You are not logged in.

#351 2007-10-19 07:35:50

scj

Re: Arch Linux logo concept

Matt3o wrote:

I totaly agree with you. Do you think we can express this concept without "penguins" (linux) and "crowns" (king)? Something more subtle I mean, less predictable.

Concurred. Enough with the penguins!

#352 2007-10-19 08:30:32

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Matt3o wrote:

I totaly agree with you. Do you think we can express this concept without "penguins" (linux) and "crowns" (king)? Something more subtle I mean, less predictable.

Penguins with crossbows. smile

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#353 2007-10-19 08:56:25

Matt3o

I'd say killer-whales with uzi tongue

#354 2007-10-19 09:43:56

foxbunny
Website

Hahaha. My answer is NO. smile I'm the penguin guy, period. You know. Like you have funny guys at a party or something... or in an office. Yeah, I'm the penguin guy, and the penguin stays on my concept. I said... put... the... pen... guin... down... big_smile

Anyway, I thought about what you guys said.

1. there are only 4 penguin designs among the top 50.
2. arch (as in 'principal') is fairly obvious as well
3. no crowns in the top 50 (maybe even top 100?)
4. the idea of 'King of all penguins' cannot, IMHO, survive without a crown

Now, the idea of Arch Linux being first amogn Linuces can, of course, be presented differently, but, luckily, I'm not the only designer here, so you will probably have different (and more agreeable?) ideas very soon. smile

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-19 09:44:23)

#355 2007-10-19 09:50:41

foxbunny
Website

Okay, I was a bit wrong about the idea that King can only be presented with a crown. kanim's idea's given me a fairly obvious alternative (which I'm NOT going to work on, because I'm still a penguin guy). big_smile

Anyway, kanim, take a look at these:

http://images.google.com/images?client= … a=N&tab=wi

And another suggestion for kanim. Do not break the "archlinux" text in half. Doesn't look all that professional. And an alternative font would probably work better with the shield design. The current font works better with your previous idea. BTW, you don't have to change it just because I said something. It still looks okay, man. wink

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=402&page=1
http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=403

The above link is to modern gothic and celtic sections on dafont.com. Maybe there is something that will work quite nicely with you shield. But keep in mind that "free for personal use" fonts are depreciated.

Thayer, nice bling on your avatar. I like it a lot better than the plain nemesis you posted before!

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-19 09:58:13)

#356 2007-10-19 10:01:17

kanim

Okay, I was a bit wrong about the idea that King can only be presented with a crown. kanim's idea's given me a fairly obvious alternative (which I'm NOT going to work on, because I'm still a penguin guy). big_smile

Anyway, kanim, take a look at these:

http://images.google.com/images?client= … amp;tab=wi

And another suggestion for kanim. Do not break the "archlinux" text in half. Doesn't look all that professional. And an alternative font would probably work better with the shield design. The current font works better with your previous idea. BTW, you don't have to change it just because I said something. It still looks okay, man. wink

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=402&page=1
http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=403

The above link is to modern gothic and celtic sections on dafont.com. Maybe there is something that will work quite nicely with you shield. But keep in mind that "free for personal use" fonts are depreciated.

i thought heraldry would be nice at first but, i think for debian stable you could take that but not for arch, couse it has always the newest software and so on...

coat of arms is something old and not often updated it stays like forever

or what would you say?

Last edited by kanim (2007-10-19 10:03:27)

#357 2007-10-19 11:58:23

foxbunny
Website

I agree, but the bow and arrow are more in heraldry style... or am I not wearing my glasses today? smile

BTW, I love the 2nd from last (black/white) version of your previous version.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-19 11:59:13)

#358 2007-10-19 12:18:52

foxbunny
Website

For those who are still considering alternative meanings of the word arch:

The webster dictionary gives following meanings for "arch" when used as an abbreviated form:

1 archaic
2 archery
3 architect; architectural; architecture

The first one is... well... you know... bad. The last one is a bit misleading perhaps, because it may also mean that Arch Linux is some CAD/CAM LiveCD.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-19 12:20:26)

#359 2007-10-19 12:35:48

Matt3o

Something to think about (really quick draft)

chessking.png

Last edited by Matt3o (2007-10-19 12:36:22)

#360 2007-10-19 12:45:55

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I think that penguin you used here: http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roughsce8.jpg
looks awesome. Ditch the crown, maybe throw an arch (the round thing) into it somewhere, and we might have something cool. Got an svg for me to play with somewhere?

Watch where you go interpreting "arch". Wherever it's mentioned as 'chief' it's always got 'enemy' or 'nemesis' there. It doesn't exist on it's own, and certainly doesnt mean king-like. Using a crown and implying kingship seems very arrogant too.

I think this whole tangent with the archery is just that, a complete tangent. Archery has nothing to do with Arch as a distro, nothing whatsoever. Any links drawn are simply feeble. I know you're exploring ideas... but archery?

James

Last edited by iphitus (2007-10-19 12:46:16)

#361 2007-10-19 13:24:19

kanim

I think this whole tangent with the archery is just that, a complete tangent. Archery has nothing to do with Arch as a distro, nothing whatsoever. Any links drawn are simply feeble. I know you're exploring ideas... but archery?

hmm, first you could say an arrow moves fast forward, and with the shield idea of foxbunny it also stands for security at least in my mind

btw

arch:
    Middle English arche, from Anglo-French, from Vulgar Latin *arca, from Latin arcus — more at arrow

so this means arch and arrow have an connection tongue as well as an bow has tongue

Last edited by kanim (2007-10-19 13:38:57)

#362 2007-10-19 13:25:04

foxbunny
Website

Okay, here are the SVGs.

http://foxbunny.team88.org/arch/

EDIT: Those are not final SVGs... I have them at home and am at work now.

I've checked the meaning of the word arch. It doesn't mean either good or bad. Apart from terms like arch nemesis or arch foe, there are also terms derived from arch (pronounced differently in some cases), like Archbishop, or Archangel (both meaning cheif the-thing).

Matt3o, we are not a chess distro, are we? I suck at chess. big_smile

Anyway, you have the SVGs, so you can play with them. I will continue developing my original idea, because I don't really feel awkward about having a penguin represent me, nor do I feel like the King of all Linuces is too strong. smile

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-19 13:54:09)

#363 2007-10-19 20:15:21

weseven

i _really_ like foxbunny's archpenguin artwork.
however, i think that it could be seen as a little bit pretentious (well, i think we all agree arch's the best, however tongue ).
so i will choose foxbunny reinterpretation of current artwork. it's modern, reminds of an arch preparing to launch the arrow, and it's close to the old logo, so it will look familiar in some way.

just my two cents wink

#364 2007-10-19 21:36:52

pain of salvation

Why not thayer.w's avatar?

#365 2007-10-19 22:06:33

foxbunny
Website

weseven, and others, there is probably NOT going to be a community vote, at least not until there is a tie. I think that is the sensible way to do things. Arch developers have, after all, invested much of themselves into this arch distro, so I think it is them who should have a say on what's going to represent THEIR WORK.

Thanks for the comment, though. I wish we could all agree that there is no such thing as pretentious when it comes to Arch and it's 'bestness' (however subjective it was)... but I guess there are, after all, such things as cultural differences, and what in some cultures may be seen as pretentious and pompous, may, in some cultures be seen as the display of courage and self-confidence. Therefore, I do agree on one point with you all. If there is any doubt that the design will not work worldwide, it might need some reworking. However, I grew quite attached to the penguin king, and cannot let it go. So please do understand. smile

As for Thayer's logo, it's basic problem is... well, quite the same as mine. It can be easily seen as something else (his on a visual level, mine on emotional). First of all, it works with something quite subjective like 'how do I (or you) define arch nemesis'. Is it a 'fat guy'? Or is it a 'guy with outstreched arms'? Is it a 'bald guy'? Or maybe not a guy at all? Or a 'nipple'? It lacks definition and hence can be easily seen as anything at all. Some people might not even pay attention to the white area of the logo and instead focus on the colored area which looks like an arrowhead, which would still be better than some of the things people saw there (I saw a fat guy, same as one of our community members). So my suggestion would be to simply add more detail. Anyway, please do take a look at the artworks in that other thread. Thayer's got some really nice graphics there. Most of them, IMVHO, much better and lot less confusing than the arch nemesis.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-19 22:07:21)

#366 2007-10-19 22:17:54

foxbunny
Website

Hey, just for kicks. Can you all please tell me what Linux distro logo offends you the most (I mean, one of the currently used ones in other distros, not the concepts here)?

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-19 22:18:12)

#367 2007-10-19 22:21:02

thayer
Fellow
Website

I have actually withdrawn all of my artwork from the concepts thread. I will post an updated version of the original Nemesis logo when the contest is officially announced.  My thanks to everyone for your feedback and support.  I look forward to seeing some great designs from the community!

Cheers

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#368 2007-10-19 22:24:12

foxbunny
Website

Withdrawn? Why?

#369 2007-10-19 22:34:26

thayer
Fellow
Website

I have chosen the concept I wish to submit, and so I'd rather not muddle the thread with half a dozen concepts I don't plan to use.  I'd rather see some new ideas from the community at large.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#370 2007-10-20 00:56:25

foxbunny
Website

Yeah, but those artwork may have served as inspiration to others or even be used as a base for new artwork... I mean, you ARE free to do as you please, I'm not in a position to question that, but still...

Others, sorry for going off...

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-20 00:57:00)

#371 2007-10-20 07:40:54

Matt3o

I'd do a step back and think if it is logical or convenient to totally reinvent the actual logo. I mean, there's enough chaos in the distro world, do we really want to further scare the poor end-user? Archlinux is gaining momentum, I feel it would be really dangerous to completely change the logo concept. It would be nice to have some input from the devs about this, just to know where to concentrate our efforts.

The actual logo is not that bad, imho. It lacks a bit of "style" and professionalism. I think the key is to restyle and not to reinvent.

Last edited by Matt3o (2007-10-20 07:41:58)

#372 2007-10-20 11:00:34

foxbunny
Website

Homeless, and others, enough with 'enough'. Okay? I'm not like forcing you to eat the penguins or anything. You act like a bunch of consumers sitting on a sofa, waiting for big brands to satisfy every one of your wishes. Enough with that, enough with this, such and such make me sick. Well, than, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT YOURSELF, okay? I don't like it is perfectly fine. Everyone can like or dislike something. But speaking like you ordered a pizza and got an apple pie is just plain wrong. Jeez.

Tux really sucks. But Tux misses the point blatantly by taking a fat penguin from a zoo and presenting it as whatever. The Arch black penguin is THE penguin, the emperor penguin from the Antarctica. And if you knew a bit about penguins you'd know HOW different that was from any penguin imagery that's ever been used as a logo or otherwise in the Linux world.

Matt3o, I don't think Arch users qualify as stupid. I mean 'poor end-users'? Jesus, man. Like we change the logo and they get sooo confused that most of them commit suicide? I'd like to believe that at least within the community we have people who are slightly more intelligent than that.

If you have followed the threads on the dev-public ML, that Cerebral posted somewhere on page 10 of this discussion, you would have noticed that there are not so many definite rules atm. But it looks like all ideas would be welcome.

#373 2007-10-20 11:05:22

mienensuchkind

hi there, just wanted to get part of this discussion, since the arch logo is something most users (would like to) identify with.
My opinion about the whole design stuff is, that i had always a "problem" with the arch color-scheme... Its just like everything in the distro-world is "blue". It bores me and i would like to see an unique color-scheme for arch, to put emphasize on Arch's specialness.

I thought off s.th like this

colour_icon1124124195.jpg

Further i agree to Matt3o - The logo itself just needs to be a bit polished.  thayer.w's logos on the first post of this topic match this requirements best i think!

#374 2007-10-20 11:30:27

Matt3o

foxbunny wrote:

Matt3o, I don't think Arch users qualify as stupid. I mean 'poor end-users'? Jesus, man. Like we change the logo and they get sooo confused that most of them commit suicide? I'd like to believe that at least within the community we have people who are slightly more intelligent than that.

whoa, man chill down big_smile I was just discussing. "poor end-users" was just humor. I do love the penguin logo. If it depended on me I would pick that one, I was just asking for some "official" input from the high floors.

#375 2007-10-20 11:57:42

foxbunny
Website

Well, I got a bit angry at people who are just saying 'enough' without explicitly expressing their personal bias or any constructive criticism. Sorry for letting it slip into the second part of my post. tongue Nothing personal. As for the unofficial official opinions, there are these two threads in the dev-public mailing list:

http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev … .html#2158
http://archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev … .html#2275

mienensuchkind, the color shceme you proposed is indeed original, but it is mostly used by women's magazines, especially the kind where there's a lot of male-bashing and girl power stuff. Like Joy for example. I happen to work for a publishing company and was given an assignment to design one such mag, so I had a chance to analyze some mags in greater detail. Magenta (the color you picked) with gray is definitely there most of the time.

Apart from occasional penguin-slash-crown-bashing, I still havent got any feedback on the alternate color scheme I proposed:

Black / Yellow:

buttonsmt5.png

Board footer