You are not logged in.

#751 2009-12-01 14:58:20

gburus

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone, as traditions goes.

<testimony distro="Arch">
I used to use Ubuntu, but grew tired with bloatiness and lack of simplicity. Of course everything (almost) just worked but...

I tried gentoo, but after waiting for ages for packages to download and compile I gave up.

Then I noticed Arch, dubbed as LFS on steriods - I gave it a shot - and will not look back... I had some problems with configuration (wireless mainly) but howtos and forums are just brilliant and all my problems are resolved for now. Not only it is simple, but just works as well. I use it on a laptop as general use desktop distro, I didn't give it a try as server (I think if I do set up a server I wil use debian anyway)

This is the first distro that I use exclusively (previously I used to use Windows as well for some tasks). The milestone was moving my music collection from share ntfs partition to xfs one.
</testimony>

Anyway, after a bit lengthy introduction, hi fellow Archians

gburus.

Last edited by gburus (2009-12-01 14:59:44)

#752 2009-12-02 03:07:42

fini_fly
Website

Hello everyone!

I am new to Arch but not new to Linux. I was a very loyal Kubuntu fan for 3 years prior, but buggy releases and a constant feeling of being second class to Ubuntu, it was time for me to leave.

After a bit of distro-hopping, I settled on Arch for the following reasons:

1) Rolling release - The 6 month release cycle of Kubuntu was exciting at first, but after broken systems and reinstallations, it gets tiresome.

2) Arch Wiki - I was astonished with the amount of information available in the wiki.

3) The Arch Way - I like this very much.

4) Community - The Kubuntu community was awesome, and I have heard that this one is just as good.

5) Canadian - Turns out that Arch Linux was born in Canada. As a fellow Canuck, this sealed the deal for me! tongue

So hello everyone!
Go Leafs Go!

Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel.

#753 2009-12-05 06:17:07

sausageandeggs

Been using Arch for a while, always managed to get sorted by RTFM or STFW though., so didn't join. Decided to now though for no particular reason. Arch is what you make it which is cool. You know the rest i'm sure, It's all been said before!

Last edited by sausageandeggs (2009-12-05 06:24:31)

#754 2009-12-05 11:30:19

Tekrotzen

Ubuntu > Debian > Arch.
Using Linux is getting more and more satisfying.
Don't really know why I would change for another distro now, I feel like I found the perfect one... For me, anyway! smile

#755 2009-12-05 13:38:29

Roline
Website

Hi

Bitbucket - DeviantART - Userstyles
*Currently Not Using Arch

#756 2009-12-05 23:50:26

CPUnltd
Website

Hello all... decided to try this bad boy out (have used a couple of other distros over the last 3 years) and figured I'd join the forum to see how life was around here...  Looking forward to getting to know this place and hopefully seeing what arch is capable of (at this stage)

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#757 2009-12-06 01:11:08

Kitty

I've come back to Arch. On my eeepc at least. Ubuntu karmic NBR was a total dog on the poor little 701, I had given up on it, sadly. Now with a fresh Arch install, scrotwm for a tiling desktop, and tmux for when I don't care to startx, it's turned back into a sweet little machine. The battery is getting weak so it's on a short leash these days, but the power cord reaches the bed for early morning browsing.

I'm looking forward to the Pine View/Trail (2nd gen atom) netbooks that are coming soon, I plan to Arch one.

/etc/rc.d/ is where daemons reside. Beware.

#758 2009-12-06 07:34:32

Balefire
Website

Hi all.

Started with Slackware '95 (in 1995!). Been using Linux on and off since then, but moved 100% about 5 years ago with SimplyMepis. Switched to Ubuntu @Hoary and stayed there until recently. Have found that a lot of the knowledge I had built up has dribbled out my ears (through lack of use) and wanted something that would bring back the fun of running Linux.

Only just finished my first Arch install not into a VM (I usually find that I screw up and a have to reinstall at least 4 or five times before I "get it"). Everything is looking good for now!

All clouds have a silver lining (except the mushroom shaped ones which have a lining of Strontium 90)

#759 2009-12-06 08:43:01

JohannesSM64
Website

A bit late, considering I already have like 70 posts, but here we go:

My first experience with Linux was 2-3 months ago. Until then, I had only used Windows (except for a few hours using my grandma's macbook). I tried Ubuntu, and for numerous reasons, I wasn't very impressed. I did like some things, though (excellent command line and package management) so I kept playing around. I tried some other distros, and it wasn't until Arch I finally felt at home. There was a recently-introduced kernel bug that made udev load the wrong module for my Edimax wlan adapter, but I eventually found a workaround, and haven't had any problems not related to not understanding how things work since.

Last edited by JohannesSM64 (2009-12-06 12:59:18)

#760 2009-12-06 12:52:01

tiddylicious

Hi!

My first "real" experience with loonix smile wooooaawwh

I have always used Windows as my primary OS, and was ok happy with that. Recently I have had an urge for having things the way _I_ wanted them. A prefigured package can never fulfill that need. -So, to make a long story short, was bored and read about arch linux online. _Really_ liked the thought behind "the arch way" and that its compability with debian/ubuntu packages. Also read that it was for "experienced" users. Well, I love a challenge tongue -And hey, must be the best way to learn doesn't it? whats the fun ubuntu and all working out of the box?

So i just fired up the wiki on another PC and installed arch on my laptop. (Btw, arch has a GOOD WIKI! some outdated stuff ofc, but GOOD!) After some serious work and headaches, i got up a system that kinda worked. But as I didnt know anything about the linux environment i.e bash commands, how the OS differentiated from MS Win etc, how things sticked together, it felt so unfinished and vulnerable. And I alway felt like the biggest moron when I asked for thing here. I felt it was kinda hard to get proper help, because i really lacked knowledge, I almost felt I didn't know how to ask properly hmm

First thing i did, was to make a list over things I know I would need regardless of OS. As I thought, I found almost everything I needed, i.e
Photoshop => Gimp etc etc.

I figured the only way to get more understanding was to simply try to install everything I felt that I wanted to test. Tested everything from fluxbox, XFCE, Gnome etc etc. After I had used them and tried to get the feel of what I could get out of them, I reinstalled everything and only installed and configured the things I wanted. -and now I finally have a good system up and running.

So, my win 7 installation was deleted, and I fully depending on my arch setup now. daaamn, feels good and weird. Not bad for a MS dude? big_smile

I simply love that I can configure and setup things as _I_ want it!

My system right now:
Hardware:Dell Latitude D420
Arch linux w/ SLIM and Gnome + Compiz. Grub-gfx for eyecandy, hey I need the arch icon everywhere big_smile
vim and gvim for programming(prolog and others) (Eclipse for java)
Networkmanager+nm-applet
+++++++++++

I ended up with gnome because of gnome-rdp, gnome-do and it felt better compaitble with my dell keyboard configuration.
Have also built an windows 2007 server placed on a GBIT connection so I can do things there if needed in an emergency (with photoshop, office indesign etc.. just in case)

Just one thought I have right now, I should have made notes on the wiki. As I sooo extremely relied on them, I could have given some feedback. Maybe I could make some time for it at in the christmas vacation, lets see.

Next todo: Learn ABS and AUR properly! And I need to make a system image or someting, need a backup of my system as it is now!!

cheers every1 big_smile

2 kooL 4 Sk00L

#761 2009-12-06 12:58:57

JohannesSM64
Website

tiddylicious wrote:

need a backup of my system as it is now!!

backup your /etc and $HOME directories and extract them when reinstalling, and all that's left is to install the same programs smile

#762 2009-12-06 13:09:58

tiddylicious

JohannesSM64 wrote:
tiddylicious wrote:

need a backup of my system as it is now!!

backup your /etc and $HOME directories and extract them when reinstalling, and all that's left is to install the same programs smile

Thank You! big_smile

2 kooL 4 Sk00L

#763 2009-12-06 13:37:45

sigmund

This is my Hello world forum message.

Playing with GNU/Linux since the early days.
I have been a first time Slackware enthusiast in the 90's (still remembering a 27 floppy disks installation from scratch), a Redhat and a Mandrake user.
Being an Ubuntu user since 6.06 up to Karmic (that is 9.10) included, I am now looking to gain deeper control on GNU/Linux.
I considered Fedora, OpenSuse and, last but not least, Arch.
Guess what? Arch *was* the choice: you all know why, of course.

Feeling comfortable with it since the first LiveCD boot, I immediately realized that this distro is and will be the good friend of mine I have always been looking for: neat, compact, quick, transparent, thourough and consistent.

Thank you to all those who have contributed making it as it is. Thank you very much.
I am not sure I will switch everything to Archlinux because Ubuntu is currently a must, but I think I will run it in parallel as I did previously with Windows: I have plans with Arch.

Thanks again to all!

Awsome and clarifying howtos!! Simply marvellous!

Last edited by sigmund (2009-12-06 13:43:59)

Definitely moving to GNU/Linux made me trust Computer Science once again.
Definitely moving to Arch made me enjoy and understand GNU/Linux once again.

#764 2009-12-08 07:18:28

Website

Hello all!!! just registered here and wanna say hi, im new to Arch but not new to linux, I TRIPLE boot my laptop with Arch/Ubuntu/vista.

I wanted to give arch a try because of the great reviews it has, I also installed the Kdemod from the chakra repos to work with Arch, they are amazing and GREATLY improved over the normal Kde ones. I only have one problem regarding the package management but I will open a thread to solve it big_smile

glad to be part of this community!!

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

#765 2009-12-08 07:40:07

dhdarka

Hello ^.^ I just findlay install Arch. Really happy to get some thing working. For the recoard. This took the longest to install the gui. But I keep hereing it easy to used. I just hope that it more stable then ubuntu. Parrying hard!! And I wanted to try xfce4. I here that arch is the best for xfce4. Other say ubuntu. But I hate using unstable Distribution. I hope everything trun out good.  ^.^

Last edited by dhdarka (2009-12-08 07:41:03)

#766 2009-12-09 07:50:23

searchengineplacement101
Website

hello guys.. i'm still a newbie when it comes to linux system coz most PC's i used were windows system. the only linux that i tried are redhat and ubuntu but i am not considered pro with it. I heard arclinux from my friend and i want to try this one.. hope i will get valueble infos here.. thanks

#767 2009-12-09 08:59:28

Gen2ly
Website

searchengineplacement101 wrote:

hello guys.. i'm still a newbie when it comes to linux system coz most PC's i used were windows system. the only linux that i tried are redhat and ubuntu but i am not considered pro with it. I heard arclinux from my friend and i want to try this one.. hope i will get valueble infos here.. thanks

Just to let you know beforehand, searchengineplacement101, your website and signature may not fit it with forums rules.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#768 2009-12-10 17:57:42

Cool G5
Website

Hello Forumers. Me Cool G5. You might have noticed me on other forums. I'm not new to the world of Linux but yes I'm definitely new to the world of Arch. I have used a number of linux distros but I felt the need of Arch when my outdated machine started showing up its age. I needed something which I could build up on my own & Arch Linux seem to fit the bill perfectly. Contrary to what some have commented, I haven't found Arch Linux difficult to install. It was a smooth journey & I got the base system installed in first go itself. Just that the internet is not working but I think it will be figured out soon with your help. Hoping for a warm welcome & happy stay here on Arch Linux. Also hoping of posting & helping out other users with whatever knowledge I have or get from here. smile

#769 2009-12-11 12:21:25

hume's doona

Hi smile

I am hume's doona, generally shortened to hume on other forums.

I began with linux on fedora core 6. After years of using macs, when it came time to upgrade i couldn't afford a new mac, so bought a cheap pc and rather than windows, i installed fedora core [afer playing with mandriva one live cd's etc]... it was good to me, but at the time i only had an iburst modem, which i never got working b/c i couldn't just download the driver and couldn't work source.

next, when i finally got my new macbook pro early last year [2008], i bought a copy of VMware fusion and virtualised OpenSuse and ultimate edition.

i took the next plunge by installing ubuntu as a dual boot with os x. ubuntu lead to crunchbang, which somehow lead to sabayon. my macbook pro currently dual boots sabayon and osX.

Just this week i have installed arch on my netbook [acer aspire one] as a triple boot with crunchbang, winblows [which i've booted into twice, i just need it there for the e-tax software] and arch.

the installation went along mostly really well, thanks to the wiki and old posts here on the forums. i made the minor error of starting with the vesa graphics driver, but soon woorked out i needed the intel. i've got a very light system so far, i did download compiz, mainly to see how much memory compiz + KDEmod would use... then turned it off.

KDEmod is nice, so is XFCE4 and openbox [i like a variety of WM and DE]

I'm getting used to pacman, i think i prefer equo and portage, but that's probably just b/c hat's what i'm used to... still beats apt!

anyways, i'll see you around the forums smile

#770 2009-12-12 11:02:31

Anton

Hello everyone! My name is Anton and I'm from Sweden. I work as a software engineer.

I have had some experience with linux through the years, mostly on servers to start with. After some time I decided I wanted some linux distro on my desktop computer, to learn more, especially about writing programs for linux. So I installed Ubuntu on my laptop, struggled quite a bit with the wireless network back then (lucky broadcom 4318 user). Now I felt that it was time to throw out Ubuntu 7.10 (which I couldn't upgrade) and install something really lightweight, because I wanted to learn more and because my laptop isn't the fastest.
So I installed Arch, and after spending a couple of hours every evening after work reading articles on the wiki, googling, setting things up, I now have my wireless network connection working great with wpa enabled. I use xfce4 as my desktop environment, and I'm very happy. This laptop has never been so fast I think, and I've learned things!
I just registered on this forum because I'm interested in learning more about the startup process and how it can be customized (scripting, configuring), and I can't find any articles on that on wiki, so I will go ahead and post my first thread soon!

#771 2009-12-12 17:39:57

Cool G5
Website

Welcome guys! smile
I think all seniors here are busy & nobody is here to welcome the newcomers.

#772 2009-12-15 10:41:51

MkFly

Hello Arch Linux community.  I'm a brand new Arch user, as of last week.  Here's my back-story:

I'm not new to Linux, I've been using it off-and-on since starting with Red Hat around 1997.  I've used Fedora as well, but mostly I've used Debian (in a VMware machine for development), as well as OpenWrt (which I simply love) on my Linksys WRT54GL.

I'll admit it, though -- my primary operating system had been Windows for well over a decade.  Most recently, I upgraded my laptop (my sole machine) to Windows 7 x64 (I didn't pay a dime for it, it was available through my university's MSDNAA program).  I kept seeing things that bugged me (about Windows in general), more and more.  Two weeks ago, I decided enough was enough, and left Windows for good.

Since I'm not about to buy anything from Apple, I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.10.  I tired of it pretty quick, so over the next few days, I downloaded and installed the latest releases of Debian, Fedora, openSUSE and Slackware.  None of them held my attention for very long.  I hadn't even ever heard of Arch Linux until I read about it last week in a Lifehacker article ("Five Best Linux Distributions") from earlier this year, in which Arch narrowly beat out openSUSE (by 15 votes) for 4th place.  But it was the description of Arch that caught my eye and led me to the wiki, where the more I read, the more I knew that Arch Linux was the distro for me.

So far, using Arch has been nothing but a pleasure.  It's just what I've always wanted Linux to be.  My only regret is that I'm just hearing about Arch now.  I'm ordering the printed handbook tonight, and I'll be doing my best to help contribute to the community in any way I can.

wink

Last edited by MkFly (2009-12-15 10:42:32)

#773 2009-12-15 13:30:20

jdarnold
Website

Hello! My name is Jonathan Arnold and I live in Medford MA, just outside of Boston. I've been writing code for almost 30 yrs now, even since I hacked down to the metal on the first 32bit machine, a Perkin Elmer 3220. Yikes, how time flies!

Anyway, I've been an "alternative" OS user for years, first with FreeBSD, then, for the past 2 or 3 years, OpenSUSE. Well, my 11.0 install was getting a bit long in the tooth and so I've been casting about for an upgrade. While I have no major complaints with OpenSUSE, and YAST is a wonderful admin tool, I was looking for something a little more sleek and new before settling in.

While Sidux was nice, its install and packaging were a little cumbersome. I really liked Zenwalk, but thought its packages were lacking. I think maybe it was really XFCE that drew my attention, and Linux Format #125 had a big article on "remixing" Linux, with Arch being one of the ways, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Only been a couple of days, but I'm enjoying it so far. I do like XFCE. I'm a KDE man on OpenSUSE, having never really understood the GNOME "paradigm", but KDE4 is borked for me, and XFCE is a nice compromise. Hoping to get it more customized over the next couple of weeks and report on my progress in my blog:

Daemon Dancing in the Dark

Hope to see you around soon!

- Jonathan

#774 2009-12-15 18:13:35

fabertawe

Hi everyone... I've been using Arch for a couple of weeks, dual booting with Ubuntu (which I'm hoping to migrate from eventually). XP's in my grub list but very rarely used.

I've been using Linux since 2006 (Ubuntu x86_64) and it's been a breath of fresh air after Windows (which I've never liked, just used out of necessity). I used the wonderful RISC OS before that but it was time to move on (it was a wrench to leave Pluto mail client though!). I loved the Ubuntu experience but the constant 6 month merry-go-round is irritating me now.

The good - pacman/yaourt, AUR, the wiki, having more control, the users and contributors.

I'm having some niggles at present but I'm definitely sticking with it, no doubt it'll smooth out. All in all, very enjoyable.

Ryzen 9 5950X, X570S Aorus Pro AX, RX 6600, Arch x86_64

#775 2009-12-15 22:55:45

jusko

It's been six months since I first installed Arch on my AA1 and I still struggle to suppress a shiver when I ponder the elegance of it all. To get cut and cured on the bleeding edge --and to always crave more! What a bloody awesome distro!

A mighty thanks to all whose efforts make this possible!

Hello Archlinux!

The keyboard is mightier than the pen.

Board footer