You are not logged in.

#76 2007-08-17 14:35:37

xsdnyd

Re:  

Cerebral wrote:

Then you might want to remove the confusing part I quoted, saying "Here's a sample config file, etc..."

oh yeah thanks, i made a stupid copy+paste wink

We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

#77 2007-08-17 16:39:24

stjepan

Re:  

Last edited by stjepan (2022-09-20 21:42:36)

#78 2007-08-23 22:19:23

picca

Re:  

Hi there! I've already post this to Stjepan on another forum. So I'll just simply copy & paste it here:

Hi there! I have to say, that you've done really nice work with this. Although nothing is perfect and I have few answers / suggestion about stjerm:

1. Stjerm is absolutely ignoring my ~/.stjermrc
   2. Tilda has very nice feature to disable "allow bold text". Because I'd like to use small font e.g: 8px. Bold texts are completely unreadable. Will stjerm support "disable bold text"?
   3. I'm using openbox + xfce4-panel and if stjerm pops up at bottom (where is my xfce4-panel) firstly it draws black rectangle bigger than stjerm itself and than the overlaping black rectangle disapears. I think that this is because stjerm tries to render itself to not cover the xfce4-panel. But after full redraw it covers the panel. Sorry for my english, I really don't know how to describe it better
   4. IMHO I think it would be better if tabs will always expand to full width. Now I can see quite ugly white area at the right of the tabs.
   5. Is there a way to always show tabs? Even if there is only 1? I really would appriciate it, because I use gentoo and in the tabs I can see progress of emerge
   6. When I press ctrl+shift+T new tab opens and it prints out ^T
   7. How can I make my transparent background tint to some color? I used -bg xxxxxx, and transparency set to 50%, but it is still tinted only to black. (I'm using only pseudo-transparency)

So, good job, keep working!

#79 2007-08-24 00:05:15

twiistedkaos

Re:  

picca wrote:

Hi there! I've already post this to Stjepan on another forum. So I'll just simply copy & paste it here:

Hi there! I have to say, that you've done really nice work with this. Although nothing is perfect and I have few answers / suggestion about stjerm:

2. Tilda has very nice feature to disable "allow bold text". Because I'd like to use small font e.g: 8px. Bold texts are completely unreadable. Will stjerm support "disable bold text"?
   3. I'm using openbox + xfce4-panel and if stjerm pops up at bottom (where is my xfce4-panel) firstly it draws black rectangle bigger than stjerm itself and than the overlaping black rectangle disapears. I think that this is because stjerm tries to render itself to not cover the xfce4-panel. But after full redraw it covers the panel. Sorry for my english, I really don't know how to describe it better
   4. IMHO I think it would be better if tabs will always expand to full width. Now I can see quite ugly white area at the right of the tabs.
   5. Is there a way to always show tabs? Even if there is only 1? I really would appriciate it, because I use gentoo and in the tabs I can see progress of emerge
   7. How can I make my transparent background tint to some color? I used -bg xxxxxx, and transparency set to 50%, but it is still tinted only to black. (I'm using only pseudo-transparency)

1. Newest version of stjerm does not use the .stjermrc file anymore, it uses Xdefautls like most other terminals. stjerm --info for options that you can place in .xdefaults
2. No comment
3. Again, stjerm --info, or stjerm -p top
4. It's opensource, you can add that yourself and release the patch smile
5. Again, stjerm --info
6. No comment
7. No comment

#80 2007-08-24 06:56:11

xsdnyd

Re:  

hi picca,
2., 4. will be implemented
6. known bug
3., 7. will look into it

thx twiistedkaos for promoting the changes smile

Last edited by xsdnyd (2007-08-24 08:01:44)

#81 2007-08-26 03:08:02

twiistedkaos

Re:  

Hmm, for some reason stjerm isn't reading my .Xdefualts

sjterm.width: 10
sjterm.key: f2
sjterm.height: 10

#82 2007-08-26 09:16:51

xsdnyd

Re:  

twiistedkaos: try changing "sjterm" to "stjerm"

smile

#83 2007-08-26 09:31:48

shining
Pacman Developer

Re:  

xsdnyd wrote:

twiistedkaos: try changing "sjterm" to "stjerm"

Huh, I always read sjterm also .. Didn't notice until now.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#84 2007-08-27 16:40:16

picca

Re:  

twiistedkaos wrote:
picca wrote:

1. Newest version of stjerm does not use the .stjermrc file anymore, it uses Xdefautls like most other terminals. stjerm --info for options that you can place in .xdefaults
2. No comment
5. Again, stjerm --info
6. No comment
7. No comment

1. Ohh, I'm sorry. I must missed that info.
2. stjerm -p top places stjerm to the top of the screen. This works fine, but stjerm looks like it wants to place itself below my panel (it draws black rectangle for a short time). Than, when it draws out the "graphics", it draws itself topmost, and covers the panel. And finally, when everything is drawn. This small rest of the "black background" disappears. I don't know if it is a feature to cover the panel, or not. But I think it is a bug, when the black part is bigger than it has to be.
4. Ok, no questions about that smile But for example if I run command like: "emerge --ask --verbose mozilla-thunderbird mozilla-firefox vlc mplayer mplayerplug-in etc...." This whole command is displayed in a tab label, and everything I have is one loooong tab (plus side arrows of course). My opinion is that it doesn't look nice. But no pressure smile

#85 2007-08-27 17:40:47

twiistedkaos

Re:  

picca wrote:
twiistedkaos wrote:
picca wrote:

2. No comment
5. Again, stjerm --info
6. No comment
7. No comment

2. stjerm -p top places stjerm to the top of the screen. This works fine, but stjerm looks like it wants to place itself below my panel (it draws black rectangle for a short time). Than, when it draws out the "graphics", it draws itself topmost, and covers the panel. And finally, when everything is drawn. This small rest of the "black background" disappears. I don't know if it is a feature to cover the panel, or not. But I think it is a bug, when the black part is bigger than it has to be.
4. Ok, no questions about that smile But for example if I run command like: "emerge --ask --verbose mozilla-thunderbird mozilla-firefox vlc mplayer mplayerplug-in etc...." This whole command is displayed in a tab label, and everything I have is one loooong tab (plus side arrows of course). My opinion is that it doesn't look nice. But no pressure smile

1. No comment
2. Seems like a buffer problem, doesn't happen to me. Post your system specs
4. Why are you using Ubuntu?! lol, anyways, thats a bug.

#86 2007-08-27 19:00:02

picca

Re:  

twiistedkaos wrote:
picca wrote:
twiistedkaos wrote:

2. No comment
5. Again, stjerm --info
6. No comment
7. No comment

1. No comment
2. Seems like a buffer problem, doesn't happen to me. Post your system specs
4. Why are you using Ubuntu?! lol, anyways, thats a bug.

2. Linux localhost 2.6.21-gentoo-r4 #7 SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug 14 18:04:54 CEST 2007 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux --> Did you mean this? It happens with xfce4-panel (in "fixed position" mode) and stjerm on the top of the screen. Simply keep F1 (or whatever shortcut do you in stjerm use). Have some app opened below (firefox for example). If you focus few pixels below the blinkiing stjerm, there should appear the "black box".
4. Ubuntu? Why do you think so? As you can see I'm on Gentoo.

#87 2007-08-27 19:44:07

xsdnyd

Re:  

2. i can't reproduce it...
i'm having an xfce-panel on the bottom of the screen in fixed mode with full width. i press the stjerm button and it just appears normally...

#88 2007-08-28 14:43:57

picca

Re:  

2) Ok, I learned howto make motion screen capture, so here is my http://upload.pudr.com/picca/stjerm.mpeg record. The area is white, my bad. I should test it in XFCE, or with other panels too. But not today, I have no time for that, sorry.

#89 2007-08-28 18:32:55

twiistedkaos

Re:  

picca wrote:

2) Ok, I learned howto make motion screen capture, so here is my http://upload.pudr.com/picca/stjerm.mpeg record. The area is white, my bad. I should test it in XFCE, or with other panels too. But not today, I have no time for that, sorry.

hmm I see, can't reproduce that problem on my system though.

Last edited by twiistedkaos (2007-08-28 18:33:38)

#90 2007-08-29 08:01:08

twiistedkaos

Re:  

Eh think I may have found a bug. Stjerm by default hides when you click out of it, but if you have more than one tab open this no longer happens which is quite annoying for me. I tried giving a quick look through the source to find the problem but had no luck doing so. It only happens when you have more than 1 tab open, and even if you close all tabs stjerm refuses to hide when clicked out of.

edit:
this seems to happen no rare occassions, not every time. I'll try to find what is making it do this.

Last edited by twiistedkaos (2007-08-29 08:02:02)

#91 2007-08-31 18:06:15

xsdnyd

Re:  

@picca,
i don't know what is causing your drawing bug, i haven't find anything suspicious in the source...
do you have the border enabled? if so, try to disable it. is the drawing bug then still present?

also 2., 4., 7.: are added in svn now, so only wait for the next version smile (or compile from svn manually)

@twiistedkaos
i know what you mean, i got this bug a few hours ago... really strange. i will look into it...

Last edited by xsdnyd (2007-08-31 18:41:25)

#92 2007-09-01 19:45:44

xsdnyd

Re:  

Hi,
Version 0.10 is ready!

Here is the AUR package http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … hans=&SeB=

Here is the targz archive with PKGBUILD and stjerm.install file:
http://download.gna.org/stjerm/stjerm.tar.gz

If you don't want to use AUR or makepkg, here is the source archive:
http://download.gna.org/stjerm/stjerm-0.10.tar.gz

changelog:

- added english manpage
- added "keymod" option to set the modifiers for keyboard shortcuts
- added tinting of background image with background color
- added "allowbold" option to enable/disable bold fonts
- added "tabfill" option to let tabs fill up all space
- added intelligent boolean value parsing (now "yes", "1" and "true" evalute to TRUE, and opposites evaluate to FALSE)
- small code cleanups

@picca: try the new "tabfill" and "allowbold" option smile
also the tinting now works with the right color.

new! try:

man stjerm

(available only in english)
wink

Last edited by xsdnyd (2007-09-01 19:51:04)

#93 2007-09-01 21:10:21

stjepan

Re:  

Last edited by stjepan (2022-09-20 21:41:20)

#94 2007-09-02 00:47:39

twiistedkaos

Re:  

Nice update, Will try soon. Lazy at the moment tongue

#95 2007-09-03 10:23:00

baeksu

Re:  

First, I'd like to thank xsdnyd for picking up the development of this terminal, it's quite lovely.

I have one small request, though. Currently, stjerm hides itself when it loses focus (i.e, mouse leaves window). Could you add an option to disable that? Sorry if it's already there, at least I couldn't find the option in the cli switches.

Thank you.

Gnome:
1. A legendary being.
2. A never ending quest to make unix friendly to people who don't want unix and excruciating for those that do.

#96 2007-09-03 10:50:58

xsdnyd

Re:  

@baeksu:
yeah i'll add that to the next release. smile

update:
it is in svn now. see "autohide" option smile

to build from svn:

svn co svn://svn.gna.org/svn/stjerm/trunk stjerm
cd stjerm
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install

or run make install as root if you don't use sudo.

but i'll recommend to wait for the next release, as the manual page will be copied to a wrong directory (/usr/share/man instead of /usr/man, which is arch default.) i don't know why this is happening.
but you can easily move it to the right directory with:

sudo mv /usr/share/man/man8/stjerm.8 /usr/man/man8/

Last edited by xsdnyd (2007-09-03 11:06:25)

#97 2007-09-07 07:03:48

baeksu

Re:  

Thank you for the quick fix. I did compile it from svn, and it's working great.

What I especially like is that stjerm is just a single bin file (ignoring the man pages, of course), so I can just copy the binary to my user's PATH, while I wait for the next release version.

Gnome:
1. A legendary being.
2. A never ending quest to make unix friendly to people who don't want unix and excruciating for those that do.

#98 2007-09-08 05:39:02

twiistedkaos

Re:  

Hmm, a nice feature I'd like to see would being able to change the background image of the terminal window.

#99 2007-09-25 22:53:27

zenix
Website

Re:  

Hi xsdnyd smile

I have a couple more features for you to possibly add tongue

1. Have stjerm --toggle be a literal toggle. I have OB map F12 to the command and whenever I hit it while sjterm is active & visible, it flashes away and then reappears. I'd like to have it just disappear when I hit F12 & stjerm is active
2. Could you add some type of reload configuration? I'm currently messing around with .Xdefaults and have to do a killall stjerm && stjerm. Not hard, but a call to stjerm with something like "stjerm --reconfigure" or "stjerm --reload" would be awesome for us tinkers.

Thanks for your hard work in creating the best terminal emulator out there!

EDIT
Also, could you PLEASE set it to only scroll on keyboard? I like to scroll up when another command is running so I can check something while my computer is doing something else, i.e. installing a new package while I check the output of a previous command. Most annoying with commands that output a progress bar as well. If I'm not mistaken, if a terminal's title is changed, the tab labels don't change as well. Could you add synchronization between the two?

Four ideas so far, a few more may be on the way tonguelol

Last edited by zenix (2007-09-26 01:58:04)

I made an AUR helper once.
I also go by evaryont and nogweii elsewhere on the internet.
Check out my projects and packages.

#100 2007-09-27 21:18:04

xsdnyd

Re:  

Hi,
just wanted to say that this project is not dead wink.
I look into the background image option and the options you suggested zenix.

In the next 14 days i am making holidays so there won't be any progress.

Last edited by xsdnyd (2007-09-27 21:18:44)

Board footer