You are not logged in.

#776 2009-12-16 07:02:10

shawnisalk

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello, everybody.

I'm just playing with Arch for the first time...trying to get it installed on an IBM Thinkpad i 1400. (I'm supposed to be studying for a final exam...)

I am genuinely thrilled at the idea behind Arch, and at the prospect of building this installation manually. I feel my brain soaking up Linux fundamentals every time I look at the screen.

I'm looking forward the learning process ahead of me and possibly getting to know some of y'all.

Until I run into you in a thread...

Shawn

#777 2009-12-16 07:09:12

Firepower

Hi all, I am a very young student who is using linux. I first started with Arch on a portable hard drive for school, but switched to use Ubuntu mainly till I grew bored with the easiness and relative inflexibility, and came back to Arch just recently with a full dual boot on my laptop.

Archers take their arrows in the knee.

#778 2009-12-16 15:52:10

jonnor

I'm not exactly new to Arch, but anyways: hello Archlinux forum users!

EDIT: typo

Last edited by jonnor (2009-12-16 15:53:51)

#779 2009-12-16 23:12:42

Fruity

Hello Arch world big_smile

#780 2009-12-17 02:05:54

Michael C.

Hello, Arch Linux forums!

I've just stuck Arch on my laptop after using CentOS, Fedora and Debian for about two and a half years on various systems. It's great, so far: pacman is great, I like how it's put together (hurray for rc.conf vs. rc.d/rc[0-6].d!), and I'm having fun assembling it.

I'm very much looking forward to finding my way around in the coming months!

#781 2009-12-17 03:44:12

agomezh

I'm new in two ways, never posted in a forum before and new to arch. I've used Ubuntu for a year now, but I like to learn, so I decided to use Arch because a friend recommended it and has better chances to teach me how to use linux.
Anyways, I hope to be able to help the community here and learn in the process! smile. The community looks very good!!!

I'm a Gnome user, also waiting to learn more about Arch and then use something like Fluxbox... not decided yet! smile.

Thank you! to all the people before that helped build this.

#782 2009-12-17 05:31:42

fantasio

Hi everybody,

I'm Thomas from Germany (near Frankfurt/M.), using Arch for a couple of days now.     Moved to Ubuntu (still having a parallel installation)  from my now Redmond-free-PC 3 months ago.
Nearly threw Arch away being not able to install wireless lan properly (using WPA2). Sticking to chakra (ok, surely not the Arch Way, but what could I do), which has the cutest (best-designed) installation I've ever seen.
Unfortunately that only came with KDE, and I'm still trying to get Gnome to work (WiFi again ...).

However, I do like Arch very well esp. rolling release; I love the "Arch Way"-concept, good documentation, living forums, and I think, I might stick to Arch for a longer time.

Thanks to all working on this, making it possible for users like me to profit (that's not ment economically) from your efforts. Thank you!

Regards,

Thomas

Last edited by fantasio (2009-12-17 05:33:10)

#783 2009-12-19 14:29:20

spinnaker

Hi all GNU\Linux users!

I am from Italy...I have used Gentoo GNU\Linux since from it's first release and now I am moved to Arch.
I have just finished my first arch setup...a good way to have fun this afternoon : -)

Be an IT superhero. Go home early. Registered Linux user # 381558.
"Questo business è binario: o sei 1 o sei 0. O sei vivo o sei morto. Non esistono secondi classificati." Gary Winston - SYNAPSE

#784 2009-12-19 17:19:16

Jabb3r

Hi all. I've been dabbling in linux on and off for a few yrs now. Most recently I've been using Ubuntu 9.10 but I read a reccomended distro's to try blog or somethin like that and Arch popped up and the idea of not having a bloated system is always a draw. Well yesterday my xp machine started playing up, crunching it's nadgers and just giving me alot of stress. It BSOD'd on me and I took a deep breath and turned it off.

So thats it for me. Windows is no more now, it aint the first time I've had probs, but I'd just had enough so I thought I'd throw on Arch so I grabbed it last night, followed an initial setup guide for beginners on your wiki and here I am. smile

Great job whoever helped write that btw, much appreciated.

I've 1 main aim in arch and thats to get the latest client of Eve Online (Dominion 1.0.3 prolly be higher soon) to run and be playable. Thats all I want, I got gnome installed, I got sound working, I can listen to my mp3's, browse the web, watch a film etc, but no matter what I do, Eve will not run. I play it daily usually and it's the main thing I use my system for, please if anyone knows of a recent guide I can follow or knows what I need to get it goin then holla.

I've got a couple of strange probs like gnome terminal stopped openin all on it's own. but gonna see how that is after I restart and the spore creature creator demo locks system up completely, but prolly some driver issue I'll get around to sorting too, but Eve, it's all I want, hehe

Apart from that, loving arch, it feels like computing should imo, keeps the ol grey matter goin and it suits. smile

Sure I'll be throwing in a question or 2 around the boards soon enough, but until then have a good one and remember Eve Online, if yu know wink

Cheers
Jabb3r

#785 2009-12-20 13:12:23

lroute

Hello everyone!
It is my 3rd day since i installed Arch...(It's not a long time, right?..)
I want to get a start to learn gcc with Arch.Ubuntu is too fat now and making me lazy ...
Ubuntu -> Red Hat -> suseLinux -> Centos -> Arch
On the way~

#786 2009-12-21 16:33:42

disturb

Hey I'm julien, from France, already posted a couple of times here, but thought I'd chime in anyway.
Haven't done a metal install of arch yet, carefully planning it though smile
On my way to the linux way so to speak, after a short acquaintance through ubuntu.
This looks like a great community, and I'm looking forward to taking part, so cheers everyone !

#787 2009-12-23 10:25:53

1976dan

Hi guys ,

New linux user and love the Archlinux

#788 2009-12-23 15:22:33

Dave0

Hello people (most likely). I am just making the jump from mac os x to linux and have chosen arch because it is so configureable. As is typical of myself, I have bitten off more than I can chew. I am trying to triple-boot my MacBook4,1, and am trying to decide-on/figure-out the best partition set-up. I thoroughly dislike Windoze, and hate that I have it on my sweet laptop (which I have upgraded the ram to 4G, and the hdd to 500G 7200rpm!) but it is required for a program to take exams on for school.

So I bootcamped that onto /dev/sda4, and os x uses /dev/sda1 & 2 – not ready (emotionally:P) to discard it yet – which leaves me the choice of booting arch from a single partition, sda3, or cloning sda onto an external drive w/o GUID so I can make a logical/with extended partition/s, then clone it back onto the laptop. Because I have already spent much time setting this up so far, I am leaning towards the faster, less safe way. cuz that's how i roll.

Does anyone know of a different way to solve this dilemma?

Cheers, and happy to be a new(b) arch user!

everyone eats lunch, but not everyone is a lunch innovation genius . . . www.rickyslunch.com

#789 2009-12-23 18:03:05

CrashHarddrive
Website

Greetings to all fellow Arch users.

I've just recently come upon Arch, and I have to say I'm very happy with it. I've been using Linux off and on since the Red Hat 5 days, and exclusively for the last 5 years, so I probably don't qualify as a complete Linux noob, but Arch is still pretty new to me. I stuck with Ubuntu from Edgy Eft until the recent Karmic release, but it's going in a direction I no longer care to follow, so I'm very glad I tried Arch. I converted all my systems to Arch, and I'm impressed with how easy the process was. I'm running Arch on:
A System76 Gazelle laptop
A workstation
a MythTV media center
A web/print/file server
& a headless FTP server
Arch is the only distro I've tried that seems to work equally well for any purpose, from web server to full-on media center, without needing ugly hacks and workarounds.

Crash Harddrive

Windows is not the answer.
Windows is the question.
Linux is the answer.

#790 2009-12-23 23:31:24

caseyjp1
Website

Just a hi from me as well.  Long time linux user.  Unlike some of the posters, I'm not a 'buntu hater, far from it, my main machine is a karmic box and am very happy with it.  BUT, its no good on my old laptop, and after some research, decided to take the Arch plunge, and I have to say that for the work involved in building a system basically ground up, I'm very VERY impressed.  The laptop build is a screamer, and I'm a happy camper.

I will say that although pacman is fast, I still prefer the 'tab-ability' of apt-get / aptitude for convenience when searching for packages.  Just my 2 cents, and a again hiya to the community!
smile

#791 2009-12-24 00:54:54

Ultraman

Here to say hi (duh).

My first steps in Linux were made with Mandrake, followed by Slackware and a few days of Debian. All of which on secondary PCs, just to mess around. That was with the ol 2.4 kernels. And I got a hint of 2.2 as well in a distro specialized for older PCs.
So that is a pretty long time ago in computing terms.
Followed by about a 2 year gap of not touching Linux at all tongue

I eventually decided to pick it up again: the first real use of Linux was with Gentoo. Which was in march 2006, I still have screenshots of that memorable event, here's a link (Dutch IT forum - Non-Windows OS part). Showing off my first real go on Gentoo. That use of Linux was dropped after the summer of 2006, I probably got fed up with it because of some error, I can't remember. I started using Gentoo again on my newly-constructed-from-spare-parts home server after that, somewhere around the end of 2006 ~ beginning 2007.

I discovered Arch Linux in the summer of 2007 (Duke release) and tried it. Ran great with Xfce for a while. Judging by my lack of posts after that summer, I think I dropped it on my main rig after that. I probably had some gaming to do, so Windows got back in. I installed Arch Linux on my laptop after that, and that thing hasn't run anything else since. It's an old laptop, I only used for basic schoolwork and some browsing and watching videos in bed. Tried out more Xfce, some Fluxbox, Gnome (too heavy for that ol box) and a heap of lightweight apps. Also discovered I like Openbox ( <3 ) a lot and also gave Awesome (fun stuff!) a go.
Replaced Gentoo Linux with Arch Linux on my server in May 2009, and still running that like a charm.

Recently I upgraded my main rig to Core i7 860 with Windows 7. Great! Until a harddrive broke, and Win7 is also being a bitch to install. (HD4850 drivers builtin that look for analog VGA out :X who the flip designed that? my card doesnt have vga anymore, so my screen blanks and I cant continue the install unless I replace my card with something else)
So I thought, what if...
I knew the HD4850 support wasn't that well, but R700 KMS should be coming in 2.6.32 (yes, I did keep reading Linux news). Installed Arch on my main rig and have been running it now for little more than a day. Enjoying it, but still setting up.
No Xv or 3D acceleration yet, hoping 2.6.32 will enable drm module to load and will in turn get the radeon driver to cheer up so I can enjoy the benefits of Xv.

Really thinking of dumping Windows for the main use, and using it only for gaming. Time will tell, but so far so good.
Thanks for having me smile

[Edit]Got Xv rendering by disabling KMS tries by the kernel. But OpenGL is still very b0rked.

Last edited by Ultraman (2009-12-24 01:32:29)

#792 2009-12-26 12:35:08

commander_keen

hi.

#793 2009-12-27 10:49:59

skyfire

Using Archlinux on VMware as of now,going to take it on HD soon.  smile

#794 2009-12-27 13:56:22

bhadotia

HII!  tongue

#795 2009-12-28 04:50:02

hitest

I've been using Linux for a little over 7 years now...mostly Slackware, Debian and FreeBSD.  I am very pleased to be here.  I'm enjoying Arch Linux a lot.  I've been using Arch for a little while now. smile

hitest
Arch, Slackware
Registered Linux User #284243

#796 2009-12-28 16:38:43

Woofie

Hi i've been using Linux for 2 years.. start with *buntu, Fedora and now i finaly meet Arch. I think about it several times but i was a little scared smile now i try it and i'm very satisfied.. Arch is great distro.

Sorry for my english. It's not my native language..

#797 2009-12-28 17:51:37

eothred

Hi everyone!

Been using Kubuntu for a few years now, but recently I've been more and more annoyed by the lack of love given to this KDE by Canonical. Heard about Chakra and KDEmod and when Kubuntu completely failed on me I got tired of it and decided to give Chakra a go instead. It took me about one day before I fell in love with your distribution. KDEmod is really rock solid compared to other builds I've tried, and your package manager rocks! I also love how simple it is to submit packages to AUR. I do not think I will leave the Arch community for quite some time to come. I think your KISS concept actually makes sense! smile

#798 2009-12-28 19:13:34

ontweld

Hello everyone!

Nothing you haven't heard in this thread before. smile I've been using linux for almost 2 years now and tried several distros before i settled on arch about 6 months ago. It is fast, simple, lightweight and has a great package manager. I like to play with my system configuration and i like to try out different software. With Archlinux there is just no problem with that. Oh, and the Wiki is great.

#799 2009-12-29 03:09:01

Nicolai

Hi everyone,

This thread was a nice idea, I have enjoyed reading the reasons that people are here.  I am a software developer working primarily in embedded software. I started using linux in 1994 with slackware.  For me an OS is a very big decision. It is like building a new house, you have to figure out what you want in it, because in the end you have to live in it. When it comes to an operating system you can invest a lot of time in getting it setup so it is just right for your use. Archlinux looks like a great OS because of it's ability to select each package that you want and nothing extra. Ubuntu like OS's are great to introduce new users to linux but are really quite bloated when it comes to configuring a clean, lean and mean machine.

I especially would like to thank all of those that have made Arch possible. It is a serious amount of work to make a system like this. This also goes to those working on the Archlinux documentation. When checking out different distros one of the things I was really impressed with on Arch was the high quality documentation and walk throughs. So much of the linux documentation on the net is either to terse or too simple. Those who have worked on the Arch documentation have got it just right by making it perfect for existing Linux users.

Nicolai

#800 2009-12-29 07:16:04

jaycee4

Hi!  I'm new to Linux in general, but have been studying (if you can call it that!) FOSS for a few months now out of personal interest.  I've been distro-hopping with LiveCDs during that time, having used Mint 7 Xfce, SAM, Elive 1.9.47, CentOS 5.4, Mandriva 2010, openSUSE 11.2, Fedora 12 and Mint 8 (GNOME).  During that time I haven't so much as opened a terminal, but I have developed a rather superficial understanding of FOSS and Linux distros.  As much as I love Mandriva 2010 (fav so far), I find the Arch Way is closest to my eventual aspirations of what I want from Linux.  Of course there's no LiveCD, but I intend to experiment in a few months time on a laptop I'm allowed to install on (i.e. I'll have my own!  lol).
Anyway, a big thanks to the Arch team for all the work they put into this distro!  Congratulations!

Board footer