You are not logged in.

#801 2009-12-30 00:40:42

Silence

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi,
I'm 10 year in Linux and from 95 in UNIX (for my job) wink I'll try to be added  value for commuity

Eloquent silence

#802 2010-01-03 02:30:44

davidm

Hello everyone.  I've used Linux off and on since I was about 16 years old (first distro was slackware).  That was about 15 years ago.  I've used Gentoo for a short while also but mostly Ubuntu for my Desktop OS.  I have had a few servers which I have leased which have used either Fedora or CentOS as well.  I've just installed Arch yesterday for the first time.  I'm quite impressed thus far with it and am doing my best to learn.  Please excuse me if I ask a stupid question here or there. smile

#803 2010-01-03 05:39:37

JuseBox

Hello All!

Linux ArchLinux 3.2.8-1-ARCH
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 27 21:51:46 CET 2012 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
8192MB DDR3 1300MHz | Asus m5a97 | GeForce GTX 550 Ti | 120 GB SSD

#804 2010-01-03 07:29:08

dave00

Should add something here also smile

Been using Arch for about 24hrs now (It replaced RHEL5 which was running for 18mths) and I'm very impressed. Have found it very good for a new user, the extensive wiki's have been a huge help to get things going.

Under RHEL I really needed to do a lot of google searching to get things working but have only had to do it twice for the same build under Arch. I was able to fix the first issue (wTorrent wiki missed install of php-sqlite or assumed you'd already have it) and second issue is network-ups-tools. Done plenty of googling on that issue but can't work it out. Package wise it all installs so not sure where my issue is coming from. Really the only outstanding issue I have now.

Very impressed with the AUR too. Used it to install PS3 Media Server and I swear it took less than 5mins from start to finish. I could never get it going on my RHEL box with full x264 mkv support after a lot of stuffing around.

Given this box will be stuffed away as a server, going to install Arch on the laptop and try out a desktop. Would also put it on my netbook but need support for the stupid Intel GMA900? chipset which not even moblin support so might leave that as a windows machine! Does work in Fedora and Ubuntu but like to stick with a single distro on my machines as I get easily confused smile

#805 2010-01-04 03:47:39

CommodoreTex

Hey Gang. Just finished putting Arch on an (older) HP Pavilion dv8000. Next up is my new ASUS ul80vt, which crashes often on Ubuntu 9.10 and wouldn't take 9.04.

Then, in no order: Fit-PC2 (squeezeserver and video) currently running Ubuntu minimal install with LXDE; a standard Dell quad-core desktop with Ubuntu 9.04; and finally my original eeepc with crunchbang.

The wiki is indispensible, since I've primarily been on Ubuntu for several years.

#806 2010-01-05 19:59:16

gamb1t

Hey ya all, just installed Arch after 2 years of Ubuntu, still an newbie but hopefully I'll be quick to learn..

Thanks,
Iceland

#807 2010-01-05 20:35:11

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

Yaourt to you all!
I'm Samuele (Sam), a 24 year old guy living in Treviso (Italy), very near to Venice. I'm attending Computer Science at Venice University since september 2009. Before i was in Padua, also attending Computer Science, but decided to switch to Venice for a lot of reasons
In Padua I met a guy with a 12 inch iBook G4 and archlinux... Felt in love, with arch tongue And it's been 2 years of love without any problems big_smile

ps: if someone is looking for a developer outside italy, contact me tongue i'm available and ready to move anywhere but here tongue

hugs community!

Sam

#808 2010-01-08 03:25:44

mailman

Hello World, I hope you can assit me with my computer capers. I like arch, I like the community and I want to learn.

#809 2010-01-10 15:42:00

Kirodema

Hi,

my name is Daniel, I think I am 20 years old (at least everyone tells me that wink). I used Ubuntu for 3 years and then I got bored of it and used Gentoo for half year. Gentoo was funny because nothing worked and I was still able to work with it ... somehow ^^. For Christmas I got a new notebook (Thinkpad R500) and decided to use Arch because some of my colleagues at school use it too and are pleased with it. So I thought "lets try it" and now I am working with Arch smile.

- spam end - wink

btw.: sorry if my English is bad ... I am from Austria smile

#810 2010-01-10 17:30:02

r3xh3li0$

Hello,

name is rex, 18(w00t!) was a windows user, now a proud linux user. fooled with linux on and off over the past 3 years. Now I am using/learning linux so that my(not really mine) radio station can switch over to linux and rivendell radio automation. (Open-source FTW!).  decided on arch linux because i read somewhere that it is great for intermediate to advancded linux users. Arch so far has been the coolest distro i've tried so far.

#811 2010-01-11 09:30:02

fauxdeluxe

Hey there- I've just converted to Arch as my Windows 7 evaluation expires in March. Everything on my crusty old Dell Inspirion 6400 works without a hitch smile

So much for purchasing software when there is such a great horde of GNU stuff out there! cool

Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue...

#812 2010-01-12 12:21:24

caligo

Hi everyone.

My name is Martin, and I'm a 25 year old biology major living in Sweden.

My interest in Linux is the result of geeky curiosity combined with ideological preference I guess -- a year ago or so, I ditched my MacBook for a Lenovo S10 and started using Linux full-time. Like so many others, I started with Ubuntu and switched to Arch because I wanted something a bit more challenging (tried Kubuntu for a while, but never got the laptop fan to work properly, which seemed like something of a deal-breaker...).

#813 2010-01-12 20:58:05

DanielJackins

Hello!

My name's Daniel, I'm 18 and am in my first year majoring in mathematics, in Canada.

I'd been using Ubuntu for about 2 years, and while still incredibly satisfied with Ubuntu, decided I'd like to both try something different and understand the inner workings of Linux a bit better. So here I am! Just got Arch up and running last night, everything is working great, and I am absolutely loving it smile

See everyone around!

#814 2010-01-12 22:21:05

Tiigon

Hi, I have used Arch Linux for about two and half months now. I also started with Ubuntu but moved to Arch now

Last edited by Tiigon (2021-04-07 20:49:25)

#815 2010-01-16 04:42:24

computerex

Hello guys. I just got Arch running last night, and spent a large part of the day playing with it. It's excellent! This is probably the fastest/most stable distro I have tried so far. I switched over because Kubuntu/Ubuntu were running much slower then Windows in terms of responsiveness, and I had heard that Arch was much faster. It is living up to its promise! Thanks to everyone who is working on this wonderful project (as well as the people who work on kdemod, which just rocks).

#816 2010-01-17 13:01:26

Loxley

Hello Peeps! smile

I've decided to install and try archlinux in an attempt to learn more about linux and programming than ubuntu teaches me. Yes I realize that I could learn many things from ubuntu but usually I end up reverting to the GUI, using to even unzip tar balls and the likes, I wanted something that forces me to do something to finally learn what actually happens.

I'm a student at the technical university of graz and well.. i'm a pretty much linux noob :-D. I crashed and burned with Fedora a few times on my main computer (frequent crashes, problems getting it to recognize my geforce) and i've been using Ubuntu on my 'lame' dell for a while. I thought i'd give Archlinux a try with the Xfce GUI which hopefully doesn't guzzle my battery just as quickly as Gnome and Ubuntu do.

I've actually just learnt how to add users, access my ethernet cable, how to *gasp* choose packages at the installation (never knew it was spacebar before lol) and am now trying to add a Xfce desktop because i'm slightly addicted to instant messaging and websurfing.

I primarilly want to use GCC and G++ for programming (Software development course), learn linux and hopefully save on juice. I'm thinking Arch-Linux is going to kick me more in that direction than ubuntu will ever do. Also Ubuntu has a bad rap at university being more often than not labelled as "not-linux".

Before I can fully begin, I have to learn how to set up and start the Xfce desktop, use the bw43cutter for my network card / vpnc, and hopefully i'm on the good way to 'victory' ha, if it can be called such smile

I usually check the forums (well lets say I started today hence its a tad bit inaccurate), but I find many helpful tutorials on the wiki and here and maybe.. just maybe one day I can contribute back to the newer peeps smile

Well wish you all a lovely day and hopefully i'm here to stay!

Greetings to all of you big_smile

#817 2010-01-19 01:49:01

Dr.Paneas
Website

Hi there

This is my first post here. Nice worth-looking forum though smile big_smile

#818 2010-01-19 06:13:23

thehatusa

hi arch-people, hello everyone. the goal of arch is that it can be like you want. it's nice for me. thanks for arch. i come from archlinux.cl forum. i hope i can learn more about this SO. i was a slitaz2 stable user for 1 1/2 years. nothing bad to say about slitaz, but arch repo is biggest (math programs for university, i fall in love with that), and arch is optimised to mi arquitecture.

really nice forum. first post

#819 2010-01-19 11:27:40

theta

Hi Everyone smile

My name is Apoorv, am doing my graduation in Electronics in India and this is my first post.

I just got arch running with a lot of modifications and software (still going on). I had been using ubuntu since the last year and always ended up using some sort of GUI for almost everything. I gained a lot of knowledge while setting up arch on my laptop.

Its really fast and lightweight and gives u the freedom to configure it the way you want it to be. Thanks to the Arch Developers and Community for this great OS.

Cheers

#820 2010-01-19 11:58:19

Loxley

I have to agree with theta. Although I installed xfce4 so i can use instant messaging programs, i've stilled gained a lot of knowledge just installing arch and trying things out :-). Even though I haven't got fully functional with everything I want, I know that I am on the correct path there.

Greetings,

#821 2010-01-20 09:22:55

llawwehttam

Hiah,
Matt here,
started using linux when I went to high school and started to like it a lot. Switched over about 4 years ago. Started with fedora, moved to debian and fiddled with opensuse and tried a lot of other distros  and finally stuck with ubuntu but got bored of fixing things after huge updates so  HERE I AM woop woop.

#822 2010-01-20 14:54:52

n0dix

Hi there!!

I am not a new in this world of linux. I used Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo, Sabayon and finally Arch. I think the Arch distro is really awesome, stable and simple. I hope continue in that way.

#823 2010-01-21 08:16:22

Cows

Hello everyone,

My name is Jonathan. I'm 18 years old, and I started tinkering with Linux on the side back in December 2006. I started with openSUSE 10.3(Purchased it from my local retailer, I didn't know Linux was free sad ), then I went to Ubuntu and loved the nature of "It just works", now I'm a Windows/Mac user, so on the Windows side it doesn't just work (Windows 7 fixed this problem for me personally), Mac well.. what more can you say.. it does "just work" and I love it, but anyways, the problem with Linux's "just work" theory is that it doesn't "just work" when something breaks, and that will mostly always happen to you at least once, you are screwed because you don't know how the system was set up or built. Anyways, in 2007 I tried out Arch and I either didn't like it, or didn't understand it. I continued with Ubuntu/Windows/Mac, as the years went on I tried out various other distros ranging from Mandriva to Gentoo, and BSDs as OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD. I failed to do install Gentoo and FreeBSD, and I failed to do anything productive in Open/Net-BSDs. I'm not very experienced when it comes to how Linux or BSD organizes things, but for some reason, now that I tried Arch Linux in 2009, things just start to make sense to me (as long as I'm persistent with it). Anyways I love Arch and will continue to use it.

#824 2010-01-21 13:40:05

Krause

And, the thread where you get to write about yourself is the longest on this board, how surprising.

I'm jewdozer, I thought I'd give Arch a try after reading all the trolls about it on /g/. I use Debian and SuSE otherwise.

#825 2010-01-21 17:35:46

MikeT
Website

Just thought I'd drop by and say hi.  The named Mike as you'd guess from the username.  I've used Linux before (probably around ten years ago) and have recently moved back after a long hiatus.  Arch really appeals as it reminds me of how things used to be.

Board footer