You are not logged in.

#7676 2024-01-13 23:28:20

Lacike
Member
Registered: 2023-08-20
Posts: 3

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Arch Rocks!

Hello to everyone.

Offline

#7677 2024-01-15 06:52:48

CadianGuardsman
Member
Registered: 2024-01-09
Posts: 1

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

thanks to this forum and the manual, I've been enjoying Arch for about a week. gonna attempt to rice soon


Although the Golden Throne of Terra orbits a distant star far from here, the Emperor's hand is on your shoulders today. You have fought and displayed bravery and loyalty far and above your calling as Guardsmen. You have faced the full brunt of an Ork Waaagh! as well as stared down the horrors of the Warp in the fallen Space Marines, and in that I am honoured to have led you.

Offline

#7678 2024-01-15 13:21:12

cgb_spender
Member
Registered: 2024-01-15
Posts: 48
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hiya,
Arch is the best Linux distro that I have tried so far.


Only one thing is certain: nothing is certain.

Offline

#7679 2024-01-16 16:42:38

agurkmeister
Member
Registered: 2024-01-16
Posts: 8

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello fellow "btw" users!

Offline

#7680 2024-01-17 13:06:45

alexroy786@myyahoo.com
Member
Registered: 2024-01-17
Posts: 1

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

helloo

Offline

#7681 2024-01-17 13:49:00

spacehobo
Member
Registered: 2024-01-17
Posts: 1

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

hi buddies!
I'm using Archlinux more than 8 years (don't remember exactly), but I've created an account at the bbs just now.

Offline

#7682 2024-01-20 00:29:29

dannker
Member
Registered: 2024-01-20
Posts: 1

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

!!! Hello to everyone !!!

Offline

#7683 2024-01-20 15:08:15

maboleth
Member
Registered: 2020-01-03
Posts: 220

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Just a quickie - shout out to all Arch helpers, mods and admins on your kind, prompt and superb support over the years! Cheers!

Offline

#7684 2024-01-20 19:52:02

cgb_spender
Member
Registered: 2024-01-15
Posts: 48
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

hear-hear!


Only one thing is certain: nothing is certain.

Offline

#7685 2024-01-20 19:55:22

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 19,823

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

maboleth wrote:

Just a quickie - shout out to all Arch helpers, mods and admins on your kind, prompt and superb support over the years! Cheers!

We appreciate that.  Thank you.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#7686 2024-01-20 21:49:16

WSDEs via FOSS
Member
Registered: 2021-02-28
Posts: 16

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi everyone,

I have been reading this and similar forums for several years and am very grateful for all the useful advice.

I am based in London, UK.

I used Anarchy Installer on a Lenovo Thinkpad T480 about 5 years ago because I lacked the skills to format drives/roots/etc correctly in the normal installation process.
I moved on from this machine due to freezing issues and now have a second-hand Lenovo Thinkpad P52 which I also installed using Anarchy.

I need to create a thread to try and get some support either on here, a different forum or even from a Linux technician. But I thought I would start here and try to make sure I do things the right way in terms of etiquette.

Thanks for reading.

Offline

#7687 2024-01-21 09:57:53

cgb_spender
Member
Registered: 2024-01-15
Posts: 48
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

WSDEs via FOSS wrote:

I need to create a thread to try and get some support either on here, a different forum or even from a Linux technician. But I thought I would start here and try to make sure I do things the right way in terms of etiquette.

Thanks for reading.

Hi, welcome. The official auto installer called archinstall is easy to use for new Arch users and works pretty well on diverse PCs and laptops if you are willing to try it. My optimized protocol for archinstall is described here. There is also a whole subforum here devoted to archinstall.


Only one thing is certain: nothing is certain.

Offline

#7688 2024-01-21 10:46:08

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 7,771
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

WSDEs via FOSS wrote:

I am based in London, UK.

Hello neighborino :-)

WSDEs via FOSS wrote:

I used Anarchy Installer

We can't support that here, you will have to either install manually by following the official installation guide or use the archinstall script mentioned by cgb_spender. I would recommend a manual install, it's not as tricky as it first appears and you will learn a lot.

EDIT:

cgb_spender wrote:

My optimized protocol for archinstall is described here

Please do not recommend that people follow YouTube videos when installing Arch manually. The official guide is the only supported method.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2024-01-21 13:14:26)

Offline

#7689 2024-01-21 18:42:01

WSDEs via FOSS
Member
Registered: 2021-02-28
Posts: 16

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

cgb_spender wrote:
WSDEs via FOSS wrote:

I need to create a thread to try and get some support either on here, a different forum or even from a Linux technician. But I thought I would start here and try to make sure I do things the right way in terms of etiquette.

Thanks for reading.

Hi, welcome. The official auto installer called archinstall is easy to use for new Arch users and works pretty well on diverse PCs and laptops if you are willing to try it. My optimized protocol for archinstall is described here. There is also a whole subforum here devoted to archinstall.

Thanks CGB.

I would imagine I tried archinstall as I was at my wits' end unable to get up and running until I found Anarchy.

I have been using my current install since October, so I would rather not start from scratch yet again but I will be sure to start with archinstall and your protocol which I've bookmarked, should the worst happen again - thank you.

Offline

#7690 2024-01-21 18:50:11

WSDEs via FOSS
Member
Registered: 2021-02-28
Posts: 16

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
WSDEs via FOSS wrote:

I am based in London, UK.

Hello neighborino :-)

WSDEs via FOSS wrote:

I used Anarchy Installer

We can't support that here, you will have to either install manually by following the official installation guide or use the archinstall script mentioned by cgb_spender. I would recommend a manual install, it's not as tricky as it first appears and you will learn a lot.

EDIT:

cgb_spender wrote:

My optimized protocol for archinstall is described here

Please do not recommend that people follow YouTube videos when installing Arch manually. The official guide is the only supported method.

Hi Head_on_a_Stick, it's good to know there are local people here - I have often wished to find local support with my system/s but it doesn't seem like there is much of a market.

Sorry to hear about Anarchy. I put days into installing via the official guide but had no success. Will try again next time though.

Offline

#7691 2024-01-22 11:30:57

cgb_spender
Member
Registered: 2024-01-15
Posts: 48
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
cgb_spender wrote:

My optimized protocol for archinstall is described here

Please do not recommend that people follow YouTube videos when installing Arch manually. The official guide is the only supported method.

I deleted all mentions of videos from my manual. Instead, I will write a manual installation guide in the following format:
a default described briefly in plain language with a footnote containing details also described in nontechnical language;
the next default;
etc.


Only one thing is certain: nothing is certain.

Offline

#7692 2024-01-22 12:24:47

schard
Forum Moderator
From: Hannover
Registered: 2016-05-06
Posts: 2,011
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

cgb_spender's installation guide wrote:

First and foremost, run these commands:
pacman -Syy
pacman -S archlinux-keyring

Next, execute this command:
archinstall

There is so much wrong with that...


macro_rules! yolo { { $($tokens:tt)* } => { unsafe { $($tokens)* } }; }

Offline

#7693 2024-01-22 14:30:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 29,628
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

There is so much wrong with the very idea of writing your own guide and sharing it with people.  The end result is that you will have to support all those users, because we sure wont.  Not to mention the irony of starting the whole write up with blanket insults of this community ... ironically implying that you are more "friendly".

Insulting the whole community and doing a disservice to anyone who would find your write up is not what I would call "friendly".

EDIT: rereading it I perhaps ascribed a bit more to the intro than may have been meant ... I'm really not sure.  But still it's a problematic start as it is so easy to misinterpret (if I indeed did misinterpret it).

Last edited by Trilby (2024-01-22 14:32:17)


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#7694 2024-01-22 14:57:17

cgb_spender
Member
Registered: 2024-01-15
Posts: 48
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

schard wrote:
cgb_spender's installation guide wrote:

First and foremost, run these commands:
pacman -Syy
pacman -S archlinux-keyring

Next, execute this command:
archinstall

There is so much wrong with that...

Criticism and comments are welcome, thanks for reading my stuff. It's wrong but it works. Unfortunately, the alternative does not always work in Russia, and I am guessing in some other countries too ("unknown trust" error even when all mirrors are perfect and all time settings match). Perhaps this problem occurs only on the first of each month.

Last edited by cgb_spender (2024-01-22 15:02:23)


Only one thing is certain: nothing is certain.

Offline

#7695 2024-01-22 15:00:00

cgb_spender
Member
Registered: 2024-01-15
Posts: 48
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Trilby wrote:

There is so much wrong with the very idea of writing your own guide and sharing it with people.  The end result is that you will have to support all those users, because we sure wont.  Not to mention the irony of starting the whole write up with blanket insults of this community ... ironically implying that you are more "friendly".

Insulting the whole community and doing a disservice to anyone who would find your write up is not what I would call "friendly".

EDIT: rereading it I perhaps ascribed a bit more to the intro than may have been meant ... I'm really not sure.  But still it's a problematic start as it is so easy to misinterpret (if I indeed did misinterpret it).

The official installation guide is written by people with advanced technical expertise for advanced techies. There is nothing insulting about that. I will insert a disclaimer that readers should not seek technical support for my manual on this forum. And there won't be any big announcement or promotion, just a link in the aforementioned manual for archinstall.

Last edited by cgb_spender (2024-01-22 15:17:54)


Only one thing is certain: nothing is certain.

Offline

#7696 2024-01-23 07:02:13

s4if
Member
Registered: 2024-01-23
Posts: 2

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello, I'm arch-user from Indonesia.. Cheers!

Offline

#7697 2024-01-24 18:00:59

tonyrai26
Member
From: Greece
Registered: 2024-01-23
Posts: 4

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello, I've been using arch for a while and I'm interested to learn more (installed manually btw)

Offline

#7698 2024-01-25 16:11:29

quoher
Member
Registered: 2024-01-25
Posts: 1

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi everyone, many things to learn, hope I could help too.

Offline

#7699 2024-01-25 20:40:00

cgb_spender
Member
Registered: 2024-01-15
Posts: 48
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Greetings, new members.

@Head_on_a_Stick @schard @Trilby:
The manual installation tutorial for beginners has been <redacted URL>completed. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Last edited by ewaller (2024-01-25 23:55:20)


Only one thing is certain: nothing is certain.

Offline

#7700 2024-01-25 23:57:04

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 19,823

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

We do not support installer scripts.  It does not make sense to permit the linking to them from within the forums.  I have redacted the link.   I suggest if anyone is interested, they can sent you a PM.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB