You are not logged in.

#6826 2020-05-04 10:03:39

sauromates
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone!

I'm a history teacher from Russia. I've used Manjaro for some time and ended up here. Not much to say after two days on Arch (except the ArchWiki is brilliant) but I'm looking forward to dive into it. For now I'm just happy that my laptop finally working the way I want it.

Happy to be here.

#6827 2020-05-06 20:06:48

Tardy

Hello, I've been running Arch for 4+ years now, trouble free. I figured it's about time I join the forum and say hello.

Hello!

#6828 2020-05-07 02:59:19

wishmaster

Hello to the arch community!. Im a new user of arch linux and Im learning a lot trying to configure  my work environment correctly.

#6829 2020-05-07 05:30:17

ArchDoru

Greetings and salutations, everyone!

Arch Linux noob, here, as you can probably guess...

But first, let me introduce myself...

Ever since I was a kid, electronics have been my passion.
Later on in my life, computers became my hobby.
I like to build them, as much as like to use them.
I already build like 12 Desktop computers over the last 10-12 years.

I've been using Linux as my one and only OS for about 10 years now, but I ONLY used the ".deb" and "sudo apt-get" Debian based distros, mainly Linux Mint.

Also, since mid 2012, I have been using just MATE as my Desktop Environment.
Thus, I have very little to no experience with any other Desktop Environment or non-debian based distro.
While I cannot claim to be an advanced Linux user, I think I do have some upper-basic to medium skills.
I even posted a few minor things on Gnome-Look.org, here is a sample link:
https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1006017/
I'm also a somewhat active member in the Linux Mint Forum, being a member for almost 10 years.

After taking the time to carefully read your forum rules, which IMHO are very strict rules and views on users asking for help, I have mustered the courage to dare entering here.
I don't mean to be rude in any way, shape or form, but honestly, any community and forum should want to atract people, to get more members, not to scare them away...
After all, we all started somewhere, and had our helpers, being them teachers, friends, or just a total stranger, in an online chat room, forum, or blog.
What I mean to say here, is that nobody was born with a mouse and keyboard in their baby crib, just as well as nobody was born behind the wheel of a car, although I'm pretty sure that some people might have been concieved that way...
lol lol lol lol
-:) lol

Although I totally understand the concept of "Help Vampire", and I somewhat dislike that kind of people myself, I still think y'all are being a little too harsh.
Some people do indeed need help, and that's a fact.

I apologize if I offended anybody with my comments, and I want to assure you that it was not my intention...

All that being said, I'm looking forward to a pleasant experience and a great adventure in the newly embraced Arch Linux Universe.

#6830 2020-05-07 08:09:05

Awebb

Although I totally understand the concept of "Help Vampire", and I somewhat dislike that kind of people myself, I still think y'all are being a little too harsh.
Some people do indeed need help, and that's a fact.

Sounds like you'll fit here very well. If you are willing to sit down and help people, then you are welcome to do so. Nobody stops you from clicking on "Unanswered" and help those poor souls. Use your own judgement and decide which posts are worth your time and effort. There are a lot of people who started clueless and ended up getting on track. However, if people don't put in the minimum required effort to at least have a good question, then nobody is interested in holding their hands. If you have a problem, describe it well and also provide a list of things you've tried so far, so we don't have to play "try X - allready tried x" ping pong. If you have been searching for an answer but cannot find one, at least provide your failed google queries. If you don't understand a passage in the wiki, then quote the passage.

After taking the time to carefully read your forum rules, which IMHO are very strict rules and views on users asking for help, I have mustered the courage to dare entering here. I don't mean to be rude in any way, shape or form, but honestly, any community and forum should want to atract people, to get more members, not to scare them away...

Honestly, at this point, we do not benefit from attracting users for the sake of numbers. I sometimes am even under the impression, that the numbers of competent users who are capable of answering questions isn't high enough for the influx of inexperienced users and that people with no clue about the problem try to help with "have you tried turning it off and on again" kind of replies. I, too, do this all the time, because sometimes it's a matter of the right search term. You don't attract the wizards with lax rules, though, but with order and a general feeling of usefulness. Go through the Unanswered section. Half of those questions is so obscure nobody has a clue and the other half is questions that can be solved by a shred of effort.

Nobody gets banned for asking a stupid question. You actively need to resist being helped and then be rude to be shown the door.

#6831 2020-05-07 08:12:02

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

ArchDoru wrote:

I don't mean to be rude in any way, shape or form, but honestly, any community and forum should want to atract people, to get more members, not to scare them away...

Just speaking as a simple member of the community*: I think we don't want either. Arch is not for everyone and is not a mass product we dseperately want on every computer like the guys from Redmond or Cupertino do.
We also do not (want to) scare people away. We just want them to follow the rules that we, the community, set for us.

* I am not an official Arch Linux representative or staff member.

Last edited by schard (2020-05-07 08:13:15)

macro_rules! yolo { { $($tokens:tt)* } => { unsafe { $($tokens)* } }; }

#6832 2020-05-07 09:07:24

Ankit Tyagi

Hi everyone, this is Ankit Tyagi. I have been using Linux for almost 7 years, and I have got so used to it that Windows irritates me now. In these years I have tried many distros --- Ubuntu, CAELinux, Debian, OpenSUSE, and Linux Mint etc --- but I have found Arch Linux to be a standout. I especially love its simplicity and docs. Arch introduced me to window managers, and I never installed a DE after that.

Two things I don't like about Arch is large downloads for daily updates and the fact that I have to compile CAE software.

Thank you guys for creating such a unique distro and making it available for anyone to use. smile

#6833 2020-05-07 20:35:27

archimboldo

schard wrote:

* I am not an official Arch Linux representative or staff member.

Hehe, lesson learned...

Rules for problems.
Everyone has problems. Animals have problems. And buildings. And cats, and trees.
Problems are your friends. Treat them well.

#6834 2020-05-08 15:12:50

S3t1

Hello to the arch comunity! I've been using arch since 2018 on the main computer but I never registered on the forum (until now) because on the wiki or in this forum I always found what I needed (again, until now... ).

#6835 2020-05-09 11:24:56

Kinisis

Hello everyone!
I've been using Linux for over 10 years. Most of that time was spent on Arch as it always offered the simplest experience with a great package manager and without confusing defaults or changes to upstream software. It's also one of the best documented software projects.
I thought that it's time to finally contribute and maybe share some of my experience as it's the least I could do for the best distro out there.

#6836 2020-05-09 17:58:39

re4l

Hi everyone,
Today I start my journey with Arch Linux smile

#6837 2020-05-09 19:41:50

great-said

hello community this is my first comment ever on arch forum smile

pyhton + c = power of gods

#6838 2020-05-10 03:17:58

pdawg

Hello everyone.
I installed arch for the first time today.
Loving it!!!

#6839 2020-05-11 11:23:00

kilix

Hello Arch users,

I am an old school linux user, who kinda got off the tracks for a few years. First distro I installed was mandrake linux, so I assume, that it must've been around the year 2000? I don't know. Since then, I went through mandriva, suse, fedora, slackware and I settled on Debian stable, which was my daily driver throughout my college years. I also did some server work with Debian (radius manager server for a local ISP).
Then I did not use linux for almost 10 years. Last year I installed ubuntu but I was increasingly getting concerned about all the software that was pre-installed on ubuntu and I couldn't properly get rid of it. And also, I wanted to learn about linux a lot more, I was curious about the inner workings, what I've missed during the years I was off linux. So I went feet first and installed Arch during a single one-nighter. It was a nice learning experience. Now, about two or three weeks in, I have almost everything configured 100% to my liking, desktop is properly "riced" and it feels kinda sad, that the tinkering is over.

I especially like the KISS aspect and software minimalism of Arch.

Last edited by kilix (2020-05-11 11:23:52)

Keep it simple, stupid.

#6840 2020-05-11 18:34:24

brandonf

Hi everyone. My name is Brandon and I am 14 years old. I have been poking around with different Linux distributions for a while now including Ubuntu, Fedora, Manjaro, Pop OS, and a few others but have settled for Arch. I love programming and CS to the point that it is an obsession and that I spend hours on a day. I was using Windows for a while but was drawn to try out Linux by the community of people many of which have similar interests as me. I hope everyone has a great time using Arch!

#6841 2020-05-12 20:03:24

tydynrain
Website

The first thing I do when I log into the forums is to check this thread. I love seeing the posts and reading the experiences from new Arch users. After using Arch as my only OS for more than 2 years now, and have been working with it for more than 2 1/2 years (when I first started with Arch I was still multi-booting with Ubuntu and Windows, so the first 6 months or so was not exclusively Arch), I honestly cannot imagine using any other OS at this point. Nothing else comes close to the utter badassery that is Arch.
Welcome to all the new Archers! I'm happy that y'all are here. :-)

Last edited by tydynrain (2020-05-12 20:07:54)

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux Forever!

#6842 2020-05-14 06:17:49

KevinRoberts

Hello everyone,
I am Kevin and I am a blind user of arch I registered for the forum two days ago, and I have been useing arch on server hardware I don't have it on any of my own computers yet I have been playing around with  linux here and their for a while going  between different distros and I like them all I thihnk the way arch works is really neet. I use the accessability stuff when I plan on useing arch on my own stuff like orca, and speakup I have herd of the talking arch project and have followed that for a while I hope to learn alot more on how arch works and such. Talk to you all soon.
Thanks
Kevin Roberts

Last edited by KevinRoberts (2020-05-14 06:22:42)

#6843 2020-05-14 06:19:40

dasilvaca

Arch es hermoso :')

#6844 2020-05-14 12:15:00

crisdean

Hi everyone I'm Chris based in the UK. I've installed Arch on a T430 and in a virtual machine and found it to be very enjoyable. Coming from Fedora so the biggest thing to learn is pacman and its commands. So fasr however it's fast and installing software and finding it is a breeze.

Special thanks to the Arch Wiki, it's simply the best out there!

#6845 2020-05-14 18:31:19

Schmoho

Hi!
Now that I not only have more free time, but also cannot spend it any other way than tinkering on my machine, I thought now would be the ideal time to fix my horrible OS. Which is a neglected Ubuntu system running for about ten years now.

I would love to get into contact with folks who are mostly newbies too and who would like to share their thoughts and experiences and maybe one or the other little "project" in setting up Arch, i.e. do something like a remote user group.

Last edited by Schmoho (2020-05-17 17:38:19)

#6846 2020-05-17 16:53:42

coffeina

Hello everyone smile

#6847 2020-05-17 20:33:46

CristianOkittu

Hello!
First time using Arch Linux!
I've been through quite a few easy installing distributions.
First time a chroot install works for me in two machines! cool

#6848 2020-05-17 22:44:12

mattlennon3

Hello all! My name is Matt and I've been using Arch on my machine for about 2 weeks. I've tried it in a VM over the last couple of months but recently installed it on a new laptop. It's been a very enjoyable challenge getting everything set up, but I am mostly there now and liking it a lot. Pacman is fantastic and the wiki is too!

I've been using Mint as a daily driver for the last year and felt confident enough to make the jump. I'm looking forward to joining the community smile.

My goals are to finish my laptop setup by getting the trackpad and media keys working. Then migrate my main desktop from Mint to Arch!

#6849 2020-05-18 08:12:56

doctordeity

Hi everyone!

I'm admittedly very, very new to Linux (started last week!), but I've been researching very intensely and distrohopping quite a lot. I just installed Arch Linux for the first time on VirtualBox and I am absolutely in love with it! Once I get my flash drives, I'll be ready to make the switch. Quite honestly, after spending a few days with Arch, I think I know what distribution I'm going to replace Windows 10 with.

I have a lot to learn about Arch Linux, and Linux in general, and I am endlessly excited to experience all of it.

Looking forward to working with everyone here!

Last edited by doctordeity (2020-05-18 08:34:43)

“Humans cannot create anything out of nothingness. Humans cannot accomplish anything without holding onto something. After all, humans are not gods.”
– Kaworu Nagisa

#6850 2020-05-20 07:19:24

ctriaan

Hello, All.

I've been using Arch for about 5 years and have used the Forums and Wiki extensively, so I thought it's about time to make it official and register.

Board footer