You are not logged in.

#26 2004-07-06 19:15:24

cmf

Re: KPacman 0.2

Dusty wrote:

How am I doing Sarah?

LOL  lol

We'll i can type at a decent speed (not accuracy though wink), and i made kpacman for myself, wanted a pretty window, etc, i only released it so other people could benefit, and if we don't actively promote these tools to teh people enquiring about Arch i don't see teh detremental value (they will come expecting CLI and will learn of GUI...).
But anyways, meh, i'm not really too bothered at all about kpacman, it's turd wink

#27 2004-07-06 21:20:40

xerxes2
Website

cmf wrote:

What in it's title means it's an official frontend, the pacman reference? well that's because it's a KDE pacman frontend, but i suppose i could call it k-non-official-arch-linux-PACkage-MANager? Or is that too obscure?

hehehe..too long. cmf_ak_packager  is better.

Or if you expand the features, cmf_kontrolcenter , big_smile

or if someone make a 3d-opengl frontend , let's say that for each alien you kill you can install one package.  big_smile heck , if you make it through one level you get to syu.

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#28 2004-07-06 23:04:48

mavric

Dusty you have some good points, and I agree with you, but your words will fall upon deaf ears.

Ideally, a user friendly fork should be created... but I don't see it happening. It's much easier to create apps for an existing distro, than to create and maintain a new distro entirely. I suppose there are two solutions: Accept it, or entice a gui-man fan to step up and fork Arch.

So... pacman gui fans ... step up, I dare you big_smile

#29 2004-07-06 23:15:13

sarah31
Website

mavric wrote:

Ideally, a user friendly fork should be created...

why? there is already debian, mandrake, knoppix, etc.

So... pacman gui fans ... step up, I dare you big_smile

after you.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#30 2004-07-06 23:22:15

sarah31
Website

cmf wrote:

But i'm from the intergrationalist camp, the reason why there is a KDE specific pkg mananger is so that it intergrates with the desktop, rather than sticking out like a sore thumb (OO.o?).

there is no reason not to have the frontend but my question is why have several frontends when you could have one gui that possibly had the capabilities to be more integrated with the desktop they are using. (nice modular frontend with minimal depends abut the potential to support qt or whatever as a user desires)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#31 2004-07-07 10:01:26

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I think this GUI front-end must be more clearly defined...

to update my system is not really what I want ..

I would like to able to view packages that are installed (GUI )  & info about them...

but have control via CLI ...

I do not think if there was a GUI pacman (whatever) I would not use it....

Hell I may as well install Mandrake & alike, if I want to go down that route...

Mr Green

Mr Green

#32 2004-07-07 12:26:20

deepfreeze

sarah31 wrote:

yeah you are forgetting that your hovercraft is full of eels so it will take you a bit longer. to get to key in your two steps

You stay away from my hovercraft! I didn't know polar bears ate eels.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

#33 2004-07-07 15:32:17

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

#34 2004-07-07 17:43:23

sarah31
Website

we don't eat real eels ... just gummi eels (do they even exist?)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#35 2004-07-07 18:23:13

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

#36 2004-07-07 18:51:16

fragilek

Getting back on topic... wink

A fork is not necessarily a completely new distro. My theory would be to keep all the origional pacman repos (current, extra), and to have another repo containing the packages that make the UFA (User Friendly Arch) different from Arch itself.

The only maintaining needed would be for the numerous pacman frontends big_smile
...Have I just volunteered myself...?

PGP Key: 0xAA86325D
Email: fragile_k@myrealbox.com
Jabber: fragilek@jabber.org

#37 2004-07-07 19:23:07

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Yes...

Mr Green

Mr Green

#38 2004-07-07 19:27:09

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

fragilek wrote:

A fork is not necessarily a completely new distro.

Technically, a fork is a split, two items going on different paths, basically, a completely new distro.

What you are suggesting is just an extra repo. :-D I doubt such a thing would be part of the official arch repositories, but there's nothing stopping you from hosting a repository for non-efficient (user friendly) tools.  It could include GUI configuration tools like webmin as well as pacman frontends...

Doubt anybody else'll do it. :-P

Dusty

#39 2004-07-07 20:21:00

sarah31
Website

fragilek wrote:

a gui pacman is the topic not forking.

yes you have voluteered to create this whole new distro (as dusty said forks may have their roots in a particular camp but where they are headed takes them away from the original. if you look at the tines of a fork they may be parallel but they never meet)

oh yeah why hell is there a need for yet another linux distro (that attempts to be user friendly)?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#40 2004-07-07 22:44:32

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

It seems as though the people in favor of forking would like to do so to attract more users and make it user friendly. In my experiences spreading linux, people want it to be just like windows *shiver*. This also means making it do things that windows does, after all where else would you be attracting users?...Anyone that's already got a linux distro has probably already learned to use command line and regular arch would be fine for them. However, to add these features, the repos would have to get ALOT bigger....or create new repos for fork...who wants to take on that responsibility...
     Also, a gui to pacman is a great idea, however I think that it aught to be the second thing in the new fork's own repo (right after pacman), and doesnt belong in the arch that we've all come to know and love.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#41 2004-07-07 23:18:27

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

fragilek wrote:

Something that I've learned around here (and in any community that's as small as ours) is that if you want anything done you have to do it yourself.  Talk is very cheap on the internet and there will be lots of people who are willing to "type" behind you, but not many people willing to actually put time in to help.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#42 2004-07-07 23:20:50

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

well i'm not doin it...cuz i could care less if it gets done...arch is great the way it is thank you very much...just pointing out what would be needed for such a fork to be successful and also where this crazy gui pacman idea belongs...

#43 2004-07-08 01:56:41

Haakon

I'd just like to point out, in all fairness, that Arch is the single most user-friendly distro I've used. I'm a user, and it's very friendly to me (it gets to the point that I think it may be hitting on me). In fact, I think all the users of Arch think that Arch is friendly to them.

We should discuss newbie-friendlyness instead. If you want something like that, go for it; nothing's in your way. But you have to DO something. You know you can't get the Arch developers to change their philosophy, which made Arch what we love today, just because of something you write on a web forum smile

Arch is so small, community-wise, that it takes very little to make a difference. This makes talk even cheaper, and code even more valuable.

Jabber: haakon@jabber.org

#44 2004-07-08 03:47:18

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

neotuli wrote:

well i'm not doin it...cuz i could care less if it gets done..

couldn't care less! couldn't couldn't couldn't!!!! EVERYBODY messes up this phrase... what's it mean if you could care less... that you care a lot?  couldn't care less! couldn't!!

#45 2004-07-08 16:36:53

fragilek

I'm not a coder, but I'd be willing to bring it all together with some shell scripts big_smile I wasn't thinking of making a Windows-clone. Just a decent Linux distro that I could give to me pa to run :oops: -

Having said that, the most efficeint way of dragging people away from Windows is to provide them with a similar alternative. And the current crop of Windows-alikes suck.

*And* I could care less.  smile

PGP Key: 0xAA86325D
Email: fragile_k@myrealbox.com
Jabber: fragilek@jabber.org

#46 2004-07-08 17:54:11

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

EVERYBODY messes up this phrase...

I'd just like to point out that you, dusty, are included in everybody, as everybody is everybody, quite clearly you didnt exclude yourself from everybody and are part of the group termed "everybody", there's no way around that...

and I still couldn't care less whether or not the fork ends up getting done, though I admit that I'd be rather curious to see the result...

#47 2004-07-08 17:54:49

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

fragilek wrote:

Just a decent Linux distro that I could give to me pa to run :oops: -

I'm putting Arch on my family computer (been running mandrake for a couple years) in a week or so. I think it's better that way. My parents don't know shit about configuring Linux, but they don't know shit about configuring Windows either. Once I have that comp set up, they shouldn't have to configure anything.  Just in case, I'm going to add support for them to run an ssh daemon if they are having problems and I can log in remotely and fix things.  They're going to ask me for computer help regardless of what the system installed is. If it's Windows, I don't have enough knowledge to help them. If it's Mandrake, I don't really remember how that GUI shit works. If it's Arch, I do it myself, or know exactly what to tell them to type. (BTW, do you know how much easier it is to say "now type blah blah blah" than to say "ok, look for the menu item that has preferences or something like that in it, I don't remember if it's in the edit menu or the tools menu."?)

The two main kinds of computer users are those that are willing to learn, and those that are not. Arch is good for the former, and such users do not need GUI or anything like it. Computers in general are not good for the latter.

Having said that, the most efficeint way of dragging people away from Windows

And what the hell is the good of dragging people away frow Windows, tell me that? I get so sick of people saying that Linux has to be bigger Linux has to have more users blah blah blah.

Arch Linux is near perfect enough for me. You can argue that if there were more users, then the big corporations would develop drivers and programs for Linux, but who wants proprietary drivers and programs for Linux anyway?

#48 2004-07-08 18:18:21

xerxes2
Website

neotuli wrote:

EVERYBODY messes up this phrase...

I'd just like to point out that you, dusty, are included in everybody, as everybody is everybody, quite clearly you didnt exclude yourself from everybody and are part of the group termed "everybody", there's no way around that...

and I could still care less whether or not the fork ends up getting done, though I admit that I'd be rather curious to see the result...

it's couldn't care less....and the plural of moose is moose..... big_smile

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#49 2004-07-08 18:44:40

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I agree with Dusty...its down to him I no longer use icons...I can run my box from the keyboard quicker than using the mouse & now no longer fear the terminal.

(bows in respect)

Mr Green

Mr Green

#50 2004-07-08 20:27:43

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

meh *gives up trying to explain what he means* roll

Board footer