You are not logged in.

#876 2010-03-01 18:24:43

evot

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello Arch linux forum.

I think this is the right place to say thanks. I have installed arch on my asus eee pc thanks to great beginer's guide.

I have used losts of time trying to find right linux distribution, but now i think i have found the right one. smile
I can make it to be what ever i want and same time learn to use linux more than ever.

Now i'm going to start installing it to my desktop computer.

Last edited by evot (2010-03-01 18:25:06)

#877 2010-03-02 07:10:55

stozi

Hi, I'm from BC Canada. I was using crunchbang and before that xubuntu. You can see from my signature that I need a light OS. Openbox and strict gtk+ is light enough for me. I love Midori. I love this rolling release too. The install was easier than expected. I appreciate all the suggestion notes that pop up here and there when you try to do something you can't, thanks to all the developers who stick those in.

Just need to get xorg.conf and usb storage figured out & I'll be laughing.

#878 2010-03-02 08:50:16

tawan
Website

Hello, you may have seen me on Mint or Crunchbang and I finally made it here. Thanks to the ArchBang project I'm now up and running Arch/Openbox big_smile

Great day lost in config files and learning pacman.

#879 2010-03-02 12:25:15

nithin

Hello,
    I am from Bangalore, India.  Well I have finally landed up here after distro-hopping for a long while. I dont think there will be a big urge to distro-hop anymore. I love the KISS philosophy of Arch. I have installed all my favorite apps on my fully customized desktop. I also like the idea of not having a single useless app sitting on my menus. I guess since Arch makes users hand-build their system, they end-up more attached than other distros ;-)

My initial impressions are Arch is a Clean, Fast, No-Nonsense & Relatively-Stable approach design a distro. I would have liked it more if Arch had a branch/repo which was more conservative thus making it more stable for server usages. Although for a desktop I feel its fairly stable. I am yet to mess around with ABS.

I hope to interact and contribute with the community in future !

~Nithin

#880 2010-03-03 14:49:52

Eagleheart

Hi all!

I'm from Mexico City. I've been using Linux for one year and a half. Mandriva was my choice, and it's a very good distro, but it had a couple of details and a mistake that got me mad so I decided to install... Chakra. It didn't work, so I said "what the heck? Well, I'll try Arch to see what happens".

Installed it today [after a nightmare of a gorilla killing people I had...] and it's a very good feeling. I'll stroll in the forums to learn more about how get things working.

Sancte Michaele Archangele, defende nos in proelio adversvm malvs

#881 2010-03-06 18:33:47

DeletedUser201201
Banned

Hello everyone, I have been using Gnu/Linux for two years on and off (secondary OS) and for the last two years mainstream, four years in total. However, I had before passed from other distros {Fedora Core 5, Ubuntu, Gentoo}. Arch fits really well with my personality, minimalism is a school I currently attend. Also, the idea of having a barebone system and then building it to your needs that has been seen in many *BSD flavors is reflecting in the best way on Archlinux.

Arch gave me the option to learn and go further and further to the point of wanting to learn programming just to get to a better understanding of the system.

Said that Arch could (and should) improve, pacman one of the fastest and best package managers out there but not supporting package sighing is indeed a problem that I hope will be fixed in the future.

I hope to gain a better understanding about free software/open source as well as contribute and interact with other users.

#882 2010-03-07 18:13:45

compuda
Website

So I already posted this message on another thread before I noticed that I was blind and didn't see this thread:

compuda wrote:

jvaldezjr, thanks for starting this topic. I was looking for a "introduce yourself here" topic (because every forum always has one) where I could spill my gratitude and happiness but actually I couldn't find such a topic. So here it goes:

Ive probably installed a GNU/Linux distro about 10x in the past year, but never for more than three days. Ive tried the usual ready packaged distros as well as less common variations. The first time I completed and arch installation was maybe half a year ago, but I quickly changed back to the comfort zone of windows.

You could say I am computer savvy but I don't know any programming languages or anything like that, but this Friday I decided to stick through and install Arch (as its the only distro that I've tried in the past that I liked enough to make me want more), full on primary hard drive on my laptop and learn from the ground up. What can I say, its been a great weekend, I have a window manager and firefox installed, Ive slept very little but of my own will - I feel like I did as a kid playing with Lego. Joy! Not once did I have to post a question in the forum so far, Google searches, forum searches and wiki reading have solved issues that I thought I would have to approach the forum with.

Arch community, thank you!
I hope that one day I will be able to contribute.

That pretty much sums it up. I would welcome it if some of you checked out my profile (in signature) and left some feedback or something.

#883 2010-03-07 20:03:43

Zuo

Hello to anyone who reads this. Name's James. 20 years old student of International Relations. I live near Kraków, Poland. I'm a free software user for about five years, Archer for two. I contribute to FLOSS mostly by translating Polish<->English and managing wiki entries. I don't really see a reason to write more here - if anyone would like to talk (or for example lives close and wants to go out for a beer or something) just send a PM. I'd also gladly help new (or aspiring) Linux users to accomodate without much pain.

Cheers.

Last edited by Zuo (2010-03-07 20:12:34)

#884 2010-03-09 12:30:05

Pyongyang
Website

Hello all, greetings from the Cayman Islands. Looking forward to trying Arch (if I could ever get it to install on my A1 Netbook!).

#885 2010-03-10 15:42:17

archn3s7

Hello everyone,

My name is Justin (or Nest...whateves) and I have only been using arch for about a week now, and i can say that i am very impressed with the veristility of this distro, right now im running GNOME on my work PC and just started a new Fluxbox at home. I have been using linux off and on for about 5-6 years now and this is my first cl-based distro and its awesome, not as scary as gentoo.
I heard about this on the XDA developers forums (if u have an HTC/android phone go there...it rocks http://forum.xda-developers.com/ ).

#886 2010-03-10 19:54:22

davisd
Website

Hello! My name is David Davis. I'm a veteran Windows/.NET developer, Linux novice.  I've been testing/learning linux ditros since June of 2009.  After playing with all of the 'buntu flavors (Xubuntu, Ubuntu, Kubuntu); Suse, Fedora, Slackware, Sidux (Debian testing), I've arrived at Arch!  I'll stay here.

I credit Ubuntu for working "right" the first time and encouraging my interest.

I can appreciate the elegance of the configuration and the superior package management of pacman.  The AUR was an excellent idea, I'm using yaourt (yaourt-abs) for easy access. apt-get/aptitude in an ubuntu/deb repo is great if you want OLD software.

In the last week, I've discovered Arch and successfully installed on a Dell XPS M170 and a Dell Mini 10 netbook.  Everything went logically and works great!

Keep up the good work, I hope I can contribute!

#887 2010-03-10 20:10:49

vendion
Website

I'm guessing I should come by and say "Hello" to everyone here.  The name is Adam, I am a openSUSE user but I have been playing around with other distros to see what they have to offer, when I decided to give Arch a try.  I have heard a lot of great things about it before but now that I have a installation running in a VM I can see what they are talking about.

#888 2010-03-11 12:28:05

aizenix

hello everyone, iam new here, but longtime i use linux especially Archlinux, so ask me a questions

#889 2010-03-11 15:08:35

DeathComesDriving

Hello! I am a user who's had his fill of Windows, at least for now, and decided to move to a free Unix like OS. At first, I was going to use Slackware, but Arch Linux's community, wiki, and package management won me over.

#890 2010-03-14 09:16:41

Fabrinux

Hi all!

As the nick might you intend, my name is Fabrizio.
I'll not number the advantages in using Arch, we all know and we all are addicted big_smile

Here in Italy, people are lazy, they rarely change from their habit, so they rarely convert to linux...
...But I still fight to enlighten their minds...

This means that I'm pleased to read in these forums that there are lots of people more expert than me.

I'll soon bother you all with my arch problems smile

Thank you all, bye!

#891 2010-03-14 20:16:25

martin77

Hi folks, I'm totally new to Arch smile

I'm a longtime user of Ubuntu and Debian but since Debian has too large release cycles and Ubuntu/Kubuntu are rather buggy I'm out to find a distro that can fill this gap- I think Arch is an awesome Linux approach and I'm sure I'll have to take the time to learn it but in the end I think I will end up with a pretty stable, pretty usable system without all the glitches Kubuntu and Ubuntu have.

I'm downloading the ISO image and while that's done I want to know some things about Arch, may be you can help me:

1. With the KDE4 implementation of Arch (KDEmod?) will I be able to play succefully flash movies -YouTube and so on- on my x64 system? It's impossible to have sound in Kubuntu in flash movies on a x64 system.
2. I *hate* suspend and hibernation are soooo buggy in Ubuntu/Kubuntu, grrr, how Arch deal with them?
3. Last, for now: I have an ATI 5750HD 1GB video card, will Arch work with it?

Thanks for all! Waiting for your advice here smile

Martin

#892 2010-03-14 20:28:15

karlzt

Hi

I have 4 months using arch now

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Einstein

Black holes are nothing but gigantic galactic segfaults

#893 2010-03-15 03:30:35

Gen2ly
Website

martin77 wrote:

Hi folks, I'm totally new to Arch smile

I'm a longtime user of Ubuntu and Debian but since Debian has too large release cycles and Ubuntu/Kubuntu are rather buggy I'm out to find a distro that can fill this gap- I think Arch is an awesome Linux approach and I'm sure I'll have to take the time to learn it but in the end I think I will end up with a pretty stable, pretty usable system without all the glitches Kubuntu and Ubuntu have.

I'm downloading the ISO image and while that's done I want to know some things about Arch, may be you can help me:

1. With the KDE4 implementation of Arch (KDEmod?) will I be able to play succefully flash movies -YouTube and so on- on my x64 system? It's impossible to have sound in Kubuntu in flash movies on a x64 system.
2. I *hate* suspend and hibernation are soooo buggy in Ubuntu/Kubuntu, grrr, how Arch deal with them?
3. Last, for now: I have an ATI 5750HD 1GB video card, will Arch work with it?

Thanks for all! Waiting for your advice here smile

Martin

Well, the news probably isn't going to be that good for you martin77.  First I should say that questions should probably go to the main forum.  This thread is just primarily to say hello.  For 1) KDEmod isn't Arch's implementation of KDE.  KDEmod actually belongs to the Chakra project that adds some bells and whistles to the typical KDE install.  Arch tends to try and stay vanilla in their packages.  This works good for several reasons which are not of topic here.  2) Not likely.  Suspend and Hibernation are still pretty new to Linux in general.  If you have the time you may have better success but it's not guaranteed. 3)  ATi drivers are currently in a state of flux in Linux.  While development shifts to open-source drivers the proprietary ones are lagging behind and the new ones are still young.  Anyways, best to finish this on a regular thread.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#894 2010-03-15 11:58:00

janoli

Hi all!  I'm coming back to Arch and is a good surprise again.  Very fast, and simple configuration.  I love it!!

#895 2010-03-15 18:08:28

phantasmik

Hello, I use Arch on my work desktop and at home, I work with Linux for fun as a well as professionally as an administrator, I hope I can be helpful and learn a few things. I want to say thank you for creating such an amazingly simple to use distribution, I can't imagine using anything else on my workstations. smile

Enthusiast

#896 2010-03-15 21:25:18

zoke

Hello everyone! I've been looking at arch intently and I will be installing it on my laptop shortly!

#897 2010-03-16 14:33:20

Andy M

Hello everyone...

Have been lurking in the background here after finding Arch about 3-4 months ago. Up until then I'd been playing with Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora et al, but they were never installed for more than a week before I found something I didn't get on with (the final push from Ubuntu was PulseAudio - Intel HDA sound is a no go). Arch, while having similar moments, manages to make up for that 100 fold with all the Wiki and forum entries. I've learnt more in 4 months here than I have in 10 years of playing with linux on and off. Keep it up and thanks to all the people who take the time to help and write articles for the wiki.

#898 2010-03-16 16:23:49

markfiend

Hello all, I'm new to Arch but not to Linux. My name's Mark, I work as a web dev. (PHP / MySQL but my boss has me on a Win box :spit: ) I do exclusively run Linux at home though.

I've basically got bored with the *buntu distros I've been hopping between for the past couple of years. I reckon I'm ready to move onto the more "hardcore" approach of Arch. I've already got as far as successfully installing LXDE on my new Arch system thanks to the wiki! (I prefer the lightweight LXDE approach to the resource-hungry KDEs and GNOMEs of this world.)

#899 2010-03-16 19:00:41

grizzeledtop

janoli wrote:

Hi all!  I'm coming back to Arch and is a good surprise again.  Very fast, and simple configuration.  I love it!!

Aren't there many of us like you; l had an installation 7 month old, "pacman -Syu" asked for updating 2.5 G, and the thing just worked flawlessly afterwards! pretty incredible!

You scratch my back, I'll ride on yours

#900 2010-03-17 00:55:53

raj7095

I arrived about half a month ago. Hello, my wonderful, most amazing neighbours. Arch linux is amazing distro. Best 1 I have tried so far. Its bleeding edge, yet stable. Billion times more stable and better than ubuntu or fedora or any other "noob" distro.

Last edited by raj7095 (2010-03-17 00:58:14)

Board footer