You are not logged in.

#7826 2024-06-16 12:38:33

Sermor

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi everyone, I've been in the Linux world for some time, and after various distro hopping I finally arrived at Arch (and its derivative, which is EndeavourOS).

I'm not an expert, I'm still a novice, but I hope I can learn to use Linux and Arch in the best way, thanks also to your experience.

See you around the forum. Greetings!

When a mind does not know itself, it is flawed. When a mind is flawed, the man is flawed. When a man is flawed, that which he touches is flawed. It is said that what a flawed man sees, his hands make broken. (Dak'kon - Planescape: Torment)

#7827 2024-06-16 15:51:46

Plank

Hello everyone!
I'm incredibly happy to join Arch community!

Been hopping non-stop between multiple distros and all of them felt off.
It's time to sink some time and make something that would suit me.

I must say thank you for incredible documentation!
Used Arch for like a month, but already learned a lot more than I would have ever learned while using other distros...
Absolute rabbit hole, and I love it.

#7828 2024-06-17 15:33:49

syscrusher

Hello, Arch community! I received my new Dell mobile workstation on Friday (with an Ubuntu preload) and have just installed Arch for the first time, over the weekend. As a post shortly before mine says, it's a deep rabbit hole of learning, but that's a feature, not a problem.

I administered DEC ULTRIX, HPUX, and a tiny bit of IBM AIX in the late 1990s. From about 1997 to the early 2000s I ran Linux as my native boot with xfce desktop, but then I had to switch to commercial workstation o.s. because of customer requirements. For 20 years almost 100% of my Linux work has been on headless servers in data centers. My knowledge of the Linux desktop environment and the API stacks below is woefully out of date. I'm thrilled to be back on my o.s. of choice, but the learning curve is daunting.

My go-to distro for personal devices and VPS has been Debian or Ubuntu (with xfce4 if GUI), but I switched to Mint and Cinnamon just before upgrading my hardware. That's a great combination and was very easy to install and configure, but my 3D development tools were not happy with the age of the GPU driver and some of the system libraries. When my new laptop arrived, I decided to use the "greenfield" installation process to experiment with Arch because of the newer package versions available directly in the pacman repos and because of the rolling upgrades.

To be honest, the daunting learning curve was also part of the reason I chose Arch this time. I've used Linux on Intel-compatibles and on IBM mainframes for over 20 years. It's time to push myself to the next level of knowledge and skill. Instead of a friendly installer that asks me where I want to put the system then does it all, Arch made me learn the Linux installation process much deeper. Tasks such as setting up LUKS disk encryption under LVM2 and configuring firewall rules are intuititive to me because of my server experience, yet I struggle with things like sound drivers that are probably easy for others. Everyone walks a different path, and nobody is an expert in everything.

Finally, I want to close by commending the Arch community for the documentation on forums and the Wiki. Those writing the Wiki and answering questions on the forums demonstrate a keen understanding of Linux in general and (of course) Arch Linux in particular, and I've been able to find answers to nearly all of my questions in those two places. Thanks to all who contributed and continue to contribute to the pool of knowledge.

#7829 2024-06-18 14:04:12

grafi

Hello  People

Im long time linux user. Yet im no linux guru, just a user. I earned my stripes on slackware and debian in the times when debian was not so nice as it is today and slackware being slackware without sackbuilds and all that nice stuff it have today.
I have one question hopefully one of the last.
Is it possible to read arch wiki during an installation using lynks , links2 or something.

Or is it possible to use for example debian live iso with some firefox and arch-install-scripts installed to use some arch tarbal dowlanded by wget or curl as a bootstrap base then setting the system via arch-chrot??

I searched that info against few keywords on wiki and there is non or im just an idiot who do not know what to type in search box.

Thx

#7830 2024-06-18 15:11:37

ewaller
Administrator

I am not sure if links2 is on the installation iso anymore, but one certainly can use links2 to browse the wiki.
If it is not installed, you could install it shortly after doing your arch-chroot and can use it inside your burgeoning new system while in the chroot.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7831 2024-06-18 15:28:37

grafi

ewaller thank you
And apprently im an idiot smile

Arch can be bootstrapped from other other live cd.
If I found this earlier i woldn't ask that
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Instal … ting_Linux
3.2.1 Method A: Using the bootstrap tarball (recommended)

Sorry for bother you people and take care

No more off topic from me

EOT

#7832 2024-06-18 16:35:31

ewaller
Administrator

grafi wrote:

And apprently im an idiot smile

Bah!  Gathering the information for an install is kind of like drinking from a fire hose.  I did an install on a vintage Macbook Air yesterday -- I had the luxury of separate working Arch box sitting next to me at the same desk.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7833 2024-06-18 18:34:36

shyll

basically hello arch linux

ive used a lot of linux distros before and distro hopping was the way i used linux

but i guess arch is the perfect one for me after using it for a month already and not even thinking to switch to other one

// shyllis

#7834 2024-06-22 22:32:59

ingenarel

this is my first time using linux and i'm loving it.

#7835 2024-06-24 03:43:22

Julia123
Banned

I'm new to Arch Linux and trying to install it for the first time. I've heard great things about its flexibility and how it helps in learning more about Linux, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the process.

#7836 2024-06-24 04:56:13

CometStorm991

Hello
I've been using Arch Linux for almost 7 months now (212 days to be exact) and Linux in general for more than a year (378 days).
I feel pretty comfortable daily-driving Arch, but I want to dig deeper into Arch and Linux in general and learn more about the system internals.
I hope that I can one day contribute code to Arch Linux. I think I have a working knowledge of bash, C, and C++, and I would love to use my skills to help give back to Arch.

#7837 2024-06-24 13:47:57

brakayedmore

Hello everyone,

It's been a few days I'm trying to install Arch Linux, I'm not familiar with Linux at all (so you all must understand the struggle haha)
I managed to install it a few times, I'm almost getting comfortable with the process, but I'm currently facing the screen flickering issue, that doesn't allow me to login (I can log in, but if I try to open the Settings, or the Console) I get sent back to the login screen.
I'm not giving up, but I'll keep trying!!

#7838 Today 05:55:24

starship

Hi all,

I've been a Linux user on and off for many years now but first time Arch user! I've been using Arch for ~7 months now and it's been fun! (even through all the ups and downs tongue). I dumped my Mac and my T480 running Arch is now my daily driver. Anyway, looking forward to contributing to the community.

Board footer