Re: text mode applications

How about htop:

http://htop.sourceforge.net/

#27 2007-08-28 07:15:20

azerty
Website

F wrote:

I think we've pretty much exhausted the "essentials" list for client applications. See how simple life is when you comandeer your terminal?

Also, I am a fan of wmii but lately its been pissing me off and development has been a little slow. I remember trying ratpoison ages ago and loving it, haven't tried any other tiling WM's. Is there anything anyone else not just knows about but actually recommends?

I would recommend you to give dwm a try.
Like Archlinux, dwm follows the KISS-Philosophy and one of it's major goals is to never exceed more than 2000 SLOC. If you like working in textmode environments and appreciate tiling WMs, dwm should make it for you.

Why are we here? What is the sense of life?
INVITATION TO THE TRUTH

#28 2007-08-28 14:32:52

kailden

I'm playing with DWM...I think I like finch for console im, but with the irssi "window manager" mode...

I just installed conky-cli.  Very cool for dwm statusbar.

Last edited by kailden (2007-08-31 02:48:09)

#29 2007-08-29 02:36:52

F

kailden wrote:

I'm playing with DWM...I think I like finch for console im, but with the irssi "window manager" mode...

My only problem with finch is that I can not for the life of me move the windows around!

from man finch
       Alt + m
              Start moving a window. Press the cursor keys to move the window.
              When you are done, press Enter or Escape.

This does not work for me. I've tried in both xterm and urxvt. Does the same problem appear for you aswell?

p.s. - I am using wmii.

edit: fixed the issue. wmii had mapped alt-m to something. All is well now. Finch is a great, great app!

Last edited by F (2007-08-29 02:51:57)

#30 2007-08-30 04:40:55

jellywerker

Well, I've switched over to most of the apps named here, and I must say, my WoW fps has never been higher =P I am working on vi and dwm's commands and shortcuts, but I can work decently, and I am really enjoying learning to work more efficiently at my computer. This is definitely the system style I will use on my new computer.

#31 2007-10-09 20:36:54

scj

orpie is a pretty nifty calculator. Took me a while to get used to the whole RPN thing, but once I was past that, it's pretty awesome.

#32 2007-10-09 20:55:50

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Well, I became a CLI fan as well, so I can suggest you mcabber as jabber client (you can eventually use the jabber transports to use other accounts, if you have any), or bitlbee, which is a daemon that allows you to connect to various IM accounts while using an IRC client (I highly recommend weechat as IRC client, since it's got a lot of useful plugins and the possibility to split windows).
It's too bad I can't use finch properly, for some reason my ALT key doesn't work with it, so I can't try it out.
Another cool CLI app is rtorrent, a bittorrent client. As for music MPD + ncmpc (if nobody has suggested it yet).
Antiword is a very cool app to read MS Word document via terminal, while odt2txt does it for Open Document formats.
If you do word processing stuff, I highly recommend you to learn LaTeX, so you can use text editors such as Vim to write your stuff wink
Finally, if you liked Nethack I strongly recommend you to try out ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery), it got me hooked big_smile

Enjoy!

Last edited by finferflu (2007-10-09 20:58:16)

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#33 2007-10-10 03:46:04

F

azerty wrote:
F wrote:

I think we've pretty much exhausted the "essentials" list for client applications. See how simple life is when you comandeer your terminal?

Also, I am a fan of wmii but lately its been pissing me off and development has been a little slow. I remember trying ratpoison ages ago and loving it, haven't tried any other tiling WM's. Is there anything anyone else not just knows about but actually recommends?

I would recommend you to give dwm a try.
Like Archlinux, dwm follows the KISS-Philosophy and one of it's major goals is to never exceed more than 2000 SLOC. If you like working in textmode environments and appreciate tiling WMs, dwm should make it for you.

So I took your advice and switched to dwm and holy Jesus on a stick I am already in love. Seriously. I'm drooling on my keyboard. I need to leave now to get a wipe.

#34 2007-10-10 07:44:58

onearm
Website

Always loved cli. To me the best apps are the one who deal with text as mutt, slrn and raggle because emails/newsgroups/rss are mostly if not completely text; so to me is like: why using a gui to manage simple text?
The same applies to irc chatting, for which I use irssi or weechat (the first is better imho, the second easier to use)

Screen is a must too, and as a terminal urxvt is pretty much perfect to my needs.

Mplayer also is near perfect for a video player (and watching a dvd on the console with -vo fbdev generates more "wows" than Vista does wink )

As for the p2p apps, rtorrent is great; also aMule can be used from the command line with AMuleCMD and aMuled (this might be another thread, gui applications that can also be used without X).

For editing, vi/vim obviously.

For managing images, converting or resizing or applying filters, there is convert from the Imagemagick package (which can't substitute Gimp but is very useful in batch editing and scripts).

To ripping or converting cd/audio files, pretty much every codec audio can be used from the cli, while cdparanoia handles the ripping.

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#35 2008-06-14 12:32:16

leo2501

Hi! i love urxvt and i use a lot of terminal apps, no friend can believe that u can have a fancy background and transparent desktop (with x) and makin a lot of internet-multimedia stuff using only 100 mb of ram =P

I used centerim for a while, but now change to pebrot and im loving it, far better features, but i wanna know if someone knows how to set the black background to be transparent in the terminal, i have all my cli apps transparent so i can see my background (mc, rtorrent, amulecmd, elinks...) but pebrot has a black background...

im looking forward to weechat...

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#36 2008-06-14 19:51:49

patogen

F wrote:
kailden wrote:

My only problem with finch is that I can not for the life of me move the windows around!

from man finch
       Alt + m
              Start moving a window. Press the cursor keys to move the window.
              When you are done, press Enter or Escape.

This does not work for me. I've tried in both xterm and urxvt. Does the same problem appear for you aswell?

p.s. - I am using wmii.

edit: fixed the issue. wmii had mapped alt-m to something. All is well now. Finch is a great, great app!

You can use esc + m instead of alt + m, same with other commands in finch. This also applies to weechat/irssi and others, if alt key is used as mod key then esc + 1 in a program such as finch/irssi/weechat is the same as alt+1. Don't know about dwm/wmii but xmonad supports you to turn of the mod key for a while, like when your num lock key is on/off you can use your mod key as usual :-)

We met up with the aliens and guess what? They have no word for fluffy!

#37 2008-06-14 22:32:13

lang2

Since nobody has mentioned before, here is a nice clone of Norton commander : ndn ndn.muxe.com

Board footer