You are not logged in.

#476 2008-03-07 16:32:59

djolk

Re: Arch on Eee PC

One question, that will probably turn into like six...

I've got everything working, I haven't checked out the mic and I can't actually record video but I only want to record video so I can see it the mic works so then I know everything is working but if it starts to work then I'll have to talk my dad on skype and there is always to much delays.

Onto better things.
I am using slim as in a login manager with enlightenment, dr16 not the snazzy one.  And it often works fine, actually I've never used enlightenment before and its not super great but I fell in love with the whole entire desktop sliding action.  And the pager is kinda cool.  As well as the animations and fades that so far haven't seemed to be a huge problem.  Plus they make the cpu kick up from 113MHz which I am sure is great on the battery but freakin' slow.

Okay, I am just finishing work and its 8am and I am rambly so what I am running into is:  slim is not starting very smoothly sometimes not at all.  I get the 'X' for my cursor but no image or login window.  My first thought was I had this enormous jpeg fresh off of my camera and I thought it was just the lil eee taking a few extra seconds to load a 4meg file but now that I have reduced the size of the image it hasn't mitigated the problem.

Oh yeah, I've noticed that the power stays on more often(not very) when I have the extension cord plugged in.

Oh yeah, off topic but whats so exciting about Enlightenment dr17?  I might just go back to xfce it's much more functional.. and less cool.

A SIDE NOTE:  Someone, I could be a volunteer but I don't have hydro much less an internet connection at home, should edit the wiki, if it has not been done.  Because it's mildly confusing.. or really confusing.  Especially with the toofishes kernel after all the other options including the now dead kernel.  ( Do you think having kernel26eee and its deps installed would affect slim startup)
It should basically read make usb stick with core and toofishes packages, install core, pacman -U toofishes kernel, reboot and then the rest of the intructions from the wiki.

Though you guys have done a pretty awesome job getting this up and running.  It's fun that we all have the same hardware.
Do you find the 2gig of ram really makes a difference.  I barely ever use more then 400megs of it.

#477 2008-03-08 12:05:50

jensp

Hi there,
would someone be so kind and post a screenshot of the capture settings in alsamixer? I can't seem to get the internal mic to work well, I can barely figure out my voice and I'm fed with guessing which settings mean what sad

And a big thanks to all the work you guys have put in on the packages to make setting up Arch on a eee pc easier.

#478 2008-03-08 15:58:24

IHateSnow

could someone using xfce PM me or post their .xinitrc contents and the same for the /etc/rc.conf file?

I had everything working but then I reinstalled when I broke pacman and have yet to get xfce working properly. When I go desktop preferences and click to allow xfce to manage the desktop, it doesn't stay when I open desktop preferences back up. Its sorta weird that I got it working once before.

Edit: i think /etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/group would be of help also.

Last edited by IHateSnow (2008-03-08 16:20:23)

#479 2008-03-08 18:35:55

czar

IHateSnow wrote:

could someone using xfce PM me or post their .xinitrc contents and the same for the /etc/rc.conf file?

I had everything working but then I reinstalled when I broke pacman and have yet to get xfce working properly. When I go desktop preferences and click to allow xfce to manage the desktop, it doesn't stay when I open desktop preferences back up. Its sorta weird that I got it working once before.

Edit: i think /etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/group would be of help also.

I had the same issue with xfce. I just updated the system Pacman -Syu and then it worked.

On a different note. Does toofish's kernel support a LUKS encryption? I recently encrypted the hd and that kernel doesn't seem to load the encrypt hook or somthing.

#480 2008-03-08 18:47:07

toofishes
Developer
Website

czar wrote:

On a different note. Does toofish's kernel support a LUKS encryption? I recently encrypted the hd and that kernel doesn't seem to load the encrypt hook or somthing.

My kernel doesn't need an initrd, and I believe this is where encryption support takes place. However, it still has initrd support so you should be able to get encryption working if you build a custom ramdisk for it. Let me know if I need to add any kernel-level support for this, which I will be glad to do as long as it doesn't require everyone to use an initrd.

#481 2008-03-08 20:43:17

IHateSnow

czar wrote:

I had the same issue with xfce. I just updated the system Pacman -Syu and then it worked.

now everything works. thanks for the help. any recommendations for what I should use for managing wireless connections?

#482 2008-03-08 22:19:53

vomix

Try Wicd.  It's similar to NetworkManager, without all the gnome-dependencies. smile

PS: Thank toofishes for the high-mem support in your kernel. wink

#483 2008-03-09 01:34:24

IHateSnow

[me#mycomp ~]$ alsamixer 

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

this is what im getting after I restarted after the update. im using dkite's modules now for 2.26.24, I know the ALSA wiki says I should just reinstall the kernel, should I just scrap that one for toolfishes' kernal?

#484 2008-03-09 09:02:00

elbecko
Website

vomix wrote:

PS: Thank toofishes for the high-mem support in your kernel. wink

Strictly, it's not highmem support but "(up to) 2G RAM" support. All 2GB is mapped as lowmem, which is directly accessible without virtual memory mapping. Your dmesg result should show that. Most of us don't need to care if it's highmem or lowmem, though. smile

701 Black 4G / 900 Black 4+16G / kernel-eee 2.6.26-1 / KDE(mod)

#485 2008-03-09 09:10:04

jensp

jensp wrote:

Hi there,
would someone be so kind and post a screenshot of the capture settings in alsamixer? I can't seem to get the internal mic to work well, I can barely figure out my voice and I'm fed with guessing which settings mean what sad

And a big thanks to all the work you guys have put in on the packages to make setting up Arch on a eee pc easier.

No one here with good mic settings?

#486 2008-03-09 10:30:38

ise
Developer
Website

jensp wrote:

No one here with good mic settings?

Hi,
open alsamixer with:

alsamixer -V Capture

and you will see the following screen:
alsamixer.jpg

Navigate to "Capture" slider and press 'Space' and there will appear the red text "Capture" with the 'L' and 'R'. That's all. Adjust your settings as you need it. As "input So" choose "i-Mic" for internal microphone. My internal microphone works with the settings you see in the screenshot. Maybe you must start alsamixer again without the -V option and set the slider there on higher level for i-Mic.

Hope I can help with these hints...

Last edited by ise (2008-03-09 10:32:45)

#487 2008-03-09 15:44:50

czar

toofishes wrote:
czar wrote:

My kernel doesn't need an initrd, and I believe this is where encryption support takes place. However, it still has initrd support so you should be able to get encryption working if you build a custom ramdisk for it. Let me know if I need to add any kernel-level support for this, which I will be glad to do as long as it doesn't require everyone to use an initrd.

Good to know i'll have this working eventuallly smile. Right now i'm trying to generate a new image with
mkinitcpio -g /boot/vmlinuzeee -k 2.6.24.3eee
when it gets to the encrypt hook i get
:: Parsing hook [encrypt]
ERROR: module 'dm[-_]crypt' not found
but otherwise the image generated successfully

I don't know if this means that i don't have kernel level support or if i'm doing this wrong so i'm gonna keep at it.
Thanks for the help and keep up the good work guys!

#488 2008-03-09 22:17:36

djselbeck

Hello,

the kernel is not ready for use with LUKS encryption. Because of this i had downloaded the sourcefiles and compiled my own kernel based on config of toofishes with some tweaks of mine. For example device-mapper support, scsi search all Luns, and without usb-persist because it does not work with my usb audio adapter.

#489 2008-03-10 11:45:34

Jacek Poplawski
Website

Guys, you rulez! I hope the new eeepc 900 will be supported by Arch as well smile

#490 2008-03-11 06:13:51

zodmaner

toofishes wrote:

RE: acpi-scripts. Yes, I am planning on putting these in my repo in the next few days. I wanted to test them out myself a bit first, and I'm glad ighea has taken them and fixed some outstanding issues that I haven't had a chance to address yet. No, I will never be putting the OSD stuff in my package- first, I want my scripts to work regardless of whether X is currently running, and second I think its just overkill and stupid (but that part is personal preference). I can tell the volume by listening, I don't need to see a silly graphic. In the coming days I will take a look at the changes ighea made (thanks!), polish them up, and throw them in my next released version.

Awe... I kinda like them. smile

Seriously. While I also think we can do without volume indicator, some display indicator, such as brightness indicator, is pretty useful and I would hate to see them go.

Anyway, if you decided to not include the OSD in your repo, could you at least make it easy for us to add them back in? Maybe using dkite or ighea acpi_eee package or something similar?

#491 2008-03-11 19:59:59

jensp

Thanks a ton ise, finally works with your settings, the mic was always a bit distored for me, works great know.

And twofishes, I'd also like you to include dmcrypt support. For me that would mean including:

CONFIG_DM_CRYPT=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_AES_586=y

Last edited by jensp (2008-03-11 20:04:05)

#492 2008-03-11 23:04:45

ighea

I think I have managed to fix the asusosd so it now shows correct status image for volume state. There's nothing else in this release.
Please post feature requests and report bugs.

http://kapsi.fi/~ighea/eee/acpi-eee/acp … pkg.tar.gz

Currently the acpi-script package supports
* Lid events, see /etc/acpi/lid.sh
* Sleep-button, /etc/acpi/suspend2ram.sh
* Display-buttton (LCD,VGA and both)
* Task manager -button, action can be defined in /etc/acpi/ap-button.sh
* Volume handling
* Shutting down with power button
* Screen brightness control
* WLAN-switching.. well, you can turn it off and hope it will still come back up! ;D

asusosd is included and only used for displaying status icons for events. You don't need to have it running if you don't want to.

(╯°□°)╯~ ┻━┻

#493 2008-03-12 00:40:38

toofishes
Developer
Website

jensp wrote:

Thanks a ton ise, finally works with your settings, the mic was always a bit distored for me, works great know.

And twofishes, I'd also like you to include dmcrypt support. For me that would mean including:

CONFIG_DM_CRYPT=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_AES_586=y

Do you need an initrd to do this anyway? I'd rather build it as a module but I can build it into the kernel if that is the best way to use this. Let me know.

#494 2008-03-12 05:55:44

djolk

The graphic for volume and brightness were my favourite thing about Xandros.
I was pretty excited I could have them when I installed arch

#495 2008-03-12 13:54:21

jensp

@toofishes
Building them as a module would be enough, while your at it, could you actually build all the CRYPTO stuff as modules? Others maybe chose different algorithms for encrypting their partitions. Thanks!

#496 2008-03-12 20:20:39

faelar
Website

it now shows correct status image for volume state.

When I look in /usr/share/asus_osd I find all the pictures. ACPI works (brightness etc..) but It displays nothing...

Netcfg2 works well, in addition with wicd on the eeepc.
I don't know for suspend as I'm not really using this function.
I hope they will fix the shutdown problem quickly.

Else I have a question, is someone using VNC on the EEE ? Tighvnc works, but has a problem with scrolling. If you have a better alternative.., I heard of the possibility to let the screen follow your cursor, but can't find anything about how to configure it.

I didn't succeed in using an external monitor with the intel driver. I added :

Virtual 1920 1080

to all the Display Subsection. Do I need something else ? Toofishes said he manage to have it working,..

#497 2008-03-12 20:45:57

vomix

faelar wrote:

When I look in /usr/share/asus_osd I find all the pictures. ACPI works (brightness etc..) but It displays nothing...

You have to launch /usr/bin/asusosd first! wink

Little question: is there a trick to save alsa levels at shutdown?  'Cause every time I'm booting my machine, mpd is screaming!
I've tried to add alsactl store in my /etc/rc.local.shutdown, but it doesn't work.

ighea, is there a way to run htop when hitting fn+f6?  I've added terminal -e htop in the dedicated file but it doesn't launch it.  That's weird, because when I'm typing it in a terminal, a new terminal running htop pop up and everything's ok.

Except that, your acpi package's fine, thanks. smile

#498 2008-03-12 20:49:09

zodmaner

vomix wrote:

Little question: is there a trick to save alsa levels at shutdown?  'Cause every time I'm booting my machine, mpd is screaming!
I've tried to add alsactl store in my /etc/rc.local.shutdown, but it doesn't work.

Did you have alsa in your daemon array in /etc/rc.conf? If so then it should automatically save your sound level when shutdown/restart.

#499 2008-03-12 20:55:28

ighea

vomix wrote:

ighea, is there a way to run htop when hitting fn+f6?  I've added terminal -e htop in the dedicated file but it doesn't launch it.  That's weird, because when I'm typing it in a terminal, a new terminal running htop pop up and everything's ok.

Try using AP_COMMAND="terminal -e htop".
Good to hear that everything is running mostly as it should. smile

Last edited by ighea (2008-03-12 20:58:22)

(╯°□°)╯~ ┻━┻

#500 2008-03-12 21:51:12

vomix

zodmaner wrote:

Did you have alsa in your daemon array in /etc/rc.conf? If so then it should automatically save your sound level when shutdown/restart.

Omg, that was lame!  Fixed, thanks. lol

ighea wrote:

Try using AP_COMMAND="terminal -e htop".

Nope, it doesn't work, even with a simple thing like AP_COMMAND=thunar
After installing your package, pacman said something about the /etc/acpi/events/anything file.  In fact, I didn't really understand, and modified the file as marked, but I'm not sure.  It's maybe related to those changes?

Board footer