You are not logged in.

#7776 2024-04-29 11:13:00

longshot

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

ewaller wrote:
longshot wrote:

Hello does any one know, how to delete a question, or mark it close?

I do big_smile

If you would like to delete a thread, use the report link on the thread.  If there is no critical information on the thread, a moderator will delete it.  Same thing for close.
If a thread is solved (and it is your thread), edit the first post in the thread and that gives you the ability to edit the title.  Prepend "[SOLVED]" to the title to let those looking for help that a solution lies within.

Muchas Gracias!

~ A penguin geek who wants to know every file in sysfs

#7777 2024-04-30 03:21:52

ethyrdude

Hello everyone. finally made it. Only took three, no four install tries to make it. I'm not new to Linux, have been using Manjaro for over two years now plus a long time ago user of Debian, Mint, and I even had a paid for copy of Mandrake way back in time. I have tried Arch in the past but I just couldn't get my head around it, so this is a new visit because I wanted to do something new. I'm getting old and any excuse to keep the grey matter going is a good one.

#7778 2024-05-02 16:22:16

nmp

Hello folks.. smile
Thanks for maintaining this wonderful resource on the web.

Why Linux?
Over the years, have witnessed the slide of M!cro$hit operating systems - Was very happy with Windows XP and 7. Was forced to upgrade 
Hated W8, Despise W10. NO, I didn't even use W11 beyond initial  startups and some excel work that I had to do.

Which Linux at present?
Began with Suse Linux in 2005-06 through 2008. Then returned to Linux via CenTOS in 2013. Used it as a user - both SuSE & CenTOS, former in univ, latter at work. Was very happy till 2018 when I quit for starting my own venture. Was incensed with what IBM/Red Hat did to CentOS 8, and did not move to CentOS stream. Moved on to Rocky Linux for home use since I no longer needed to use Windows.

Why Arch?
TBH, I am not sure I like Rolling update distros. But, worse, I'm still unsure of the future of Rocky Linux, vis a vis RHEL. I am not sure when RHEL will throw its toys out of the pram and just refuse to share the things (I dont know how much and to what level Rocky shares/obtains from RHEL). I want to be with an independent distro.  The choice was between Arch, Gentoo, Slack and LFS. Again, Intel's Linux was another RHEL based OS that I considered, but again, corporate and stepmotherly towards AMD. LFS may be too much for me at the moment, not quite sure of Slackware's support and that it has moved to a Rolling model. All distros on my shortlist are  text based installers, so Between Gentoo's speed and Arch's support, it was an easy choice!
That and a sense of adventure!

The human mind once stretched by an idea, can never regain it's former shape.

#7779 2024-05-02 16:32:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

nmp wrote:

Slackware... has moved to a Rolling model.

Are you sure?  This was a surprise to me - and I just did some searching and can find no evidence of this.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7780 2024-05-03 08:20:32

nmp

Trilby wrote:
nmp wrote:

Slackware... has moved to a Rolling model.

Are you sure?  This was a surprise to me - and I just did some searching and can find no evidence of this.

Says so here in the current version release model. smile
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distr … =slackware
but I do agree there's a bit of confusion whether or not it is rolling.

OK, They do say that it's a fixed release kind of thing. https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:misc: … export_pdf

I guess the distrowatch page should be updated?

#7781 2024-05-03 11:55:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

nmp wrote:

I guess the distrowatch page server should be updated nuked from orbit, or at least ignored by any sane person

FTFY.

Slackware, as every single other fixed release distro to ever exist, has always had a "rolling" development branch which will eventually become a newer fixed release.  That does not make it a rolling release distro.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7782 2024-05-03 18:26:11

nmp

Trilby wrote:
nmp wrote:

I guess the distrowatch page server should be updated nuked from orbit, or at least ignored by any sane person

FTFY.

Slackware, as every single other fixed release distro to ever exist, has always had a "rolling" development branch which will eventually become a newer fixed release.  That does not make it a rolling release distro.

Thanks, Inspector Poirot.. There, I returned the favor.. wink

#7783 2024-05-10 19:12:50

leonardog

Hi everyone!

I'm rather new to linux. After installing other distros like Ubuntu and Debian and feeling I haven't participated enough in the installation process I opted for Arch, as it was recomended by a friend.

This was donde on a separate pc which is dedicated to experimentation, and also I've set it up as a media server, running plex, radarr, sonarr, and other arrs, and pihole, all this in docker containers.

I've installed qtile as a window manager running on X, but currently I only access this computer through ssh since my monitor is dedicated to my main pc.

Since I've enjoyed customizing qtile and would like to continue that experimentation, I'm trying to set up Xrdp so I can access from Windows on my main pc without having to deal with unplugging/plugging the monitor, but this proved not to be so straightforward with my knowledge.

Thtat's why I'm registering here, so I can ask for help in the newbie corner.

Anyway thanks for your work on having this resource online!

Cheers!

#7784 2024-05-12 19:13:23

Charmbreaker

Hello Arch community!

I'm not new to Linux given the fact that I've been using Ubuntu for a year and a half after becoming fed up with Microsoft's predatory nature. Enjoyed Ubuntu but wanted to begin using a Operating System that was a bit more challenging and involved. With the trope of Arch linux fitting that bill I decided to give it a try. Have been using Arch now for a week and can say I have been enjoying how it seems to provide the experience that I'm looking for and then some! Truly, I have never come across an OS that pretty much hands you the wiki and then yells "SURVIVE!" (lol). Seriously though I have been enjoying it and hope to learn a lot more despite the frustration and pain I run into sometime. Eventually that frustration turns into joy and a feeling of accomplishment.

Pleased to meet everyone and glad to be here!

#7785 2024-05-13 08:05:19

ShadowMaster

Hi all!! I'm new in linux world, i used to use ubuntu a few years ago, then back to windows couse gaming reasons, then back to ubuntu. i think im a grown man now and i need stability hahah, so i decided to move here, to Arch linux and using tiling windows (i love it) Hope i can learns here.

Hi again, see you soon!

#7786 2024-05-14 01:59:48

ashishsinghbora

Hlo there I tried a lot linux distro and after some time I started to feel like home in arch linux with i3 wm
Now I'm just using them.
I want to say many things but don't know how should I put.
anyway I think I will get a lot more chances after this, I think is a lot for the first comment by me.

#7787 2024-05-14 06:53:54

wetto

hello everyone, i hope all is well on everyone's end.

i would like to introduce myself, i go by wetto and recently i have taken on a couple of comptia certificates for my own information and also for my career path.
i chose arch as my main OS as i thought it'd be a fun little project to go and try and download an OS i am not familiar with. the install went as expected, ran into
a roadblock here and there but with determination, and some coffee, i finally installed arch!

this is only the start to my journey, i wish all good luck with their future endeavors.

Godspeed!

Godspeed!

cool

#7788 2024-05-14 18:39:41

dprack

Hello Archie's

Years wrestling with MS W. Just knew about linux a few weeks ago and was intrigued by the simplicity Arch on offer. It was really late, but I was happy to have this experience. And of course, do-it-yourself

#7789 2024-05-14 22:32:49

cfultz

Hi everyone. I'm a Linux Sys Admin for the NRAO based in Charlottesville, Virginia that mostly deals with RHEL based distros. I've been running Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu for almost 15 years as my daily distros but decided I wanted to make the move to something different. Got Arch up and running yesterday on my laptop that I use for work within our data center and am in the process of configuring it to get it where I want it. So far so good.

I'll try to help out where I can once I get more familiar with the lay of the land here in the community!

#7790 2024-05-15 11:04:55

knghtbrd

Hi, I'm Joseph!

I already posted elsewhere asking about something that doesn't exist yet, but I mentioned that I'm legally blind. I'm also not exactly new to Linux. I got my start with Linux in 1997, coming from OS/2 because IBM did IBM things as usual. (The more things change…)

Anyway, back then the meme was "I use Slackware BTW", but I got Slack on 3rd party CD, and the CD image was broken. Also I didn't know half what I thought I did, so … wasted

Red Hat … that's the other Linux anyone who didn't use Linux had heard of. Except XFree86 required pretty manual configuration back then unless your system was auto-detected by the RH 4.0 (not RHEL) installer. And mine wasn't, so the install stopped there. wasted

Someone from #linpeople asked me if I was ready to accept Debian as my OS and sa—if I wanted to try Debian. He said he'd answer questions and I didn't need to install X to get started like RH. Got Debian media and … broke my system, twice, within the first 12 hours. Figured it out (I had someone kind enough to walk me through the upgrade from a libc5 system to libc6), wrote it down, contributed that to the mailing list, and I never looked back at OS/2 again because I was convinced the platform no longer had a real future. And for me it didn't. Still, I knew next to nothing back then, except that Linux mattered and I didn't want any part of what Microsoft was selling.

That was a long time ago—27 years now, the Internet skweeeewrrrrrSHSHSHSHHSH back then. Maybe I know a little more today. I'm here because I still don't want any part of what Microsoft and others like them are selling (me, if I'd let them!), and I've got some bare metal I don't have an OS on.

No stranger to running close to the bleeding edge, but I haven't run Arch in … um, you didn't have an installer back then. And I think my system used CSM back then, or even good ol' AwardBIOS. It's been a minute. I'm n00b enough to know that there's a lot I don't know when it comes to Arch—except to pacman -Syu first because partial upgrades aren't supported. ?

I'll try not to ask too many stupid questions.

Them: You will own nothing and be happy.
Me: How about … no.

#7791 2024-05-15 20:21:56

Acciofyre

hello, just started with arch...lesgo

#7792 2024-05-15 23:10:05

user7z

hello , area7z was here !

Board footer