You are not logged in.

#426 2008-02-29 03:06:57

toofishes
Developer
Website

Re: Arch on Eee PC

Some of my configs are now available, for those that want to see how I run my system:
http://code.toofishes.net/gitweb.cgi?p= … ;a=summary

Click 'tree' at the top, then navigate into the configs/ directory. Obviously I use my own kernel and modules, so that is what the lines in rc.conf apply for. Things like the syslog-ng.conf may be helpful for anyone though.

#427 2008-02-29 03:35:38

dkite

brncmp wrote:

I would like to see the pros/cons of toofishes kernel and dkites modules. 
Thanks ,

Pro dkite modules? They follow the stock Arch kernel.

Con? Big, slow to boot. All fixed by toofishes kernel.

I am using something similar to toofishes kernel because it boots quickly. I will maintain the modules until they are contained upstream, which will probably be in the 2.6.25 series.

Derek

#428 2008-02-29 06:17:21

elbecko
Website

toofishes wrote:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?title=Speedup_udev- Option 2. Unless you are blacklisting modules, you don't need load-modules.sh at all.

How about specifying udevtrigger --subsystem-nomatch options in /etc/start_udev? This should make unnecessary device triggers defined in /etc/udev/rules.d/*.rules disabled with no modification to rule files.

Refer to:
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4349
http://dev.laptop.org/attachment/ticket … start_udev

Although I'm not sure which triggers are to be disabled, specifying scsi, ide, pci, i2o, video4linux, mmc, pnp, sound, and printer is OK for my usage so far, and seems to save a few seconds on startup.

701 Black 4G / 900 Black 4+16G / kernel-eee 2.6.26-1 / KDE(mod)

#429 2008-02-29 16:48:06

zodmaner

toofishes wrote:

Regarding the community kernel- have any of you emailed him and/or posted comments?

Regarding filoktetes, It seems that he has been MIA for so long that he have been removed of his TU status. sad

More info: http://archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-gene … 06988.html

His kernel package in community is also currently an orphan: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=14495

So, I guess it's OK to remove his package?

brncmp: I suggest you use toofishes repo. It got everything you need (webcam and wifi drivers) plus an optimized kernel for Eee. Follows the instruction on the Wiki to install his kernel and associative packages:  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … _toofishes

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-02-29 17:25:54)

#430 2008-02-29 20:12:33

khordes

Hey all, wanted to thank both dkite and toofish for their work, I am currently running toofish's kernel and wow is it fast to boot!.  I have a few strange issues with suspend, but nothing that bothers me too much.  I am wondering, however, I was using wlanconfig to set my wireless card into adhoc mode as thats how I connect to the internet right now, through my main computer.  With toofishes kernel and his madwifi package installed wlanconfig is not available.  I figured out how to make it work with modprobe fortunately.  The weird thing is with the eeemodules installed along with toofish's kernel, I can use wlanconfig, and everything SEEMS to run the same with or without the eeemodules package, but the wiki says one should uninstall that package with toofish's kernel.  I'm just trying to figure out what is going on with wlanconfig, is there another way to set adhoc mode on the wireless card short of reloading the ath_pci module with different parameters?  Once again, thanks for all you both have done, I'm writing this from my eee running arch right now.

khordes

#431 2008-02-29 20:37:30

ighea

khordes wrote:

Hey all, wanted to thank both dkite and toofish for their work, I am currently running toofish's kernel and wow is it fast to boot!.  I have a few strange issues with suspend, but nothing that bothers me too much.  I am wondering, however, I was using wlanconfig to set my wireless card into adhoc mode as thats how I connect to the internet right now, through my main computer.  With toofishes kernel and his madwifi package installed wlanconfig is not available.  I figured out how to make it work with modprobe fortunately.  The weird thing is with the eeemodules installed along with toofish's kernel, I can use wlanconfig, and everything SEEMS to run the same with or without the eeemodules package, but the wiki says one should uninstall that package with toofish's kernel.  I'm just trying to figure out what is going on with wlanconfig, is there another way to set adhoc mode on the wireless card short of reloading the ath_pci module with different parameters?  Once again, thanks for all you both have done, I'm writing this from my eee running arch right now.

khordes

To have wlanconfig with toofishes kernel you'll have to install madwifi-utils package (it's in core).

With same kernel as before at least suspending to ram works fine with pm-utils and couple vty changes in acpi scripts.
I do it as follows:

pm-suspend;chvt 1;sleep 1;chvt 7

(╯°□°)╯~ ┻━┻

#432 2008-02-29 21:13:08

zodmaner

I still having problem with iptables on kernel-eee-2.6.24.3-2

The iptables command that gives me trouble is this:

iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

The command comes from here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sim … NPUT_chain

It returns this error:

iptables: Invalid argument

I did not have this error message with stock kernel.

I run lsmod command on the default kernel and this is the result:
http://pastebin.com/m24695f7

...and this is lsmod output with toofishes kernel:
http://pastebin.com/m654038fc
(Note that I manually added the xt_state and nf_conntrack myself using modprobe command).

The difference (for me, at least) is the nf_conntrack_ipv4 module in the stock kernel that is missing in toofishes kernel. I try to load nf_conntrack_ipv4 using modprobe command but got this error:

FATAL: Module nf_conntrack_ipv4 not found.

This is list of modules in stock kernel /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/net/netfilter directory:
http://pastebin.com/m136466bf

...and this is list of modules in toofishes kernel /lib/modules/2.6.24.3eee/kernel/net/netfilter directory:
http://pastebin.com/m71267d91

Which, as you can see, there are 3 modules missing in toofishes compares to stock kernel: xt_CONNSECMARK.ko, xt_physdev.ko, and xt_SECMARK.ko. I'm not sure if this is related to the problem, but just in case. wink

Well, that's all I could think of. If I miss anything, then please do tell. Hope that you could fix this error, toofishes (and I'm hope that I have mentioned everything that I need to, if I still miss or leave out anything important, then I'm terribly sorry).

EDIT: Also, the shutdown problem seem to returns with toofishes kernel. The trick on Arch Wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … wn_problem did not work since, well, there wasn't any snd_hda_intel module to remove. hmm

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-02-29 23:49:39)

#433 2008-03-01 00:43:48

toofishes
Developer
Website

zodmaner wrote:

I still having problem with iptables on kernel-eee-2.6.24.3-2

The iptables command that gives me trouble is this:
<snip>

You know it would have been a whole lot less trouble if you had just compared my kernelconfig with the stock arch kernelconfig. smile

I forgot one more module that was needed in -2, so figures. I'll push a -3 sometime this weekend with this missing module.

@@ -468,7 +468,8 @@ CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_HASHLIMIT=m
 #
 # IP: Netfilter Configuration
 #
-# CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_IPV4 is not set
+CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_IPV4=m
+CONFIG_NF_CONNTRACK_PROC_COMPAT=y
 # CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE is not set
 CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=m
 CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_IPRANGE=m

#434 2008-03-01 08:22:06

kant1

hmm, i just did a pacman -Suy and got the latest kerneleee and now shutting down doesn't shut down all the way, although i have rmmod snd_hda_intel in my rc.local.shutdown.  anyone else have this problem?

#435 2008-03-01 12:38:19

faelar
Website

Yes, I have to keep the power button pressed to shutdown my computer....

EDIT : After reinstalling dkite's acpi, it works... I think toofishes is working on an acpi package. Currently I don't see pictures when I use acpi keys. Brightness and sound up/down work, but mute doesn't.

Last edited by faelar (2008-03-01 14:01:21)

#436 2008-03-01 16:20:28

kant1

i had to upgrade kernel26 too and now everything is working.  i thought now that i am using kernel-eee i could just put kernel26 in ignorepkg.  apparently not...

#437 2008-03-01 16:34:53

toofishes
Developer
Website

What you guys are saying doesn't make a whole lot of sense...hmm. Unless its due to some of the forcing of things you have to do with that modules package overwriting files from my packages, which is no good and the original reason I set out to build my packages. If anyone can find the actual cause and solution, then I will be more than willing to work towards getting my packages up to snuff.

On another note, does anyone care if I continue to update the wiki page? The suggestion to use -i810 seems outdated and pointless with the release of the new intel driver- 915resolution is no longer even needed, and my brightness controls are working just fine here.

If anyone else wants to take on the task of cleaning up the rest of the article, that would be awesome too. There is too much about compiling drivers- it seems like info is duplicated in about 3 places.

#438 2008-03-01 17:56:00

zodmaner

toofishes wrote:

The suggestion to use -i810 seems outdated and pointless with the release of the new intel driver- 915resolution is no longer even needed, and my brightness controls are working just fine here.

I just try the new intel driver (version 2.2.1-1) and while brightness control is now working fine, XV video output still not work with composite. This means that people who use composite such as Compiz Fusion won't be able to use XV video output and thus make a lot of applications, such as Skype, UCView, not function when use with composite.

So until intel driver have XV video working properly under composite, I suggest we keep the suggestion, but maybe clear it up a little so that the reader understand what's the pros and cons of each driver. Maybe move the suggestion to use i810 driver and 915resolution hack to tip and trick section for people who wish to use composite on Eee.

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-03-01 18:01:13)

#439 2008-03-01 18:04:42

toofishes
Developer
Website

zodmaner wrote:
toofishes wrote:

The suggestion to use -i810 seems outdated and pointless with the release of the new intel driver- 915resolution is no longer even needed, and my brightness controls are working just fine here.

I just try the new intel driver (version 2.2.1-1) and while brightness control is now working fine, XV video output still not work with composite. This means that people who use composite such as Compiz Fusion won't be able to use XV video output and thus make a lot of applications, such as Skype, UCView, not function when use with composite.

I'm real glad the whole thing about composite was mentioned in the wiki article. Or it wasn't once. smile

I do not use composting on my Eee, and I think it is a wrong assumption to make that most users putting Arh on their Eee will want this, so I would tell people that the best way to get things going is the intel driver. The other stuff is peanuts.

And have you tried composting with the old method of RenderAccel? I put this in my xorg.conf for the new intel driver, its on the wiki now.

#440 2008-03-01 18:36:46

zodmaner

toofishes wrote:

I'm real glad the whole thing about composite was mentioned in the wiki article. Or it wasn't once. smile

Hey, I just found out about this myself. wink I have been using i810 for such a long time that I forget the details of problem intel driver had, so I have to refresh my memory somewhat. tongue

toofishes wrote:

I do not use composting on my Eee, and I think it is a wrong assumption to make that most users putting Arh on their Eee will want this, so I would tell people that the best way to get things going is the intel driver. The other stuff is peanuts.

Agreed. Still, I think we should add something like a little footnote to warn people about this problem and to indicate that i810 + 915 hack currently has better support for composite and XV video.

toofishes wrote:

And have you tried composting with the old method of RenderAccel? I put this in my xorg.conf for the new intel driver, its on the wiki now.

Not yet, will get back to you once I had the chance to try it out. wink

About the shutdown problem. All the sources (that I can find tongue ) still points to the same old problem of sound module, the snd_hda_intel, not close correctly. Is this module now built 'into' your kernel, toofishes? (Since it didn't come up in lsmod output). If so maybe the solution (well, a hack is more appropriate) is to have snd_hda_intel module (or whatever sound module that is causing problem) as separate module so that we can remove them during shutdown?

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-03-02 04:27:34)

#441 2008-03-02 21:24:23

brncmp

Thanks for you help.

I have just did a clean install with dont panic dvd, installing everything in base.

I have downloaded toofishes packages to a usb dive and I'm trying to use pacman -U to install them.
I'm keep getting an error (Unrecognized archive format: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character)

I have redownloaded 3 times on different usb drives useing two different computers and keep getting the same error.

The wiki says to edit pacman.conf and use pacman -Sy to install, but since since this is a new install my network drivers are not installed and I cant connect to the internet.

I'm I missing something?

brncmp

#442 2008-03-02 21:36:56

toofishes
Developer
Website

@brncmp: sounds like you need to grab the newest version of pacman, libdownload, and libarchive. Get those installed first (possibly using the pacman.static from the new package you grab), and then try to install my packages.

Updates for everyone else. I've been playing around locally and compiled yet another kernel. This one adds something that may or may not be wanted, but for those of you that have 2GB RAM installed (or even 1GB), I have good news- my next kernel release will support it natively without dipping into highmem at all, which should keep things a bit faster as the kernel never needs to do any sort of virtual address mapping. I just dropped a 1GB DIMM in my Eee today and all is going well- I have all 1GB available with this new kernel, and am not missing 1/8 of it as you would with a normal kernel not using highmem. Details will show up soon in my GIT repo.

I also have an external monitor working here at a higher resolution, which only required a slight tweak to xorg.conf.

This Eee thing is fun. smile

#443 2008-03-02 23:47:22

dkite

brncmp wrote:

Thanks for you help.

I have just did a clean install with dont panic dvd, installing everything in base.

I have downloaded toofishes packages to a usb dive and I'm trying to use pacman -U to install them.
I'm keep getting an error (Unrecognized archive format: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character)

I have redownloaded 3 times on different usb drives useing two different computers and keep getting the same error.

The wiki says to edit pacman.conf and use pacman -Sy to install, but since since this is a new install my network drivers are not installed and I cant connect to the internet.

I'm I missing something?

brncmp

You could also try getting the module package from http://members.shaw.ca/dkite for the 2.6.22 kernel. Load them, and get your connection working, update, then you can install toofishes kernel and all the rest of the stuff.

Derek

#444 2008-03-03 01:05:45

brncmp

You could also try getting the module package from http://members.shaw.ca/dkite for the 2.6.22 kernel. Load them, and get your connection working, update, then you can install toofishes kernel and all the rest of the stuff.

Derek

Thanks for your help!

That is exactly what I did and now I think everything is working.

Do I need to install dkite's acpid_eee package?  I installed acpid and am starting it with rc.conf, is this correct?   
Brightness works, f1 will go into sleep but can not wake, f2 will not turn off wifi, have not tested volume.

Now I'm off to install xorg

brncmp

#445 2008-03-03 03:43:19

dkite

brncmp wrote:

Derek

Thanks for your help!

That is exactly what I did and now I think everything is working.

Do I need to install dkite's acpid_eee package?  I installed acpid and am starting it with rc.conf, is this correct?   
Brightness works, f1 will go into sleep but can not wake, f2 will not turn off wifi, have not tested volume.

Now I'm off to install xorg

brncmp

acpid_eee provides all the scripts for the Fn keys, lid and power button. I'm not sure if toofishes has something similar.

Derek

#446 2008-03-03 06:25:00

zodmaner

Great news. With the latest version of kernel-eee (2.6.24.3-4), iptables finally works! big_smile

But unfortunately, i810 driver stop working (intel driver works fine). Here's the Xorg log file: http://pastebin.com/m25ced193

Is this your plan to made me switch to intel driver, toofishes? wink

Also, I tried out XV video with XAA RenderAccel under intel driver and, well, it didn't work with composite enable. I've found that XV video output works with composite only when I set RenderAccel to EXA, but then the performance is so horrible that it is practically unusable, so I guess i810 is still the best bet for people who wish to use composite (I would love to be proven wrong, though).

By the way, have anyone found a solution for the shutdown problem?

UPDATE: Hmmm... The i810 driver also didn't work with the vanilla kernel. hmm I guess it's something else that's causing the problem then.

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-03-03 09:12:06)

#447 2008-03-03 10:49:27

elbecko
Website

toofishes wrote:

This one adds something that may or may not be wanted, but for those of you that have 2GB RAM installed (or even 1GB), I have good news- my next kernel release will support it natively without dipping into highmem at all, which should keep things a bit faster as the kernel never needs to do any sort of virtual address mapping.

Nice!! smile

BTW, I've uploaded a brief demo of "Arch on EeePC" to YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEMycLvTHsY

It features complete startup/shutdown process and some apps actually running on my EeePC. I hope this would be helpful to EeePC users interested in Arch.

edit: I've added another version with some titles modification. First one has been removed because it never appeared on search result. (I don't know why.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug7sVXCyHjk

Last edited by elbecko (2008-03-07 10:01:35)

701 Black 4G / 900 Black 4+16G / kernel-eee 2.6.26-1 / KDE(mod)

#448 2008-03-03 14:21:44

ighea

toofishes wrote:

I also have an external monitor working here at a higher resolution, which only required a slight tweak to xorg.conf.

This Eee thing is fun. smile

So how long it still takes before we'll see your acpi-scripts in the repo? smile

(╯°□°)╯~ ┻━┻

#449 2008-03-04 00:57:29

ighea

In toofishes kernel it seems that CONFIG_TIMER_STATS is missing so we are not able to have advantages of powertop. :I

I wonder if you could also provide package for so called eee-kernel module for fan-control. http://code.google.com/p/eeepc-linux/

(╯°□°)╯~ ┻━┻

#450 2008-03-04 01:30:25

toofishes
Developer
Website

Yet another push of a new kernel tonight guys (2.6.24.3-5)- sorry I keep you on your toes. smile Don't feel like you always have to stay with the latest and greatest though.

I readded the VM86 config option, which was stupid of me to remove. I also bumped the madwifi version to a newer SVN snapshot (r3367) with the required Eee patch applied- let me know if you notice any issues. I haven't seen any problems with normal operation, but I haven't tested it going into and out of suspend much or anything else that is exotic. If there are too many issues I will just downgrade it back to the original version again.

RE: eee-kernel module. If someone sends me a PKGBUILD in my style, I will gladly keep it up to date in my repository. However, I don't have much use for this module myself, so I'm not going to put the initial effort into making it. By my style, consult the madwifi and linux-uvc PKGBUILDs in my GIT repository and you should see what I mean.

RE: CONFIG_TIMER_STATS. My kernel is designed to be lean and mean (let me know if there is room for improvement!), so I don't plan on enabling any debug helpers such as this. If you need to use powertop, you can always boot the stock Arch kernel where it is enabled. Keeping this disabled reduces the size of several kernel structs which in turn reduces memory usage, however slight this may be.

Board footer