You are not logged in.

#7876 2024-08-12 12:35:27

git000

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello guys!

My Name is Pawel, i live in Poland, and it is my time to say 'Hello' to yall arch madmans.
I installed arch month ago, so i am new to arch but I've been using other distros for some time previously. Decided to daily drive arch because Windows is kinda screwing over their users.
I need to know how systems work so arch seems like perfect distro to get know linux and have some fun on it while having a lil bit expirience with linux before.
I had used Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Pop OS Mint, Debian and Kali for some time, didnt daily drive them though. Also i set up ubuntu server and had fun with docker and page hosting on it. I am working on CentOS as Software developer (mainly bash and python but i like to learn new things)
Out of the box experience of arch is amazing, getting through DisplayLink on Nvidia however hurts a lot.
I may post something about it if i run out of resources to fix it, but for now i will dive back into Arch Wiki depths to get problem solved.

Hoping for the best,
git000.

#7877 2024-08-12 18:14:09

ImNamo

I just recently switched from Debian bookworm
I already know Sid exists, but I honestly wanted to try something new, I never expected it to be enjoyable to learn to troubleshoot
Hear me out, I'm not new to the Linux community, been using Mint about 2 years ago on a crappy HP laptop that had some issues with Cinnamon, Also, I'm still using Windows on another hard drive because some games don't work here correctly roll
I'm still consulting some pages from the Wiki, I Already learned things here even before installing Arch manually like dual-booting or changing my fan speed (Currently using an ASUS laptop) cool
But anyway, every mistake I make makes me a little bit smart when using these types of OS, so... I'm glad I learned something smile
See you around!
Edit: had to edit a little bit of this text, lmao

Last edited by ImNamo (2024-08-22 03:07:21)

#7878 2024-08-15 03:59:35

phanm

Hello!

My name's Long from Vietnam. I just got Arch installed as dual-boot on my laptop (main machine) and a very old PC (side machine). Though I'm mostly on Arch now smile

I installed Arch because I felt like trying Linux. Contrary to my expectations, Arch's install manual is surprisingly clear and simple to understand. Kudos to all who wrote these articles haha. Though I had some hoops to jump over as a dual booter, everything turns out quite smoothly. After using Arch for just a few hours, I immediately love it (I'm still investigating why, so I'll have to use Arch more to know smile ). As a CS student, my natural habitat is already in the console so it doesn't take me a long time to familiarise myself with the new shell (well, mostly the bins. I still use PowerShell). Games even works better over here (as long as it can run in the first place, of course. Though all my games do, fortunately)

My journey with Arch so far has been quite exciting. A kernel panic, 2 times losing GRUB from BIOS boot (which I'm still trying to fix) and some minor hassles with feature doesn't work because it rely on an optional dependency that it doesn't tell which until I search for it specifically. I had learned so much setting up Arch, from a few commands on the VT (which is so useful for rescuing) to other stuff filesystems and mounts and config files (this is the weirdest and hardest stuff so far because (R)TFM is usually the only answer barring an internet search)

I can now say I'm an Arch user wink

Best wishes,
Long \^/ <- this is intended to be a cyclopes

#7879 2024-08-18 14:50:12

fish4terrisa-MSDSM

Hello, guys :-) This fish4terrisa from....somewhere undescribable....
I've used Arch Linux for about 4 years, on my 2 VPS and the 2 ASUS laptops...
Yes, after four years that I finally found this hello post.
Arch Linux has run so fluently on my poor old asus laptop that I even don't need to find a place to solve my problems with Arch(although the uefi is always broken....but also with windows, so it's the laptop's fault)
The rolling upgrade method taken by Arch really attracted me, and after dealing with the slow performance of ubuntu for weeks without finding out the solution, Arch Linux's aimple design and high performance really got my heart.
After tried various distros, like Alpine, ubuntu, debian, opensuse, centos, clear linux, void, tiny core linux, and even minix, netbsd, FreeBSD and debian hurd(most of them are tested in qemu ), arch seems to be the best choice for me, for its simple design and full featured cli environment.
Now Arch runs very well on my new asus tuf gaming a16, and after fixed the cstate problems, it's very stable now, and make full use of all the resources it get.
Really looking forward for the future of Arch :-)
Best wishes for everyone smile

#7880 2024-08-22 17:22:16

ArchiShadow

Hi everyone!
ArchiShadow here from somewhere on Earth....
This will be very short, so....
I started using Arch a few weeks ago, and I found it a bit hard installing it, starting in a VM and eventually it became simpler as I tested myself to dual boot. I'm very happy to be here, and I'm planning to learn more about Arch (hopefully it will be smooth)!

#7881 2024-08-22 21:05:14

ImNamo

ArchiShadow wrote:

Hi everyone!
ArchiShadow here from somewhere on Earth....
This will be very short, so....
I started using Arch a few weeks ago, and I found it a bit hard installing it, starting in a VM and eventually it became simpler as I tested myself to dual boot. I'm very happy to be here, and I'm planning to learn more about Arch (hopefully it will be smooth)!

I also started to use Arch like that! Using a VM first and then as a dual boot lol

#7882 2024-08-23 01:28:53

empada

Hello!

#7883 2024-08-25 22:36:30

hasnatrasool163

Hello everyone!

I'm excited to join the Arch Linux community and start my journey here. I've heard so much about Arch, and I'm eager to learn and explore all it has to offer. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions, but I'm also looking forward to getting to know everyone and making some new friends along the way. Thanks for welcoming me in advance!

Cheers! ?

#7884 2024-08-26 01:15:29

Brahma

Hi Guys, I am Brahma.

I just wanted to make my first post. I'm probably similar to you; just a nerd on the internet looking to fix,break,tweak e.g.

okay bye

thanks

-Brahma

#7885 2024-08-26 05:14:45

espresso

Hello and welcome, Brahma.
Thank you; community "level up" for fixing/breaking/tweaking!

#7886 2024-08-26 07:34:06

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: Merging into "The Official Hello Everyone Thread".

?לאן אתה רוצה ללכת היום

#7887 2024-08-26 13:23:24

calyx

hi all,

new user from the americas. first post. looking forward to asking some newbie questions, and hopefully getting some assistance. i used to be on manjaro (liked it), then i tried out nixos (did not like it), before i made the transition to arch (love it). still, i look at myself as a linux newbie. so, i need some help now and then. and yeah, my shift key and caps-lock seems to be damaged (but is it really?).

all the best to the arch community.

over and out.

Last edited by calyx (2024-08-26 13:30:12)

calyx — outer covering of a flower

#7888 2024-09-01 23:50:03

Pythonify

arch

#7889 2024-09-03 02:14:33

ImNamo

Wise choice of words

#7890 2024-09-04 16:23:43

11-Inch-Subpoena

Hello, everyone.

I began my journey with Arch (btw) a few weeks ago, on a really crappy Intel Cherryview Atom-powered HP detachable notebook. I liked it so much that I installed it on a slightly less crappy Haswell Core i3 HP detachable, a 2012 Core i7 Mac Mini, and a 2015 Core i5 MacBook Air. I think that my distro hopping is over.

The wiki is the best resource I've ever seen. I've encountered my fair share of issues, most being just annoying. The wiki has been invaluable in getting helping me solve those issues. Even if I can't currently implement the solution provided for whatever reason, the wiki gives me enough knowledge to MacGyver a temporary solution while I work on a permanent fix.

I never thought that I would have so much fun fixing issues and learning how to do things like write scripts.

#7891 2024-09-05 14:24:27

Carmeline

Hallo :'D

#7892 2024-09-06 13:18:30

D12w

Hello everyone, I have a specific question and I don't know where to look for an answer. I have 2 keyboard layouts, Canadian and Ukrainian, how to make it so that after 30 seconds of not using the keyboard, it switches to the Canadian layout? I am a beginner, if possible, please tell me in more detail how to do it.

#7893 2024-09-06 21:08:42

fierycloud

Hello, just started this week with arch after a failed ubuntu 22.04 -> 24.04 upgrade and I've been loving it. Keep up the good work

#7894 2024-09-07 02:18:28

polar

Hello Arch users!
Been in the linux desktop game for a long time (2006!), and finally decided to try out Arch for a while.  Not going to lie, it was the Wiki FAQ section 1.3 that made me say... well damn.  Let's give it a go!  Honestly had a great morning installing manually and I don't think I've used fdisk that much in years!  This is also the first time I am running KDE as my DE so lots of excitement around these parts.  There are A LOT of KDE apps!  I had to manually uninstall the lot of games as I couldn't take it! I look forward to mostly reading and trudging through the forums to resolve any issues that I may run into, but if I find anything interesting I'll be sure to post.  Have fun everyone, and stay frosty.

#7895 2024-09-07 12:30:47

5a7965

Hi! I have been an Arch Linux user for 2 months. I switched to arch after 11 days of me knowing Linux. Now here I am draining my time doing atleast 5+ Arch Installs per month.

In life, it's okay to "sudo rm -rf /* --no-preserve-root".

#7896 2024-09-08 17:09:26

P2erut

Hello world

#7897 2024-09-09 15:42:54

BinaryNomad

Hi Everyone

I'm new to Arch but not Linux, my Linux history is quite long but over the years I have  mainly used Slackware, Red hat, Fedora and now Arch.

The two main reason's I have switched to Arch is that I feel that distro's like Fedora and Ubuntu are becoming way to bloated and Arch maybe take a little more effort to setup and install but you are guaranteed to have what you want on your system and not a bunch of apps you will never use and are just taking up space.

The other reason is the rolling release model so far seems easier to keep up with than the way the other distro's seem to operate and I do really like this way of doing things so far.

But a bonus for me was Arch's performance on my laptop, seems so much quicker as well, and so far the very small no of issues I have encountered have been solved with Google or the Arch Linux website.

So hello to all you Arch Linux users out there and i'm hoping to make some new friends who also use Arch.

#7898 2024-09-10 18:02:48

JoseArch

Hello to everyone.

Despite my story with linux starts almost 20 yerars ago, ive been more like occasional and soft user, always with distros like ubuntu, and always switching back to windows eventually.
No more, i've decided i have to deeply learn Linux, and enjoy  the control and personalization of Arch.

Thats why  I'm here, and why I'm so happy.

#7899 2024-09-11 02:12:09

hexagon8633

Just finished my first Arch install "the arch way" (ie not using archinstall). Thought I'd drop in and say hello.

#7900 2024-09-11 15:18:00

redtilky

Hi people, glad I joined yall

"Eheheheheheheheheh big_smile" - a wise quote by redtilky

Board footer