You are not logged in.

#676 2009-10-14 19:27:53

ASOM

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello,

While I'm not new to ArchLinux I am new to the forum. After getting burnt out on my previous online hangout I started checking out other forums, this forum has one of the best community's I have seen. I run a few different flavors of nix on my rigs, Arch is installed on 2, one is an rpath/conary based work in progress. My main rig runs what I guess would be called a paludis managed version of Gentoo with a custom portage tree maintained by a few friends and myself.  My skills with linux aren't that great, I can write ebuilds, bash scripts and that sort of thing, but I know nothing of programming really. Too much time spent keeping up with my chosen career to ever get a chance to even look at how to start writing code that works.

Guess that's about it for now. I'll be lurking around to see if I can offer up anything useful and donate some cycles to the fold team.

#677 2009-10-14 21:15:01

Andrew11

Hello everyone greetings from west coast USA.

#678 2009-10-14 23:00:50

Miitch

Hey everyone,
I am Mitchel, 20 years old.
Born in the netherlands and I am currently doing a study "computer science" in Arnhem where I also happen to live with my girlfriend.

My first linux distro was linux mint. I installed it 7 months ago and I thought it was a pretty cool. I ran it on my laptop which has a pretty slow processor a 1.6 celeron and 1gig ram tongue. After a while it began to annoy me how slow it was and my laptop always had a load of 2.2 tongue

So i started looking for a faster distro i read alot about distro's and i actually tried arch as my second distro and i loved the speed of it my laptop was pretty fast when i installed it with arch and xfce.

Now i installed arch for the second time on my new laptop a Lenovo T400 and it runs like charm witch arch and kde-mod. I also tries open-box and fluxbox it sounds pretty cool but i haven't had enought time to fully configure it.

The best thing about arch is that it is very easy to configure everything you don't have to know 40 config files or more smile

greetz,
Mitchel

PS. sorry for my english hopefully it will improve a bit on this forum smile

Thinkpad t400 | t8400 | 4gb ram | 160gb harddisk | x86_64 Arch | Gnome

#679 2009-10-15 18:32:29

anonymous_user

Hello everyone,

I am Kevin and Im from California. While Im not new to Linux, I am new to Arch.

I've always envied Arch's rolling release and up-to-date packages, and I hope I can fully commit to finally leaving Ubuntu.

#680 2009-10-16 13:13:31

briangc

Hello everyone.

Just switching from Ubuntu to Archlinux. Still very much on a learning curve as far as Linux in general is concerned, but I'm not pressing too many wrong buttons.

#681 2009-10-17 05:58:42

scottm

Just bought a Dell Mini 10v and was looking for a nice bloat free OS for it.  Someone recommended Arch and after looking at the frequently updated repos and package manager I think it'll work out nicely.  I also wanted to control what was running, where other distros seem to have problems with that.

#682 2009-10-19 00:49:22

RetroX

Hey, everyone!

I've been using various distributions of GNU/Linux for about a year, starting with Ubuntu 8.10, and later messing with Ubuntu 9.04, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mandriva, and Gentoo.  Then, after hearing a bit about Arch, I decided to try it.  So far, I've been using it ever since, and I've long since ditched Ubuntu (although, I occasionally use the Live CD for partitioning). big_smile

I'm also an intermediate C++ programmer, although not very familiar with much outside basic console programming.  Right now, I've been working on writing a tutorial for coding in C++ as well as installing Arch and configuring it (as both reminders for myself and for help to others).

#683 2009-10-20 13:48:45

yule

Hello,

also an Ubuntu convert here - been using linux on and off for about 5 years now - 3 years exclusively! I liked the rolling release model and the flexibility of arch and now I'm using kdemod which I find very, very good.

Also I love the community and the wiki. It was like a warm welcome!

Greetings to the community and congrats to the devs!

#684 2009-10-20 17:39:10

jimbok

I've been using Linux in varying degrees for ~15 years.  Started with the purchase of Redhat 5.2 on floppies.  Used Redhat 9 for a few years, then some of early Fedora releases.  Jumped ship to Debian Sarge, then Etch, then Lenny.  Sarge was my first full-time Linux desktop. I still run those needed Windows apps via a virtual machine though.  Debian was very stable, but I kept running into challenges when I wanted to play with newer versions of individual apps.  Tried Ubuntu Hardy/Intrepid/Jaunty, but they were similar to Debian, and always pestering me to upgrade.  Blah!

It was time to search for a rolling-release distro.  Arch, Gentoo, and LFS seemed to be my only choices.  Arch, being binary-based and a whole lot easier to configure, won. Simple is good.  Since August, I am currently running x86_64 on my desktop and i686 on my laptop.  The last few months have been the most fun I have had with Linux since Redhat 9.

After using the Redhat, Debian, Ubuntu, and Arch support community, The Arch Community has been the most cruft-free.  The wiki and forums are, for the most part, direct and to the point and has made the transition a whole lot easier.

Thanks!

Registered Linux User #402088

#685 2009-10-21 01:52:05

skipbarker
Website

Hello all!

I decided it was time for a change to something new, so here I am. I'm anxiously downloading the Arch torrent now.

I've been a linux user for a while but I am new to the world of Arch.

I hope I can be of help to the community.

Skip

#686 2009-10-21 05:50:59

stephenmorphey

Hello All,

Am Stephen Morphey, its been quiet a while with Arc. Am liking the experience.

#687 2009-10-21 05:52:40

stephenmorphey

Hello All,

Am Stephen Morphey, its been quiet a while with Arc. Am liking the experience.

#688 2009-10-22 13:49:44

newbster

Hello!

I'm a fresh Linux user from Italy, started with Ubuntu a couple of years ago and then switched to Arch six months ago.  I obviously loved it.
That's it I guess. See you in the forums!

#689 2009-10-23 08:02:41

rudyphelps

Hi everybody, I've been using Arch for only a few months now.

Like many others, I first started using Ubuntu (Xubuntu) after trying a couple of other distros: Fedora, and Debian to be exact.

After a while, I was looking for something more minimalist, or "simpler" as maybe is more accurate. I tried Gentoo, but it seems Arch was just what I was looking for.

I like the transparentness of Arch and the customization, and am still learning how linux works as a whole. No major problems yet, but it looks like everybody here is not above helping us newbies.

Hope to get to know some of you,
Rudy Phelps

#690 2009-10-23 13:01:15

Unnilhexio

Hi everyone, i installed arch a couple of weeks ago by recomendation. I used ubuntu some time but i felt it was quite crappy and decided to make a swap.

big_smile

#691 2009-10-23 19:40:45

Slayersdf

Hello,my name is Mihnea and i come from Romania.
I'm 17 and have only been using windows and a little bit ubuntu until now.
I chose arch because it is a challenge and i want to learn how to use it.
I have just installed it today and have major issues,but i will read a lot; also excuse me if my questions are naive.

Cheers!

#692 2009-10-23 21:09:11

ruffedgz

Just saying hi for the first time on this section.

Been playing with arch for about a year now and love it a lot. Hope I can help out and also learn more about arch/linux during my time here.

Cheers!

Arch linux i686 | Dell XPS m1530 | Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz | 3 GB RAM | 250GB HDD

#693 2009-10-24 20:34:43

novafluxx

Hello everyone!

I, like many others before me, started out (most recently) with Ubuntu, and decided that to much of the OS was hidden from me, and I felt that I couldn't learn anything without breaking the system. It worked out-of-box for me, and I have a lot of respect for it as a Linux Distribution, and appreciate its contributions to the community and the progression of Linux.

I began using with 8.10, then running the pre-releases of Ubuntu back in January, with 9.04 and its alpha releases. From there I went on to run 9.04, and found out fast that software in the FOSS world gets out of date. Ran into issues with Pidgin, and, although I knew I could resolve them, I was disappointed in the lack of serious updates. I began testing 9.10 and had a blast, and just about 4 weeks ago, I decided to give this Arch thing a try, having heard about it on the Ubuntu forums.

Because I'm learning, and playing, I decided to do this in a virtual machine. So here, on my desktop I'm running Virtual Box 3.0.8, and I've got Arch installed, got sound working, got internet working, got the VB Additions all setup, mouse integration, etc, installed GNOME, and its excellent. I've learned a lot about the inner-workings of the system, much more than I could have just by installing and using Ubuntu!

Its been a great ride, and I've finally decided to join the community!

I first began toying with Linux back about 10-12 years ago as a teen, and bought a box version of Mandrake, read the manual, didn't understand it at all. I knew it was something I wanted to learn though. A few years later I got back into it with Debian, running Sid (the unstable branch), and had a working system, but I still didn't learn to much, and soon forgot about it and deleted the partition.

It wasn't until last year, that I got back into Linux, after seeing how popular Ubuntu has become, and I must say, Linux has come a VERY long way! The kernel and all its trimmings that go along with it, are outstanding!

Almost all my hardware is detected automatically, and configured, and I don't have to do much of anything, except use what I WANT to use, and set it up how I WANT it setup, and it just works, amazing compared to just 10 years ago (in my mind at least).

The progress being made by the kernel, and all the other distro's is wonderful, and I'm almost ready to dump Windows completely on my laptop!

My only issue has been thus far, an issue with Gnome, and some pacman questions, which I've searched the wiki and forums but haven't found an exact answer, so I will start a new thread for those two questions.

I'm happy to be hear, and hope soon I'll be one of the one's who contributes and answers people's questions here, instead of asking!

Thanks!
-Justin

#694 2009-10-26 21:10:29

rednano12

Hello world!

Unlike most, I actually started messing with a SLAX linux LiveCD when I was around 9. I never installed it though, as I had heard the horror stories. After about a year, I gave up on it and re-entered the world of Linux with the release of Ubuntu 8.04. I had a blast with it, but the newer Ubuntu updates, I couldn't get them to run the way I wanted to. I heard about Arch Linux and now have a computer that just has a terminal and no wireless. Time to get my hands dirty!

#695 2009-10-28 14:07:05

Raziel

Hello there, guys!
I'm new to Arch Linux!
I've been using GNU/Linux since the late 2006, i've used Debian, Slackware, Gentoo and I'm now giving Arch a try, hoping it will become my favourite distro.

Cheers!

Raziel

#696 2009-10-30 06:57:28

jazen

Greetings from LA, after much encouragement from a good friend of mine, I finally made the attempt to install Arch.

I've used ubuntu since 2007 and pretty familiar with it, but its a little too heavy for one of my laptops, anyways, I'll get more detailed with questions later.

Ciao
Jason

#697 2009-10-30 07:25:38

sweetandy
Website

Hey Archies! wink My story, I guess:

I was bored with Windows and didn't know anything else was out there, when I found out about FreeBSD back in 7th grade... I must have been 13. After using it to telnet to my favorite MUD from my bed for a few months, I actually learned about it, moved to NetBSD (because it could run on a toaster), and then learned about Linux. First distro: Debian Sarge. I've burned more ISOs than I care to count (ack, I just did, 67), and became obsessed with reinstalling from scratch every month or so for the longest time.

I use a Mac for YouTube and Netflix Instant Watch and email (because it rarely gets reinstalled), but Linux for just about everything else. My Mac's Intel, but my other Mac Mini is PowerPC and my iBook G4 is PowerPC as well... so I run Debian on those. But I've found Debian just so boring lately, and wanted to try something else. I remember trying Arch with an old Intel box ages ago before having to give the computer to a friend in need, and I remember loving it! So...

After many, many mistakes and major headaches, I finally got Arch to install as a dual-boot on my Intel Mac! Now I can reboot into Arch when I want to focus on really fun computing and have OS X up for casual fun.

I'm loving it, even though it's only been up for less than a week! I hope to see all of you in the forum in the years to come!

--Andrew

My MOM uses Arch Linux.

"Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?"

#698 2009-11-01 19:24:03

rusma

Just saying:

Hi! smile

..before asking first question in newbie corner.

I've tried Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora for the desktop. For server I'm running FreeBSD and Debian. I'm considering myself as a noob on N*X.

I like cats.

#699 2009-11-01 20:45:10

chocolatl56

Hi everyone!

I started using linux with Kubuntu, but it felt too rigid.  So, I started distro-hopping, and I found KDEMod and Arch.  Installation went fairly smooth (except for a few wireless issues). Pacman seems really powerful but not too confusing.  Arch has been a pleasure to use so far!

-chocolatl smile

Last edited by chocolatl56 (2009-11-01 20:45:26)

What's yellow and very, very dangerous? A canary with the super-user password.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Setup:
Arch64, KDEMod4

#700 2009-11-02 01:32:40

llcawthorne

Not sure if anyone reads this thread, but I came to say:
"My name is Lewis, and I am an Arch-aholic."
Ok, sorry if someone has done that already, because I am not one of the people that have ready this thread.

But yes, hello all!

I started messing with Slackware back when my modem was 2400 and I had to order the CD from Walnut Creek.  95ish?  Beats me.  It was fun.  I still vaguely remember it being a pain when they switched to ELF format, and to this day get skittish about updating gcc because of it.  I worked for an ISP and got to mess around with all sorts of various Linux boxes for a while and all was well.  I gamed some on my personal pc though, so went Windows with it.  When I finally started messing around with Linux on my home PC, it was Gentoo back when starting at Stage 1 was the way to go.  Good times.  I used it a while.  I don't remember what I did to my Gentoo box, but I know I didn't have a useable backup and didn't want to startover getting everything just the way I liked it, so I went back to Windows for a while.  I switched to Ubuntu for a bit sometime around 6.something or early 7 and thought it was usable and pretty powerful, so I messed with it for a while.  Then my community college professor had a silly windows program we needed for a class that I couldn't get to work in WINE and had broken timings in a virtual box, so I just started using Vista a lot (I dislike rebooting to switch OS's), and kept Linux around in virtual machines (normally fullscreen on monitor two).  I ended up tossing a good video card in Vista and messing with some games, but I didn't have the time to justify a game habit.  Well, so, I built my new PC and planned on just going Linux with it, but when I tried sticking Ubuntu on it I had some problem, and I didn't have time to build a Gentoo distribution.  I get free MS software through school though, so I figured it was a good excuse to play with Windows 7.  Messed with it through beta, rc and RTM.  It's out now, and I still have a free copy, but I found myself using and shelling into my Linux VM more than I was doing stuff in 7 (other than simple browsing and e-mail reading I could do anywhere), so I tried Arch.  It only took me a week or two of VM'ing it to fall in love.  I tore down my RAID array and gave Arch 3 TB of space on my hard drives and a spot on my laptop too, and am quite happy with the way things worked out.  I reconstructed a Gentoo install on the side since doing that, and the speed was comparable and the time spent watching things compile much less when using Arch, plus the wiki tended to be equally good and often more up to date, so my Gentoo install is languishing away over in the 100 GB I cut off for it.  But yes, I am definitely liking Arch and the Arch Way of Doing Things.  In my time since install, I have been spending about a 3-4 days per WM trying to get a handle on things (new linux; why not a new look?), and am having fun with the whole tiling thing.  Hopefully I can settle in around here for a while.

Lewis

To understand recursion, you must understand recursion.

Board footer