You are not logged in.

#6176 2017-11-27 23:22:23

Wule

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone,

I almost have no experience with Linux but I like to challange myself so Arch was first choice. So far I am quite happy with what I got myself into

P.S. I am Information Technology student so I am good at googling stuff

#6177 2017-12-02 00:53:22

b1ng05

Hello Guys , a newbie n00b here ! I think Arch is one of the most powerful distro nowadays , I think pacman is powerful and flexible (like yum of red hat ) , I like the fact that anyone can learn a lot about linux kernel  in a short time , I'll try to be active and post so often !

thank you smile

"There's that line from Newton about standing on the shoulders of giants. We're all standing on Dennis' shoulders."

Brian Kernighan

#6178 2017-12-04 04:39:36

kailashkatheth
Website

hello i m back again arch , i m using i3 any tips

#6179 2017-12-04 04:47:29

Docbroke

kailashkatheth wrote:

....any tips

pointed ones or the blunt ones, we have got both at archforums wink

Welcome back!

#6180 2017-12-04 09:02:42

GWM

I was using Manjaro for few months, and I hope I am experienced enough now, to use Arch!
So, hello everyone smile

Last edited by GWM (2017-12-04 09:03:25)

#6181 2017-12-05 03:14:02

Seenivasan

Hello Arch'ers.....

#6182 2017-12-05 19:39:36

Generowicz

Hey guys,

after user openSUSE ("i know i shoud be ashamed of myself") for mutiple years i decided it was time for a change,
after stumbleing upon arch i new i found a new home.
now i relize how lazy/spoilt i have become with everything being done for me, but im up for the chalange and am already learning loads in a short amount of time

#6183 2017-12-05 19:56:41

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

kailashkatheth wrote:

i m using i3 any tips

https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html

#6184 2017-12-06 08:31:13

tydynrain
Website

Greetings everyone.

My name is Tydyn, and among many other things, I'm a techie geek. I was using and hacking Windows on and off since around Windows 98, and hacking my Samsung Galaxy S phones before I ever got into Linux. It was actually due to Windows Vista having completely messed up my phone while I was flashing something via Odin that was the catalyst that got me into Linux. My phone was out of operation for 15 days, when I had the intuitive hunch that it was Windows that screwed it up. I was already looking into various Linux distibutions, to see where I should begin, and I finally decided to give Ubuntu (11.10) a try. I was honestly blown away by how much better it worked than Windows, plus it looked way cooler. Also, incidentally, I was able to fix my phone in Ubuntu without even trying.

That started a long process of exploring various distributions (I honestly can't even remember how many), though I finally returned to Ubuntu to stay for years. I was always testing, exploring, experimenting, fucking up, and fixing my installs, and I got so good at it with Ubuntu, that that is where I remained for 6 years, as I knew the system quite well, I knew how to set up my base system very quickly, how to add the necessary repositories, how to get everything I needed reinstalled and reconfigured, and how to fix the things that inevitably went wrong during release upgrades. For most of that time I had a dual-boot system, with Windows 8.1/10, and Ubuntu.

It was only this year, in September, that I began looking around for another distribution, as I found myself getting more and more annoyed with the direction that Canonical and Ubuntu were headed. Arch kept popping up on my radar, yet, because I was so accustomed to using GUI installers, I didn't think I was quite ready for the official way to install Arch (hell, I had tried to install Gentoo 3 or 4 times without full success). So i looked for an Arch-based distro that was as close to Arch as possible. I finally settled on Antergos. The installation (on September 19th) went flawlessly, and when I booted it up, I opened up a terminal and just started exploring. I started searching for my necessary software, and to my utter amazement, I easily found just about everying for which I was seeking. Not only that, but I was blown away by the efficiency of pacman, as well as pacaur. Over the next couple weeks I dove deeper and deeper into the inner workings of my system, and basically fell in love. I began to feel excitement again about an OS.

Soon after installing Antergos, I did some research, and found a way to convert my Antergos system into Arch proper, which I did. That install is still going strong. Yes, I've had occasional issues, but I've been able to surmount every single challenge which has arisen, in large part due to the absolutely phenomenal Arch community, the Wiki, and these forums. That install is now part of a triple-boot system, with Windows 10, Arch, and Ubuntu, with a shared Syncthing data partition. I rarely use Windows or Ubuntu much any longer.

After becoming more and more deeply involved, excited, and entralled by Arch, I decided if I really wanted to get good at the Arch system and universe, that I needed to install it the official way, which I did on a spare hard drive. The first attempt went mostly well, though something got borked around permissions after I had pretty much everything up and running. Given that I wanted to get good at the install process, I wiped the first attempted install, and tried again. The second try, because I learn quickly, went far quicker (say 5ish hours down to maybe 2 or 3), and worked perfectly well. I installed and set up everything (wireless, graphics, DE, xorg, lightdm, a greeter, grub, users, etc...) while still at the command line in the installer, so when I finally booted it up, I had a fully functional, efficient, and beautiful Arch installation. That install was on November 4/5th. That install is actually the one from which I'm typing this. :-)

Also, since the ethernet port on my laptop is a bit wonky, I installed completely via wireless. I was actually pretty proud of myself for getting good at getting wireless up and running and connected to my network completely via the command line. Pretty freaking cool.

In any case, I've become a bit of a passionate Arch fanatic. It is by far the most  amazing version of Linux, or any OS, that I've ever used. The Official Arch Repositories, the Unofficial Arch Repositories, AUR, ABS, the Wiki, the Forums, IRC, the whole bloody community, is truly above and beyond excellent. Thank you all, deeply. :-D

Tydyn.

Last edited by tydynrain (2018-02-11 18:53:22)

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux Forever!

#6185 2017-12-08 04:25:25

S4Rs

Hello.  I have installed Arch now once on an intel nuc core i3.  Looking to install a lot more smile  I have been using Ubuntu for a long time on several machines.  Some as desktops and some as appliances.  As my hardware gets older and linux evolves things seems very unstable on the LTS release.  Sometimes its due to bad upgrades as one of my Mobos fought with UEFI, while another fought with Intel graphics.   I also have been using Red Hat for the past 10 years at my job, writing and integrating C++ and Java applications on linux in a corporate cubicle environment.    I have watched in the past 2 years as IT has struggled with new constructs like systemd, how to properly tune for VM deployment, and how to properly handle hardware graphics acceleration on remote machines as examples.  It now clearer than one manual where

sed 's/UNIX/LINUX/'

happened 25 years ago is not good enough. 

So that is why I am here.  Because the first time I installed Arch I actually ended up with less functionality than the installer had.  No internet.  No sudo.  no users, no X.  It was scary and liberating.   But I X/dwm installed, and then added chrome and kodi with the mythtv pvr plugin.  Also got bluetooth output to a speaker via pulseaudio.  The wiki was great.  Hoping to contribute with some clerical updates from where I stumbled a bit. 

Big Ups to this video which made me jump in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfC5hgdtbWY&t=

What are peoples opinions on Wayland?  I am very curious to see how graphics play out on the AMD chips coming out between the new Threadripper APUs, and the Intel/AMD project.  AMD native support has sucked in the past.

#6186 2017-12-08 11:53:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Welcome S4Rs.  Initially booting arch is a bit of a culture shock (especially in contrast to the *buntus), but this doesn't quite add up:

S4Rs wrote:

the first time I installed Arch I actually ended up with less functionality than the installer had.  No internet.  No sudo.  no users, no X.

The installer has no sudo, no (non-root) users, and no X.  It does have some wireless networking tools that are not part of a base install, but that's about it, and dhcpcd is enabled by default - it's present in a base install, but not enabled automatically though part of the installation guide does direct one to install/configure networking tools.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6187 2017-12-09 07:17:11

user261

Hello all

#6188 2017-12-10 12:20:17

marakasmalan

Hello Folks

Been using Arch Linux for a bit more than a year now. Now reached the point where I ditched other OS's. Arch Linux has been my first Linux exposure.

My computer is a workhorse and tool of the trade
Linux 4.14.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 5 19:10:06 UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
My personal laptop:
Linux 4.13.12-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Nov 8 11:54:06 CET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Not forum related
A media centre device
Linux raspi 4.9.67-1-ARCH #1 SMP Tue Dec 5 20:22:35 UTC 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
2x raspberry pi's running PicorePlayer (given their purpose requires no hands-on Linux intervention or activity that I know of for now)
A NAS running an outdated Linux OS
Linux 2.6.31.8.duov2 #1 Thu Apr 18 18:24:47 HKT 2013 armv5tel GNU/Linux

My next project will be to set up a microserver running on Arch Linux to replace the ageing NAS

Though I have not been active on the forum, it has been a MASSIVE source of help and knowledge. Looking forward to becoming an active participant and, where possible, provide assitance.

regards

Last edited by marakasmalan (2017-12-10 12:21:06)

#6189 2017-12-12 12:53:25

InsecureSpike

hello everyone, really interested in learning as much linux as my spare time allows, I've been messing around with the raspberry pi since around 2014, doing a little bit here and there, but no real hardcore learning, just maybe the ultra basics. from reading up a little it looks like archlinux is a good place to start or carry on my learning and understanding

#6190 2017-12-12 13:36:16

lo1

InsecureSpike wrote:

hello everyone, really interested in learning as much linux as my spare time allows, I've been messing around with the raspberry pi since around 2014, doing a little bit here and there, but no real hardcore learning, just maybe the ultra basics. from reading up a little it looks like archlinux is a good place to start or carry on my learning and understanding

It surely is. It's been 3 months since I made the switch (been a mainstream pc user for a long time) and I have to say that there's really much to learn.
Though much of the learning for me is coming from attending the forums, because I'm keeping my system as stable as I can, with minimum customization and avoiding unnecessary complication -> breakages.
Someone here likes to have the "arch-daily-driver" partition(s) and the "arch-let's-break-things" one(s), that doubles up the chance to learn IMHO.

#6191 2017-12-16 19:25:11

faceyneck

Hello, Arch Community, :-)

I seem to have a really big passion for working with Linux. It's not something I do professionally, but it is my preferred operating system. Recently decided to give Arch a try, after using Debian-based distros for years and years.

I'm hoping I'll be able to maintain a stable system with the help of y'all here in the forums.

I first installed Arch Anywhere, but it bugged me that I'd installed Arch that way, and I knew that - although it's all similar to things I've done in the past - I'd understand the system all around a lot better if I took the time to install it proper. Installing Arch with the actual Arch Linux install ISO was invaluable, and also there were a few things Arch Anywhere installer didn't setup right that ended up causing my web browser to take like 20 seconds to start, among other issues.

Anyway, a recent -Syu has caused some problems, so I'm off to post something about it elsewhere. Glad to be here. :-D

#6192 2017-12-16 19:37:26

Palanthis
Website

faceyneck wrote:

Anyway, a recent -Syu has caused some problems, so I'm off to post something about it elsewhere. Glad to be here. :-D

It wouldn't happen to be QT breaking, would it?

#6193 2017-12-17 17:54:55

faceyneck

Palanthis wrote:
faceyneck wrote:

It wouldn't happen to be QT breaking, would it?

I think it might just be QT breaking! Haha. I'm not sure exactly.

I've posted a description in the Newbie Corner. It's a broken desktop issue, what the cause of it is I'm not sure.

#6194 2017-12-17 17:58:24

faceyneck

lo1 wrote:

Though much of the learning for me is coming from attending the forums, because I'm keeping my system as stable as I can, with minimum customization and avoiding unnecessary complication -> breakages... .

Which particular areas of this site and the wiki would you recommend reading over and paying regular attention to, if you don't mind my asking?

#6195 2017-12-17 20:21:34

applebaps
Website

faceyneck wrote:
lo1 wrote:

Though much of the learning for me is coming from attending the forums, because I'm keeping my system as stable as I can, with minimum customization and avoiding unnecessary complication -> breakages... .

Which particular areas of this site and the wiki would you recommend reading over and paying regular attention to, if you don't mind my asking?

I know you didn't ask me, but speaking as another new person, the Newbie Corner in general is very helpful when you're starting (though the search function is your friend).  If you know exactly what the problem is but not how to fix it, the more specialized forums can be helpful as well.

Just be aware that part of the Arch Way is that people here generally assume you're going to be willing to read "man pages" and check the wiki and forums and look up definitions and such, so answers are generally given in terms understandable by people who are already knowledgeable.  If you're willing to roll up your sleeves, though, that makes the forum a nice searchable reference.

#6196 2017-12-18 14:10:08

lo1

applebaps wrote:
faceyneck wrote:

I know you didn't ask me, but speaking as another new person, the Newbie Corner in general is very helpful when you're starting (though the search function is your friend).

I don't feel like I have a say in this, but I'm thinking the sub-forums to attend may vary according to your personal tastes.
Surely the Newbie Corner is a great start, read the last 2-3 pages and you won't be asking for something which has been said over and over again, but I suggest you read also the Dustbin and the Topics Going Nowhere, so you'll know how to avoid pissing off people.
The rest of the forum is really about tastes and what you like to do with your PC, and if you feel like you want to stay in the forums to share some thoughts or to know other users, the Off-Topic and Try This is where you can land when you're doing a coffe break wink

P.S. regarding the Arch Way: people here assume that you don't ask them to do the job for you, not that you can't make mistakes. Be sure that you're trying your best (including reading and searching) before asking for support, then open a topic if necessary.
Be sure to be specific when writing your request: it'll be easier for other to help you, and sometimes you can find a solution during the process of writing, without needing to actually submit the new topic; it happened to me sometimes and it feels great.

#6197 2017-12-18 14:42:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

lo1 wrote:

I'm thinking the sub-forums to attend may vary according to your personal tastes.

I don't think subforums are used very well here to be honest.  There's not much that can be done about that when people don't think before they post.  Mods/Admins could spend 24 hours a day sorting threads into the place they should have been.  As is they tend to move the ones that are only obviously and horribly out of place (which is still quite a few).  Personally I find very little informational value in the subforum some post is in: I just ignore them and look at "recent" "active" or "unanswered" posts (the last of these is a newer habit for me based on a comment of AWebb).

lo1 wrote:

Surely the Newbie Corner is a great start

I'd not be so sure.  A large portion of N.C. posts have been moved there as a catch-all location one step above the dustbin (like a lost-and-found) when the OP didn't bother to frame their question in a remotely useful way.  Those N.C. posts are best as a lesson on what not to do when posting (a useful lesson in itself, but it's not a technical lesson on using linux).

To learn linux, don't (just) read, do.  Try things.  Make mistakes.  Learn from them.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6198 2017-12-18 15:05:19

lo1

Trilby wrote:
lo1 wrote:

Surely the Newbie Corner is a great start

I'd not be so sure.  A large portion of N.C. posts have been moved there as a catch-all location one step above the dustbin (like a lost-and-found) when the OP didn't bother to frame their question in a remotely useful way.  Those N.C. posts are best as a lesson on what not to do when posting (a useful lesson in itself, but it's not a technical lesson on using linux).

You just needed to extend my quote, I was saying more or less the same thing:

lo1 wrote:

Surely the Newbie Corner is a great start, read the last 2-3 pages and you won't be asking for something which has been said over and over again

Anyway, regarding subforums, I really don't know much about what's going on, say, in Programming and Scripting, because I haven't got into coding yet, but I have to say that I enjoy the Networking, Server and Protection: I don't feel like it's out of control or something, it's actually good (well, it would be really difficult to find ""Help me start X11" in Networking wink ) and I like it because that's what I'm occupied with nowadays and where I *think* I can help best.

P.S. I didn't want to start a discussion about this here, just clarifying my position: feel free to P.M. me or something if you think I actually didn't.

#6199 2017-12-20 00:25:26

faceyneck

applebaps wrote:
faceyneck wrote:
lo1 wrote:

I know you didn't ask me, but speaking as another new person, the Newbie Corner in general is very helpful when you're starting (though the search function is your friend).  If you know exactly what the problem is but not how to fix it, the more specialized forums can be helpful as well.

Just be aware that part of the Arch Way is that people here generally assume you're going to be willing to read "man pages" and check the wiki and forums and look up definitions and such, so answers are generally given in terms understandable by people who are already knowledgeable.  If you're willing to roll up your sleeves, though, that makes the forum a nice searchable reference.

Thanks for that input, applebaps. I appreciate your sentiment, too; rolling up your sleeves and ultimately fixing it your own damn self.

I did end up posting an issue in Newbie Corner, and ultimately I did end up fixing it myself, and then spelled that out so others can come across it if/when they have the same problem. (Long story short; Don't mess with the MIME database unless you are REALLY sure you backed everything up correctly.)

Thanks for chiming in,

Facey

#6200 2017-12-20 00:29:14

faceyneck

lo1 wrote:

....but I suggest you read also the Dustbin and the Topics Going Nowhere, so you'll know how to avoid pissing off people.
The rest of the forum is really about tastes and what you like to do with your PC, and if you feel like you want to stay in the forums to share some thoughts or to know other users, the Off-Topic and Try This is where you can land when you're doing a coffe break wink

Haha, yeah I'll definitely check out the Dustbin now! :-)

I hope it should be apparent from my tone that I'm here to learn about computers in general, especially through Arch Linux, and only post if I've already looked through the forums. Running site:bbs.archlinux.org in Google usually turns up multiple different viewpoints and get me started on the right track.

I've definitely enjoyed my brief time here thus far. I like that this forum caters only to those who have put in the effort to build a legitimate Arch install first.

Board footer