You are not logged in.

#851 2010-02-14 19:39:49

oc999

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

hi ,
recently installed archlinux and since alot is not working so well for me ( pretty much a newbie )and i've already posted some questions i'll say hello too big_smile
i chose arch after having used ubuntu and linux mint because i wanted to get more in touch with the console and customize as much as i can for my needs.
i'm 25 and study mechanical engineering.

#852 2010-02-15 18:34:18

lazlow
Website

Hello everybody,

I'm patrick and I'm from Germany, some folks already said hi to me in some other thread, but I wanted to greet everyone here. I'm studying Informatics and changed to Arch Linux after about 4 years on Fedora + Ubuntu, and after two short trips to both Gentoo and Debian. Arch is just the right mix from being leightweight and user-friendly. I'll hope I can contribute in the Arch Community, which has been very kind to me smile

#853 2010-02-17 07:00:33

arinlares
Website

Hi,
I'm Arin.  I'm floating somewhere between high-school and the rest of my life,  For two years, this March, I will have been somewhat obsessed with Linux.  I've been using various distros on my Eee 1000ha since September, starting with Ubuntu, Eeebuntu (waiting on their next Sid-based release), OpenSuSE 11.2, and Fedora.  I got tired of distro-hopping, but nothing offered what I wanted my Linux experience to be:  Install the system, add everthing else.  Two years ago, I read about Linux, looked up what makes it go, and thought "Gee, I'd like to set that up for myself!"  Now, I have, more or less (it's not Linux from Scratch or Gentoo, but it's mine).  It feels much better than just installing Ubuntu/SuSE/Fedora, and forgetting about it.

#854 2010-02-17 13:54:32

diederick76

Hi,

I'm Diederick, I live in Amsterdam and work in Den Haag at the Dutch Justice Ministry's science institute. My background is in database design, though I've worked as a Java developer for the Netherlands Cancer Institute for four years.

I started using Linux back in 1999 with Suse 6 (iirc), upgraded that a few times, but I found it much too complicated. So I tried out Crux, which is much easier to customize and I liked it a lot for its flexibility, but things tended to break a lot and I really hate compile-time errors. So after deciding I'm not a sysadmin I switched to Ubuntu (and Kubuntu when KDE4.3 was out). I liked (K)Ubuntu for its ease of use and that virtually everything just works out of the box, but when you do something the maintainers don't foresee, you're basically screwed.

So last weekend I installed Arch as a compromise between Crux and Ubuntu. So far I'm really impressed. Arch basically cost me less than two evenings to set up, and one or two minor issues aside, everything seems to work nicely now. I also really like the idea of a rolling release. If this works out, it would be nothing short of a dream come true: never having to install an OS again on this computer. Let's see.

#855 2010-02-18 02:03:29

philthy

Hello all. I'm Phil. I'm new to the Linux and Unix world. I've been using Windows all my life. I'm tired of using the same OS and I'm looking for a change/challenge. I've tried different distros such as Ubuntu, Mint, DSL, Crunchbang, and Puppy. What I'm looking to do is build a lightweight system with a nice GUI. I'm also hoping this will propel me to learn the UNIX command line. After seeing the screenshots of how people set up their Openbox Arch system, that's the way I want to go.

#856 2010-02-18 04:23:15

stryder

Hi all... welcome! smile

#857 2010-02-19 03:23:43

daikon

Hello!

I'm new to linux- 2 months since my windows XP machine wouldn't boot anymore.. ubuntu live cd allowed me to rescue my data.. and I was hooked. since then I've been distro hopping like crazy- ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, linnux mint, linuc mint xfce, fluxbox.. I could go on. Then I started a minimal install of ubuntu, thinking to build it up my way.. but in the end I thought, well, if I'm going that far, why not a bit further. so hello Arch linux! Hopefully once I've got it sorted my quest for the perfect set-up will be done!

In the meantime, I'm having a lot of fun:) just like I did 30 odd years ago with the sinclair zx81, and the Tandy TRS80..

Apparently, the command line was missing from my life:)

Anyway, so far no keyboard in X, but looks like the answers are out there in the wiki etc.. for now, I'm installing knoppix on a usb stick to boot for my daily business, while I get deeper into the Arch world..

Hoping to have some kind of working system by Monday!

Cheers!

#858 2010-02-19 03:45:10

aeug0083

Hi everyone! Haven't been using Arch very long, but my linux experience goes back to Red Hat Linux 6.1. I am not really an expert in thing though. I am really liking Arch for it's BSD style configuration scripts and abs. I am using Arch on my Eeepc 1005HA netbook.

#859 2010-02-19 05:55:16

courtneycoles27

Its nice to be here.... I'm new to this forum hopefully I will make some friends here in the days to come. By the way i am Courtney.....:D

#860 2010-02-21 08:07:56

flowxn

Gday

I've been using ubuntu for a couple of years, looking here to explore other options and try and get a deeper understanding of linux

#861 2010-02-21 12:35:21

weichimaster

Wotcha

I've been using Arch in a virtual box from Ubuntu for about a fortnight. But I spend more time using Arch than Ubuntu, so I'll make my machine triple boot later today (XP/Ubuntu/Arch).

I'm new to linux, with 3 months' experience. But I did use Unix between 1993 and 1999.

#862 2010-02-21 17:33:54

poliocertes

Hi for everyone. I'm from Poland. Linux/unix user since 6 years.

#863 2010-02-21 19:57:08

whacath

just want to say; Hi mom!

#864 2010-02-21 20:03:00

CorruptedRonin

Hello all. Been using ubuntu since August, until a friend showed off Arch and I finally felt competent enough with the linux/unix system to try it out. Loving it so far!

CorruptedRonin: Arch Linux | Fluxbox

#865 2010-02-21 22:29:38

greenbehemoth

Hi all,

Not really a newb, been running Arch for a lot of months now with no issues whatsoever (until today that is). Best Linux distro I've ever used and I've tried a lot of distros. Fastest and most stable, elegant and trouble-free distro out there. Many, many thanks to all concerned smile

green.

#866 2010-02-26 00:06:54

markcasias

hi to all, this is mark of California i am also new to this thread just like you.....

#867 2010-02-26 00:11:54

kzersatz

Ello'

Yes, I'm a newbie to Arch, I've dabbled a few different distro's and have decided to take the plunge just a few days ago.

#868 2010-02-26 07:53:34

islandis

Hey, everyone. My name is Ed and I'm new to the distro, after having defected from Ubuntu. Aside from the philosophy of bottom-up simplicity, one thing that really drew me to Arch was that it offers me a respite from being forced to deal with the demon that is PulseAudio, which had been messing me up in my attempts to get into the Linux pro-audio realm. I make music on PC with a monome (see http://www.monome.org), and have been wanting to move away from dual-booting with Windows, to get into a pure Linux workflow a la http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/08/0 … m-cascone/.

I've been using Linux for the better part of a decade, mostly the more hand-holdy distros like Red Hat/Fedora, Mandrake and (since Dapper) Ubuntu. So far, I'm appreciating Arch for the learning curve it brings someone with my background, and also for the user/developer community responsible for a truly awesome, well put-together beginner installation guide.

So hi, thanks(!), and all of that.  I'm really glad to have found this great distribution and great community!

#869 2010-02-26 19:20:46

xmL

Hi everyone!

I am Bartholomew - well "Bart" - from Germany. I bumped into Arch a short time ago after using Ubuntu for quite a while. Bored by Ubuntu i was looking for a distribution close to Gentoo but not that disappointing. I found Arch to be the most suitable distro around - with an active community and some nice wiki-paper's. So here I am, currently messing around with ABS and makepkg.

Thanks Arch team and
greetings from Germany
Bart

Last edited by xmL (2010-02-26 19:22:30)

#870 2010-02-27 04:49:13

TFB

Hello and I'm a soon to be newbie to Arch.  I am currently an Ubuntu user and I'm not really happy about the way things are going over there.  Tomorrow is my first serious try at an Arch install.

Truth be told, I'm pretty nervous!

#871 2010-02-27 05:45:13

jvaldezjr

Hello.  I'm another Kubuntu user that is considering a change.  I choose Arch because of it's "bleeding edge" capabilities, and it's KISS principles.  I also wanted to learn more about linux under the hood and improve some essential core linux skills.  I have already received welcome's from my first post on these forums here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=92037

I'm also hearing that the community here is very strong and more professional than other distro forums.  The bit of looking around that I have done when researching this distro tells me that the people here are helpful and squared away.  Comparing to Ubuntu, which has been my primary linux distro for the last 5 years, the forums were all over the place, many topics similar or duplicated, and the knowledge base was either just non-existent, or no one cared enough to actually post valid solutions.  To be fair, the community and documentation on the OS was very huge, and is probably one of the main reasons why that OS is successful, but I think that OS was designed and marketed for a certain user base, yet those of us that want to learn more about linux without everything being done automagically need something more in depth.  Ubuntu has helped me realize that everything I did in Windows, I can do in Linux, using the same, and sometimes even better software, and without a hefty price tag.  Arch, I hope, will help me improve my core linux skills by learning more about how it works on the insides.

I posted this last point on my other thread, but my biggest peeve with Ubuntu is the release cycle.  If I want to update certain software, I have to either compile the app from source, or try using the repos.  The problem with the repos is that (depending on the app and dependencies) the newer Ubuntu repos aren't compatible completely with an older version, which means I would have to update Ubuntu to the newer version to get a newer app.  From what I learned so far about Arch, this problem may take care of itself, and the Arch Build System may even be the answer.

Hello again, and I'm looking foward to actually learning Linux!

#872 2010-02-27 13:33:54

thriftee

Hmmmm, I guess I'm older and a bit eccentric.  I'd need to be to try this adventure.  Been working on computers since 1974.  Mostly business stuff for a living, like building servers, networks, setting up pc's, designing and writing systems, fixing systems or pc's, etc.   Not a huge amount of unix/linux, but started with it in 1986 on Microport and ATT Unix later, then Xenix, then SCO Unix doing server stuff and interfacing them to EBCDIC based IBM equipment, then many years later GUI based Mandrake, and more recently Debian.  I have to admit, I haven't seen a manual install like this, ever for linux, since back in the days of Microport or ATT v3.3.2, nor have I actually known what most of the programs being used were doing under the covers or what parameters were being used, etc., so its pretty much a new world from that respect.  But it really *IS* nice to know what's really going on...

Why am I here?  How did I get here?  Well, I have this MSI m/b based machine I built, and for the life of me I can't get the sound (Soundblaster x-Fi Xtreme Audio Express) to work under any of the linux distro's I have, and I noticed that Arch has the newest version of ALSA, which is supposed to support the sound card that comes standard with this m/b.

So here I go...

#873 2010-02-27 18:23:39

palermitus

Hello everyone!

I´m visual artist and working with p5/processing community
http://www.processing.org

my blog: http://fronteraincierta.blogspot.com

And choose arch like my favourite SO...for ever!!! ;P

best

e

#874 2010-02-27 23:22:41

Heaven Implode

I'm another Gentoo abandoner, though I also distro-hopped a lot in the past.

I've started with a clean slate with Arch on my PC and I'm very impressed. I'm probably going to stick with this distro.

#875 2010-02-28 22:28:01

CountDuckula

Hi,

Arch noob here. Over the years I have been running RedHat, Debian, Ubuntu, SuSe etc.. and have now settled on Arch with Openbox for simplicity and speed. Just had enough of the main distro's bloated installs (Debian being possible exception). So for now (and long term) it's Arch for desktop and FreeBSD for server stuff - but that could change smile

My only comment so far is that Arch could improve the install experience as it was about on par (or worse) with FreeBSD for getting a desktop setup going. Having said that, you guys are doing a great job overall from what I've seen so far!

Board footer