#626 2009-09-17 18:41:39

DeeCodeUh

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Oh, and the AUR is amazing!!!!

#627 2009-09-18 23:08:47

Zaephen

Hello all!
I've used nearly any distribution you can name at one time or another in the last ten years but I think I may have finally found what I call a "perfect" distribution.  Arch Linux sounds exactly like what I've always been searching for in a distribution.  I can't believe I've waited this long to try it out.

Zaephen.

#628 2009-09-20 07:31:56

vampires

Hiya all

I have been using Arch for a few days now, already had some great help from this forum big_smile

I use my desktop for downloading from Newsgroups, multimedia editing and as a media server for my PS3.

What can I say Arch is fast reliable and most importantly stable no crashes big_smile Goodbye all other distro's lol

and what a really helpfull forum here as well, solved my little problem really fast.

Regards to you all

Robbie

Last edited by vampires (2009-09-20 07:34:05)

#629 2009-09-20 18:32:09

MikeBee

Hi all,

I'm an recent convert to Arch. Been a linux user on and off since '98 and I can't quite believe I've only just found Arch!

Anyway. It's a great distro. Loving the concept and the 'Arch Way'. Just got my system fully sorted after 3 days of tinkering and it's actually the first time in recent memory I've managed to get everything the way I like without the distro getting in the way, so props to all you guys.

Cheers,

Mike.

#630 2009-09-21 17:29:20

Jamie

Hello all.
I've been using Arch Linux for a few days now and I have to say I think it's the finest Linux distribution I've seen yet.  Well done.

Thanks,
Jamie

archlinux x86_64

#631 2009-09-21 19:58:49

rmowbray

Heloo.  Just want to tick every pro off right away and ask about how I setup the GUI for this?

Sorry.  Working with my kids on figuring how to use ArchLinux.  Like what I've seen thus far.  Have the install done and can get to the #, but know my kids will want something more.

Need to the letter instructions on how to setup the GUI.

Thanks

R

#632 2009-09-21 21:17:04

Bruce_M
Website

Hi Folks,

Well, some may recognize my avatar, I use it everywhere I go. The name is Bruce, I had to add the "_M" as "Bruce" was taken.

Long story short:  W2K crashed it's last crash 2 1/2 years ago, been Ubuntuing it since.  Time for a change!

Yesterday I regressed and went from Xubu 8.10 to Xubu 8.04-3 (the LTS version) because 8.10 was ??? - can't put my finger on it, but was running slower as time goes on and didn't feel right.

Didn't like Xubu/Ubu 9.04 at all and while I've looked that the Alpha6 Live CD for Xubu 9.10 (Love the default look), I'm guessing that it will have more bugs than a 2 1/2 year old flyswatter does, just a gut feeling, and I have been known to be wrong before (read on for proof).  So I've been looking for a new distro.

Now I'll be honest with you, in another forum, I said: "Archlinux, isn't that Ubuntu based with OpenBox?"  I was told NOT to say that in the Arch Forums.  Oops!! Did I just say that?  Oh, well, at least I'm being honest.  I have tried other distros but they were all "debian" based or the real thing - Debian Lenny.

So here I am, so new here I haven't even download Arch yet, but download Arch I will.  It is going on one of my two empty partitions and I'll build on it until I convince my wife that Ubu goes.

What convinced me to try Arch - two things actually, first to quote my friend:

I find that when I want something out-of-the-box I use Dreamlinux. When I want cutting edge I install a *buntu (or build my own). When I want a precise, personalized config and have the time to do it step by step, I use Arch. The final product is very rewarding, as it combines cutting edge with speed and stability. What's more, the Arch Wiki is second to none in my opinion.

and second from the ArchWiki:

Arch Linux defines simplicity as 'without unnecessary additions, modifications, or complications', and provides a lightweight UNIX-like base structure that allows an individual user to shape the system according to their own needs. In short; an elegant, minimalist approach.

So, this 60 year old grandfather of 2 1/2 (one in the making) that wants to get his fingers wet with a distro "that allows an individual user to shape the system" and really "build" something that's mine, other than Conky!.

So Arch is lightweight, that's what I need, my computers isn't getting younger and it's gotta last a few more years, like me.  I need a really lightweight window manager (FluxBox ?) with at least one "panel" (for my wife) like "wpanel" (example) or if I can come up with an nice enough right-click menu for her to use easily that might (read: I hope) work.  "My" preference would be: No Panels!  But we are two using this baby so while I set it up, she does get a say as a user.

Now to try and figure out which one to download - so many choices.... OK, got that figured out: archlinux-2009.08-netinstall-x86_64.iso for my AMD64 chip.

See you soon, ... I gotta get a better signature

Architecturally speaking in every arch there is a keystone!
In ARCHlinux it's KISS - = Keeping It Supported Stone = -
Does that make ARCH the Keystone of Linux?

#633 2009-09-21 22:35:20

vampires

Need to the letter instructions on how to setup the GUI.

rmowvbray there is a to the letter instructions just follow this link and follow the instructions couldn't be easier

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

Regards robbie

#634 2009-09-22 00:17:05

slightlystoopid

Hi, my name's Jon, and I am an addict.

One nation, under the corporatocracy, indivisible, with liberty for them.

Really, I can understand the Supreme Court's rulings. Afterall, corporations are people just like us, with love and feelings, hopes and dreams, and a limited lifespan to do it all in... oh wait, nevermind. I was thinking of same-sex marriage.

#635 2009-09-22 22:38:34

Daedran

print('Hello Arch Linux') # two months happy user

#636 2009-09-22 23:03:35

q1jack

Hello, I'm Jack.

Been using arch for around a week now, really could not be happier with what i have expierienced!

It seems i also, am an addict. :L

#637 2009-09-23 11:09:00

richs-lxh

Bruce_M wrote:

Hi Folks,

Well, some may recognize my avatar, I use it everywhere I go. The name is Bruce, I had to add the "_M" as "Bruce" was taken.

What convinced me to try Arch - two things actually, first to quote my friend:

I find that when I want something out-of-the-box I use Dreamlinux. When I want cutting edge I install a *buntu (or build my own). When I want a precise, personalized config and have the time to do it step by step, I use Arch. The final product is very rewarding, as it combines cutting edge with speed and stability. What's more, the Arch Wiki is second to none in my opinion.

Hi mate, glad you finally took the plunge, you won't regret it. And besides, your wife is too far away to kill me for this one!! big_smile

I wasn't expecting to be quoted, otherwise I would have added a few more words, but anyway, glad I convinced you.

rich

#638 2009-09-23 15:40:12

TheNose77

Hi I'm Jaap from the Netherlands. I only recently plunged in the world of linux and ditched windows completely (only played with linux distros in the past, didn't work with them). Naturally I used Ubuntu as my first distro which worked flawless, BUT it also installs all kinds of stuff I don't want or need, kind of like MS does with it's OSes. A lot of Ubuntu users made the step to Arch just for this reason and I haven't seen a lot of people who regret they made this step yet.

I realise it won't be easy with my experience in the linux world, but I'll try anyway. I want a custom system, running the things I choose and the functionality I need.

#639 2009-09-23 17:09:00

Sternmull

Hi, i am from Germany.

I use Archlinux for a few months now and i like most of it. Before Arch I tried out Suse, Debian and Ubuntu. But Arch is the first one that I use seriously. That means i dont boot my WindowsXP unless I really have to (for example to do some Windows development). When i installed Arch i was very impressed by the installation-guide in the Arch-Wiki and the quality of that wiki in general. It gave me a very good introduction of what is going on under the hood and how the parts of the system are playing together. Good work!

I live from programming C++ applications under Windows. After C++ as my primary programming language i like Python as a perfect language to write tools to automate build processes and do some other stuff that makes my life easier. For a long time i felt uncomfortable writing programs under Linux because my beloved Visual Studio was missing. I tried some IDEs for Linux but they all felt like VS for the poor man smile So i dropped the hope to find an IDE that i am comfortable with and tried the way that seems the normal way to work with linux: Using multiple specialized tools istead of one big program that tries to do everything. Now I figured out how to write some good makefiles and get more and more comfortable with emacs. Its not perfect (i dont say VS is perfect!) and i still have to figure out how to work more efficiently in the Linux environment. But its getting more and more fun. I hope to find some ways to contribute with some code to the Arch distribution in the future.

#640 2009-09-23 20:10:58

CLIENT

hello arpanet i am here

lo
login

#641 2009-09-23 23:12:55

I-Hop

Howdy, my name is daniel, i'm pretty new to linux, i have a tad of experiance on fedora 11 and ubuntu. I oringally laughed at arch as i thought there was now way i'd be able to pull of an install of it. But i was bored one day and installed it as a virtual machine..made it through the install..and said "man i gotta get this on a real box" So i did and here i am! I look forward to many of arching. smile

#642 2009-09-24 12:54:25

eviltoaster
Website

i hide in the kitchen and when everyone have gone outside, i take my arch cd out from my pocket and run to the computer to begin my journey...
Hi, i m eviltoaster and no im not addicted, it is a lifestyle opportunity...

arrowhead south backbone

#643 2009-09-24 14:32:11

anotherjohn

Hi all, I'm John, another convert from Ubuntu.

I first heard about Arch from user alexanro in the Linux room on the KGS Go server, where I play/lurk/annoy as GoJohnGo.

Ubuntu 9.04 introduced a number of annoying bugs/features, so I looked elsewhere, and here I am smile

#644 2009-09-25 03:20:16

leohardtke

Hi everybody!
I'm new to Arch! I've been working for 2 year with Ubuntu and now I'm interested in learning more about linux, so... here I am!!!
The instalation was very easy! big_smile
BUT... now i'm trying to use grass (instaled with sudo pacman -S grass) but when I try to enter to my grassdb it does not work... (sudo grass64 -wxpython).

WARNING: Digitization tool is disabled (No module named grass6_wxvdigit). Detailed information in README file.
/opt/grass-6.4.0RC4/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/gcmd.py:63: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of Python 2.6
  self.message = message
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/grass-6.4.0RC4/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 1645, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/opt/grass-6.4.0RC4/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 1638, in main
    app = GMApp(workspaceFile)
  File "/opt/grass-6.4.0RC4/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 1560, in __init__
    wx.App.__init__(self, False)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 7978, in __init__
    self._BootstrapApp()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 7552, in _BootstrapApp
    return _core_.PyApp__BootstrapApp(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/opt/grass-6.4.0RC4/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 1576, in OnInit
    workspace = self.workspaceFile)
  File "/opt/grass-6.4.0RC4/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 178, in __init__
    self.NewDisplay(show=False)
  File "/opt/grass-6.4.0RC4/etc/wxpython/wxgui.py", line 1214, in NewDisplay
    auimgr=self._auimgr, showMapDisplay=show)
  File "/opt/grass-6.4.0RC4/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/wxgui_utils.py", line 82, in __init__
    self.Map = render.Map()    # instance of render.Map to be associated with display
  File "/opt/grass-6.4.0RC4/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/render.py", line 402, in __init__
    self.projinfo = self.ProjInfo()
  File "/opt/grass-6.4.0RC4/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/render.py", line 759, in ProjInfo
    p = gcmd.Command(['g.proj', '-p'])
  File "/opt/grass-6.4.0RC4/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/gcmd.py", line 358, in __init__
    _("Error: ") + self.GetError()))
gui_modules.gcmd.CmdError/opt/grass-6.4.0RC4/etc/wxpython/gui_modules/gcmd.py:70: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of Python 2.6
  message=self.message,

What can I do?
Thanks!
PS> sorry about my english

#645 2009-09-25 23:31:31

blackcoughee

Hey, I'm new here. I'm a newbie to Arch and Linux in general (Arch is only my second distro). Arch has been a great learning experience so far, have learned so much more than I ever did in Ubuntu already. Judd's the man smile

#646 2009-09-26 01:26:15

m_ad

Just installed Arch last night (thanks to the install wiki), now I'm just configuring openbox and some other fancy gui smile

Last edited by m_ad (2009-09-26 01:27:01)

#647 2009-09-26 03:04:57

Ranguvar

leohardtke wrote:

Hi everybody!
I'm new to Arch! I've been working for 2 year with Ubuntu and now I'm interested in learning more about linux, so... here I am!!!
The instalation was very easy! big_smile
BUT... now i'm trying to use grass (instaled with sudo pacman -S grass) but when I try to enter to my grassdb it does not work... (sudo grass64 -wxpython).

Start a new thread, this is just for hellos wink

But welcome!  And welcome all others, too big_smile  I remember when I was starting into Arch myself.  Happy hacking!

#648 2009-09-26 17:00:12

Bedtimes

Hiya,
I'm a newbie to Arch, and even to Linux. However, it seems like it'll be a good progression for me, since I am sick of being on uncharted territory every time I need to use linux for work.

Hopefully this all goes well. (:

#649 2009-09-26 20:07:13

jpg

Hi everyone. smile
I am a recent convert from Gentoo/Slackware, seems to be a few of us Gentoo boys on here. tongue

Really loving the distro so far, lightining fast, easy to setup and configure and no 'crap' getting in my way.
Arch is more than simple, it's elegant. <3
Hope to be pretty active and try contribute back as much as I can, especially to that excellent wiki!

#650 2009-09-26 22:44:45

mtaber

Chronologically advanced here, but an Arch n00b (not a Linux n00b, however).  After trying literally dozens of Linuxes (that's the beauty of VMs!), I ended up using what I administer at work: Mac OS X and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (I leave Windows to the young pups wink)  Liked Ubuntu, Mint, etc., etc.

Definitely bored with Mac OS X (nice, but...).  My happiest computing times were when I had a workstation at home, Fedora, ripping my entire CD collection into FLAC and Ogg Vorbis. 

Read about Arch just last week, tried an install (your wiki rocks; superb instructions).  Voila!  Now I'm an Arch Linux fan. 

My next computer will either be my MacPro and MacBook Pro running Arch, or I'll build a nice machine next year. 

In the meantime, I'm running in VMs on VMware Fusion.  I had a choice: borked Alsa/PulseAudio on VMware, or jumpy mouse on VirtualBox.  Easier to just install OSS and go with VMware.  I think I'd like to get VirtualBox going, however, so I'll have to investigate that jumpy mouse further. 

I'm rambling (us old folks tend to do that big_smile)...  Just glad to be here.  Great community, great wiki, great forums, great distro.  Now, choices, choices: Gnome (love the KISS), or KDE (4.3 looks hot, and there's Amarok...)

Mark

Board footer