You are not logged in.

#26 2007-11-02 18:18:48

foxbunny
Website

Re: Need help with logo concepts?

ibendiben, sorry for the delay. Here is a SVG file containing various boomerang shapes. I hope that helps.

http://eyedeal.team88.org/files/boom.svg

I've left to color black so that it doesn't influence your design decisions.

Last edited by foxbunny (2007-11-02 18:19:50)

#27 2007-11-02 18:23:04

ibendiben

Thanks a lot for your efforts. I've been trying out inkscape and am astonished of it's easiness and possibilities yikes

#28 2007-11-02 18:26:27

foxbunny
Website

Yeah, Inkscape is one of the best, even compared to commercial pro tools.

#29 2007-11-02 21:32:56

ibendiben

Well, as inkscape makes things extremely easy, here my first boomerang-logo.
boomerangarchpc7.pngboomerangarch1yy7.png
I'd like to have a few comments before I go on with it. I didn't do much with the type... I just used the old one to give an idea.
There has to be said here that this concept is taken from here: http://www.kutek.net/ therefore it won't be submitted to any contest as the design is probably not universal. sad
-edit: I've double posted the logo in the other 'concept' thread cause there's so many topics now and I thought that one was most active...

Last edited by ibendiben (2007-11-08 14:31:06)

#30 2007-11-02 22:07:22

foxbunny
Website

It's great stuff from an Inkscape newbie. wink

The problem with this design is it's actually hard to tell if it's a boomerang or something else. If you want to say boomerang, it has to be 'in your face'. It has to really look like a boomerang. But frankly, I don't think that is good either, because boomerangs are endemic to Australia, and Arch is not region-specific. Anyway, the boomerang needs to be more obvious, imho.

The type converges on comics. It could be cool, but let's wait for more feedback.

#31 2007-11-04 13:05:19

ibendiben

I don't know if a logo has to be that plain. Look at your alpha sun. At first sight you wouldn't know what it's got to do with an alpha, a sun, or arch... But when you know, or want to know you can recognize things in there, then the 'nice' shape becomes a logo with a meaning. It has to be recognizable as the arch logo, and has to have some nice associations with the arch-philosophy or/and some letters.
Cerise's design is giving me hard time recognizing some arch-thing in there mad Although it's very usable in a verity of ways.
Thayer's archer calls up a Christmas-feeling (tree) with me big_smile Although I like the philosophy behind it a lot.
They're both nice designs but you see how hard it is to create something which has both the strength of a slick design and the arch-connection.
Also it points out the original logo wasn't bad at all, I still think it's one of the best actually... so elegant and simple. wink

ps. doesn't alpha relate to Greece? lol

#32 2007-11-04 15:31:06

foxbunny
Website

Ah, don't get me wrong. I didn't mean it has to be a boomerang. I just thought, since you mentioned a boomerang, that you wanted to make a boomerang logo. As for my Alpha logo, it's made abstract enough to allow people to see whatever they want in it. It was also meant to retain the features of the original logo, which I think it does. Alpha Sun was simply my explanation of what it is, and you might not see it, but that is totally okay.

I like both the old logo and the submissions. There is plenty of material there to make most people happy, I think.

And alpha is not just Greece nowadays. The Greek alphabet is used a lot in science and every time you want to create an equation, you'll most likely use a couple of Greek letters. As for it's meaning in the Alpha Sun, it's the same as in Alpha male/female in zoology.

#33 2007-11-04 15:53:28

ibendiben

It actually is a boomerang (try cutting it from wood) smile... but people wouldn't say that when they don't know it... I understood that point.
I liked this shape however cause it's not cartoonish, -as my other tries of a boomerang design- plus there is more things hidden in there.
But maybe I use an overdoses fantasy to see that wink

ps. don't get me wrong: You're alpha sun is top!
ps2. I like ps'ses hmm

#34 2007-11-04 16:08:10

foxbunny
Website

ibendiben wrote:

ps2. I like ps'ses hmm

LMAO lol

#35 2007-11-06 12:50:07

foxbunny
Website