You are not logged in.

#2451 2012-05-24 23:11:32

LinuxFrenzy

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello to all Archers out there.I finally decided to take the plunge and use Arch and to my amazement it really isn't that difficult to set it up if you follow the wiki.And now I'm running Arch+XFCE to my liking.Although it took me couple hours to have everything setup to my liking it was all well worth it.So thanks to everyone behind Arch.

#2452 2012-05-27 09:57:28

RaptoX

Hey lads

installed Arch+xfce4+compiz on my Dell XPS 15 a couple of days ago. Took me some time though, to get it all running. Now that finally almost "everything" is working the way i want, i can say just one thing.....

It's beautiful smile

Arch Linux 3.3.7-1
Dell XPS 15
Xfce4 + compiz

#2453 2012-05-28 13:30:22

seayatou

Hello everyone,I am new to the FORUM but not linux and english.

In past, I tryed linux distrobution include ret hat 9.0 =>  fedora => debian => archlinux ,I think I am lucky to get here,and get arch which maybe means 'my owne linux distrobution', because i can tweak it as well as a TOY I played in my childhood.

Thanks to the desginer and controbuter of arch,maybe one day I would be a controbuter of the beautiful linux distrobution...

#2454 2012-05-28 18:33:38

INITIATIO

Hi,

after getting my computer hacked, recently, through adobe flash I realized what a unsafe, broken POS win was (and this coming from someone who has been using it since 3.11), no matter how many services I turned off, how much I regedited, that thing remained a exploitable mess.

I jumped ship to linux, ubuntu, as that was pretty much "linux" for me.

I can't really say anything bad about ubuntu as it worked exceptionally well, but the interface started to get to me after a while. That bar on top was what killed it for me, I found a way to disable it but then it was a pain whenever I needed to go to 'view' or having to right click to quit programs...

Then I saw a laptop running arch linux... mind you it was used by a someone doing IT work for a living, I used it and what I saw in it was pure elegance and beauty.

One knows when one is in the presence of art, be it a painting or a movie, this thing in that computer was no mere operating system, it was art in code form.

Be that as it may when I told the guy I wanted that system he told me to stick with ubuntu as what he had there at taken him countless hours to setup.

I know that this system I have in mind is going to be quite difficult to achieve, yet one must try.

I want to deploy arch linux in 10 laptops, first I will do a setup one and from that one hopefully get a ISO so I can install it on others.

What I have in mind is arch linux with openbox and the elementary theme, chromium as a browser and vlc as a multimedia player... now I know I'm going to need a lot more stuff to make this work.

So someone with weeks of ubuntu experience is going to attempt to setup arch from the ground up ... all for art

Last edited by INITIATIO (2012-05-28 18:36:04)

#2455 2012-05-28 21:46:22

gerard82

Hello "Archers",
I am a retiree and have been using Linux for quite a while.
I have Gentoo as my main OS,no Windows.
I thought that installing Arch would be a breeze for someone with my experience.
It wasn't but I got it working now.
I might switch,getting tired of compile times.
My biggest problem was that I couldn't read the docs during the install.
I read the item on how to install Arch from Gentoo but pacman compile in Gentoo errored out twice.
Gerard.

#2456 2012-05-29 17:25:00

scanline

Hello! I;ve been using Linux on and off for about 10 years now - About 2 weeks ago I installed arch on my laptop, but it took me a full two days to get everything working right. I really liked Arch and the "Arch Way," but It seemed to me that the system was just too fragile, so after spending all that time, I went looking for something else. I spent the next few days trying out different distros, but, I noticed that as I used them, I compared each one to Arch. So I decided to accept what I was telling myself and I spent this last weekend installing arch on my servers and laptop. The more I use the systems, the more I appreciate the Arch way.

I do have one thing that I really want to say, though... You guys are absolutely amazing. With every issue I came across I was very quickly able to find a solution within the forums or wiki. That was one of the major reasons why I decided to stick with it. So, thanks for all your help, direct and indirect and I'm looking forward to digging into Arch.

#2457 2012-05-31 06:22:27

x371322

Just droppin' in to say hi. I'll make this short. Long time Linux user, first time with Arch. I've already fallen in love. So far I guess that makes me a Windows>Mac>Ubuntu>Arch switcher. Can't wait to really get my hands dirty.

#2458 2012-06-01 19:42:40

Infrared

First time Linux user, first time Arch user. I mentioned to a good friend of mine who's a great programmer and general computer genius that I wanted more experience really getting to know computers and operating systems. He decided to throw me into the deep end and let me fend for myself with Arch. He said if I can make it through a steep learning curve, I'd have a lot of great experience and valuable understanding that I just wouldn't get on other systems.

Going is slow, but it's fun exploring my system, trouble shooting, and getting problems solved.

#2459 2012-06-01 20:13:49

pan

Hello! I've been using Linux for a couple of years now, but just recently installed Arch. As a physicist (field=nuclear physics) and a computer enthusiast I like to have control over my equipment and Arch makes that possible. Enjoy!

#2460 2012-06-02 18:40:21

tuxracer

Hello fellow Archers! I feel quite at home with Arch and I have been using it for less than 6 months.
I'm using Xfce. I'm a systems developer by profession.

#2461 2012-06-02 20:12:11

awannabeee

hello all;
i should probably be using, well, you know, that other system, but got tired of this and that. any way, my good machine is running FAH so i pulled out a pent. III box and Arch with Xfce is smokin, try that with those other guys. Awesome system. Wikis are so good i gave up on some of the other distros, well and they break pretty easy too. AUR rocks too thanks all.
     george!

#2462 2012-06-05 15:07:36

AyeCapn

Hey gang,

I'm a new devotee to Arch after trying to use Linux to resurrect an old, slightly dead laptop. Windows XP and Windows 7 wouldn't recognize the keyboard or trackpad anymore. Started with Ubuntu and its derivatives but never got the trackpad working. Arch is the only distro so far where all the hardware works out of the box and I am absolutely LOVING how much I am learning and how fast it is coming.

One month in now of goofing around with VMs and constant reinstalls and I am really having a blast doing it. I'm settled in on LXDE for my main DE and playing with Cinnamon to really make things look pretty.

My wife is not as enamoured as I am. Her loss really. My couch is super comfy!

Pete smile

"I just don't know what went wrong" - Derpy

#2463 2012-06-06 02:42:45

yescamescal

Hello everyone!

I`m currently working in the IT department of a college! But besides that I`m brand new to arch, and eager to jump in. I`ve had about 6 years of experience with linux distros (recently more serious) and i`ve come to the point where I really want to take control of my computer and to know it in a way that few do, by being totally in control of my software. I`m first installing arch in a VM so that I may get my initial configuration mistakes out of the way and get the feel for the system, I look forward to reading, writing (maybe someday) contributing to the site and really getting into arch.

#2464 2012-06-06 15:06:18

oselotti

Hi, I've been using Arch Linux for six months now and I like it. I tried Linux for the first time in 2009 when I installed ubuntu 9.10 to my old laptop. Since then I have tried nearly all of the most popular Linux distributions. My personal favorites are Arch and Debian.

#2465 2012-06-07 20:26:31

snowsnake

Hello everyone!

My name's Adam, I live in Sweden with wife, kids and dog.

I finally got fed up with Windows and decided to install linux once and for all. Totally blue eyed and green, I decided to try out Arch Linux(!) And even though it was quite hard for me to even get it installed at first. I've come to really like it.

Sure, I know that it's not a distro meant for total newcomers to the linux world, but I figure that if it's meant for experts and I manage to learn it somehow. Then I'll end up an expert as well. And a lot faster than if I'd chosen an easier distro. wink

Really looking forward to get to know everyone smile

#2466 2012-06-09 10:16:37

nabukadnezar43

Hello everyone. It appears it took me a little while to send my first post smile. I've been using the official irc channel quite often and decided to be more active here.

#2467 2012-06-11 23:14:45

AndyP

Hi all , For the last ten years ive been trying different flavours of distro's and keeping windblows as my main and as a backup incase things went wrong with hardware issues etc.. (and they did!) lol but never gave up.
Been on Kubuntu for last three years but decided to take the plunge and install Arch on a seperate drive.

I have to admit it wasn't the easiest distro iv'e installed and getting KDE to run with my Nvidia card took some patience and wiki reading but ive got there in the end.
But the one big and best thing about this distro is that iv'e learnt more about linux with Arch than all the others put together.

#2468 2012-06-12 23:31:16

srlang

Hey,

I'm relatively new to Linux as a whole, only about 15 months under my belt.
I will be installing Arch as a challenge and learning experience. I am in the process of getting a new laptop specifically for that purpose so that I can have a safety net for school work when I inevitably do something stupid and need to either wipe the system or spend days fixing the issue. So, until then, I'll keep researching the install procedure to minimize the shock of initial setup.

#2469 2012-06-13 02:45:26

felixculpa

Hello everyone,

I've been fiddling with linux distros for awhile: Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Puppy, Chakra, openSUSE, Bodhi, Crunchbang, Archbang and finally the vanilla Arch install with xmonad WM where I plan on staying for awhile. I've had a few bumps along the way with Arch but I finally have a stable, clean, simple system that does everything I need it to do, and am completely satisfied with it. I love being in complete control over my system, knowing how it works and how to fix it when something goes wrong is alot of fun and I'm enjoying the ride in learning and administrating.

#2470 2012-06-13 16:48:21

uzsolt

Hello everyone!

I'm using linux about 8 years. I've tried many distributions and now using Arch, about half year.

#2471 2012-06-13 20:46:57

Saunabad

Good evening.

Using Arch almost exclusively since 2006 or 2007, little bit SUSE and Ubuntu before that. I currently have HTPC, desktop and two laptops running Arch Linux. Just did a fresh install on latest one and thought I'd finally register to the forum smile

#2472 2012-06-14 04:19:22

Regulus

Hello everyone,

I'm not actually new to Linux, as I am using it as my one and only OS since 2002. This doesn't mean that I am experienced, because most of the time I was the typical 'plain user'. wink .
Starting with SuSE I changed to Kubuntu and then - looking for a rolling release distro - I found Arch, where I landed just a year ago.

Last edited by Regulus (2012-06-14 04:19:40)

#2473 2012-06-14 08:38:06

Polyphony

It's only right to post in this forum so...

printf("Hello World!!!\n")<<endl;

hehe...

I'm John, Nobody is going to read this, there are 101 other pages of posts you could be reading...

I installed arch linux on my HP Pavillion a1514n 2GB of RAM and a Pentium IV Processor that has seen better days, but thanks to Arch, it's running KDE as fast as it runs LXDE!!! :-P i <3 ARCH!!!

@R(|-|   r0(|<Zz!!!

#2474 2012-06-14 09:20:56

SanskritFritz
Website

Polyphony wrote:

I'm John, Nobody is going to read this

Hi John, welcome to Arch smile

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#2475 2012-06-15 06:25:22

kopijawa

Hi

Board footer