You are not logged in.

#6126 2017-10-17 02:47:43

Rio6

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

My progress of linux:

Ubuntu (Unity) -> Debian (Gnome) -> Arch (Gnome) -> Arch (KDE) -> Arch (xfce) -> Arch (awesome)

I've been using Arch for an year and I love it.

Tried i3 but i3blocks uses more cpu than awesome for some reason (At least on my computer) so I prefer awesome

#6127 2017-10-17 03:48:08

jonathanleslie

Hello everyone

I've been using Arch for almost a year, before i've been using zorin - a ubuntu base distro for almost 5 years

today is an exiting day for me, because finally - FINALLY!!! i got pass the arch forum registration question big_smile haha ( i feel stupid )

i never knew 'how' to get the answer when i just tried out arch

i'm still a newbie though and i appreciate all the help i'll be getting from today onward

thanks mr.google for the correct way to answer the registration riddle big_smile

#6128 2017-10-17 16:01:40

asmateus

Hello

Everybody has a bit of truth in them

#6129 2017-10-18 01:53:34

Texbrew

Several new members have posted here in the past few days, some more experienced with linux than others, some have been using Arch for a while. Wherever you are on your Arch journey, I hope you enjoy using and learning from my favorite OS - Arch, of course. Welcome aboard.

#6130 2017-10-18 17:34:01

marioaria

Hello smile I'm a long time Ubuntu user who finally got Arch installed. So far so good tongue

#6131 2017-10-19 02:59:46

applebaps
Website

Hey there everyone!

I switched over to Linux after getting completely fed up with a lot of the changes enacted in Windows 10 that kept locking me out of things I wanted to do, and chose Arch as my first distro because the "Arch Way" sounded exactly up my alley, particularly with its user centrality and simplicity.  I've been using Arch for ... oh, I dunno.  Maybe 6 months?  8?  I live in Alaska, and I'm a doctor's assistant by trade, with a bachelor's in mathematics.

After learning Arch a bit, I've branched out to other distros for various niche applications (like Bodhi for some older computers at work that are 32 bit, or Ubuntu for my husband's Steam streaming computer in the living room for ease of use), but on my own machine and wherever possible, I'm an Archer all the way.  I love how customizable it is, how absolutely every single thing is completely under my control on my computer.  That's how it should always be.  I still have plenty of silly questions from time to time, though.

I still dual-boot on my computer, sadly, though from separate HDDs for stability/safety.  My current project is to convert my husband to Linux, and he's given me his stipulation: it has to do everything his Windows computer does, which includes playing several recently-released games such as MvC Infinite and R6 Siege.  We're most of the way there, except for a few key programs.  So I'm currently looking to do whatever I can to get his favorite programs working in Linux, to show him it's possible.

I'd also like to step up at this point and help the community in any way I can.  If I don't know how to do something, I'll learn.  Nothing can stop me now that Arch has taught me I'm stronger than I thought I was!  I look forward to posting with yall.

Last edited by applebaps (2017-10-19 03:10:38)

#6132 2017-10-19 12:07:25

jD91mZM2
Website

Hello! Comin' strait from Ubuntu here.

I'm happy to be here, but I'm afraid of what will happen when my computer breaks down. (I'll have to install Arch... AGAIN D:)

Arch is amazing though! While it's not the most supported distro, it's certainly the most fun one.
I mean, seriously! Stuff like NeoVim and KeePassXC are in pacman!! How amazing is that? Very!
Also, the name pacman is just amazing. Reminds me of the pacman constantly.
I love that guy, even though I'm young enough to never have played the original game.

Thank you all for the distrobution, the wikis and the general fun.
big_smile

#6133 2017-10-19 23:06:46

Texbrew

Welcome aboard, y'all. marioaria, enjoy the switch from Ubuntu.

applebaps, don't think I didn't notice you used "yall" in your post. Not poking fun at you, I use it all the time. I hope you succeed in converting hubby to linux. If you do, he will likely come around to Arch, eventually. It sounds like you're having a ton of fun with it, and you have a great attitude. You are embracing the learning - one of the key reasons why I chose Arch.

jD91mZM2, likewise, enjoy the switch. I understand your fear of breaking Arch. Unless you just want to practice installing afresh, I think it's rarely necessary to do that. If something goes wrong, do a search on the problem. Chances are high you will find the fix without having to reinstall.

I wonder what you meant when you said, "it's not the most supported distro". If you mean the Arch Community isn't the most supportive, I think the community is very supportive, provided you do your homework before you ask for help.

My method to avoid breakage is to read the "Active" forum posts before I upgrade (update) my system, to look for problems other people have which may be likely to affect my setup - hardware and software. Next, I uprade Arch running in a virtual machine under another distro first. If no problems arise, I upgrade my hardware Arch install. It isn't a perfect guard against breakage, but it boosts my confidence a notch. But then, I'm sort of a belt & suspenders kind of guy when it comes to my Arch machine, overly cautious to a fault, you could say.

tex

#6134 2017-10-20 01:51:05

applebaps
Website

Texbrew wrote:

applebaps, don't think I didn't notice you used "yall" in your post. Not poking fun at you, I use it all the time. I hope you succeed in converting hubby to linux. If you do, he will likely come around to Arch, eventually. It sounds like you're having a ton of fun with it, and you have a great attitude. You are embracing the learning - one of the key reasons why I chose Arch.

haha, thanks!  And yeah it is definitely fun.  Haven't felt this empowered in front of a keyboard since .... the early 90s, I think.  Case in point: I was going to ask a question on the forums about a problem with Steam not starting up, but instead I troubleshooted it myself and it works now.  The version of me that had been slowly lulled into a mere "end user" over time would not have been able to handle what was required.  I feel like a badass all the time tongue

#6135 2017-10-22 13:31:56

carmelom
Website

Hi everybody,
I'm a PhD in experimental physics of ultracold atoms, using Linux distros since more than 5 years. I mantain my lab's software (mostly Debian-based) and last year i settled on Arch for my personal use thanks to a friend's suggestion... It's really cool, I find it particularly suitable for scientific computations and programming thanks to the well mantained repositories (both the official and the AUR). And it's also good for "educational" use, despite not being targeted to new Linux users it teaches you a lot about the machine you're using everyday!

Thanking you for the infinite amount of hints and answers that this forum and the wiki already gave me, I hope to give back my two cents!
Hello

carmelom

#6136 2017-10-23 21:44:09

Texbrew

applebaps wrote:

...but instead I troubleshooted it myself and it works now. ...I feel like a badass all the time tongue

Isn't it a great feeling when you solve a problem like that for yourself? There is plenty of support here when you are really stuck, but nothing matches the satisfaction one gets from  fixing one's own problems. In our fast food culture, a lot of people have the attitude, "I want ANSWERS, and I want them NOW!" That attitude leads to unanswered posts on the Arch forums.

Congrats on fixing Steam, and may all your future issues prompt you to dig out the answers.

carmelom, Welcome to the forums. Arch is an amazing distro.

#6137 2017-10-25 19:40:38

nemesis9

Hello Everyone,

My name is Anthony and my handle is nemesis9 but everyone knows me as Tony.  (Apologies to the Beatles - Rocky Raccoon)
I am a long time Linux user (since '96) and I'm a software engineer.  I've used lots of distros over the years, mainly Redhat/Fedora,  OpenSuse, and Ubuntu,  but here is why I came to Arch.

I have an old laptop that I was running Ubuntu on.  Started out with 14.04 LTS.  Well after upgrading a few times it was on 16.04 LTS, and it has become a dog.
I've stopped liking gnome / KDE etc.   I don't want 50 million packages I don't use, and I got tired of my windows going grayscale because it can't handle doing some task.
Then, I need to force quit things.  I only starting using Ubuntu because of work anyway.

Arch has been on my radar for a while, so yesterday it was the last straw and I blew away Ubuntu and installed Arch on the laptop. 
What a joy, it's like the old days in a way, but also like the new days since it seems to be on top of all the latest good stuff.

My installation goals were as follows:
- I must only use the wireless network during installation.
- I must use UEFI, (my laptop supports it)
- I must use systemd boot and no grub
- The desktop environment must be clean and lightweight.

Got it all installed in a couple hours, with Cinnamon Desktop.   

I did run into the keyboard/mouse not working after resume problem (not an Arch specific problem BTW), but I wrote a systemd service script and worked around that.
I appreciate the wiki, awesome!

Anyway, hello again and it's great to be an Arch noob,  I feel 10 years younger already!

- nemesis9

#6138 2017-10-26 18:07:29

Clickster

Howdy!
This is my first post here. I installed Arch Linux last night because I realized I was trying to force other OS's to do what Arch already does by default. I have used Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, and then Manjaro for a good while. I started forcing Manjaro into the 'Unstable' branch because I wanted the software upgrades as soon as Arch released them.

After much reading and studying of the Arch Wiki I decided to go ahead and give the install a try and get the ball rolling.
I completed the install and so far all has been smooth sailing.

I look forward to getting to know you all more and eventually becoming a contributor to the Arch community.

See ya around.

Last edited by Clickster (2017-10-26 18:27:16)

Arch|KDE

#6139 2017-10-28 12:00:47

Cbhihe

Hi all !
I'm one month old on the Arch timeline and so far, although the learning curve's been steep at times, I enjoy learning to learn from Wiki and from troubleshooting... That hopefully will stay in spite of the pressure to get things done, because I experiment with my production machine and sometimes need to deliver things as soon as "yesterday" and that requires implementing or configuring something on Arch I've never done before.

The way I came to Arch is: Unix (Berkeley V) ->  Apple (back in the days before the powerPC and Next) ->  Windows (xp was my last used version) -> Ubuntu 14.04 -> 16.10 -> 17.04 - Arch (lately with the Gnome DE, running  with gdm on Xorg).

I now run Arch primarily on a Dell XPS 15 model 9560, for which Dell does not support anything beside the well known virus they call "Window 10".
I did not even bother to run a dual boot machine to be on the safe side production-wise; I zapped Win10 and first installed Ubuntu Zesty Zapus (17.04). This gave me two classes of problems: Wifi with Gnome NetworkManager) ran extremely slow and degraded and the NVIDIA GTX 1050 discrete graphics  black-screened my machine at boot on a regular basis and gray-scaled it a few times too many after boot.

So 3 Ubuntu reinstall later, I went on to Arch, advised by a friend who gave me a few hours of his life to explain the philosophy behind it, which essentially is "RTFW and learn to help yourself... but you can ask me any questions anytime"....
Many days of not working on my tan later, I found myself finally understanding a lot more about what drives a Linux machine. Systemd, PAM, networking, xorg vs Wayland etc. and I don't think I can ever go back, although at times, when the pressure to get things done is felt and the going gets tough, ...

So far I have not gone back to touching the NVIDIA proprietary graphics driver, just relying on the embedded Intel graphics card (which is plenty enough for any CS grad, who's not also a gamer of a graphic designer I should think). But when the time comes to run paralleized jobs with CUDA, the bridge to NVIDIA GTX 1050 might be difficult to cross.

So thank you to the community and the maintainer and the authors and contributors to the Wikis....

Archlinux is so far the best Linux that's happened to me.

-ced

Last edited by Cbhihe (2017-10-28 13:24:26)

I like strawberries, therefore I'm not a bot.

#6140 2017-10-29 16:17:24

Abovegame

Hi guys!

The linux operating system i've used till now are Ubuntu,Kali and the last but not least Arch.This sums up to roughly the last two years of linux usage.I still consider myself a beginner since there is a lot of things i'm not familiar with, but i'm slowly learning smile.

The main reason why i choose Arch?
Not entirely sure, but it was a new experience having to set it up from scratch unlike other operating systems.I'm also looking forward to learn more from the forum.

Cheers!

#6141 2017-11-01 23:21:39

Texbrew

Welcome aboard, y'all.

nemesis9 wrote:

I don't want 50 million packages I don't use, ...but I wrote a systemd service script and worked around that.

Hey Tony, moving away from distros which install everything but the kitchen sink is an often heard reason for moving to Arch. Very cool that you wrote your own systemd script. I'd guess you are seeing an improvement in performance.

Clickster, It may not always be smooth sailing, but I bet it will be fun.

Cbhihe, your avatar #! suggests you may have once used Crunchbang (RIP, Crunchbang), though you didn't mention it. You did mention pressure to get things done twice, so I hope that doesn't cause you to abandon Arch. Meanwhile, I hope Arch serves you well.

Abovegame, most any learning experience is good experience.

Enjoy the ride, y'all.

#6142 2017-11-02 14:05:57

luminousnine

Greetings from the Arctic!

A SysAdmin and a student developer here, I've been an avid Linux enthusiast ever since the early 00s but not really an active user until last winter when i decided to move on permanently from closed source systems. 6 months after falling love with the Pacman package management system through various other OS', it brought me closer to Arch but i had a hard time with getting it right so i had to settle for more automated installs and derivatives, until recently. So as of two days, i'm finally rocking pure Arch along with two other heavier OS on my main desktop PC.
I needed a system that was no-nonsense, only the packages i choose to install and a simple desktop to go with. I also found i3 along the way and there's simply no going back. I'm in love with this combination.

WIth that said, i am still learning the inner workings of the system itself and i have a long way to go in my training in terms of administration but now i have the rest of my life to get to know Archie.
I've lost count with the(now hundreds?) of installs and reinstalls of various distributions  over the years including Ubuntu, Mint, CentOS and others but this is one that will definitely stay with me. smile

Last edited by luminousnine (2017-11-02 14:06:56)

The only truly dangerous idea left in the world is settling
for an adequate description of how things really are. -Me

#6143 2017-11-03 15:32:20

Texbrew

luminousnine, that was a very well presented introduction. Welcome Aboard.

I have done my share of distro hopping since I discovered the amazing world of linux, although I think I can only count dozens, not hundreds of flavors in roughly seven years of use. I still actively use three distros, with Arch being my hands-down favorite.

I'm sure you would have mentioned it, but I'm compelled to ask - did you ever meet Linus Torvalds?

#6144 2017-11-03 16:56:01

luminousnine

Happy to be here. smile

Texbrew wrote:

...although I think I can only count dozens, not hundreds of flavors in roughly seven years of use.

Ah yes, i meant that only the amount of installs are probably up in hundreds by now, but the distros themselves are probably still under 10, if i include the times i've tinkered with VirtualBox.

I'm sure you would have mentioned it, but I'm compelled to ask - did you ever meet Linus Torvalds?

No i haven't, he moved to the States in mid 90s and i was still playing video games being a little 8 year old tweeb.
    My first computer was a junkyard thing my father brought in when i was 13 years old.

#6145 2017-11-04 00:58:16

Texbrew

Gotta love VirtualBox. It has a learning curve, but it's a great way to scratch the itch to distro hop. I think my distro hopping days are over, but I still use VirtualBox to test Arch upgrades before upgrading Arch on hardware.

Yes, I thought Linus was living in the States,  but did not know how long he had been here.

I bet your father thinks that junkyard computer was his best find...

#6146 2017-11-04 13:07:40

luminousnine

Texbrew wrote:

I bet your father thinks that junkyard computer was his best find...

Yes, we joked about it for a while but we both had computers salvaged from other people's throwaway parts.
They had a certain quality of charm to them for sure. You never forget your first one, especially when you use it for all the stuff you're passionate about from the start. smile

#6147 2017-11-08 20:44:45

coralof

Hello guys!

My name is Cora. I'm a long time user of Linux, but this is my first foray into the world of Arch Linux. My past OS experience includes Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, openSUSE and many more.

#6148 2017-11-09 16:38:21

Texbrew

Hi Cora, Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your Arch experience and participation here.

#6149 2017-11-10 02:40:08

capitan

Hello guys,
This is my first time in my life using another Linux distro, i choose Arch linux, but still love Debian actually smile Two days ago i decided to install it on my actual machine (bye virtualbox) and it tooks 3 times installation process (2x failed because of UEFI) and finally it works with my favorite DE = Xfce4

#6150 2017-11-10 05:14:37

BeansnRice

Hello everyone! One thing I like about arch is the volume of topics that I can read and learn more about.

Board footer