You are not logged in.

#26 2007-10-18 03:00:46

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

Re: Arch workflow design advice for a designer?

FTP ...... try "fish" instead...... wink

Open Konqueror, on the toolbar ...... find "window" then choose "split left/right" ....... now you have two working windows.
In the first one, choose the home icon and browse to where you need to be....... then click on a blank space in window #2 ........

then in the url bar, type fish://yourname@yourhost.com It should then ask you for a password...... drag and drop files with ease, much nicer than gftp and fish uses ssh so it's more secure. So much fun it's silly wink You can get really crazy and open up even MORE windows and drag and drop to multiple servers..... big_smile

#27 2007-10-18 05:33:17

justaleaf

Open Konqueror, on the toolbar ...... find "window" then choose "split left/right" ....... now you have two working windows.
In the first one, choose the home icon and browse to where you need to be....... then click on a blank space in window #2 ........

then in the url bar, type fish://yourname@yourhost.com It should then ask you for a password...... drag and drop files with ease, much nicer than gftp and fish uses ssh so it's more secure. So much fun it's silly wink You can get really crazy and open up even MORE windows and drag and drop to multiple servers..... big_smile

That's pretty darn cool and saves me several steps in my workflow. Add to that the tab ability, and you can load up your website for viewing changes. And you can launch files into the appropriate applications since Konq is pretty intelligent about that stuff. Pretty sweet stuff.

Can I add Gecko rendering to Konq? If I could choose to view pages with Gecko, it would be the perfect tool (well, I guess I would still launch Firefox for firebug).

I'd also like to see how Konqueror functions in Gnome. This has been an amazing thread so far. Thanks for all the knowledge guys! I'll definitely post as I try out more things. smile

Any other idea's on Quicksilver style tools?

Last edited by justaleaf (2007-10-18 05:34:46)

#28 2007-10-18 12:30:35

pirx

justaleaf wrote:

Is there a good quicksilver/launchy type app for linux, I don't want to flip through menus all the time or run commands.

dont know what quicksilver is, but I just ave another control bar that sits left of my screen. there i put all programs i need regulary:

screenshot-arch1.png

btw, if you do need the konsole often - have a look at yakuake. its _really_ handy.

Last edited by pirx (2007-10-18 12:31:47)

#29 2007-10-18 15:02:16

lucke

Kommando and katapult are worth checking out, as ways to start apps.

#30 2007-10-18 18:21:04

miggols99

You could also try Katapult if you like KDE...

#31 2007-10-19 06:52:58

sweiss

Well, when I was messing with HTML and CSS a bit, I used Quanta+ and later tried Eclipse.
Although not really WYSIWYG, these were pretty powerful tools. I especially liked Quanta+'s integrated help, but Eclipse turned out to be a better development tool. Also Firefox has a bunch of extensions for helping web developers (I used one for HTML and CSS standard verification).

As for the rest, I'm not too sure.
I would advise you however to try out the winetools package, which is a free alternative to Crossover Linux, if you don't feel like spending cash.

#32 2007-10-20 14:07:34

Xilon

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but dmenu is a nice launcher. Not exactly like QuickSilver, but it does the basic launching.

#33 2007-10-23 16:20:01

justaleaf

Sorry if someone has already suggested this, but I have found that the Deskbar-applet can actually be configured to be very much like quicksilver. It doesn't have the same range of options, but you CAN quickly launch apps, compose emails to specific people, and locate files and folders. It also controls similarly. So that's a happy discovery smile.

I really want to run 64bit, but I think I'm going to give it another 6 months or so and see how it develops. I know this sounds crazy, but I'd rather be in a 32-bit environment with no hitches than a 64 AND 32-bit environment. I just want a stable and efficient system. I have noticed a speed decrease though... nothing dramatic, but it's definitely present.

I think Bluefish and Kompozer are going to fit the bill nicely for my needs and I found a solution for my Windows software needs (like Photoshop CS and Flash MX Pro):

My laptop!

It's a Windows computer with decent specs and I can use it to serve up my Windows apps on my Linux desktop! Just like running VirtualBox or Parallels in "coherent" mode, only minus the big VM overhead. It is sweet smile.

The only thing remaining is my video editing, but I am convinced there is no answer to that problem for now. And I only do it about once a week, so I think I can handle dropping into Windows that often.

Thanks for all the help! And, as always, any other suggestions are appreciated.

#34 2007-10-23 18:21:45

jordi
Website

i just came across this "100 great free and open source tools for web developer"

not everything is for linux but maybe some of them turn out to be usefull for you.

#35 2007-12-03 17:56:34

ilnux

I found a solution for my Windows software needs (like Photoshop CS and Flash MX Pro):

My laptop!

It's a Windows computer with decent specs and I can use it to serve up my Windows apps on my Linux desktop! Just like running VirtualBox or Parallels in "coherent" mode, only minus the big VM overhead. It is sweet

@justaleaf
-Hello, if it's easy to do please could you tell me in more detail what I would need to do to set this up?
I have flash and photoshop on my laptop too and would like to do the same. Thanks!

#36 2007-12-03 22:22:29

kakTuZ

ilnux: I don't know what justaleaf is using, but it sounds like rdesktop (+ tsclient )

#37 2008-03-08 02:14:53

zoglesby
Website

elasticdog wrote:
justaleaf wrote:

Is there a good quicksilver/launchy type app for linux, I don't want to flip through menus all the time or run commands.

I haven't used it, but there is Gnome Launch Box, which is heavily influenced by Quicksilver...

gnome-do is another great quicksliver like app.
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=14142
http://do.davebsd.com/

#38 2008-08-25 22:13:01

inertiatic

Launchy is also for Linux.

#39 2008-08-26 06:32:37

thisllub

Gmrun is my pick for a launcher.
Small and quick like a command line.

If you have ssh access to your server rsync over ssh is nicer than ftp as it only transfers file deltas and is very quick.

I really think you should run a Windows sesion in VirtualBox as well. I check all my stuff that way.  I think virtualisation makes Wine redundant but if you want a win-only machine I guess that is fine too.

I run VirtualBox on my laptop and it is fine.

I haven't found any WYSIWYG designer as efficient as a text editor but I have a big library of code now

#40 2008-08-26 16:22:54

dsr

justaleaf wrote:

* WYSIWYG html and CSS editting (NVU/Kompose is fine for html, but NOT for CSS) for the design phase
I suggest learning to use a plain old text editor (i.e. vim or emacs). Productivity is very important even for web developers.

* A way to output image slices with html (does GIMP do this?)
I don't know if GIMP does this. Photoshop CS2 works great on Wine.

* Accurate web fonts
pacman -S ttf-ms-fonts ttf-dejavu ttf-bitstream-vera

* Reliable ftp, preferably one with drag n' drop functionality (I use filezilla on Windows, but I think the linux version lacks the drag n' drop)
If you insist on using a GUI app for ftp, you can use your file browser as others have suggested.

Board footer