You are not logged in.

#7626 2023-10-12 12:12:15

CyberMaker

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi everyone, it's nice to be back using Archlinux after ten years of other distros.

#7627 2023-10-12 19:25:20

john-for-truth

Hello everyone.

I'm brand new and this is my first action during my first few minutes in the wiki. 

And I'm oldish, so if any of you were born after 1946, you are younger than me.

But I've been using computers since the 1980s so...  though I'm not a programmer, network admin, etc etc, it's not foreign territory. 

It's been years... decades... since I've tried (and set aside) Linux, but the way MacOS and Windows is heading, it seems like a good time to jump ship from the sinking Titanic of proprietary closed software.

May God bless each of you as you seek truth and righteousness in computing.

Jesus is the Son of God and Lord of all creation.... which is infinitely bigger and better than this matrix that is trying to control us.

John

P.S. I heard about Arch Linux in the Jeff.pro workshop, which I heard about on Telegram in the Jeff Pro chat channel.

#7628 2023-10-19 07:14:38

gipple

Hello everyone, like I said in another post I'm new here, came back to arch after years of Windows smile It's nice to be back smile

#7629 2023-10-20 17:02:21

Kerbalist

Hi all.
So happy to be an Arch user now. Have been using the Windows as default on my budget laptop for quite some time and then got persuaded by some good friends to switch to Arch. Glad I did!
My faith in budget computers has been restored with an actually good operating system. Now my fans don't sound like a hair dryer smile

#7630 2023-10-21 11:17:44

frado

Hi,
I'm newbie in Arch linux, I arrived from debian (10), Ubuntu (N), redhat, suse ... Windows 7, Windows 2000, Windows95, Windows 3.1, Unix, Dos, C64, Onix, PDP11, TI59, TI57, ... (and I think I lost other os/machine in my memory).
But I'm always a newbay :)

I hope Arch-Linux teaches me a lot about Linux.

Last edited by frado (2023-10-21 11:18:33)

#7631 2023-10-29 10:45:27

wesdt

Well, I have used arch in the past and now I returned

#7632 2023-10-29 19:48:06

E3FxGaming

In the past I've used Manjaro Linux XFCE for more than 3 years.

Now I've bought PC parts and assembled a new PC and decided to take the training wheels off - my new PC runs Arch Linux with an XFCE desktop environment (went through the Arch installation guide without archinstall).

#7633 2023-10-31 17:19:52

Adi08

Hello,
my name is Adrian. I used Archlinux many years ago. Now I installed it for deeper learning linux as os and for operating system, that is intended for programming.
I installed Arch with X11 and KDE as DE.

Regards

#7634 2023-11-03 14:28:33

adriatp

Hello everyone big_smile

Sick of windows I've been dabbling with wsl and ubuntu but I think the time has come to go a little deeper.

With Arch-linux I hope to learn how to have real control of your operating system and be able to contribute to the open-source community in some way.

Greetings!

ATP

#7635 2023-11-03 19:04:01

ABeckman

Hello everyone. I am...brand new to linux all along, I have tried a few distros such as big linux, manjaro and ubuntu (Big Linux being the best for me by a big margin), but never really got to learn anything and always went back into windows due to games and... overall usability. I hope Arch will be my ultimate teacher and will enable me to do anything I'd do on windows on a linux distro. Plus the whole bleeding edge updates sounds much more pleasing than having to install a brand new system every few months/years. Can't decide on the freaking Desktop Environment though!!

#7636 2023-11-04 00:55:04

jojo06

Hello everyone.

Its my second time installed Arch. Tried some other Linux and i guess found my spot in Arch. Also i love the forum. Hope i will get a long. I really loved Arch. Even in the installition i realize; it is high qualified OS. Just integrated my video resulition, auto complete system and 'gpg' command is trying to get what your command is and etc. I enjoyed while installing it. I will hangout in a Newbie Corner for a while and never will return there smile

Good forums!

#7637 2023-11-05 11:50:11

Polarnova

Hello everyone,

I’m a new member of this forum and I wanted to say hi and thank you to this amazing community. I have been using Arch Linux for a month now and I’m very impressed by its speed, stability, and flexibility. I have learned a lot from the Arch Wiki, as well as from reading the posts and comments on this forum. During this month, I have encountered and solved many problems related to Arch Linux. I’m looking forward to learning more from this forum and contributing to it as much as I can. I’m very happy to be part of this awesome Arch Linux community!

Thank you for reading and have a great day: )

#7638 2023-11-05 13:58:28

bluefox

Hello everyone ?
Been a lurker for a really long time, wanted to create an account. Cheers!

#7639 2023-11-05 18:11:17

dIQi

Hello everyone!

Been using Arch on my laptop since 2016, now moved my daily driver desktop over

#7640 2023-11-05 19:28:26

zpg443

ABeckman wrote:

Hello everyone. I am...brand new to linux all along, I have tried a few distros such as big linux, manjaro and ubuntu (Big Linux being the best for me by a big margin), but never really got to learn anything and always went back into windows due to games and... overall usability. I hope Arch will be my ultimate teacher and will enable me to do anything I'd do on windows on a linux distro. Plus the whole bleeding edge updates sounds much more pleasing than having to install a brand new system every few months/years. Can't decide on the freaking Desktop Environment though!!

Welcome to Arch. If you have the resources and want a "full featured" DE, people tend towards KDE or Gnome.

#7641 2023-11-06 21:45:59

PurpleAce

Hello. I just started using Arch and am still resolving some issues, but I've been able to find a lot of helpful information here, for which I am very grateful.

#7642 2023-11-07 09:38:09

Khere

I never posted on this topic, i'm using arch since 5 years and i can say that is the most functional,documented and helpful of all the Distros.
Hi everyone

Last edited by Khere (2023-11-07 09:38:38)

Fan of Giorgio Moroder & Mohammad Ammax enemy

#7643 2023-11-07 18:14:18

jomo_G

Hello my fellow arch users,

Thought this might be a place for me to introduce myself, but yeah a brief blurb about myself, name is jomo, based in Edmonton, Alberta. I'm currently attending a college here. I changed to Ubuntu a few months ago and then gained an interest in Arch Linux(BTW, I use arch:)). I was thinking changing my distro to arch last night and baam, here I am, halfway through the installation. I haven't done the remaining parts but will do it later today.

My reasons to use arch:

1. Me personally, I love the freedom. Even if I'm still a newbie to linux, I want to learn more!
2. Some people say it's a good distro while some people don't think so, my philosophy is that you gotta try it yourself to judge.
3. getting bored of ubuntu

Nice to meet yall

Last edited by jomo_G (2023-11-07 18:15:22)

#7644 2023-11-12 11:13:04

Nvidia-Smi

Hello archlinux

#7645 2023-11-12 23:19:32

tonttu

Hi

Newish to Linux, new to Arch. Got myself a Thinkpad a week or two ago and needed a keyboard-centric solution as I hate using the trackpad.
Installed LARBS and have been customizing it since. Really loving the tiling window manager setup.

#7646 2023-11-14 23:00:18

BenjB83

Hi there,

So I finally found my way here… I have been using Linux for about 7 years, starting with Kubuntu, before moving to Ubuntu and from there to openSUSE, KDE Neon and later to Manjaro, which I used for about 3 years. My last OS was EndeavourOS, which I like a lot, mainly because of its theming. Been using it for about a year.

Arch has interested me for a long time and I have been frequently visiting the forums, the wiki and the AUR, during my times with Manjaro and EOS. However, several attempts to install Arch (I think it has been 4 or so), failed due to the lack of experience. It was important for me, that I could and would install it from scratch, using the installation guide, not the archinstall script, available these days. During my first installation attempt, after only some months on Linux, which of course failed utterly, this wasn't even available. Now I had to redo my system, swap disks, etc. So the question arose, whether to install EOS again or just go with the original. EOS and Arch are basically the same, except for the installation part and theming, after all. With that in mind and also to add additional security (EOS had been shut down before and was taken over by new devs), I decided to give Arch another try. If it works, I would keep it… if not… well, I could still go back to EOS, which is sitting on the other disk, waiting to be formatted now. big_smile

It did work… it took a lot of reading and about 4 hours or so, to get a system, that is pretty much to my liking. I decided to go with GDM and Cinnamon (which I got to love on EOS, after many years with KDE). Drivers work and most packages are there... even did some gaming, which worked great and got better FPS too. I am sure there are still some packages missing, that will come to mind within the next day, but the installation is ready and working, and I am happy about it. Took a long time to get here and I can't help but being quite a bit proud of it. That said, I guess I finally found my new home... no more clones and copies. Just the original. 

I would like to thank all those, who helped me with my GPU issue after the installation, which was just me being stupid… and of course, everybody who took the time, to create all the docs and wiki pages and forum posts, that helped during the installation. Very cool! big_smile

Now, before I finish, some words about myself.. I am from South America, 40 years old, by the time of writing this, and I work in the IT and Texting business. Some years ago, I wrote and published a book about Linux, which was fun and I would love to do it again if I only had the time. I use both Windows 11 and Linux, but I prefer Linux and I still hope for that day to come, where I can get rid of Windows completely.

Now enough talk! Cheers! big_smile

Ben

Last edited by BenjB83 (2023-11-14 23:42:50)

#7647 2023-11-17 13:45:32

bruz

Hello hello, arch Linux community!
I'm starting my deeper understanding journey about linux and I want to learn and comprehend this vast environment.
I started with Ubuntu(GNOME) then -> Fedora(XFCE and GNOME) -> then Linux Mint(CINNAMON) -> Fedora(again this time KDE) -> and now Arch
I hope my journey will be interesting and consistent
Have a beautiful and productive day! smile

#7648 2023-11-21 00:01:40

OZ7UP

Hi everyone,

Just to quickly introduce myself, I'm from Australia, and this is my first (kinda) time using Arch Linux as my daily driver. I've had prior experience with Linux before with the Raspberry Pi, Puppy Linux, and Linux Lite, but when I moved back from overseas a little while back, I felt it was time to give Arch a try.

After a couple of failed installs and a preview week with my third install, I took the plunge and installed Arch (with KDE Plasma) on a second-hand Lenovo ThinkCentre, and things have run smoothly ever since. I don't think I'll be posting much on the forums as I'm not particularly a power user, and the only times I'll hit the terminal is to either update my packages or make changes to my website, but it's reassuring to know that most of any questions I may have can be answered simply by looking up the wiki or the relevant posts here.

#7649 2023-11-27 15:45:49

slip987

Hi everyone! I've made a decision to switch to Arch for fun a few days ago and so far it's been a very rewarding experience!

#7650 2023-11-28 08:47:09

willowillow

hii!!
its currently slightly past midnight as of posting this, im a high school student who got bored one day and decided to take on installing arch as a challenge with nearly no prior linux experience... still somehow managed to make it to a desktop going off existing forum posts for troubleshooting and trial and error... and a few guides here and there, so finally hit a wall and thought it was time to get on the forums, plans to move to linux once possible(running arch on virtualbox rn), im rather anxious so please be patient. What unforeseen adventures await.

Board footer