You are not logged in.

#26 2007-11-20 01:28:51

stephelton

Re: xf86-input-evdev broken after upgrade

alexisdm's advice did the trick for me for my VX Nano. Unfortunately, the horizontal scroll has quit working. Originally, this was solved with the option:

Option          "HWHEELRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"

but now this has no effect (makes no difference whether it is present in my config or not.)

Here is my working config:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Simple Layout"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
        InputDevice    "touchpad" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "vx nano"  "SendCoreEvents"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

# kill the screen after 20 minutes
        Option "StandbyTime" "10"
        Option "SuspendTime" "15"
        Option "OffTime" "20"
EndSection

and

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "vx nano"
        Driver      "evdev"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/by-id/usb-Logitech_USB_Receiver-event-mouse"
        Option      "HWHEELRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"
EndSection

~Stephen

#27 2007-11-20 04:58:07

tanis

What do you use for horizontal wheel? Wheel tilt? I use left-tilt for middle button tongue

#28 2007-11-20 10:33:50

alexisdm

The options that appear in evdev sourcecode, seem to be
"Device" or "path" for the device name

"Button(ButtonName)MapTo",  where (ButtonName) is one of:
  "MISC_X (X between 1 and 15)", "MOUSE_X (X= "LEFT", "RIGHT", "MIDDLE", "SIDE"," EXTRA", "FORWARD", "BACK", "TASK" or a number)
with values "RelAxis (number or axis name)", "AbsAxis (number or name)", "Button (number or button name)" and "Buttons x y z" for mapping buttons to other buttons or axis,

"Rel(AxisName)MapTo" with same values as ButtonXXXMapTo and same AxisName as AbsXXXOptions below.

Abs(AxisName)Options, where (AxisName) can be one of:
  "X",  "Y",  "Z", "RX",  "RY",  "RZ", "TILT_X", "TILT_Y", "VOLUME", "MISC"
with values (space separated): invert,  use_touch, mode_auto, mode_rel

Rel(AxisName)Options, where (AxisName) can be one of:
  "X",  "Y", "Z", "RX", "RY", "RZ", "HWHEEL", "DIAL", "WHEEL", "MISC",  or any number between 10 and 15
with value: invert

"Mode" with values Absolute and Relative

Standard keyboard options (XkbRules, XkbModel, XkbLayout, XkbVariant, XkbOptions)

Option      "HWHEELRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"

should be:

Option      "RelHWHEELMapTo" "Buttons 7 6"

Edit: I forgot "Buttons" in the last expression

Last edited by alexisdm (2007-11-20 16:53:35)

#29 2007-11-20 12:44:41

Slash
Website

This thread is related to evdev, although I was getting the problems described BEFORE this latest update. Regardless, something is weird with the evdev drivers lately.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=300833

#30 2007-11-20 13:50:40

stephelton

alexisdm wrote:

The options that appear in evdev sourcecode, seem to be

Option      "RelHWHEELMapTo" "7 6"

This produced some errors in my x log and rendered my wheel tilt a complete no-op:

(EE) vx nano: Unable to find parser for '7 6' as a map specifier.

However, this option does the trick quite well:

Option      "RelHWHEELOptions" "invert"

Thanks a lot for posting your research, alexisdm. Once again my mouse is working flawlessly.

tanis wrote:

What do you use for horizontal wheel? Wheel tilt? I use left-tilt for middle button tongue

Tilting the wheel is most useful when mapped to forward/back (AFAIC). The vx nano has a little "search" button south of the wheel that works well as a middle button.

#31 2007-11-22 17:59:31

MAC!EK

Does usb mouse autodetection work for you?
When I start X without mouse plugged in (only touchpad) then after plugging it it doesn't work, till xorg restart.
Any ideas?

#32 2007-11-23 01:14:21

alexisdm

MAC!EK wrote:

Does usb mouse autodetection work for you?

You can use '/dev/input/mice' instead of both devices, but both devices will share the same options (3rd button emulation, button mapping...).
Xorg 7.3 should support hotplugging, but I don't know how to use or enable it.

#33 2007-11-29 12:27:47

RobbeR49

I looked a little more into this because I had problems with my mouse after upgrading to evdev 1.2 also. It looks like what happened is all of the old options you had to pass to it in your xorg.conf are now obsolete. It's now supposed to rely on input-hotplug which arrived in Xorg7.3 (and hal/dbus).

I managed to get it working by rebuilding xorg-server after modifying the PKGBUILD to include the patch from this bug report.

After the rebuild all I had to do was add "Option" "AllowEmptyInput" to the serverflags section in my xorg.conf, as it's mentioned as being needed on the X mailing lists.

next step was to delete all the input sections of my xorg.conf big_smile

After I started X my mouse and keyboard are working perfectly, no configuration needed, and both using the evdev driver.

#34 2007-12-09 00:58:15

dmartins

RobbeR49 wrote:

I looked a little more into this because I had problems with my mouse after upgrading to evdev 1.2 also. It looks like what happened is all of the old options you had to pass to it in your xorg.conf are now obsolete. It's now supposed to rely on input-hotplug which arrived in Xorg7.3 (and hal/dbus).

I managed to get it working by rebuilding xorg-server after modifying the PKGBUILD to include the patch from this bug report.

After the rebuild all I had to do was add "Option" "AllowEmptyInput" to the serverflags section in my xorg.conf, as it's mentioned as being needed on the X mailing lists.

next step was to delete all the input sections of my xorg.conf big_smile

After I started X my mouse and keyboard are working perfectly, no configuration needed, and both using the evdev driver.

Thanks! This seems to have worked for me:cool:

#35 2007-12-27 02:27:03

mildred
Website

Hi,

Thanks to you all, I solved (almost) all my problems, and I can now enjoy using my external mouse with horizontal scrolling. But ...

The problem is that the device path is hardcoded in xorg.conf and it is likely it is going to change at next reboot (or even if I suspend my laptop, I don't know). is there a way to make evdev autodetect it given the device name (as it was possible before) ?

And, this is a more tough issue ...
My mouse is an apple MightyMouse, that may be the reaseon, but I could use it without any problem before ... When I click on the button, a ButtonPress event is generated ... but until I release it, I get many more ButtonPress events (I know because I used xev). So the applications thinks that when I press the mouse button, I make very very fast double clicks ... and it prevents me from moving objects around the desktop (like windows).

So, it's somehow unusable (fortunately I still kave my touchpad). Do any of you have an idea of a solution ?

Thanks

Mildred

PS: my xorg.conf configuration:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "single head configuration"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Trackpad" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice    "MightyMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "MightyMouse"
    Driver      "evdev"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/event6"
    Option        "RelWHEELMapTo"  "Buttons 4 5"
    Option        "RelHWHEELMapTo" "Buttons 7 6"
EndSection

#36 2007-12-28 11:12:20

alexisdm

mildred wrote:

The problem is that the device path is hardcoded in xorg.conf and it is likely it is going to change at next reboot (or even if I suspend my laptop, I don't know). is there a way to make evdev autodetect it given the device name (as it was possible before) ?

The "device name" option was probably removed because the same can be achieved with udev. If you have already applied the patch provided here http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8702, there should be persistent symlinks in /dev/input/by-id.

#37 2007-12-28 12:21:50

JaQoB

alexisdm wrote:
mildred wrote:

The "device name" option was probably removed because the same can be achieved with udev. If you have already applied the patch provided here http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8702, there should be persistent symlinks in /dev/input/by-id.

After applied that patch, anyone still have hotplug? So that you can connect 
the mouse without restarting X?

#38 2008-01-01 16:40:36

fdac

I haven't updated my system in a while but did so today and had the same problem.  Evdev mouse stopped working completely.  By changing xorg.conf back to mouse driver (not evdev) I got basic functionality but not the extra back and forward buttons on my Logitech MX518.

I rolled back the xf86-input-evdev package to 1.1.5-4 and evdev worked again.  This was the simplest solution for me.

I agree with others that until xf86-input-evdev 1.2 "just works" it should not be in the current repos.

Cheers
Francis

Board footer