You are not logged in.

#601 2009-08-30 10:16:45

Zeddi

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello,

I've switched a few back Days after years of using OpenBSD to Archlinux because of many Problems with graphical applications, specialy Firefox and other Browsers.

Currently everything works fine and smoothly, and i really like the rolling release System and simply how fast everything works. The configurations was not as simple as I'm used to from OpenBSD, but after reading the wiki and searching the forums i get everything to run.

So, thanks a lot for these great Distribution!

I'm not very used to write English since i've left School, so please be patient!

#602 2009-08-30 12:55:09

brainbug

Hello,

From Belgium.

I switched back to archlinux after serveral years, why...? What's kind of question is that!!???
no serieus, i like the way arch works, learn more here then any other distro.

grtz

#603 2009-08-31 23:59:29

AlexFera

Hello Everyone!
My name is Alex and I'm from Romania. I moved to Arch Linux after ~6 months of Ubuntu. Arch Linux is everything I wanted big_smile .

Last edited by AlexFera (2009-09-01 00:00:29)

#604 2009-09-01 01:18:00

ezekiel2517

Hello.  I've been using Linux for about 8 months, starting with Ubuntu and its derivitives (Mint, Debian, currently still using Crunchbang).  I've admittedly gotten a little bored with "easy access" newbie distros and am eager to learn more about Linux.  Arch is very intriguing.  I'm still in the process of installing Arch on a testbed computer i'm using (396 MB RAM, Pentium 4, 40GB HD), and having a frustrating, but incredibly rewarding experience.  Looking forward to a few months of trial and error before i install on my main systems.  I still consider myself a HUGE NEWBIE, but with help from friends, i think i'll have myself a grand ole adventure.  Thanks....

#605 2009-09-01 03:04:20

fuwhereisfu

howdy smile

I am a recent convert (<2weeks) to arch linux, and linux in general. Got bored with windows and wanted to go back to when I found pc's fun hehe.. Arch is great, and I haven't found the need to run a dual boot with xp yet. I'm a complete newbie, but find being able to build the system up from basics to be very rewarding and a great learning experience. Still have a fair few problems I need to iron out but its been fun so far!

Cheers,

Matt

#606 2009-09-01 10:40:59

DrMonkey
Website

Hi.
  Computer scientist in Ha Noi, Vietnam. I use Linux since 7 years, because it's what we learned to use at the univ, and I feel comfortable with. I've been using Red Hat, then Mandriva, then Ubuntu. With time, I get familiar with basic Linux sysadmin duties, and my taste for frugality led me to Arch Linux, its philosophy just suits me perfectly. I thanks the community for the documentation, it's a good job. I'm willing to contribute.

Cheers,
DrMonkey

#607 2009-09-01 14:54:02

thewild

Another new Arch usr in Belgium !
It rules, it rocks, I love it !
It's straightforward, it is very easy to understand what you (and the system) are doing, and you always manage to get where you want to.
Cheers !

#608 2009-09-01 18:12:42

kingofsanda
Website

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time here, this forum seems like a great resource to network, meet new people, and learn new things.

#609 2009-09-02 19:54:31

darthsabbath

Hello, world!

I'm Phil, and I just joined the ranks of Arch users.  I've been using computers for many years, and regularly use and enjoy Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.  My Linux usage in recent years has been Ubuntu, and I eventually grew tired of the hand holding, so I wanted to branch out to something a little more flexible and.... well, I hate to say "vanilla," but I don't know a better word.  Let's just say the Arch Way is very appealing to me as a GNU/Linux user.  Ive noticed when you use Red Hat, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc., you learn those distros, not GNU/Linux.  With that in mind, I went off looking for a different experience, which basically came down to Arch and Slackware.  While I appreciate Slackware's contributions to the FLOSS world, I wanted something a little more bleeding edge with powerful package management... so... here I am. :-)

So far I'm loving Arch... it's certainly different... definitely a breath of fresh air.  I could see myself sticking with it as my distro of choice.

Anywoo, nice to meet everyone!

#610 2009-09-03 21:43:40

zen

Hello, I just wanted to take a moment of your time to say thank you, for providing me with the most rewarding instalation experience to date.

I've tried several other linux distros, started with ubuntu of course, moved to gentoo, became completely frusterated, moved back to ubuntu, tried fedora, migrated to freebsd.... after regrowing my hair (anyone else have major issues with free bsd... like rediculous memory usage they just couldn't solve after several full recompiles?) I was still looking for something other then n00buntu. So, the choice was between slackware or archlinux... I was sold on the rolling releases.

Long story short, I learned more during the installation about how linux actually works behind the scenes then any other linux distribution I've used. Luckily, it went without a hitch and I'm certainly enjoying having a KDE 4.3 setup that uses ~125 mb of ram.

Once I finish with the proper care and feeding of my new system, hopefully I'll be able to contribute something...

#611 2009-09-06 12:12:23

PorkysBE

Hi I'm porkysBE
from Belgium. I'm using linux since 4 years.
My first linux was a mandrake (now called mandriva), next I tried fedora,ubuntu,linux-mint.
It's my first archlinux installation.
I'm learning informatic at university.

#612 2009-09-06 12:32:05

grwn

Hello there!

My name is Gerwin and I'm from a small city in the lower regions of the Netherlands. I've been using PC's since I was four or five years old and I've always enjoyed tinkering with them, both the innards and the software. I'm quite certain it was MS Windows 3.1 that first got me started with a random bunch of cheapo games bought in bulk, and I've been using Windows 'till Vista came out. I was quite happy with my XP installation, which I tweaked the hell out of, but I wasn't 100% satisfied. So I started looking around for alternatives and quickly came around to Linux. I think it was Ubuntu 6.06 that first got me into Linux, but it might have been the next one as well. It wasn't too bad, but I didn't really enjoy working with it, so I went back to XP, but kept Ubuntu as a dualboot. A while later I came across Linux Mint and I really liked the fact that everything just worked straight out of the box (although LM6 apparently had some problems with my network and my X-Fi card took some time to get working).

I still kept my dualboot with XP, because, having an ATI card, games wouldn't play well on Linux. I started using LM more and more, and kept finding little things I didn't like about it. It was quite bloated and there was a lot of stuff I didn't need. (I'm quite a minimalist/perfectionist and I like to keep everything as clean as possible). I was/am quite proficient in Windows, but I couldn't wrap my head around this while "terminal" thing. I managed to install my X-Fi driver through it, because of the documentation, but that was about all I could do with it. So I started looking for some information about how Linux, and specifically the terminal, worked. I stumbled across Linux from Scratch and decided I wanted to try that. The documentation had my mind boggled in seconds and I decided I'd better wait a bit with that.

After that I started doing research on Distrowatch and after seeing the Arch Linux site, I was immediatly a fan. The Arch Way made it even better, so I quickly burned the x86_64 image and popped it into my drive. I'm currently trying to decide what I really want to do with it and have reinstalled it five or so times already (I really don't like having packages around that do nothing .. ). I hope to be around here a lot and become more and more proficient in Linux.

See you all around,
Gerwin

#613 2009-09-07 19:12:11

Yellowspoon

Hello,

I'm using linux since 10 years. it's the second time i use Archlinux (the first one was yesterday : x86_64 install but no wifi)...
Archlinux comes after Red Hat, Mandrake and a long time with Debian.

#614 2009-09-08 07:41:04

dissida

posting in a hello thread

#615 2009-09-08 13:19:39

InfernalNeutrino

Hi all!

I'm currently a graduate student in physics in Michigan. I've been using linux for about 2 years now, and Arch for about 2 months. Before starting my linuxy journey I knew pretty much nothing about computers, but as it happens most of my grad school work is done on debian linux boxes and I disliked Vista enough that I decided to switch OSes. I didn't really mind the thought of learning a whole new OS from scratch. After all, grad school is all about learning, right? smile

After some googling I decided to cold-turkey to Ubuntu, which probably was the best choice given my lack of knowledge about computers. After a year and a half and a LOT of learning, I started getting restless with Ubuntu. I began dabbling with Gentoo since another fellow at work uses that and swears by it, but I discovered that I still didn't know enough to make it worthwhile to switch to that distro (it's very disheartening to spend an hour compiling something only to realize you made a stupid mistake and have to do it again). Then I discovered Arch.

Ironically, I first looked at it because it had a cool logo - crisp, clean, and not overdone. When I learned about pacman and its config system, I got very excited. This seemed like something that would be a nice step up from ubuntu, but still be usable by someone as relatively inexperienced as me. After toying with the idea but not really doing anything for a few months, the 9.04 ubuntu release broke some stuff on my computer and pushed me over the edge, so I wiped by hard drive and began again with Arch.

It went beautifully. I regained all the functionality and programs I used and wanted from before in a few afternoon's work, and I found my computer being even more responsive than it was with ubuntu. Thanks to the AUR, I even have bits of my computer like it's webcam working now that I couldn't get working with ubuntu. I currently am learning about acpi and power management, since that is the only part of my computer I have yet to get going better than it was on ubuntu. I even have my wife using arch on her laptop now, and she is completely sold on linux as her OS of choice now. I hope to be around here for a good long time smile . Cheers!

#616 2009-09-08 20:08:48

Deadguy1

Hi everybody,

I come to Arch from a Redhat,Debian,Ubuntu,Linuxmint background
and I must say Arch fits my needs just fine!!
I think it's safe to say i'll be around for a while.

Cheers,

Deadguy1

Linux=Freedom

#617 2009-09-09 06:04:33

Accelerate-

Hello Arch linux world,

I'm Accelerate- (Duh) and i'm a new user of linux in general. I just began to actually get serious about linux (i mean as actually going to the websites reading reviews and etc) and have come to the conclusion that although Arch isn't user friendly in the sense of it being self compiled, it would be the best learning experience for me (i am running on Xubuntu due to my 10 yr old computer).

Ride in the fast lane, but always Accelerate.

Ride in the fast lane, but always Accelerate-

#618 2009-09-09 09:15:45

sead

Hello world,

First of all I'm french so sorry for my poor English ;-)

I'm Benoit, and I'm and arch user since 6months, coming from Gentoo.
I'm a system administrator in a big American Company and I use (L)Unix for couple of years with no regrets big_smile

I'm a bit beginner on your distribution, but I really love it because of the KISS philosophy. I love the way this distribution works for my desktop usage, I didn't test to build a server based on Archlinux, but I think that it will be one of next tasks in my geeks' todo list big_smile

Hope I won't have blocking problems, if yes then you should see me back on this forum, but as I'm french I sposed to post on Archlinux.Fr, but anyway I have linux knowledge so I will help American (or International) users on this forum if I can ;-)

Thanks for your perfect distribution,

Sead.

#619 2009-09-10 22:15:13

Seleucius

Hello!

Figured I've done enough lurking and may as well pop in to say hi.

As with so many above, Arch is precisely what I was looking for when I got frustrated with Micr/apple and decided to convert, though I didn't know it at the time. Yes, I'm an Ubuntu baby, having only switched to Linux last year, though I found that to have precisely the same flaws as the Big Two, and started poring over Distrowatch as soon as I got my head around the very basics of the system and some good internet resources. However, I knew my limitations, and opted instead to first try out different desktop environments, then different window managers, eventually working all the way down to my first kernel compile; my (admittedly non-geek) girlfriend at the time was -very- unimpressed. "You stared at that for three hours, and it looks exactly the same. Excellently done."

Fast forward six months, I start poking around other distros. Gentoo originally caught my attention for its touted highly-customizable super-fast zero-ram turbo-mode uber-ricer overdrive build system. Suffice to say, I was unimpressed. Great idea, horribly implemented; basic configuration is so scattered and symlinked that I would likely have had to inspect each and every script and tucked-away conf to really make the system do what I wanted. Maybe this is easy once you figure out where everything is, but I simply don't like that sort of atomized implementation. And I'm not really a ricer. So I vented my frustration by not only wiping the drive, but writing random 1's and 0's all over those uber-fast-supermode files, seven times over, in compliance with DoD standard, then ripped the drive out, sat it down for a long chat over coffee and an electromagnet, and told it, in short, everything was going to be okay now. Or at least I pretended to while fdisk did its thing.

Shortly after that debacle, I opted to reverse the direction I was heading in and tried out Slackware. Which was... okay, I guess. Sure did run and everything. Nothing wrong with it. Nope. But if vanilla-flavored vanilla ice cream were possible, the guys at Slack would have made it. Maybe someday I'll use it as a VM host or something, but as a desktop user I didn't find a real need for such a durned-stable don't-fix-what-isn't-broken-even-if-it's-remarkably-arcane support-any-configuration-imaginable approach. I can see the server appeal, but I'm no admin just yet. It was like I was in the market for a new car, and Slackware only wanted to sell me a top-of-the-line commercial truck; I just want a Civic or something, guy.

Then, in extremely rapid succession, FreeBSD, openSUSE, Sabayon, back to (X)ubuntu, DSL, Fedora, Mint, Debian, Mandriva, and Puppy. By this time, I had an idea of what I was looking for in a distro, though nothing more than a vague understanding of it, and hence I could usually tell within an hour or so of playing around with a new install whether or not I was going to end up liking it. In particular, openSUSE was horrible, as, to a slightly lesser extent, was Mint, which seems to simply be a re-branded *buntu. And Debian, while similar in approach, if not implementation, to Slackware, I may end up keeping around eventually, solely for its ginormous repositories and slow development cycle, as well as the fact that so many major distros are based on it, which may end up making it significantly more "standard" in the future. But FreeBSD really caught my attention (and didn't give me an immediate reason to hate it, though it's the only BSD I've tried thus far), and I think I'll end up permanently sticking that in the partition I've been using for distro testing.

All of a sudden, though, it happened. I got my Arch CD, not expecting much out of the ordinary and generalizing everything on the website as mere propaganda, and even at the installer I knew this was "my" distro. The file structure makes sense. Configuration files do the things I expect them to. There are standardized methods for just about everything. Most importantly, above ALL else, there is a veritable mountain of documentation; hats-off to whoever's maintaining that Wiki. But, being somewhat of a philosophy junkie, The Arch Way is what had me sold. Turns out, Occam's Razor was the driving factor in my diverging from the Big Two in the first place, and I simply didn't realize it until now. I had no idea the depth and true meaning this approach had on a software level; I'll admit it, Arch was my Linux coming-of-age, my unplugging from the matrix, whatever you want to call it. It took a while, but now I -get- my OS.

I cannot stress this enough. Arch is the single best-designed distribution I have come across, and despite what I had heard, much more than user-friendly, it's user-dependent. Whereas most other distros (as well as the Big Two) try to make the system work in such a way as to best accommodate a user, Arch is designed such that the user must accommodate the system to whatever environment the user has in mind for it. By nature, this approach will and must provide the desired setup, and not just do so transparently, but present configuration as a requisite to everything. I can understand why most people would consider this the opposite of user-friendly: they're used to hitting a button in some gui or having everything automagically detected and set, not knowing and providing precise information; I personally think the best-designed products assume an intelligent and knowledgeable audience, rather than assuming the lowest common denominator. Frost may have put it best: "No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader;" this works both ways, expecting no real effort from the user is equivalent to and logically extends to not expecting real effort from the developers.

What now? Well, I've taken, and being quite satisfied with what I've taken, I'd like to return the favor. However, I'm still very green (I don't know any languages but English, yet), and have a long, tedious road ahead before I can contribute anything very useful to this community. And even before that, I'll have to settle down and set up a permanent environment that adheres to my understanding of the Arch ideal but uses a few more "modern" programs like Uzbl, *box (yes, I know, I know), and mpd, all of which I love to death so far.

TL,DR: If any Arch big-shots are reading, consider this a love letter. I cannot thank this community enough for the distro it has produced.
-Sel

#620 2009-09-11 14:59:45

alef

Hi,

I'm quite new to linux, started last January. I have been mainly using CrunchBang linux, and installed arch few weeks ago on my eeepc 1000h (with Compiz standaloneas WM). This is to learn more about linux, I am not sure yet about whether I should switch to it as main distro, I'm afraid it will ask a lot of time for maintenance.
I have not been browsing a lot in the forum yet, but the wiki is quite exhaustive, congratulation to the maintainers.

cheers,

alef :-)

#621 2009-09-12 16:20:48

corny

Hello there,

coming from from Ubuntu through Suse and a couple of others. Did struggle a bit at the install, but on the whole works fine without harassing anyone so far, just a couple of minor issues I have a mind to fix with some help here.
A student in humanities, i'm quite proud i've set it up on my own!

It's been going really smoothly so far, and the difference with the previous distros I've had is that I'm truly confident it is going to last. Damn that's good; dearest thx to devs.

Be happy everyone with a distro that just makes things right once and for all!

#622 2009-09-13 06:17:18

onthejob

hey all, i'm an aussie farmer who's been using linux for 10 years or so starting with redhat! what a bust that was... rpm hell indeed. i persisted and have literally tried dozens of distro's culminating in gentoo which i have had on successive boxes since 2001. gentoo has served me well, the command line holds no horrors for me now. i have a very minimal arch installed with firefox my only installed program so far. as a measure... despite some teething problems (mouse, keyboard, hal, dbus and java) arch has quickly become my grubs default boot. i think i can be described as an 'archer'. another thing... i'm older than most linux'ers... i'm 52 in a few days and have put up with some ageist bullshit over the years. embrace the wrinklies... they know a lot. i hope to contribute over time to the forums and look forward to making your acquaintance. my name is glenn.

Last edited by onthejob (2009-09-13 06:22:21)

#623 2009-09-15 23:45:10

nanorocket

Howdy,
  I almost have xorg running, x86_64 on my samsung nc20.  I've been using linux for a while but not like this, I wanted to use it in more classical way.  Well, hey, I can use nano now, and I think I've put a new wrinkle in my brain.   
  See you around.

#624 2009-09-16 14:22:02

A Future Pilot

Hey all!!

I'm John, been posting around in the "Newbie Corner" for awhile, but just now decided to finally post here :-)

I've been playing with computers my whole life, and most everybody I know calls me a geek (although I still consider myself a geek-wanna-be ;-) So I had Windows, and played with that some, but like most linux users, decided that it was, in a word, PATHETIC, as an OS. :-) So I started looking at alternatives, my brother's real big on Mac, but I didn't really like it all that much. So then I started researching linux. I tried Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, and I think maybe a couple others, before I discovered Arch. As soon as I found it I was hooked and have been a happy Archer ever since! :-)

P.S. Just something I've noticed about Linux users...One of the reasons we use Linux is because we like to tinker. We wouldn't be happy if our computer just "worked" every time, and we just used it. We have to be "doing" something on it at all times to be truly happy :-)    <-- Just my observations!

#625 2009-09-17 18:40:39

DeeCodeUh

Hello, I started using Arch just under two years ago. I believe my first Arch disk was "Don't Panic" when it was still managed by Judd Vinet. I switched from Fedora because I had a slow computer and I couldn't take what a turtle Fedora was on my computer, I needed something fast, so when I was looking for a new distro I came across Ubuntu, Gentoo, Mepis, Sabayon, Kubuntu, and I decided for Arch because I heard so much praise about it, and I was ready for a small learning curve. I love Arch, and I would expect to be using it for the rest of my life.

Board footer