Firmicus
Forum Fellow

Re: TeX Live packages

eyolf wrote:

Arrgh...
[note to self: "Think before type, think before type, read the log, THEN post"]
Sorry.

No need to apologize!

BTW, texdoctk is not ideal to consult the documentation, as it is quite incomplete. If you install texlive-core-doc then I suggest you use texdoc from the terminal. But even better I think is to NOT install the documentation and rather access it online via http://tug.org/texlive/Contents/live/doc.html

#53 2007-09-14 11:04:28

eyolf
Website

Oh, I already have voted - not for all 61, I admit, but I'll atone a little more :-)
I actually liked texdoctk. The documentation seems to be a little all over the place (font installation guide under Tutorials/guides, etc.), and it's nice to have the graphical overview. And I really like having them on the harddisk. perhaps because I regularly spend time away from a net connection.

#54 2007-09-15 20:39:30

awagner

Hi all,
I have set up a wiki page describing an alternative approach here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TeXLive_from_iso
(What I'm doing is loop-mounting the iso file and run everything from there.)
I have read and agree to some extent with the arguments earlier in this or the "previous thread" about it not really being the Arch Way, but there are a couple of reasons for sticking with what I have now. At least, for me and for now that is...

Next thing is of course getting feedback. I have marked the page as stub, but it really is what I have been using on my system for a couple of weeks now and I don't think there's something important missing. I would be glad if any of you would have a look at it and maybe even test it. Of course, if there's something you think is bllsht, please tell me so, too.

Cheers,
Andreas

#55 2007-09-16 10:12:16

PDExperiment626

Hey guys... I just wanted to bring something up regarding voting for these packages. Has anyone checked in with a Dev/TU about voting for all 61 of these packages is an OK thing to do? Firmicus is essentially seeking to replace the one tetex package with a conglomeration of 61 packages; to a dev or TU this might look unnecessary and a possible ploy to inflate votes. I hope someone has made it clear to a Dev or TU why these packages are structured the way they are to prevent this.

On another note. I tried this list of packages a about two weeks ago for the last time. After running a build and install for the packages I used, I was getting weird errors in pdflatex compiles. Ultimately, the documents would eventually compile; but it took much longer than normal because it seemed that latex was looking through my home directory for missing fonts that it would eventually find in the /opt tex tree. I experienced this with both the svn and stable versions. I am sorry I do not have more details; but I was in a rush to just get latex working again as I am in the middle of writing a thesis. I also mentioned before that I could not get texlive to work with neither kile nor texmaker on a gnome system; latex compiles would always hang.

The only way I was really able to get everything working was to do the TeX standard install from the dvd iso; and then use a dummy package to replace the tetex one.

While I think firmicus has done an excellent job creating these packages; I've come under the impression that I'd prefer having a tetex-like installation procedure. I've tried various approaches to getting these packages to work as well as a standard ISO install; and I haven't been able to achieve this. As I said before, when these packages work; compiles take noticeably longer on my machine as latex spends a lot of time looking in the wrong place for my fonts.

In the end, using 61 packages for texlive I think is going to cause some grief down the road. It's great that Firmicus is willing to maintain them for the time being; but I don't see this set ever making it beyond community as no Dev is going to want to maintain 61 packages for essentially one core Arch program; and these packages are replacing tetex which is a base program in linux installs. Does anyone actually know if the Devs are going to be cool with having a package in community that essentially conflicts with a base arch package?

I hope that, at some point, someone takes the texlive sources and remakes a tetex.tar.gz from the tetex grouping option on the DVD iso. This will enable all linux distros to have a consistent method of upgrading their latex distributions without having to hack out some proprietary install scheme like what arch is essentially being forced into.

... and for a time, it was good...

#56 2007-09-16 16:59:00

[vEX]

Well, they could adopt texlive-core into community/extra and leave the rest in AUR/community, I believe the -core package should do what the tetex package is doing without installing the extra texlive packages.

PC: Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | GeForce 450GTS | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux x86_64
HTPC: Antec NSK2480 | ASUS M3A78-EM (AMD 780G) | AMD Athlon X3 425 | 8GB DDR2 | GeForce G210 | 2TB HDD | Arch Linux x86_64
Server: Raspberry Pi (model B) | 512MB RAM | 750GB HDD | Arch Linux ARM

#57 2007-09-17 09:24:58

ezzetabi

@PDExperiment626
I do not see the problem actually, it is more or less the same for the xorg package group that contains lots of smaller packages and most of people just install them all.
In this case most of the user just need texlive-core, some need the extra fonts, some need pictures... But the other packages are needed only by few people... Why install everything?

@awagner
Why mounting the iso that way? Why not copy its files? It would remove the need of editing the sudoers file.

Last edited by ezzetabi (2007-09-17 09:28:22)

#58 2007-09-17 13:00:09

awagner

@ezzetabi

ezzetabi wrote:

@awagner
Why mounting the iso that way? Why not copy its files? It would remove the need of editing the sudoers file.

A good question actually. But can you elaborate a bit? I am not completely sure I understand what files you want to copy and where and when. I suppose you are suggesting to mount the iso once, then copy the whole dvd tree to /opt/tex/dvd (if that is what path I'm using as in the wiki page), instead of making /opt/tex/dvd a mountpoint for the iso file? (And then possibly get rid of the iso file)
I would have to think about this. At first I thought it would be more elegant to have it all contained in the iso file, which can easily be replaced once next year's texlive is available. Also, I can mount that iso from windows, too. (Although I admit that's not really a good reason -- there's no reason why windows wouldn't be able to acess /opt/tex/dvd as well...)
But I am no longer so certain, that's why I'd like to hear more advantages/disadvantages of either way. (It could turn out that in the end, the mounting is just for historical reasons - iow, I had dl'ed the iso and didn't have another 2 gb ready when I was wanting to use TL without burning the dvd)

Andreas

PS. I must admit I forgot to include the sudoers editing in the wiki page -- and will do so soon.

#59 2007-09-18 16:21:35

ezzetabi

Lemme think...Mounting the iso: advantages, maybe there is some space wastage in the filesystem with so many small files. Instead one big file does not have this problem. I can not think any other.
Disadvantages, probably a little slower, you can't remove what you do not need.

Actually it is more or less the same... And in the end I am still wondering why someone should not use the packages... If you can read the iso, you can probably also read /opt/texlive in every os...

#60 2007-09-20 08:25:18

ezzetabi

Warnings... Problem in the packages?

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
entering extended mode
(./test.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
[...]
pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file /opt/texlive/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/p
dftex.map): fontmap entry for `pcrb8y' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `pcrbo8y' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `pcrr8y' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `pcrro8y' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `phvb8y' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `phvb8yn' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `phvbo8y' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `phvbo8yn' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `phvr8y' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `phvr8yn' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `phvro8y' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `phvro8yn' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `psyr' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `ptmb8y' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `ptmbi8y' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): invalid entry for `ptmbo8y': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only 
with embedded Type1 fonts

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `ptmr8y' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `ptmri8y' already exists, duplicates ignored

dftex.map): invalid entry for `ptmro8y': SlantFont/ExtendFont can be used only 
with embedded Type1 fonts

dftex.map): fontmap entry for `pzdr' already exists, duplicates ignored
$ pacman -Q | grep ^texlive-
texlive-core 2007.4643-2
texlive-core-doc 2007.4633-1
texlive-fontsextra 2007.-1
texlive-pictures 2007.-1
texlive-pstricks 2007.-1

#61 2007-09-21 08:10:57

attila

PDExperiment626 wrote:

Hey guys... I just wanted to bring something up regarding voting for these packages. Has anyone checked in with a Dev/TU about voting for all 61 of these packages is an OK thing to do?

There be only 'YES' that firmicus is becoming TU so there is no problem.:)

PDExperiment626 wrote:

I am sorry I do not have more details; but I was in a rush to just get latex working again as I am in the middle of writing a thesis. I also mentioned before that I could not get texlive to work with neither kile nor texmaker on a gnome system; latex compiles would always hang.

I'm sorry too to hear again about your problems in the moment where you don't need problems but perhaps this is the problem. I have no problem with pdflatex and kile but instead of you i'm not in hurry to get my work ready so my suggestion is: Install an enviroment (tetex or the texlive from DVD) which works and look at the problems if your work is over. I say this because without details no one can helps you.

PDExperiment626 wrote:

While I think firmicus has done an excellent job creating these packages; I've come under the impression that I'd prefer having a tetex-like installation procedure.

You have to be fairly: First tetex have a tetex-doc package too so there is not only ONE tetex package or you have to speak from 31 texlive packages. Second there is only one package because doing a 'pacman -S texlive-core' or 'pacman -S tetex' is the same and for us user it doesn't matter that in case 1 a group of packages and in case 2 one package get installed.

PDExperiment626 wrote:

I hope that, at some point, someone takes the texlive sources and remakes a tetex.tar.gz from the tetex grouping option on the DVD iso. This will enable all linux distros to have a consistent method of upgrading their latex distributions without having to hack out some proprietary install scheme like what arch is essentially being forced into.

I risk to say it in a provocative way: You and me and everyone here will never see that the big ones under the linux distros (at example: Debian, Ubuntu, Redhat, Opensuse ...) will package such a big thing as texlive in the same way with the same patches and so i don't think it is necessary to spend ONE second to realize this in arch linux.:)

#62 2007-09-21 08:17:55

attila

ezzetabi wrote:

Warnings... Problem in the packages?

I got such warnings too and i think it will be worth that we will look for this udpmap's after all is in community. I don't see this as a showstopper because this be only warnings and i think this handling of the fonts in udpmap's is not so nice to 'debug'. But this be only my 2 cents.

#63 2007-09-27 17:05:48

ezzetabi

Finally to community! Rejoice!

Last edited by ezzetabi (2007-09-27 17:06:37)

#64 2007-09-27 17:45:46

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

I was just about to post a notice about it.

===> Yes! The TeX Live packages are finally in community! smile

Now you can use the AUR web interface for bug reports or comments.

For support with TeXLive I suggest we continue using this thread.

I am now updating the wiki.

Cheers
F

#65 2007-09-28 10:02:43

Ramses de Norre

I get this after a pacman -S texlive-most:

( 1/17) upgrading texlive-core                      [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-core-2007.1-2/install: line 50: texconfig-sys: command not found
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-core-2007.1-2/install: line 51: updmap-sys: command not found
( 2/17) upgrading texlive-bibtexextra               [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-bibtexextra-2007.1-2/install: line 8: texconfig-sys: command not found
( 3/17) upgrading texlive-fontsextra                [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-fontsextra-2007.1-2/install: line 51: texconfig-sys: command not found
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-fontsextra-2007.1-2/install: line 52: updmap-sys: command not found
( 4/17) upgrading texlive-formatsextra              [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-formatsextra-2007.1-2/install: line 8: texconfig-sys: command not found
( 5/17) upgrading texlive-games                     [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-games-2007.1-2/install: line 11: texconfig-sys: command not found
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-games-2007.1-2/install: line 12: updmap-sys: command not found
( 6/17) upgrading texlive-genericextra              [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-genericextra-2007.1-2/install: line 8: texconfig-sys: command not found
( 7/17) upgrading texlive-htmlxml                   [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-htmlxml-2007.1-2/install: line 8: texconfig-sys: command not found
( 8/17) upgrading texlive-latexextra                [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-latexextra-2007.1-2/install: line 12: texconfig-sys: command not found
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-latexextra-2007.1-2/install: line 13: updmap-sys: command not found
( 9/17) upgrading texlive-humanities                [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-humanities-2007.1-2/install: line 8: texconfig-sys: command not found
(10/17) upgrading texlive-latex3                    [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-latex3-2007.1-2/install: line 8: texconfig-sys: command not found
(11/17) upgrading texlive-music                     [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-music-2007.1-2/install: line 10: texconfig-sys: command not found
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-music-2007.1-2/install: line 11: updmap-sys: command not found
(12/17) upgrading texlive-omega                     [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-omega-2007.1-2/install: line 10: texconfig-sys: command not found
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-omega-2007.1-2/install: line 11: updmap-sys: command not found
(13/17) upgrading texlive-pictures                  [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-pictures-2007.1-2/install: line 9: texconfig-sys: command not found
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-pictures-2007.1-2/install: line 10: updmap-sys: command not found
(14/17) upgrading texlive-plainextra                [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-plainextra-2007.1-2/install: line 8: texconfig-sys: command not found
(15/17) upgrading texlive-pstricks                  [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-pstricks-2007.1-2/install: line 8: texconfig-sys: command not found
(16/17) upgrading texlive-publishers                [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-publishers-2007.1-2/install: line 8: texconfig-sys: command not found
(17/17) upgrading texlive-science                   [##########################################################################################################################################################] 100%
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-science-2007.1-2/install: line 11: texconfig-sys: command not found
/var/lib/pacman/local/texlive-science-2007.1-2/install: line 12: updmap-sys: command not found

Where should those commands that aren't found come from? Maybe there is some dependency missing?

#66 2007-09-28 11:37:34

[vEX]

They are installed with one of those packages, however the shell somehow doesn't yet know where to find them (even though the correct file is sourced beforehand). I got the same problem before it was moved to community, though I forgot to post about it here.

Running the following as root after the installation should be the same as if they were run when installing:

texconfig-sys rehash
updmap-sys --quiet --nohash

PC: Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | GeForce 450GTS | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux x86_64
HTPC: Antec NSK2480 | ASUS M3A78-EM (AMD 780G) | AMD Athlon X3 425 | 8GB DDR2 | GeForce G210 | 2TB HDD | Arch Linux x86_64

#67 2007-09-28 12:18:53

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

[vEX] wrote:

They are installed with one of those packages, however the shell somehow doesn't yet know where to find them (even though the correct file is sourced beforehand). I got the same problem before it was moved to community, though I forgot to post about it here.

Running the following as root after the installation should be the same as if they were run when installing:

texconfig-sys rehash
updmap-sys --quiet --nohash

This is strange because I have never encountered this problem. And I have deinstalled and reinstalled texlive-core many many times on my system! Seems to be a shell issue of some sort. I'll look more into it. One way would be to give the absolute paths in the install script.

F

#68 2007-09-28 13:25:16

[vEX]

For what it's worth I was/am using rxvt-unicode, my mirror haven't synced with community to get the -2 releases yet so I can't say if the problem still exists.

#69 2007-09-28 14:24:32

Ramses de Norre

I'm also using urxvt, but that shouldn't matter since it's bash that must know the command. The issue was with the -2007.1-2 versions of the texlive packages.

#70 2007-09-28 17:08:48

gnidam
Website

I did have the same problem - texconfig-sys and updmap-sys not being found.
I'd guess that if you install texlive-core for the very first time, you initially don't have /opt/texlive/bin in your $PATH - after fixing that, I did a reinstall of texlive-core and the rest... and everything went smoothly. Very nice packages - thx alot Firmicus!

#71 2007-09-28 19:15:17

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

OK, it really seems I should have prefixed texconfig-sys and updmap-sys with /opt/texlive/bin in the install script to have absolute paths. Sorry not to have done it in the first place, but no one seems to have reported this during the past few months of testing. I'll change that and reupload the package, but without changing the revnr (to avoid redownloading and reinstalling the same thing at your next "pacman -Syu").

#72 2007-09-28 19:27:37

attila

Firmicus wrote:

This is strange because I have never encountered this problem. And I have deinstalled and reinstalled texlive-core many many times on my system! Seems to be a shell issue of some sort. I'll look more into it. One way would be to give the absolute paths in the install script.

I think you have done it in the same way as mine without a reboot so we both can't say if this "source /etc/profile.d/texlive.sh" works as desired. I think to work with absolute paths in the install script is a good idea.
Comment: Okay, sorry that i wrote the same as everyone here but perhaps you feels now better to do it.:)

Last edited by attila (2007-09-28 19:30:08)

#73 2007-09-29 16:12:37

dante

I get a failure for bibtex with the community pkg version.

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.6)
The top-level auxiliary file: ocf.aux
The style file: achemso.bst
Database file #1: ocf.bib
`title' is a missing field, not a string, for entry mitch
while executing---line 1120 of file achemso.bst
(There was 1 error message)

The svn version seems to fix this.

dante

"Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch' entrate"
- Laßt jede Hoffnung hinter euch, ihr, die ihr eintretet -

Dante Alighieri

#74 2007-09-29 16:37:22

domanov

Firmicus & the Tex Gang, SANTI SUBITO!

#75 2007-09-29 17:24:34

nesl247
Website

Firmicus: I do not use tex live, nor have I looked at your pkgbuilds in a while, but you could create /etc/profile.d/texlive.sh or something, and in it export PATH="${PATH}:/opt/texlive/bin". And then in each of your pkgbuilds, source /etc/profile.d/texlive.sh

Board footer