You are not logged in.

#6026 2017-08-11 08:02:52

lquidfire

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Cheers for the tip, Texbrew!

Today, no flickering. I moved the WiFi box away from the computer. Because of cable-shortage everything is right next to each other. Not sure if WiFi and HDMI do interfere, but hey. So I am happy :) It wasn't an Arch problem anyhow - was just as bad on Ubuntu. Strangely enough not on W10, though. That's why I figured it to be a driver-issue.

Heineken isn't the most popular I don't think.. Much like Bud? But widely sold, and a good grip on the bars ;) And yes, the beers are owned by a hand ful of companies in the world. I spend some nights in Chicago tasting some local brews as well - those are the things to go for if you ask me :)

Anyhow, hope all are having a good time installing and setting up their Arch! It's quite fun if you take the time to sit down for it and if you enjoy learning more about that box that can do all kinds of things for you if you know how to talk its language! :>

Cheerio!
Edmund

Edit: Also notice that the entry for Graphics (Gnome System Details view) now says 'AMD(R) Polaris10', instead of 'unknown'. That might be a big help with regards to the screen issues.

Last edited by lquidfire (2017-08-11 13:02:32)

#6027 2017-08-11 19:10:16

Texbrew

Glad to hear you fixed the screen flicker.

I agree that small, locally brewed beers are often better than the big brother brews. In your opinion, what are the best beers from Holland and south Africa?

tex

#6028 2017-08-12 13:23:46

Lone_Wolf

Although my favorite is a belgian beer  (Westmalle tripel ) , Hertog Jan Grand Prestige also tastes very good .
It has 10% alcohol, don't update your system after you've had  a few of those !

The brewery is less then 25 km (approx 17 miles) away from where i live.

Hertog Jan Grand Prestige

Sorry, no idea if they export it.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6029 2017-08-13 10:30:47

lquidfire

Hoi Lone_Wolf smile

Sure liked to drink Westmalle, but prefered Floreffe. HJ... hmm smile

Anyhow, I mostly drink amber ales, or 'pils'.

We can buy quite a bit of 'home-stuff' here in SA, but you pay a price for it..

Only beers I've had heer are Castle Lager (stay away from that watery stuff...) and Windhoek (from Namibia). Nothing to write home about.

Edit: Moved stuff about screen flickering to a new thread I opened for help: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1730259.

Cheerio!

Last edited by lquidfire (2017-08-13 12:56:10)

#6030 2017-08-13 23:36:21

pabulum

Hello obscure people,

And sorry, but Arch didn't rock at all without having me forgeting about pushable buttons, sliders, popping stuff, my dear pointer, plugs to play and resizable whatevers.

Sensual indeed.

In fact, when unsuccesfully installing for the fourth time, I kinda started missing those invisible walls, signals of an incoming and inevitable reinstallation.

About Beer, and my sincerest apologies to Belgium and Germanium aside, The Duchesse Anne Triple by Lancelot, if you please, followed closely by other Lancelot, please still please, is the finest strong beer that you can find in Britanny, meaning the whole world to me.

Yec'mad!

#6031 2017-08-14 02:55:34

Texbrew

Apologies for dropping the capital 'S' in South Africa.

I may get spanked by a moderator for continuing the beer talk in this thread... hope not.

I have enjoyed a number of Belgian beers including Westmalle Tripel, Chimay Blue, Chimay Red, and a few others I no longer remember because too much time has passed. I brewed a Chimay clone a couple times from recipe kits, and they were fairly close to the real thing and tasted pretty good. Just not quite as good. I have tasted some American "Belgian Style" beers that were OK.

When I took up home brewing a number of years ago, I realized I didn't really know much about beer. In an attempt to figure out what beers were worth brewing at home, I embarked on a quest to sample a huge variety of beers over the course of two or three years. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. I had the pleasure of tasting some of the best beers in the world, in my opinion. Most of them were from Europe - Belgium, Germany, England, Scotland, and of course Ireland (Guiness and Harp Lager). This quest also included scores of American craft beers from near home and around the country. I have my favorites from both sides of the Atlantic.

I realize all of this sounds like bragging, but that is not my intent. I just wanted to share my love for great beer with a few like-minded people, and that more properly belongs in another thread, even another forum.

pabulum wrote:

And sorry, but Arch didn't rock at all without having me forgeting about pushable buttons, sliders, popping stuff, my dear pointer, plugs to play and resizable whatevers.

Sensual indeed.

In fact, when unsuccesfully installing for the fourth time, I kinda started missing those invisible walls, signals of an incoming and inevitable reinstallation.

Apologies, but my Texas eyes and brain are struggling to understand what you mean with those phrases. You did mention reinstallation. I say, go for it. Getting Arch installed right for your own needs is much more rewarding than letting a big distro install everything but the kitchen sink for you - in my opinion.

As to beers from Britanny, I haven't had the pleasure of tasting Lancelot's Duchess Anne Triple, Uh-oh, I just did a search on that one, it's brewed in France? Don't know if it's available within driving distance from here. Two favorites from England leap to mind, though, (1) Fuller's ESB and (2) Fuller's London Pride. Theakston's Old Peculier is a memorable one, and I have some Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter in the fridge right now. I love English India Pale Ales, but can rarely find them.

OK, that's enough.

Cheers, and Happy Arching!

tex

#6032 2017-08-14 09:03:37

manjuen

Hello, everyone!

I'm from HK. I love DIY, that's why I love Arch. I wanna tune it as what I like.

Currently I've installed Arch on my SSD in Asus laptop, but encountered some boot loader problems. I'm searching for solutions.

(leaving a remarkable footprint here -- in my life)

#6033 2017-08-14 15:56:18

carbonbasednerd

Hi everyone!

Just recently switched my laptop to Arch from Mint. Currently running GNOME and digging it.

#6034 2017-08-14 16:04:02

beppo

Hi everyone, currently customizing Arch Linux with i3wm until it fits my needs so that I can get rid of Windows 10 as my main OS.
So far I'm loving it.

#6035 2017-08-14 16:32:29

anti4r

Hello! 16 y/o computer enthusiast here
Originally started with Antergos, but quickly migrated to vanilla Arch. I run GNOME/i3wm and im using Arch just for fun, bc linux is cool smile
Dual boot with windows still, as a safety, but im probably never going back big_smile

#6036 2017-08-14 19:07:50

Texbrew

Hi manjuen, last night, I heard on a radio talk show  that on average, the people of Hong Kong have the highest IQ in the world! Congratulations on that.

My Thinkpad + SSD + Arch Linux is like a lightning bolt. I like to call it "The Bullet Train". I'm sure you are going to enjoy Arch on your Asus + SSD. I hope you get your boot loader  issue worked out.

anti4r, I clung to a windows machine for a year or two while I was getting acquainted with linux. so I think it's normal to have doubts about doing without it.

Welcome all!

tex

#6037 2017-08-17 09:09:11

BasementHacker
Website

Hello everyone. My legal name is Grant Stone (AKA #BasementHacker online). I have been using Arch for about a solid 3 years now. I absolutely love it.
I have used Arch Linux before in the past (I've been using GNU/Linux for about a decade now). I started with Ubuntu, as everyone did who was new to Linux.
After about a year of using Ubuntu Linux I decided to make the leap (okay, for me it was a leap) to Debian Linux. Which I swore was the best Operating System on the planet for about 7ish years.
Clearly I was wrong. Because then I discovered Gentoo and Arch Linux. Gentoo is still far too cumbersome and lacks that Arch Linux community with all
the extremely detailed WiKi entries; and the kindness and willingness of the Arch Linux community far proceeds any other Linux Community I've come across in the past decade.
Anyways, I just wanted to officially say hello and thank you to all of those who have helped me along this journey. The vanilla packages, the Arch User Repository, and most importantly
the community itself are what makes Arch Linux the best OS in my opinion. Thank you all for the help you've already provided, and the help which I look forward
to in the future. Thank you all.

#6038 2017-08-17 11:34:22

Awebb

What a bold introduction.

#6039 2017-08-17 13:32:19

lquidfire

Awebb wrote:

Hehe!

Welcome all, good to see new faces here frequently.

#6040 2017-08-17 14:06:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

BasementHacker wrote:

Gentoo is still far too cumbersome and lacks that Arch Linux community with all the extremely detailed WiKi entries

To be fair, the arch wiki (as great as it is) really stepped up to fill the void when the Gentoo wiki was nuked.  Prior to that, the gentoo wiki was excellent.

Last edited by Trilby (2017-08-17 14:06:55)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6041 2017-08-17 14:07:00

BasementHacker
Website

Awebb wrote:

Heh. It's so that my eyes can read the text better. I don't have the best eyesight. Not terrible eyesight, but not the worst either. It just helps me out a little to have things bold by default.

#6042 2017-08-18 17:27:29

loneranger007

Hello everyone...from India.
Just trashed my windows for arch. Infact this is the first time im trying linux without a dualboot.
Feel good here with this awesome support.
Never ever going back to windows.

Where there is a shell, there is a way.

#6043 2017-08-18 18:55:35

Texbrew

loneranger007, interesting username. A combination of my favorite good guy when I was a kid, and my favorite spy when I was still a kid.

That's a bold move, ditching windows dual boot for all-in Arch Linux. My hat is off to you. Did you do this on your only PC or laptop?

I'm never, ever going back to windows, either.

Seeing that you have a number of posts already, I'm not sure if this is your first post in the "Hello" thread.

Either way, welcome aboard.

BasementHacker, I was tempted to asked why you were banned. Instead, I took a peek at your user profile, where it seems you chose "Banned" as a title?

tex

edit: added comment/question to BasementHacker.

Last edited by Texbrew (2017-08-18 19:00:48)

#6044 2017-08-18 19:10:27

fsckd
Forum Fellow

They are actually banned.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#6045 2017-08-18 19:16:01

Texbrew

fsckd wrote:

Oh. I won't ask why, I'll just look for clues in their posts.

tex

edit: did a quick look, saw a clue in BasementHacker's response to jwr, decided to move on.

Last edited by Texbrew (2017-08-18 19:24:34)

#6046 2017-08-18 20:33:41

Awebb

fsckd wrote:

I'm not sure I'll ever get used to this pluralis obfuscatis.

#6047 2017-08-20 22:18:29

archxero

Hi everyone!!!
I have been using Arch for months and is a great OS. I wont lie to you all, I had a lot of problems after the installation and i got panic, but with luck i could solved the most of them xD.
I want to be part of this forum to know, help and get help from this community.
Thanks you all, and have a nice day!

#6048 2017-08-20 23:32:44

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Awebb wrote:
fsckd wrote:

I'm not sure I'll ever get used to this pluralis obfuscatis.

*ey

Last edited by Alad (2017-08-20 23:33:40)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#6049 2017-08-21 02:32:38

Texbrew

archxero, Welcome aboard, and I hope you continue to solve problems and enjoy Arch Linux.

tex

#6050 2017-08-21 08:54:58

saurabhlambe

Hello fellow Arch users!
I'm Saurabh from India who spent a whole night installing and playing around Arch Linux. I'm thrilled to be on-board the vast community of this amazing Linux flavour! smile

I just have one question though: How do I change a user home directory to a different partition (/dev/sda4) from my root one (/dev/sda2) ? So that whenever I log into my terminal, the "present working directory" should be somewhere on the /sda/sda2.

Thanks in advance! smile

Board footer