You are not logged in.

#2251 2012-02-23 19:55:45

Sichify

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Well hello.

I'm relatively new at Linux. Actually. I tried Ubuntu 10.04 as my first distro, last November.. But since then I've jumped from distro to distro, and then remembered that my friend told me about Arch.. Then I thougth, if I really want to learn this system, Arch is the way to go. Startede a few days ago, and already I've learned twice as much, as I've learned the last month, sitting on a regular distro. I love the way, I have to find all my misconfigured programs and so on.

Other than that, I'm 20 and from Denmark.

#2252 2012-02-24 16:37:16

Adren

Thank you Archlinux for your contribution to the Gnu/Linux world, I really enjoyed this piece of K.I.S.S method. I was able to learned a great amount; reading man pages and the archlinux wiki.
I"m very glad for this , as I learned to be a user of linux and as well as a developer, with all the useful tools that pacman provides me with and as well as AUR database.

There is so much to learn and too much tweaking... I will go into the sun and tweak this baby out!

-Adren

Last edited by Adren (2012-02-24 16:43:07)

“It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
― Paulo Coelho, Alchemist

#2253 2012-02-24 17:29:07

kc3

I'm new to arch big_smile just got it setup, I used Slackware for a couple of years and arch is actually a pretty decent change, I'm enjoying it so far smile

#2254 2012-02-25 17:49:16

ivantomica

Hello,

I am proud newbie to Arch wink

I am using arch for about 4 months now and all i can say is WOOOW,
this distro is perfect, and it is all i have ever looked for in one distribution.

It is simple, it is rolling release (til my hard drive doesn't drop dead wink ) , and it is very stable if you know how to use it.

Bravoo smile

#2255 2012-02-25 21:15:46

dot|not
Website

Good evening ladies and gentleman,

as a fresh Arch-user I thought it was a good idea to say "Hello". I switched from Debian which I've been using for quite a time now, sadly my new notebook (Thinkpad x121e) has some issues with it, especially concerning the graphics adapter and the wired network. After messing up my system four or five times after an upgrade I decided to take a look for something new. And somewhere in the Internet I read that Arch fully supports every built-in component, so after throwing away my resentiments I tried it. Hope to have a good time here. smile

#2256 2012-02-26 02:49:00

qtcaroline22

Hi everyone,

I've actually started using Arch last year but at first I was intimidated by its complexity and everything so I've decided to hop to easier distros first (namely Crunchbang and Fedora) so that I can try to understand the working bits of a GNU/Linux system first (limited understanding tho, but useful nonetheless). I just started setting up my laptop (a Thinkpad X60s) for Arch, and it's awesome (that's my wm too). I still have some problems that needs to be ironed out but I think that's where the excitement of Arch comes from.

Do not let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.

#2257 2012-02-26 11:51:37

mankand007
Website

Hi All...

I'm a new Archer, straight out of ubuntu...

Proud of my Arch configured to be the coolest openbox system with no small help from the Internet...

Learnt more Linux in the past week alone than my entire 4 years' experience with Ubuntu....

See ya around.. Cheers!

Custom built Openbox Arch linux 64

blog:
http://manikandan.means.it

#2258 2012-02-26 22:15:44

aryszka

hello all,
i like this whole arch way a lot. coming from a massive 6 years of ubuntu and before that some years of occasional fingertipping with fedora and suse. this is different. the wiki is not only a great help but also teaches a lot about this whole computing stuff. and similar to how mankand007 said just before: i have learnt more about linux in these couple of days than in those 12 years before, or almost, or feels like that, whatever... never too late.
cheers

#2259 2012-02-28 02:03:22

GordieGii

Hello Arch World!
I come from the land of Ubuntu (8.04 to 10.04) and finally got tired of GnomeBloat.
I love the snappy response on my Atom-ION MoBo am looking forward to trying it on a RaspberryPi.

Gordie.

Last edited by GordieGii (2012-02-28 02:25:24)

#2260 2012-02-28 13:52:58

Redgore Strikes

Hello everyone, not quite new to arch been using it for a few years now but the last year or so it's the only distro and os period that i use on my system. Finally joining the community, about time huh? haha, anyways hope i make a good addition to the community i don't really ask a lot of questions but i love answering and helping others

#2261 2012-02-28 18:17:41

nobel

Hey guys!

I've been using other distros for a few years, and recently moved over to Arch. In the week or so I have been using Arch i really feel like I've gotten to know my system a lot better, and I'm really enjoying diving in to all the problems along the way :-)
I look forward to being part of the community and (hopefully) contribute to making Arch even better in the future!

#2262 2012-02-29 00:03:26

bananas4370

Great distro. I have been playing with Arch on an old laptop and was impressed. It's now replaced crunchbang on my main system.  I thought apt-get was cool, but pacman beats it hands down. The arch wiki is a permanent bookmark now.

No more distro hopping for me.

Cheers
Patrick

Linux Counter: #478369
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it.

#2263 2012-02-29 00:08:58

/dev/zero

Patrick wrote:

Warwick 4370 Australia

No way! My mum lives in Warwick. I was up there a couple of months ago for Christmas. I went to highschool in Toowoomba.

Welcome to Arch smile.

#2264 2012-02-29 04:59:29

MastodonHQ
Website

Hey, Been using arch mostly for the past 2 years, I came to arch because of my need for a lightweight distro with only the bare essentials on it because at that time my laptop ( a dell inspiron from 07 ) had trouble running ubuntu ( which was at that time my go to distro ), The Distro's I've tried in order: DSL >> Puppy >> Ubuntu (First Full time distro) >> Lubuntu ( was lighter than ubuntu but still had some trouble ) >> Arch, where I've been for  the longest time. I usually run Fluxbox with Conky, or AwesomeWM ( Which was my First Tiling manager and I do like it alot so much more productive though i haven't figured out what i'd need to do to get it to install, I believe it was a xcb or some library dependency that was deprecated ).

Anyhow Arch will probably Be my Choice for a long time to come because Everytime I build my setup its different everytime.

#2265 2012-03-01 22:33:06

djxr

~ Hello! I've been using Arch for a few years, I use it for everything now. I just setup my home media center with it, and I'm looking to run a home fileserver from the same machine. My media center runs from an 9 year old dell laptop and my mobile workstation is an acer aspire one. Currently (and probably for a good long time) they are both running the awesome wm.
    I'm an actor, writer, hacker wannabee (not black-hat), and an American living in Canada. I'm not usually involved with forums as I find it more fun to do the research myself than to ask, and when I do want to ask something I usually figure out which wiki page to read as soon as I type the question out, but I've come to the realization that I will never leave Arch, so I made an account!

#pacman -Rs lurking-loner
$cower -dd community
$makepkg -si

Last edited by djxr (2012-03-01 22:34:38)

#2266 2012-03-02 18:48:53

minivanman

In my circles I'm known as the militant Linux guy.  Back in 2009 I got my last virus and switched to Linux and never looked back.  I've continued to get more and more comfortable with Linux and especially the command line.  You know you're doing well when you'd rather open a terminal than a GUI.  Since then I've converted all my family to Linux, including my aging mother-in-law that would call me at least twice a month to come clean some crap out of her Windows machine.  I only get questions now on how to do something instead of "hey can you come fix this". 

Linux Mint is my distro of choice when converting people to Linux.  It has the closest "Windows" feel of all the distros I've test drove. 

My wife runs Kubuntu on her machine because Digikam is a damn fine program and she does a lot of photo editing and cataloguing.  I use Mint Gnome on my desktop.  I have one Mythbuntu box as a Myth backend and frontend.

I've been wanting to give Arch a real go ever since delving into Linux.  Back in the 80's I really enjoyed poking around MSDOS on old 286 and 386 machines.  I first tried in 2009 with little success due to just not understanding things very well.  Windows had dumbed me down to what I felt was a completely unacceptable level.  Since then, I'll take old machines and toy around with Arch and have gotten pretty comfortable with it.  So, for my next big project it only made sense to use Arch.

The project was a mediacenter that would tie into the Mythbuntu backend that would also serve for streaming, and Netflix, via a virtual machine.  I had less headache setting this up via Arch than I did trying to use Mythbuntu for the same project.  I still have some tweaks here and there, but knowing that somewhere in all the code there is a fix for any problem, and that I can get to it is very comforting for me. 

Funny thing is, with Linux I've spent more in donations than I ever paid for Windows operating systems.  No idea how much loose change I've spent of Windows based software.

#2267 2012-03-04 15:49:54

archmagus

Hi everyone,

I am the newest entrant to the Arch.. just installed it today. I am quite new to Linux (started using it only 2 months back). This is going to be a big challenge smile The Arch wiki has been a great help.

I look forward to being part of the community.and (hopefully) contributing to Arch.

#2268 2012-03-04 17:51:24

AnimaInvicta

In case anyone actually reads this: I'm not exactly a newbie since I've been using Arch for over a year (first on coLinux then, since Christmas, "for real") and Linux in one form or another for four and a half years, learning the whole time.
So: not an old hand or any kind of expert, but not a noob either.
I'm a fan of Linux, alternative OSes in general, the command line and almost anything with bytes, basically.
I hope I can help enrich the community (awesome wiki, by the way, though I expect you already knew that!). As a token, I'm working on a bash script called Arch Linux Pacman Proxy Script, for updating an offline Arch box. When it's finished, I'll post it somewhere here.
So, ciao!

#2269 2012-03-04 22:48:53

JoshuaJolley

Hello! 

I am almost as new to Linux as you can get.  I've had my main desktop dual-booting into Ubuntu for several years, but I never really used it much.  I have re-awakened my desire to learn Linux and Lifehacker.com suggested that this was a good "trail by fire" method.  Here is hoping things go well!  (Sadly, it took me about 10 minutes to answer the question to register because I was missing the " ' " at the end of the sed command.  (Yes, I'm that new)

#2270 2012-03-04 22:49:39

JoshuaJolley

AnimaInvicta wrote:

In case anyone actually reads this: I'm not exactly a newbie since I've been using Arch for over a year (first on coLinux then, since Christmas, "for real") and Linux in one form or another for four and a half years, learning the whole time.
So: not an old hand or any kind of expert, but not a noob either.
I'm a fan of Linux, alternative OSes in general, the command line and almost anything with bytes, basically.
I hope I can help enrich the community (awesome wiki, by the way, though I expect you already knew that!). As a token, I'm working on a bash script called Arch Linux Pacman Proxy Script, for updating an offline Arch box. When it's finished, I'll post it somewhere here.
So, ciao!

I read it.  smile  Good luck on the script!

#2271 2012-03-06 01:36:36

hsngrms
Website

Hi all Archers,

I've used ArchBang for months but finally moved out to Arch Linux and installed Openbox for my needs and tastes.

Sorry for my English. I'm not a native speaker.

#2272 2012-03-06 03:21:59

MrTomLegit

Hey guys Im 18 years old and will be starting college for computer science in the fall and have been using general linux distros for about 3 years so i figured time to grow a pair and try out arch.

#2273 2012-03-06 17:24:03

sinorev

I have been running Arch Linux for the last few weeks and really like it. Prior to Arch, I ran Debian stable for many years. Hi everyone!

John

#2274 2012-03-06 17:32:29

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator:  Merged sinorev's post with the main thread

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2275 2012-03-06 18:07:07

sinorev

Heh ewaller was quick on the draw =P

Last edited by sinorev (2012-03-06 18:07:20)

Board footer