You are not logged in.

#6951 2020-11-04 13:56:29

the_dummy

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone,

I have found arch after using ubuntu for 1 year and breaking it 3 times in the process because nobody taught me the basics or even what is sudo and what it does and Windows user ignorance led me to break stuff since I didn't know how powerful a command can be hmm.

I'm a bioinformatics student and I have started to think that this is the best distro to use for my work and personal life. Even if it looks hard to install, if you are able to read wiki page, it is freaking easy actually. The most beautiful thing about the process is, you learn so many stuff about linux starting from the installation. I believe knowledge should be earned, not presented with a single click.

I'm using arch for like a month and I'm already recommending everyone that would like to try linux.

Yes, "I use arch btw".

#6952 2020-11-10 16:30:03

theiades

Hello Everyone

#6953 2020-11-12 16:45:11

gko

hello everyone

#6954 2020-11-18 03:35:37

k0nat4

Arch newbie here, have installed in Vm. =w=

#6955 2020-11-18 20:57:26

tronie.service

Hello everyone,

installed Arch Nov. 1st and love it yikes. System is pretty snappy and uses ressources sparingly as expected.

After using Windoze for many years I shifted to Linux 1 1/2 years ago and since then never looked back. I needed some time to understand the Linux basics before taking courage to install Arch. Finally, after improving my wifi network skills I succeeded. The Arch wiki is superior and it was rich in helpful hints for me, one of the reasons I decided for Arch. I also like the rolling release approach, definitely best way for my needs.

I'm glad to be part of the game now and like to express my thanks to all the people contributing to this great distro.

See you!

#6956 2020-11-18 21:30:33

decaflo

Hi there,

I am using arch since several years now and i am very happy with it, it's the best desktop os I know.

after getting help in this forum many times I just registered and hope I can contribute anything.

#6957 2020-11-19 09:44:02

blackandcold

Hi!
I'm Linux user for 18ish  years and Arch user for at least 10 years.
Finally I want to give back something after Antergos shut down which I used most of the time.

I started by creating a post about a current WWAN Thinkpad driver at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xmm7360-pci and made my first mess.

Correct me and help me get stuff going and we will have a good time smile

Prost!

#6958 2020-11-19 16:26:11

ItsOrion

Hello everybody!

I've been using Linux for about a year now. I originally decided to install Linux, since I had very low-end it had a Celeron and 4gb of ram. At that time I had only recently heard about Linux, I knew it as this cool open-source os where you could customize everything, and choose between a huge variety of different distros. On this laptop using Windows 10 was an absolutely insufferable experience, the CPU was always pegged at 100% even at idle and it was painfully slow. I heard Linux it ran well on low-end machines, I decided to install Mint 19.3 on it which the laptop ran a lot better and I was very impressed.

Shortly after, I built my own PC for gaming and went ahead to install Manjaro KDE and I had also set up a dual boot with Windows 10 for games that didn't work on Linux. I eventually wanted to switch Arch Linux, because I could have a lightweight and minimal system that I could configure myself. I went ahead and learned how to install Arch from YouTube tutorials. It took me nearly 6 hours to install it, but somehow I managed to install it successfully and I couldn't even believe I did it. But I didn't really know what I was doing and when I was trying to update my kernel, I ran out of space on my EFI partition, and somehow deleted my initramfs and got a bunch of errors. After that I could no longer boot into my arch install, I spent nearly a week going through forums and the wiki trying to fix this issue. The only solution was to reinstall Arch, I was too lazy to bother installing Arch again so I switched to Ubuntu since everything would be easy. I never really liked Ubuntu because of how bloated it was, or the package manager I went ahead and switched. I then started distrohopping and ended up on a new distro every week, I got really sick of this cycle and wanted to settle down and just wanted to play my games. I had already tried many different distros and I came back to Arch, it was pretty much the only distro that had everything I needed. I been using Arch for a few months now, and I ran into bunch of issues, but learned read the documentation and troubleshoot things myself instead of expect everyone else to do it for me.

Currently, I'm enjoying Arch Linux a lot big_smile, it's great for gaming and everything else, while still being lightweight and not coming with all the unnecessary features. I can actually use my computer without it phoning home all of my usage data to the NSA servers, or spoon-feeding me some useless features I do not care for. Arch Linux forces you to actually learn how Linux works and lets the user control the os, rather than something like Windows where the os controls you. I'm really glad to see a community and developers that are devoted to making Linux so great!

Last edited by ItsOrion (2020-11-19 16:34:41)

#6959 2020-11-21 01:47:47

Ruksu
Website

Greetings!

This topic is the Arch Linux History! I was reading early posts, 2007, fascinating.
The feelings when we make our own operating system is awesome. I mean, we need the Arch tools to make it happens but it is fantastic.
I installed and uninstalled so many times till I find the minimal best operating system suitable to me. I was Ubuntu user for so long, I started with Kurumin.
I was looking for a minimal OS,  I know is possible to do with all Linux distro, uninstall the useless features but I wanted a fresh installed OS brand new with just apps that I want, I'm 100% cloud, online user, so browser and terminal is everything. So I did researches and I found Arch Linux on a Brazilian Linux Channel "Diolinux" on Youtube. So I thought "Why not" then here I am, I loved it!
I like all OS, but Linux community, developers, users, all they makes Linux great and it is a honor for me be part of this history. Thank you very so much Linus, Arch and all!

My best regards.

#6960 2020-11-23 07:16:13

GSMiller

Hello!
I like Arch Linux because it is an operating system for intelligent people and the forum is too.
I was just watching for a long time but now I decided to open an account.

Arch on!

A dog is a man's best friend.

#6961 2020-11-23 14:18:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Uh ... ok.  Do I have a stalker or a troll?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6962 2020-11-23 15:34:14

archimboldo

Trilby wrote:

And now you're obliged to be helpful...  big_smile

Rules for problems.
Everyone has problems. Animals have problems. And buildings. And cats, and trees.
Problems are your friends. Treat them well.

#6963 2020-11-25 07:23:40

echozs151

Hello all. Checking in to introduce myself.
I've been using Arch since this year's March. With many obstacles and initial frustrations installing them on a new laptop,
I am finally here now using Arch everyday on my laptop and since last month, on my desktop without trouble.

I've tried using Ubuntu some years ago but that didn't last long as I was keep facing issues and with my mindset of expecting to find the most basic functions to work properly, I went back to using Windows.

Early this year I have been reading around again about Linux, the many different distributions that exist and seeing people configuring every little detail, that got me determined to try them again and that's when I did get my laptop.
Spending all that time reading about all the required modules needed to have my system up and running and all the configuration needed to have it as I want has been eye opening and the more time I spent reading, the more exciting it got.

Both the forums and the wiki have been the greatest help to me, so this is also a thanks to all who contributed in the wiki and to the people here in the forums.

Glad to be here now with you all and I hope to give and take as much as I can!

#6964 2020-11-25 14:31:30

Serum

Hello. I’m Eli. I have been using Linux for about 2 months. Through my hopping I have discovered that arch-based distros are where it’s at. Started with Manjaro and Endeavour but now finally have a good old vanilla Arch build. 220mb idle memory has been beautiful for my shitty Fujitsu laptop.

Last edited by Serum (2020-11-25 14:32:32)

#6965 2020-11-27 05:27:33

GSMiller

Trilby wrote:

That's what I am talking about! Always an intelligent remark. No other OS forum has people like that.

#6966 2020-12-01 12:55:46

primer_alex

Hey everyone, I am Alex from the US. New Arch user and happy to say I successfully installed Arch last night and I haven't broke anything (that I know of) yet. Learned so much and excited to dive deeper into how it all works. My interest in Arch was fueled by my hatred for Windows constantly installing crap I do not need (candy crush I am looking at you).

I have been a casual Linux user my whole life, but I know an embarrassingly little amount about Linux as I have never used a distro like Arch where it required me to learn about how and why it all works. My goal is to become extremely familiar with all aspects of Arch and use it as my main OS.

#6967 2020-12-02 02:20:18

jrperezmayo

Hello every body. I start in this forums because I'm installing Archlinux in a pc.

#6968 2020-12-03 18:06:12

Sarig

Hello all. Im a mongolian. My Linux history in short 2008 Ubuntu, 2014 Fedora+Debian, since 2015 Arch Linux.
Im dualbooting my desktop from 2008, triple booting from 2012 (Linux,Windows,MacOS) 
MacOS was never my thing. Feels like in max sec prison. But for my job I have to need to know at least basics about it.
As my work I need Windows for creating custom sysprepped image so rarely need boot into Windows.
Till now only reason I can not spent almost all my time in Arch was old games like AoE 2, 3 or Stalker series, Far Cry 1, 2 
Recently learned PCI passthrough things, so from now my daily driver is Arch only.
My english is just bunch of words smile

#6969 2020-12-05 14:43:56

Der Chefkoch

Guten Abend,

I have used Linux for a couple of years, mostly in the form of Raspbian on several Raspberry Pis. I switched away form Mac earlier this year by replacing my aging Macbook with a Dell XPS 13, initially on Windows.  I also have a desktop PC now and kind of got sick of Windows 10 on all my machines so I decided to move to Linux on the Dell Laptop. After some research I very quickly settled on Arch Linux to be the distro I would try out.

Got Arch up and running yesterday evening, its taking shape nicely so far. I see it as a more useful puzzle game to figure thing out to get them to run, I have to say it is kind of rewarding to get things to work after some tinkering.

#6970 2020-12-05 21:55:40

freebench

hey hey hey

First of all this is odd. Let's think of it as an anniversary of some sort xD.
About a year ago I've been rolling the idea of switching to linux, can't recall why.. ohhh right the windows updates.
So I got myself on freenode and asked advise for a linux distro - the reply was "arch". (the only one actually).
(Now I realize that the good thing was that I didn't search the web for a linux distro and didn't watch tons of the advice youtube videos)
For the next month then I had a couple of failed attempts of installing arch smile (consider the one a newbie in linux as well)
Since then I've discovered lots of stuff, had a lot of fun with pacman, AUR, arch wiki & open source software.
The odd thing that as a windows user I've never payed for a software, but once I switched to open source I constantly spending something on it big_smile.
In fact that was incredible luck, coz as a result I see no reason of trying anything else for good.
Also, I can't state that arch is the best as I've not tried all the rest distros.
Anyway whoever making it possible - keep up!

Last edited by freebench (2020-12-05 22:01:54)

#6971 2020-12-08 06:20:56

ice
Website

Well, I never appeared on the forum, although I've been here for a few years now, I'm "ice", I live in Argentina.
The truth is that it is the best I found in terms of everything I needed to learn to use GNU/Linux. I'm happy and I'm currently using Arch with i3, it's just perfect!
I also have a blog and a telegram group in Spanish about Arch Linux, You can see it in my signature.

Regards! ;-)

My Blog Archer
Telegram Group Arch Linux in Spanish.
Telegram Group LinuxerOS GNU/Linux in Spanish.

#6972 2020-12-09 22:14:05

clingonboy

Hello everyone,
I usi linux from long time, but never Arch. Yesterday I was on holiday, I took a deep breath and I try to istall Arch and I did !! myself, alone!!
I'm so proud of myself smile

I thought it was too difficult for me, but  I found that the documentation on this site is so detailed that it explains everything.

I'm happy.

FluxBB bbcode test

#6973 2020-12-12 18:24:20

AndyMender

Howdy everyone!

I'm a Python software developer / DevOps. Been working with/in/on Unix-like systems for a couple of years now and recently contributed quite a bit to Fedora as a package reviewer and maintainer. I jumped ship literally days ago (it was getting political because of CentOS, again...) and want to help out with Arch Linux packages as well. I'll start off by reading the package building and submission docs and push something to AUR if possible.

I used Arch Linux in the past, but not for very long wink.

Relevant neofetch sig in ASCII below:

-`                    amender@home-pc 
                  .o+`                   --------------- 
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux x86_64 
                `+oooo:                  Host: MS-7C52 1.0 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.9.13-arch1-1 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 3 hours, 53 mins 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 846 (pacman) 
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: bash 5.1.0 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1920x1080 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           DE: Xfce 4.14 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM: Xfwm4 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         WM Theme: Default 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Theme: Adwaita-dark [GTK2], Adwaita [GTK3] 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3] 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal: xfce4-terminal 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     Terminal Font: Source Code Pro 11 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (12) @ 3.400GHz 
 `++:.                           `-/+/   GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590 
 .`                                 `/   Memory: 3645MiB / 32123MiB 

#6974 2020-12-12 21:15:24

GSMiller

Hello AndyMender, great to have you here with us! It is a great place for dedicated and intelligent coders!

#6975 2020-12-13 03:56:42

twobooks

Hello everyone,
a 15 year-old book also running arch in a good way.

-`                    victor@vaio.local 
                  .o+`                   ----------------- 
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux 32 i686 
                `+oooo:                  Host: VGN-B100B(UC) 01 
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 5.9.13-arch1-1.0 
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 1 hour, 21 mins 
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Packages: 490 (pacman) 
            `/++++/+++++++:              Shell: bash 5.0.18 
           `/++++++++++++++:             Resolution: 1400x1050 
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           WM: Openbox 
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          WM Theme: Artwiz-boxed 
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         Theme: Adwaita-dark [GTK3] 
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Icons: oxygen [GTK3] 
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.       Terminal: qterminal 
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-       Terminal Font: FreeMono 14 
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-     CPU: Intel Pentium M 1.60GHz (1) @ 1.600GHz 
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:    GPU: Intel 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device 
 `++:.                           `-/+/   Memory: 463MiB / 1495MiB 
 .`                                 `/

Board footer