You are not logged in.

#451 2007-10-24 14:07:43

foxbunny
Website

Re: Arch Linux logo concept

mienensuchkind wrote:

@foxbunny: I know nobody forces me to post something, but i think i could make a good one (if i just had more time and a good idea). And another Submission would just help everybody wink - its all about choice!

No arguing about that. smile

Anyway, for all who want to do something but lack inspiration, I've just finished downloading ALL the logos from distrowatch.com (hush, hush, I don't think it's legal tongue). I will zip them up (not under linux, so please keep your unzippers handy) and upload them in couple of minutes.

Here they are:

http://foxbunny.team88.org/arch/linuxlogos/

And the .zip file:

http://foxbunny.team88.org/arch/linuxlo … -logos.zip (1.1M)

There are exactly 364 logos in there.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-24 14:11:06)

#452 2007-10-24 14:13:04

Sigi

Is it just me or is team88.org down?

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#453 2007-10-24 14:32:02

PJ

I have no problems with downloding from team88.org

Last edited by PJ (2007-10-24 14:32:37)

#454 2007-10-24 14:40:15

foxbunny
Website

There is a more convenient way to browse the logos here:

http://archlinux.team88.org/main.php?g2_itemId=13

I've installed gallery for your viewing pleasure. tongue

One note, though. I didn't have time (and probably won't for a long time) so, please keep in mind that the names of logos are taken from the filenames, and in some cases are not identical to actual distro names. It may sometimes be so different as to make it impossible to find the distro. Anyway, I hope it is at least useful for browsing.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-24 14:49:08)

#455 2007-10-24 14:48:13

Sigi

PJ wrote:

I have no problems with downloding from team88.org

I'm able to access it now, too. strange

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#456 2007-10-24 14:58:44

foxbunny
Website

I've configured the gallery so you can see the same image reduced to 64x64 and 16x16 size. Of course, since the whole image is reduced, it is not an actual iconization, but you can at least have some idea of what designs might work better. Just click on an image and you will have a dropdown in the far top-right corner.

Added an album for the Arch Alpha Sun logo. I will try to keep it neat and up to date with all possible variants, separate PNGs, usage guidelines, etc. But that will come when I have access to SVGs at home. smile (Later, if my logo is accepted after the contest, I will turn archlinux.team88.org into a logo & artwork portal.)

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-24 15:40:28)

#457 2007-10-24 21:18:30

thorstenhirsch

Great work @all, especially thayer.w and foxbunny - seems like you've had some really cool ideas for you logos! I also like the logos from matt3o. However, where's the logo from the guy who initiated the other logo thread? I think it's missing. And I still think it's one of the best.

#458 2007-10-24 21:19:28

thayer
Fellow
Website

Matt3o wrote:

I like the thayer.w logo, but I think the arch should be "open"... I don't know why but the original version has something wrong to my eyes wink

Unfortunately, if the "head" is removed or opened as you put it, the design loses its dual-meaning of being both an arrowhead and a silhouetted figure (us archers).

zenlord wrote:

...I can't get around the christmastree-feeling I get when I see your current 'submission', especially with the accented details.  While the logo breathes professionalism and creativity, IMVHO this is a no-go, sorry.

PS: Man, I hate writing this because this kind of critique is so negative, and I don't want to be... But maybe you'll consider also submitting your forst concept...

No worries zen, you won't hurt my feelings.  I do appreciate the feedback, even if you don't like it.  The very nature of art is both subjective and relative to the habitat of the individual viewing it.

That being said, the first logo isn't coming back for submission.  Enough devs have expressed their dislike for it (due to a number of factors, some of which I agree with) that it seems pointless for me to submit something that will certainly be rejected. I prefer the Archer concept anyway, regardless of what the majority votes.

peets wrote:

Remember the colour wheel? I think there are "warm" and "cold" colours. I like that the current arch logo feels soft, and I think that's mostly due to the cool colours. But then looking at the Ubuntu logo foxbunny posted (which uses warm colours) I realise shape has to do with the effect also. Round shapes provide softness while sharp shapes yield, well, sharpness.

In the idea that Arch has become a home distribution for many users, a place where they are finally comfortable and can go at their own pace, and feel at home in a welcoming community, I think we should aim for a softness effect in the logo.

Of course, Arch is a bleeding-edge distro. But "bleeding-edge" sounds unstable; Arch is usually very stable due to its simplicity, and the repos are organized in such a way that the software installed is of high quality (well, you know). So I'm against using a sharp design.

peet, you make several good points, some worthy of debate within themselves. In my opinion, interpretation is completely relative to your habitat.

The power of colour has been studied for thousands of years, but the colour wheel makes some huge generalizations that all (or most) people feel the same way about the same thing. I don't believe that's true. For example, while many people find the colour blue to be calming, I personally find the colours green and brown to be even more so, probably because they remind me of forests and pre-industrial history.  To me, that's far more "comforting" than blue.  For my wife, it's the colour purple... for which I'm sure she has her own reasons. The same philosophy can be applied to shapes, or any other aspect of our culture that we interpret our own way.

Zen sees a Christmas tree (what's a Christmas tree? smile), some see a fat man, while others see an arrowhead... who's right? All of them, or none?

With respect to how Arch fits into the picture of technology and other distros, I think I can safely say with little argument (foxbunny? wink) that Arch is in fact one of the most up-to-date distros in the top 25, perhaps even the most if we consider only distros that use a pre-compiled package structure.  The very nature of this makes Arch relatively less stable than other top distros that use 6 or 12 month release cycles.  I hope nobody interprets that as me saying that Arch is unstable, because that's not at all what I mean.  Arch is stable, but its rolling release nature means that in an average or worst case scenario, it's less stable than say Debian or other equally conservative distros.

My interpretation of this is that Arch is one of the edgiest distributions available, and its simplicity makes it even sharper.  It truly is one of a kind, and it's not for everybody.  Sure, a newb can follow a wiki and get his system installed.  But if that same newb isn't willing to learn how the system works (e.g. pacman, consoles, daemons, etc.) then Arch Linux isn't really for him is it?  I certainly wouldn't recommend Arch for my mom, because she'd be baffled by the amount of knowledge required to really understand and maintain her computer.  So, to me Arch is really for anybody that:

a.)  enjoys ultimate control of their computer,
b.) enjoys learning about technology, and
c.) enjoys the freedom that GNU, Linux and an incredible community can provide

Of course, that means that Arch isn't for a lot of people, but that's okay; there's an OS for everyone smile

PS: I just wanted to add that, personally I'd like the Arch logo to be a shade of violet or magenta, but blue seems to be the "de facto" OS colour for nearly everyone....terribly boring if you ask me.

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-10-24 21:36:28)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#459 2007-10-24 21:42:14

thorstenhirsch

Oh, now I got it - it was you, thayer.w, who started this logo thread, but you removed your first concept and renamed the thread.

That being said, the first logo isn't coming back for submission.

sad

PS: I just wanted to add that, personally I'd like the Arch logo to be a shade of violet or magenta, but blue seems to be the "de facto" OS colour for nearly everyone....terribly boring if you ask me.

Well, I'd like to see it red & orange. smile
What's wrong about submitting all your concepts/colors for the contest and let the community decide? Or is there some kind of rule that every artist is allowed to submit one concept only?

#460 2007-10-24 22:09:44

thayer
Fellow
Website

Ah, you must be referring to the Alpha logo...yes, I won't be submitting that one for the contest (if there ever is a contest.. *cough* Cerebral *cough wink)

Glad you liked it though, and it's available under Creative Commons in case you want to use it.  About your avatar, Robin Hood is my favourite Disney cartoon and one of the many reasons that green and brown are my "comfortable" colours.

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-10-24 22:10:49)

#461 2007-10-24 23:34:49

foxbunny
Website

@thayer.w

I hope you are not surprised... tongue Anyway, I actually agree that Arch is not rock solid stable in the sense Slackware or Debian are. But in Arch's case, stability is the one of a boat on a fast-moving river. That is the type of stability that Arch has despite its rolling release.

So, here's another picture for those that are trying various ideas on the canvas. A boat and a river. smile Think of rafting as a good example... A canoe maybe?

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-24 23:36:01)

#462 2007-10-24 23:36:57

herman82

thayer.w wrote:

I thought I'd better post what I've got so far before dumb8d0g beats me to it! jk smile

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 82#p292282

Could you pleas make the Splashy Bootsplash theme in 16:10 aspect ratio, then shrink it down to 1024x768 or 1280x1024? That would make it look really good on widescreen lcds...

Really good looking stuff – simple and professional... my personal favorites are thayer.w and foxbunnys concepts

#463 2007-10-24 23:43:29

foxbunny
Website

thorstenhirsch wrote:

What's wrong about submitting all your concepts/colors for the contest and let the community decide? Or is there some kind of rule that every artist is allowed to submit one concept only?

There's nothing wrong with anyone submitting as many concepts as they like, and rumor has it (*glances at devs*) that the rules will actually permit this. Also, the community probably will not decide. I think it is actually fair that the community contributes, and devs choose. Fair in the sense that Arch has been donated to us, community members, by them, devs and TUs, so it's perfectly okay that we effectively 'serve them', so to speak, voluntarily.

I understand thayer, though. Both him and I prefer to invest 100% of our energies into one concept in order to make that one thing perfect, rather than dissipate our energy over a number of different concepts, just to have 'all the bases covered'. Am I right, Thayer? smile

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-24 23:43:50)

#464 2007-10-24 23:50:59

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

thayer.w wrote:

If there ever is a contest.. *cough* Cerebral *cough wink

foxbunny wrote:

rumor has it (*glances at devs*) that the rules will actually permit this.

My goodness, you people are relentless! wink  Expect to see an announcement in the next couple of days.

#465 2007-10-24 23:59:54

thayer
Fellow
Website

foxbunny wrote:

I understand thayer, though. Both him and I prefer to invest 100% of our energies into one concept in order to make that one thing perfect, rather than dissipate our energy over a number of different concepts, just to have 'all the bases covered'. Am I right, Thayer? smile

Absolutely.

Cerebral wrote:

My goodness, you people are relentless! wink  Expect to see an announcement in the next couple of days.

Just having some fun with ya... lookin' forward to it.

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-10-25 00:00:50)

#466 2007-10-25 00:05:18

thayer
Fellow
Website

herman82 wrote:

Could you pleas make the Splashy Bootsplash theme in 16:10 aspect ratio, then shrink it down to 1024x768 or 1280x1024? That would make it look really good on widescreen lcds...

Doh! That image isn't supposed to have anything on it at all.  Somehow an early concept snuck into the tarball.  It's been updated:

http://www.cinderwick.ca/files/archer/s … ack.tar.gz

Bootsplashes are still so cryptic.... in my opinion, if they can't do graphics well, they shouldn't do them at all.  Not only that, but when your boot logo says Arch, your gdm/slim says Arch and your desktop says Arch, it's a bit overkill smile

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-10-25 00:07:00)

#467 2007-10-25 01:07:30

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

#468 2007-10-25 07:34:28

heavenquake

Is there a deadline for submitting artwork?

#469 2007-10-25 08:55:13

NoD
Website

Nice work. smile

#470 2007-10-25 09:57:49

foxbunny
Website

One suggestion, Cerebral:

Each dev votes for 3 concepts, no more no less. He has to give them +3, +2, or +1. Isn't that a bit more logical than simply giving +1 to an arbitrary number of concepts?

That, or just one vote per dev?

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-25 09:58:18)

#471 2007-10-25 10:08:09

herman82

thayer.w wrote:

Bootsplashes are still so cryptic.... in my opinion, if they can't do graphics well, they shouldn't do them at all.

True, in my experience fbcondecor render better then Splashy - last time i used splashy i got at white border around the splash, very annoying.. i look forward to them getting better, I'im hoping for more options with the progress bar, maybe the option to use a swirl (if you know what i mean, a circle)

thayer.w wrote:

Not only that, but when your boot logo says Arch, your gdm/slim says Arch and your desktop says Arch, it's a bit overkill smile

Yes that would probably be overkill, but i usually like the boot and gdm to be branded and say "Arch", and my desktop to say "me"

Right now I have branding everywhere though, I really like that this discussion of new artwork has brought so much new stuff

#472 2007-10-25 10:18:29

foxbunny
Website

IMO, everyone is going to personalize their desktops and bootsplashes and whatever at some point. It doesn't hurt to have the branding by default, especially since those create the very first impression of the distro for new users. Experienced users will simply ignore the branding and change the artwork to whatever they prefer.

#473 2007-10-25 10:31:53

a1ex

I just had a quick look at this thread and the logo concepts. I dont really like the idea of changing the color to yellow or something. The current cold blue stands for the professional and lean image. Yellow is a warm color, it suggests something thats not archlinux.

Looking at the concepts i really liked this one by foxbunny: http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/7465 … ogoto7.jpg

it somehow integrates arches, the "X" in *nix, the letter "A" and a globe representing community in my eyes. Its very clean and looks good - definately my fav so far.

#474 2007-10-25 10:35:16

foxbunny
Website

a1ex, yellow stands for energy. I just wanted to bring out an entirely different side of Arch Linux. smile

#475 2007-10-25 10:44:47

foxbunny
Website

Fellow artists. Please grab the latest submission forms here:

http://foxbunny.team88.org/arch/forms/

I see some people are still using the old one (identified by white border around some of the items). Grab one of the forms from the link above. The PNG version is identical with the one posted in the official announcement, but there is also a SVG version here for your convenience.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-10-25 10:45:51)

Board footer