Developer
Website

Re: Arch on Eee PC

zodmaner wrote:
toofishes wrote:

I readded the VM86 config option...

i810 now works again. Thank you for a quick fix toofishes. wink

Sorry about that. I'll try not to hack too much anymore. tongue

Courtesy of ighea who sent me his PKGBUILD, I added the eeepc-linux package tonight, which provides the eee kernel module so you can screw up your system and all that fun stuff. Don't blame me when you burn things up by turning off the fan. Note that it won't do a thing unless you modprobe it, and even then it just sits there giving you feedback until you start piping settings into it.

#453 2008-03-04 18:16:29

Thoht

It'll still be some time before they release the Eee here in Sweden, but I'm a bit curious as to what parts of it works and what doesn't so far with Archlinux (webcam?), and if it can compete with the default Xandros installation when it comes to speed? Has anyone managed to reduce the boot time to below Xandros for example?

I'm thinking Openbox or Fluxbox myself, together with the common urxvt, thunar, leafpad, irssi etc.

I beg my pardon if this has been brought up already. Still at reading the 5th-6th pages. smile

Credit to KiwiesRuleXD @ DeviantArt for the avatar.

#454 2008-03-04 18:44:22

kant1

elbecko wrote:
toofishes wrote:

This one adds something that may or may not be wanted, but for those of you that have 2GB RAM installed (or even 1GB), I have good news- my next kernel release will support it natively without dipping into highmem at all, which should keep things a bit faster as the kernel never needs to do any sort of virtual address mapping.

Nice!! smile

BTW, I've uploaded a brief demo of "Arch on EeePC" to YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEMycLvTHsY

It features complete startup/shutdown process and some apps actually running on my EeePC. I hope this would be helpful to EeePC users interested in Arch.

How did you get your bootup screen to not show all the messages I have on mine?  It goes from grub right to Archlinux without showing hooks and so forth.  A grub option?

Last edited by kant1 (2008-03-04 18:44:46)

#455 2008-03-05 00:17:06

zodmaner

Thoht wrote:

It'll still be some time before they release the Eee here in Sweden, but I'm a bit curious as to what parts of it works and what doesn't so far with Archlinux (webcam?), and if it can compete with the default Xandros installation when it comes to speed? Has anyone managed to reduce the boot time to below Xandros for example?

I'm thinking Openbox or Fluxbox myself, together with the common urxvt, thunar, leafpad, irssi etc.

I beg my pardon if this has been brought up already. Still at reading the 5th-6th pages. smile

In a nutshell:

Webcam, sound, wireless, ethernet, microphone, and hotkeys (brightness setting, volume control, etc.) work fine. Well, pretty much everything that is essential works. wink

Suspend and resume also work, but I still have some problem with wireless on resume.

I haven't try using external monitor yet, but according to toofishes, it works fine with xf86-video-intel driver.

The only problem I still have with my Eee is the shutdown problem, which somehow return with the kernel-eee package.

Regarding the boot speed, kernel-eee from toofishes is as just fast as Xandros.

Hope this answer your question. wink

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-03-05 00:36:15)

#456 2008-03-05 10:27:42

elbecko
Website

kant1 wrote:

How did you get your bootup screen to not show all the messages I have on mine?  It goes from grub right to Archlinux without showing hooks and so forth.  A grub option?

No hooks message should show up if you use eee kernel, which requires no initrd.
To suppress other messages, specify 'quiet' option in grub, as described below.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 06#p336006

701 Black 4G / 900 Black 4+16G / kernel-eee 2.6.26-1 / KDE(mod)

#457 2008-03-05 10:49:52

zodmaner

toofishes, I think the shutdown problem with your kernel is indeed cause by sound device not properly close during shutdown.

I can shutdown just fine if I don't use any sound, but if I use any sound at all then the problem occurs and the system won't shutdown properly.

Maybe having a sound device as a separate module (so that we may remove them during shutdown)  would solve this problem?

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-03-05 12:57:03)

#458 2008-03-05 14:14:14

DanielW

The shutdown problem is caused by the snd-hda-intel driver.

It needs to be rmoded before shutdown. So toofishes should build it as module.

DanielW

#459 2008-03-05 17:23:49

tankmcp

I am not able to record video clips (using ucview or luvcview) successfully. I can see the video on live and can snap still photos. 

Further, I have not been able to get skype or ekiga to successfully integrate my i-mic. 

Finally, no success returning from suspend for wifi.

using toofishes kernel or dkite's eee-modules for all on 701 4G.
Thanks for suggestions.

#460 2008-03-05 17:48:44

ighea

tankmcp wrote:

I am not able to record video clips (using ucview or luvcview) successfully. I can see the video on live and can snap still photos. 

Further, I have not been able to get skype or ekiga to successfully integrate my i-mic. 

Finally, no success returning from suspend for wifi.

using toofishes kernel or dkite's eee-modules for all on 701 4G.
Thanks for suggestions.

If you are using toofishes kernel you should not need dkite's eee-modules.

Whos acpi-scripts you are using?
At least with toofishes kernel you could try this slightly modified version of toofishes acpi-eee package which is not in the eee repository yet.

http://kapsi.fi/~ighea/eee/acpi-eee-5-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz
Once installed, see scripts in /etc/acpi/ for possible custom options. Please, report bugs and errors.

Edit: And now the lid.sh takes lid's state from proc instead of unnecessary tricks..
Edit2: Nasty locales almost ruined my day!

Last edited by ighea (2008-03-05 21:06:30)

(╯°□°)╯~ ┻━┻

#461 2008-03-05 18:47:42

toofishes
Developer
Website

I don't like to change my kernel to accommodate for broken device drivers (snd-hda-intel). See here: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9518

I might just have to jump into kernel code for the first time and see what I can come up with, although I don't know if my skills are good enough for that. I've never done a single bit of driver code.

#462 2008-03-05 21:29:01

dkite

tankmcp: for your imic try loading alsamixer and making sure all the input volumes are high.

Are you using the acpi scripts for shutdown?

Derek

#463 2008-03-06 06:16:57

Zepp88

Has anyone considered creating a custom install image specifically for the Eee PC?

Mine should be here tommorow big_smile

#464 2008-03-06 10:35:17

elbecko
Website

I've installed toofishes version of kernel (2.6.24.3-5) for the first time and found wine fails to run due to (maybe) highmem-related setting of kernel. When I try to execute wine (winecfg or wine somewinapp.exe) from konsole, it shows following error and fails:

Warning: memory above 0x80000000 doesn't seem to be accessible.
Wine requires a 3G/1G user/kernel memory split to work properly.
Killed

Here's related link:
http://www.winehq.org/?issue=310#New%20 … 20&%20Wine

FYI, wine runs normally on other eee kernels built with CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y.

#465 2008-03-06 17:19:26

faelar
Website

I switched to intel drivers, everything is fine, but I don't know if I can use an external monitor or not...
As everyone I can't shutdown without holding the power button 5 sec...
But my main problem is acpi. It works, but I can't see any picture, I changed many time of acpi scripts, My current configuration involved :
acpi-eee 4-1
acpid 1.0.6-1
kernel-eee 2.6.24.3-5

#466 2008-03-06 17:46:32

ighea

faelar wrote:

I switched to intel drivers, everything is fine, but I don't know if I can use an external monitor or not...
As everyone I can't shutdown without holding the power button 5 sec...
But my main problem is acpi. It works, but I can't see any picture, I changed many time of acpi scripts, My current configuration involved :
acpi-eee 4-1
acpid 1.0.6-1
kernel-eee 2.6.24.3-5

Does that shutdown problem occur every time? I have it happen only occasionally.

You can't see any picture? Where? In external monitor?
Try out toofishes xorg.config file (mirrored at http://kapsi.fi/~ighea/eee/xorg.conf )
and for example my latest acpi-eee scripts ( http://kapsi.fi/~ighea/eee/acpi-eee-5-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz I think I have finaly fixed user and X session detection somehow with all locale settings..)
and the display changing button should work once you restart acpid.

Last edited by ighea (2008-03-06 18:05:00)

(╯°□°)╯~ ┻━┻

#467 2008-03-06 18:17:24

faelar
Website

Updated, then /etc/rc.d/acpid restart.
But I still don't have the "pictures", I mean the big blue squares, with icons, telling you if you are at the lowest volume, if you switched it on or off etc... (I don't know how you call them).
And no, I'm on the eeepc screen, not on a external monitor, sorry if I'm not clear enought (I do my best to improve my english :s )
If you can tell me where this files are suppose to be, thank you.

#468 2008-03-06 18:27:58

ighea

faelar wrote:

Updated, then /etc/rc.d/acpid restart.
But I still don't have the "pictures", I mean the big blue squares, with icons, telling you if you are at the lowest volume, if you switched it on or off etc... (I don't know how you call them).
And no, I'm on the eeepc screen, not on a external monitor, sorry if I'm not clear enought (I do my best to improve my english :s )
If you can tell me where this files are suppose to be, thank you.

Oh, you mean the asusosd app. It's not currently included, perhaps I'll add it soon/later today. smile

(╯°□°)╯~ ┻━┻

#469 2008-03-06 18:57:02

faelar
Website

So it's not an issue, ok smile
I made a skype call. Video output is okay, but I couldn't manage to make the microphone works (both external and internal). When I enable it I can hear my voice in my own speakers. I also tried to change the "sound in" option in skype...

#470 2008-03-06 21:26:07

ighea

faelar wrote:

So it's not an issue, ok smile
I made a skype call. Video output is okay, but I couldn't manage to make the microphone works (both external and internal). When I enable it I can hear my voice in my own speakers. I also tried to change the "sound in" option in skype...

Have you tried this howto for the microphone problem http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … Microphone ?

The acpi-eee package is now updated and asusosd is included. I also added ap-script.sh where you can specify program/script to be launched with the task manager -button (Fn-F6).

See below for the package.

Edit: Somebody forgot to include script for asusosd to show correct volume levels, fixed.

Last edited by ighea (2008-03-06 22:24:13)

(╯°□°)╯~ ┻━┻

#471 2008-03-06 22:52:02

brncmp

ighea wrote:

The acpi-eee package is now updated and asusosd is included. I also added ap-script.sh where you can specify program/script to be launched with the task manager -button (Fn-F6).

See below for the package.

Edit: Somebody forgot to include script for asusosd to show correct volume levels, fixed.

Thanks for the update on the acpid package.  I just updated and wanted to let you know what I found.

Everything works but the asusosd will not correctly show the volume displays , f7 will not toggle stuck on, f9 the slider will not move stuck on left side, f8 slider will not move stuck on left side.

This is only the osd the keys do change the volume as it should.

#472 2008-03-06 23:01:31

ighea

brncmp wrote:

Thanks for the update on the acpid package.  I just updated and wanted to let you know what I found.

Everything works but the asusosd will not correctly show the volume displays , f7 will not toggle stuck on, f9 the slider will not move stuck on left side, f8 slider will not move stuck on left side.

This is only the osd the keys do change the volume as it should.

Actually, I have already fixed this in version 6-3. smile
It seems I should test my scripts even more thoroughly. Sorry for the inconvenience.

(╯°□°)╯~ ┻━┻

#473 2008-03-07 00:27:22

toofishes
Developer
Website

OK, I'm going to try and respond to about 8 different points here, so here goes.

RE: wine & VMSPLIT kernel config option. My kernel will never support wine if they refuse to acknowledge alternate splits- I'm not going to enable highmem (for performance reasons), so sorry. I wanted my kernel to support up to 2GB of physical RAM, which it does, without using highmem, and the VMSPLIT kernel config option is the perfect way to do that. If you use wine all that much, then use the stock Arch kernel, or use my kernel recompiled with the normal VMSPLIT. I would recommend not compiling it on your Eee though. smile

RE: acpi-scripts. Yes, I am planning on putting these in my repo in the next few days. I wanted to test them out myself a bit first, and I'm glad ighea has taken them and fixed some outstanding issues that I haven't had a chance to address yet. No, I will never be putting the OSD stuff in my package- first, I want my scripts to work regardless of whether X is currently running, and second I think its just overkill and stupid (but that part is personal preference). I can tell the volume by listening, I don't need to see a silly graphic. In the coming days I will take a look at the changes ighea made (thanks!), polish them up, and throw them in my next released version.

RE: snd-hda-intel. I compiled a 2.6.25-rc4 kernel last night for the Eee, and it booted wonderfully. Some bugs have been fixed in snd-hda-intel, but unfortunately not our shutdown/powerdown one, which I gave the kernel bugzilla entry for earlier (http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9518). I might give in to this bug and compile it as a module, but I really didn't want to do that. I hate hackjobs.

RE: filoktetes's kernel in community. This one goes way back, but I killed it- hopefully no one had a problem with that. It was unmaintained.

RE: elbecko and your video. Glad to see someone is taking advantage of the 2GB memory support in my kernel. smile

Other news- ath5k is now in the upstream 2.6.25 kernel, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with the wireless in the Eee. The module is loaded, but we have a few error messages in dmesg and no network device is created.

Anything else I should know before I do any package updates?

#474 2008-03-07 03:08:23

ighea

I'm sorry for making a bit too frequent updates for acpi-eee but here is version 6-4.
* Bad things happen, previous release depended on X and asusosd for volume level controlling, but now asusosd is only used for showing the status images instead of controlling anything, as it should have already been. Drawback is that currently "volume muted" icon is shown when sounds are on and so but I think I'll do something about it later.
* Had ugly typo in wlan.sh: plain ath instead of ath0.
* ap-button.sh should now use more likely correct environment for command execution. Noticed some problems with thunderbird and hopefully fixed them.

There is and will be at least horrible amount of typing errors so, please, try to understand! .)
Don't forget to report back for all possible errors, bugs and incapabilities of the maintainer.

toofishes: I hope you can sort something out of the mess! smile

(╯°□°)╯~ ┻━┻

#475 2008-03-07 06:27:48

elbecko
Website

toofishes wrote:

RE: elbecko and your video. Glad to see someone is taking advantage of the 2GB memory support in my kernel. smile

Actually, the kernel I used to shoot the movie is DanielW's because I haven't installed yours yet at that point. Of course, your kernel I just installed does recognize full 2GB as well and I really appreciate it.

Regarding wine (un)support, I'll respect your decision and build highmem-enabled kernel myself when I really need it. Currently it's not so high priority issue for me.

Board footer