bt

Re: FaunOS: New Release Available

re: pppd. I did not know it existed. I will try it
Thanks

#27 2007-06-07 21:33:07

lilsirecho
Veteran

Your recommendation produced the session save of opera and vlc entered via ...sudo pacman-S opera vlc....

Thanks for the help!:)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#28 2007-06-08 01:52:19

raymano
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

Your recommendation produced the session save of opera and vlc entered via ...sudo pacman-S opera vlc....

Any time.

Now click around. Stick in other USB devices. Listen to shoutcast music on Amarok. Sync your ipod. Watch some DVDs. Backup some DVDs with k9copy and burn'm with k3b. Look up your house on Google Earth. Share your pictures with Picasa. And, and, and, ....

smile

Thanks for stickin' around.

Last edited by raymano (2007-06-08 04:39:47)

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#29 2007-06-08 05:40:04

lilsirecho
Veteran

Desire to enable swap on a USB flash device after booting into faunos.

Not permitted to do so as guest.........................

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#30 2007-06-08 12:30:40

raymano
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

Desire to enable swap on a USB flash device after booting into faunos.

Not permitted to do so as guest.........................

Yes. This is by design. If you like to allow guest to do it there are 2 ways.

1) As root do:
chmod 4755 /sbin/swapon /sbin/swapoff

or
2) As root, using visudo, add /sbin/swapon and /sbin/swapoff to the list of operations allowed by guest. This will allow you to do "sudo swapon /dev/sdb3" or "sudo swapoff /dev/sdb2" as guest:

guest    ALL=(ALL)     NOPASSWD:/etc/rc.d/networkmanager,/etc/rc.d/ipw3945d,/usr/bin/network_reset,/usr/bin/jacman,
/usr/bin/pacman,/opt/kde/bin/knetwork_reset,/sbin/rmmod,/sbin/modprobe,/opt/kde/bin/video_driver_setup,
/usr/bin/archin,/usr/sbin/qtparted,/usr/bin/gparted,/sbin/swapon,sbin/swapoff

And, off course, to make it permanent, make sure to save your session at shutdown or reboot.

In general, this can be done for any operation that guest is not allowed to do. I like the sudo way better.

Last edited by raymano (2007-06-08 12:40:22)

#31 2007-06-08 16:23:30

lilsirecho
Veteran

My experience in all Linux has been as root for eight to ten years.

I am unfamiliar with sudo operations and visudo I have never seen before.

I assumed that the code presented could be copied and ran as guest.

It produced a ....."syntax error near unexpected token '('  "

The code does not include visudo...

How can I run the chmod code as root when I am guest?

The entry of visudo requires an argument.

Don't have a clue as to what that is....

#32 2007-06-08 16:39:32

raymano
Website

You do know that you can su to root with password root and do anything you want, right?

#33 2007-06-08 16:50:38

lilsirecho
Veteran

News to me.....

#34 2007-06-08 17:09:21

raymano
Website

Sorry. I must have not been clear enough. I had posted it earlier and it's on the web site too.

As you suggested earlier I will make the default usernames and passwords clear at boot time for the next release.

I will mention it here one more time:

Default usernames and passwords for FaunOS are:

Username: guest
Password: guest

Username: root
Password: root

I apologize for the confusion.

#35 2007-06-08 19:06:28

bt

I figured out the problem with internet login ...I had to configure /etc/rc.conf.

I will now proceed to turn FaunOS into a business distro for all of my business needs: total stability, portability, connectivity, etc. Will keep you posted.

Very, very nice!!

Last edited by bt (2007-06-08 20:23:47)

#36 2007-06-08 21:03:42

lilsirecho
Veteran

I think you might mean ......su root....password root.... after boot-up which is what I referred to.

#37 2007-06-08 22:12:03

raymano
Website

bt wrote:

I figured out the problem with internet login ...I had to configure /etc/rc.conf.

I will now proceed to turn FaunOS into a business distro for all of my business needs: total stability, portability, connectivity, etc. Will keep you posted.

Very, very nice!!

Great!

The unique feature of FaunOS is that it provides the simplest way of remastering a live distribution. All live distro remastering instructions out there require huge disk space. FaunOS doesn't need that and basically performs the customization in memory before saving the session.

Here are the steps:

- Boot up into FaunOS.
- install any additional packages with pacman
- remove any unwanted packages with pacman
- Reconfigure apps anyway you desire
- At the end shutdown and save your session to your USB.

And Voila! You have just remastered a live distribution.

Last edited by raymano (2007-06-09 00:21:30)

#38 2007-06-10 07:40:47

lanerman211

Hi, I like the concept of what you are doing just fine, as a live-CD install environment, becuase lets face it, mass deplyment of arch using base install CD's is an insane idea. Why use the same exact software and configuration on the live CD as what gets installed to the hard drive? All that auto-configuration is unnessecary once it gets to the hard drive. Case in point: using xorg -configure at boot, how many times has xorg -configure not worked, or in some cases destroyed monitors. It sort of works on my test rig but the monitor makes a loud hissing noise and the letters are very tiny. Why not use a "safe" monitor setting that works on CRTs and LCDs(i think so) such as hsync 31.5-48.5 ,vsync  50-100? Please consider it. In the mean time I would like a satifactory workaround such as finding where you put xorg -configure, and removing that line from my computer's configuration, or you can tell me, I'm tired of looking, and I don't know enough about all the changes you did to find it right away. Oh and if that monitor setting doesn't work on LCDs you might give the user the choice at boot-up to choose between a safe configuration for LCDs or one for CRTs, they should know at least which of the two kinds of monitors they have

-George Lane

#39 2007-06-10 12:34:29

raymano
Website

Hi George,

Thanks for trying out FaunOS. I agree with you 100%. If there is a better way of automatically configuring X we are all for it.

We have discussed a similar issue as yours with the LCD in this thread (post #15). Here it is again:

Currently xorg.conf gets overlayed so that is automatically generated at each boot by Xorg -configure. But I can see in a case like yours this is not a good thing. However there is a work around which I might include permenantly in the next release depending on how widespread your issue is.

Before rebooting FaunOS, copy your working /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/myxorg.conf

Add the following line to your /etc/rc.local :

Code:

cp /etc/X11/myxorg.cong /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Reboot and save session. On the next bootup you should get your xorg.conf.

Do you think that the main problem with the Xorg -configure is in setting up the monitors and specifically LCD displays? I do want to avoid setting the default configuration to the "vesa" driver at 1024x768 like a lot of distros do. We can create a script that sets the hsync and vsync monitor values with the default values that you have suggested, right after Xorg -configure is done and before X is started. Would this solve the issue?

I am also open for any other recommendation regarding auto configuration of X.

Thanks,
Raymano

Last edited by raymano (2007-06-10 12:47:56)

#40 2007-06-10 12:45:53

raymano
Website

Here's some more info regarding X auto configuration at startup:

In FaunOS take a look at /usr/bin/mkxorgconf. Here's it's contents:

#!/bin/bash
Xorg -configure &> /dev/null
mv /xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf &> /dev/null

This script runs right before kdm is started. As you see it is very simple.

If any one has a better way of auto configuring X please post a replacement for mkxorgconf here and if it works it will go into the next release of FaunOS.

Thanks

Last edited by raymano (2007-06-10 12:53:38)

#41 2007-06-10 14:09:17

bt

Up and running. I have successfully added all the optional packages I need. (Why does skype sound better when run from FaunOS?).

Two remaining questions:
1. If I want to copy anything from a cd or dvd in a second drive, do I have to configure /mnt to show the second drive? What steps are needed? How is the second dvd or cd drive recognized for playing dvds or cds?
2. If I want to copy something from my hard drive, Is that possible?

With the addition of personal and business files, all I need is a computer with a dvd drive that boots.

#42 2007-06-10 14:34:21

raymano
Website

Hey bt,

Well, I can't tell you why skype sounds better in FaunOS but I'm happy to hear that smile

Your questions:

On the FaunOS desktop there is an icon titled "Storage Devices". When plugged in, all storage devices are automatically recognized by FaunOS and you can see them in this folder. This includes any cd drives, dvd drives, local hard drives, usb drives, etc.

So to your first question, you don't have to do anything. You should see your second DVD/cd drives here. When you click on a storage device it is automatically mounted onto /media/disk. The next device that's clicked on is mount  to /media/disk-1 and etc. If the media has a label for example a hard drive that has a partition with label "myharddrive" it will be mounted to /media/myharddrive. This happens through the magic of kde and the hardware abstraction layer (hal).

Your second question: Absolutely. You should see an icon for your local hard drive in "Storage Devices". You'll notice a tiny red dot at the buttom right of the icon. This means that the device is not mounted. Click on your hard drive icon and it is automatically mounted read/write. A konqueror window pops up for the newly mounted hd. Also you'll notice the little red dot changes to green.

FYI: You can also read and write safely to ntfs partitions. FaunOS uses NTFS-3G drivers for ntfs partitions.

Last edited by raymano (2007-06-10 14:36:29)

#43 2007-06-10 15:16:30

lanerman211

Raymano: maybe there are command line customizations for Xorg -configure or X -configure, not sure yet, I'll look into it. But at the onset of system initiation, IE the boot loader, you could have the user choose between LCD or CRT and you could also try loading a test x-window of a screen specification for a certain amount of time and letting the user click in a box if this setting is alright (he probably won't if he can't see it) then loading a different, more safer one to see if the user clicks that box that time, and so forth.

#44 2007-06-10 15:21:54

lanerman211

Also, when you make a new acount how do you get the fancy pull-up menu to work that you see in the guest account?
-George Lane

#45 2007-06-10 15:25:04

raymano
Website

lanerman211 wrote:

Raymano: maybe there are command line customizations for Xorg -configure or X -configure, not sure yet, I'll look into it. But at the onset of system initiation, IE the boot loader, you could have the user choose between LCD or CRT and you could also try loading a test x-window of a screen specification for a certain amount of time and letting the user click in a box if this setting is alright (he probably won't if he can't see it) then loading a different, more safer one to see if the user clicks that box that time, and so forth.

I can definitely split the grub boot options for LCD and CRT and configure X based on what was chosen at boot. And I guess I'll make the CRT the default. My goal is to have no input from the user in the middle of the boot process. What do you think?

#46 2007-06-10 15:27:10

raymano
Website

lanerman211 wrote:

Also, when you make a new acount how do you get the fancy pull-up menu to work that you see in the guest account?
-George Lane

Which fancy pull-up menu?

#47 2007-06-10 15:39:43

raymano
Website

I have created our own forums. You can get to them at http://forum.faunos.com. Please try it out and give me feedback. I will wait for your feedback before making it our official forum.

Thanks,
Raymano

Last edited by raymano (2007-06-10 15:40:14)

#48 2007-06-10 15:59:45

bt

I'll try out your forums..

But, I have an lcd monitor (a widescreen 20 inch Dell, which is recognized perfectly). I hope, in the attempt to simplify things, you don't make them simpler for some and more difficult for others. My guess is that looking forward, LCDs will be in the majority. Will you be able to set it once, and have that setting remebered?

#49 2007-06-10 16:32:30

raymano
Website

bt wrote:

I'll try out your forums..

But, I have an lcd monitor (a widescreen 20 inch Dell, which is recognized perfectly). I hope, in the attempt to simplify things, you don't make them simpler for some and more difficult for others. My guess is that looking forward, LCDs will be in the majority. Will you be able to set it once, and have that setting remebered?

Rest assured any new thing changed or added in FaunOS will be done to further simplify it. We will not change or add anything that majority of users think will further complicate things.

I like the "Keep It Simple Stupid" (KISS) principle. However I have seen it change to "Keep It Stupid Simple" in a lot of distros, and we will try to avoid "stupid" things.

Last edited by raymano (2007-06-10 16:33:08)

#50 2007-06-10 21:10:57

A.I. BOT

Looks fantastic, unfortunately, I only have a 2GB iPod.

Is it possiable to put this on my iPod and boot up? (every time I try to put a linux on my iPod, some residual firmware from apple is still on there or something else and my comp wont boot it, it just freezes at BIOS screen).

If not, I dont have a DVD burner, is their a way I can install it onto a spare 10GB parition I have to try it out? Maybe dd the usb .img to the partition?

Thanks.

Last edited by A.I. BOT (2007-06-10 21:57:03)

Board footer