You are not logged in.

#701 2009-11-02 21:00:12

GreyPilgrim

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi

I first tried linux in the 1990's when I bought a cd from Suse. In those days it wasn't very usable so I went back to windows. Started using it full tuime in 2003 and have used Mandrake Suse, Debian, PCLOS and Kubuntu & then returned to Mandriva. I did look at Fedora but didn't like it. Decided that since it is now time to update the system again it would be a good idea to try a distro that youdidn't need to reinstall every six months and one that would help me learn a bit about the system. So here I am with Arch and after the quick & polite help I received setting up LAMP I think it was a good decision.

Michael  (GreyPilgrim)

Disabilities change life.
They don't end it!

#702 2009-11-04 17:03:43

Linnette
Website

New here and getting ready to find out more about this community. My husband has been using Arch for a couple months now and has been wanting to to begin so I guess it is time to learn.

#703 2009-11-05 10:35:07

isolor

Hi all,

I'm mainly a Windows user (I like to play some games) but always liked to toy with some different GNU/linux OS, tried ubuntu and debian but just the desktop editions trying to avoid any console use at all.

I discovered Arch and found "The Arch Way" as a very interesting idea, so I want to finally get into linux and learn as much as I can.

I keep on reading everywhere that Arch is more for advanced linux users, I want to think it depends on the will of the user himself having pacience and taking time to read every manual needed to set up everything right. What do you think? Should I keep on with my idea ou otherways I should find another distro and come back later.

I'm spanish so please excuse my english.

I'm from Spain and don't get to practice English very often, so please don't get mad at my mistakes.

#704 2009-11-05 15:35:36

Gen2ly
Website

Since you are primarily a windows user, going directly to Arch would be a pretty good challenge.  Ubuntu and Debian aren't going to teach alot about the underpinnings of Linux which helps alot with Arch.  If you want to try Arch, I'd recommend test-driving it in Virtual Box or the like and getting familiar with it before you try a regular install.  Take a look at the Beginners' Guide for a good starting point.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#705 2009-11-05 15:39:07

jackmetal

Howdy Guys (and Gals).. ;-)

After a couple years hiatus from Arch, I've made my way back.  Looking forward to the great community here again.

--

Some of the world's greatest feats were
accomplished by people not smart enough
to know they were impossible.
-- Doug Larson

#706 2009-11-06 14:14:53

samjh
Website

I've been around for a bit, but I should say hi. smile

I'm a migrant from the Ubuntu world, and am thoroughly satisfied with the way Arch is working for me.  I tried Debian's testing branch for a reasonably up-to-date rolling-release distro, but it didn't work out due to reliability issues.  Arch manages the fine balance between "bleeding edge" and "cutting edge", very well.

#707 2009-11-08 02:43:04

sodium
Website

Long time linux user -mostly gentoo. For some bizarre reason I thought I was tired of  the whole tweaking/compiling routine and "just wanted stuff to work". That was a mistake because here I am - this time with arch and so far I like it very much.

see ya around folks..

#708 2009-11-08 09:24:16

seabra

Hello!

I'm a long time Linux user, having used all the distros out there now I'm trying arch linux in my laptop to replace the WindowsVista.

Hugs and Kisses,
seabra

#709 2009-11-08 22:38:25

satanalin

Hello World!
I'm from snowy Moscow. I'm using linux about a year and enjoy this. I used different types of ubuntu, try opensuse and came to arch, because my ubuntu unwanted to reinstall again and in my logical aim to find the best distribution he took the first place. I know German and English. I like philosophy, history, metal and science. My profession is economist, but I'm director of small web-studio. PHP, CSS, HTML, SQL - it's all I know. Sorry for my bad language and linux knowledge, I try to be better. Now, Arch way is my way too.
Thank you, guys for all you did, do and will do. Glad to be here=)

#710 2009-11-09 23:55:05

Gutti

Hi,

I'm Philipp - originally from Germany, Munich but since two years in UK, Nottingham.

I went from Suse to Debian to Ubuntu to Mint, had a look at Puppy Linux, finally went back to Debian.
While trying to install a minimal fluxbox desktop in Debian I discovered that most times my searches ended on the arch wiki.

That why I then started arch and its the !!!! first !!!! distro I only installed once .... And whatever You try
its just much simpler because there's a really good wiki, a good forum and the arch system is just keep
transparent. That's what linux should be like !

Excellent Job Folks ! - I love it. tongue

Cheers

#711 2009-11-10 05:44:34

hallelujahtalon

Hello from talon,

I am very new to arch forum. I wish I can learn and share my knowledge to other members here.
Nice to meet you all!

#712 2009-11-10 15:41:14

affirmedatheist

Joined here a few days ago. I started playing with Arch in a VM about a week ago, and it surprised me just how much I've learned in the past year. As a result, I'm finally going to ditch my Vista boot and toss Arch onto that partition (I have VMs for windows apps, and most of the programs I use work under wine anyway).

I've been toying with Linux since around 2006 (Ubuntu 6.06, and it didn't like my computer, which was quite new at the time, to be fair), and have experience with a fair variety of operating systems (mostly Windows, but the experience goes back to Dos and 3.11; I've also used Amiga Workbench to chuck in a slightly random).

I currently run Kubuntu 9.10 (and am having few issues with it, which is why it'll stay on its current drive (I'll probably share /home between the two boots, though, and mount something at a /home-backup or something.).

I'm definitely attracted to Arch's rolling release model, and really like the KISS approach (in addition, the Arch Wiki is *much* easier to follow than Gentoo's Handbook (which I've also looked at in the past).

Not that I'm a dunce. Given a good man page I can usually work out an unfamiliar command.

BTW, I love the look of this site. Easily one of the cleanest I've ever seen. :)

Last edited by affirmedatheist (2009-11-10 15:42:07)

#713 2009-11-10 18:08:12

TusharG

Hi everyone,
    Although I'm using linux for more than 11 years I never had a chance to use distro that is not based on Redhat/Debian. I'm quite comfortable with Debian however I must say, "today is my firstday in Arch linux and its a totally different world. The world that I didnt know exists." Somehow i have manged to start X with icewm on my HP Pavilion dv8000z laptop and with ATI readon xpress 200m card. I'm still learning things on first day of Arch Linux. So far its been wonderful experience. Currently my fonts on icewm are as bad as possible, and while I'm writing here I'm installing GNome 2.28 in background.
Also I found Arch wiki very very informative in installing display driver and Xorg. Good work everyone who contributed.

#714 2009-11-11 10:39:56

firenze

hello there arch universe ..

not long ago i was walking in the jungle of distros, trapped forewer. or so i thought. years passed and there was no way out to be found..
one day, i found small box. it was wery simple and light, or so i thought... writing on top of it said "BEWARE THOSE WHO UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF ARCH! " . it wasn't locked, so, without knowing what would happen i opened it and unleashed the power so big, that it broke frozen windows which were surrounding jungle of distros. after the shockwave nothing seemed to be as before. jungle was gone.. there was only me standing in white space with no borders to my spirit... after a while i saw little spark far away, next moment, few more apeared. and i understanded, that those sparks far away are other users once trapped and now free to explore the universe of arch.

so here i am smiling ear to ear and whispering | hello there, arch universe" ...

#715 2009-11-12 00:00:07

scrib3

Arbitrary echo "hello world"

Slackware hacker now Archlinux convert. Love it, live it.  I have it installed on three systems running a myriad of different roles and I can't complain at all.

To any non-new people reading, thanks for all the contributions to a wonderful distro.

#716 2009-11-13 13:31:04

jocheem67

Hello, Jochem from Haarlem, Holland:
Been on Ubuntu/Debian for about three years. Had some spare time on my hands and the eagerness to learn me some more linux...Arch seems like a ver y good teacher.
Will stick around for a long time I presume. Running Arch on my laptop and desktop, netbook will be tried later on. No real probs 'till now. Really like it!

#717 2009-11-15 01:04:50

Xlator

'ello. Just want to say that the last 24 hours or so with arch have been some of the most enjoyable of my life as far as using Linux goes. I'm a long-time Debian user since I gave in to peer-pressure from some IRC buddies back in 2002. Had a few unhappy encounters with Windows when the gaming urge became too strong, but spent most of my time on my Mac Powerbook G4 since I "switched" in 2004. Became rather less of a Mac zealot when the PPC days ended because I couldn't afford to upgrade. Started using Debian again full-time a couple of months ago after having been screwed over one time too many by Winblows.

Was talking to one of my aforementioned IRC buddies the other night. He had nothing but praise for arch, so I decided to give it a go, being more than a little frustrated with how slow and ancient everything is in Debian stable (four-five minutes of boot-up time isn't my idea of efficient computing, even my Mac boots quicker!). So here I am!

Now, if I can just get my Geforce 4 and wine to play nice together so I can get my Diablo II fix I can delete the hulking 15GB-ish Debian install on my main hard drive for good. smile Thanks Arch! I'm gonna be here a while. big_smile

#718 2009-11-16 08:25:20

devadittya
Website

Hello All!

I have been using Linux sparingly for the last 4-5 years. Only recently, did I make my my mind to move over to Linux entirely (except for my pro-audio requirements).
In the past I had used Redhat, Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu and Debian. This time I was looking for something as streamlined and customizable as Debian, something with a good package manager ala apt-get, and something that had bleeding edge software upgrades. Thus, the search ended at Arch Linux. My first 30 hours or so have been awesome. I am working on a small glitch (ie getting opengl/3D to work with my HD 4570 graphics card). In the near future I'll try and get my tv-tuner card working as well.
I hope that I am able to contribute to the community, is some capacity, in the future.

Regards
Dev

#719 2009-11-16 09:59:55

kick52

Oh hai guys big_smile
Lolololol.

#720 2009-11-16 19:12:10

donkyhotay
Website

Hello, migrating to arch linux from ubuntu due to not being able to configure it *exactly* as I want with the most recent versions.

Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on beliving in windmills.

#721 2009-11-16 19:18:22

bino28
Website

Hello, I used Arch Linux to two mothes.
Congratulation the distribution.

[]'s

#722 2009-11-16 19:22:39

tverdok

Hi everybody, I'm writing to you all from terribly corrupt country of Ukraine.
I'm 20 years old, I'm a SysAdmin/Student and I have been using Linux on and off since I was 13 (about the time I got my first computer), I was distro surfing for a while (Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo) until I finally stumbled upon Arch 3 months ago. I love everything about it (except lack of additional security features). All my home PCs run Arch and I'm hoping to move two production servers to Arch by end of the year. I'm a big fan of Linux and I'm the kind of guy who tries to convince everyone I meet to move to Linux (partly successful so far).

I'm hoping to contribute to this community in any way I can. Nice to meet you all.

P.S. Winblows must die!

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
   Nathaniel Borenstein

#723 2009-11-19 00:58:49

MrBlueSky
Website

G'day Archmen! I'm 18 years old and living in Florida but with hopes to move to Europe in a few years. I program here and there as a hobbiest and I'm rather great with python & php and I know my way around Scheme & Haskell. I also paint and am really into art & animation. I originally was a Windozer but moved to Ubuntu on a lonely summer day with nothing to do. I stuck with Ubuntu for about a year because it just worked so well for me, but I realized that I could only learn so much about linux by letting a newbie distro hold my hand forever. About a month ago I jumped over to Arch and the change is awesome! I've learned far more about linux this month than I did over the entire year of Ubuntu. My favorite part about the change is the customizability that arch forces. Ubuntu makes changing even something as simple as the windows manager a living hell for the average Ubuntu user.

I hope to be an active member here! (:

Last edited by MrBlueSky (2009-11-19 00:59:28)

#724 2009-11-20 19:59:06

cavveman

New here, and new with linux unless i dont count my time with ubuntu for the latest 6 months.

Hopefully i will stay here for a while smile

#725 2009-11-20 20:59:25

jankowiak

Hey all,

I'm from the land of eternal Spring Guatemala.

New to Arch, been using linux off and on for the last 8 years... Been through Mandriva/Mandrake, LFS, Mint and Gentoo.

Been using Arch for the last month or so and it has been a fun ride so far.

Board footer