You are not logged in.

#51 2008-09-02 19:59:07

tonyisnt

Re: The Quasi-Official Thank You Thread

I haven't used these forums much at all (yet), and have only made a handful of threads looking for help (with an older login name), but one of the things that strikes me in an Arch is just different kind of way is the lack of judgment when it comes to helping out fellow users.  Allow me to explain.

On practically every other forum I've come across, every mailing list, etc., I've inevitably saw something along the lines of "Why would you want to do that?" or, similarly, people suggesting other things that aren't in answer to the original poster's question.  "Install [insert program] instead."  "Just uninstall it."  "Don't bother."

Of the help topics I have read here I have not seen this.  Questions aren't generally ignored; threads will generally have some responses.  People's desires aren't disregarded or changed into something else.  There seems to be a genuinely helpful spirit about the place.  Maybe this is truly what sets Arch users apart.  And even though there might be just a tinge of elitism (I don't say that in a bad way!), I don't think this community has been affected by the bottom-feeders that creep in as a community grows.

Knock on wood.

#52 2008-09-18 23:37:49

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I want to say thanks to all the developers and contributors for a great distro. The time that you put into this project is greatly appreciated and the results are impressive.

I only switched to Linux about 2 months ago and when I did, I had only heard of Arch a week before from someone through IRC. After 4 days of dissatisfaction with Ubuntu and a nightmare of trying to purge KDE4 from my system, I decided to give Arch a try. I was attracted to the Arch way and to what that person on IRC had said... "it doesn't hold your hand". Part of my reason for switching to Linux was to learn and to get more control over my system, and despite the learning curve for a Linux noob, it's been a fairly painless journey so far (discovering some general Linux limitations in terms of what I was used to is another thing though).

The package management system is great, but now that I've started tinkering with abs and makepkg, the true potential of the distro is becoming more apparent (and my ignorance in terms of compiling larger programs, but I'm working on that). I love the tools that Arch provides and the fact that you can do what you want with them. It's a great and elegant system.

Also, the Arch community is very helpful and knowledgeable, which improves the overall experience. It's nice to see that questions are quickly answered with different suggestions and solutions and that there is a wide range of approaches to problems within the community. Above all, the absence of the typical fanboy mentality that develops around distros/consoles/sports/whatever is refreshing.

Keep up the good work!

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#53 2008-09-24 01:12:52

itsgregman

Thanks to all involved. Ive been using Arch for about a week and want to say the system is fast stable and just all around well done. And the forums and wiki are also great. I was able to resolve all the issues with my system (minor though they were) without even having to post a single question. Once again great distro and thanks to all involved.

A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one.    Ben Franklin

#54 2008-10-22 22:26:18

icetonic

Thank you! Thanks everyone! Thank you for making a distribution teaching me a lot but still being comfortable, for this fun and great feeling having a system in which YOU yourself control every move... For this community... I'm using Arch for about just one week as well and already now I try to do something good (I adopted an AUR package)... Well, anything I can say was said by now... It's just... perfect smile

#55 2008-10-22 22:43:28

Spliff0987

Thanks everyone. Switching distro's is in the past now...... everything is working after 2 days of tweaking (thanks to wiki!!!)
it's working great!!!

#56 2008-11-13 10:26:21

LukynZ

Thank you for the great job like Archlinux is. This is stop in distro's trying. I don't need more. It is fast and easy to configure. Pacman is the best package manager I ever use. WELL DONE!!!!

#57 2008-11-15 09:42:15

mattfitz

I switched to Arch after using Ubuntu for around two months. There was nothing wrong with Ubuntu, but if/when things went wrong, or if I wanted to customize something or do something unusual, my searches always lead to the Arch forums. I noticed this trend, and after being constantly impressed by the helpful and knowledgeable community I read up on Arch. I was sold by the philosophy of simplicity, understanding and total control of one's system, and once I struggled through the install with virtually no linux experience under my belt I never looked back. Arch has been the best computing experience I have ever had, fast, stable, fully under my control, and full of opportunities to tinker. Thanks to the developers and community who make this all possible.

#58 2008-11-25 15:47:54

kaola_linux

Thanks to the brilliant ideas of everyone we had a cool Distro!!!! ^^

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3
Registered Linux User # 481212 / Machine Registration # 390468
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

#59 2008-12-11 11:54:45

kgas

All have been already said. I am using arch for the last 3 months. Why don't the team provide an Easter egg scrolling all the developers name and details? (suggestion). Keep it up.

#60 2008-12-28 18:06:31

nirvanix

I'm into my 5th year of Arch. There have been some rocky times to be sure - 'the great kernel panic of 07' for one, but overall it's still the best distro out there for the linux user that has a bit of tech savvy. It's a lean mean fightin' machine!

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...

#61 2008-12-29 08:01:28

Selection

Comming from fedora I assumed all linux distros were the same; gui installer, prefab configs, etc

I found arch a little while ago, and I've gotta say I'm in love.

Thank you all for providing such an amazing distrobution.
It times like these that I sit back and marvel at how all of this is free.

Much love and thanks guys; you deserve it big_smile

Arch64 + Awesome on Compal FL92 Laptop ~ Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz 4gig ram
All HAIL the tiling window manager.

#62 2008-12-29 12:10:48

ArchArael

That's a good thing. Thanks to all people that develop and contribute in some way to this great distro.

Thank you for your big heart and great passion and generosity.

The result is a wonderful community and a wonderful distro.

YOU make it possible. Thank you all.

Last edited by ArchArael (2008-12-29 12:14:41)

#63 2008-12-30 22:31:13

defrysk
Website

I would like to thank the Arch devs,  ArchWiki and everyone who helped me on #archlinux (+tncR) and wish them a Happy new year. (where is the happy new year thread?)

#64 2009-01-02 05:39:50

BKLive

I've been a Linux enthusiast for over twelve years now and I've come across a lot of distributions in that time with their share of ups and downs. I have to admit, Desktop Linux has emerged as a really exciting piece of the Linux puzzle that is attracting hordes of new recruits, but my love has always been how powerful and open the core Linux system is. Arch Linux has provided me with a great level of appreciation for the smaller cogs of the bigger machine, and while it's been a love-hate relationship (with many a CD being used as coasters while I mindlessly plug away in Xubuntu claiming I'm keeping it 'real' because I'm using XFCE instead of KDE or Gnome) I've always come back to Arch.

Maybe it's the sheer enjoyment I get every time I punch in

pacman -Syu

or the rush I get when I finally have X setup so I can turn my computer on without groaning at how much typing I'll have to do before something desirable happens (I'm an old man at heart). I have always been fascinated with Arch and sought time and again its flexible, agile, bleeding-edge format to grace my computer screen (as well as my t-shirts, desktop backgrounds, stickers, coffee mugs, hats...) and for that I'd like to thank the developers who have maintained their integrity to the concept by which Arch was founded. To keep it simple, whether you agree with the use of the term or not.

Thanks, too, to Judd and Aaron for being the competent helmsmen that they have proven themselves to be.

Last edited by BKLive (2009-01-02 05:41:55)

Main Arch Setup: HP Pavillion p7-1209, Quad-Core i3-2120 3.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Intel Graphics
Laptop Arch Setup: Gateway lt3103u Netbook, AMD Athlon64 1.2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, ATI X1270 R600

#65 2009-01-05 05:24:29

Starblade

I switched to Arch from RH a month back. A big thankyou to everyone involved with Arch. An awesome distro with great documentation and a friendly, helpful community.

/Starblade

#66 2009-01-05 06:57:41

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Since I failed to see this thread the first time around, I'll add my thanks this time.

Thanks, Arch devs, forum mods, newsletter editor and contributors, package maintainers, and others who make this such a fine distro. Your work is greatly appreciated.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#67 2009-01-05 06:59:38

skottish
Forum Fellow

I can't believe that I became a forum moderator after starting this thread. Behold the power of $5.37!

#68 2009-01-23 07:27:52

PheniX

It is my turn now big_smile
Thank you Arch team for this great distrib and his support !

#69 2009-01-25 00:52:48

orasis

gunnihinn wrote:

Thank you Arch developers, for me you've made using Linux truly fun.

I co-sign.

Fun, stable and a great learning experience.

And thank you most of all for creating powerful --yet simple Linux distrobution which stays the hell out of your way smile

I love Arch because it's so well done I forget what OS I'm using.. I get stuff done instead of 'tweaking' stuff all day -- At the same time if I feel like tweaking Arch gives me all of the power and does not stand in my way!

Thanks!

Thurin1 @ irc.freenode.net #archlinux

#70 2009-01-25 03:25:43

bgc1954

Can't believe I hadn't noticed this thread yet!  I'd just like to add my own thanks for everyone involved in making this such an enjoyable linux experience.  I started off many years ago--actually I think I cut my eye teeth on slackware and mandrake--go figure.  My distro hopping days are pretty much behind me but I still like to experiment with distros that look "interesting".  Having said that, Arch is what I use day to day on three of my own computers and a couple of family member's machines.  I find it just the way I like it.  I pick what I want and leave the rest of the junk behind.  THANKS again to all and all the helpful folks on the forum. big_smile

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#71 2009-01-25 17:06:46

ap_

Yeah, definately a big THANK YOU is in place to all developers and everyone involved. The users too, the forums and the wiki is a great resource for a newbie or for tips!

#72 2009-01-28 03:08:29

archlinuxsagi

Actually no words can describe my feelings when I found the true capabilities of Archlinux.
A bunch of dedicated developers, a great wiki and community
and a distro that let me have the full control of my pc.

And the best thing is no such thing as special privilege users who pays to get the premium stuff. :-)

Thank you Arch linux.

#73 2009-04-06 21:26:50

dkietzer
Website

I've been an exclusive "linux with training wheels" user for the past five years, using nearly every common distro out there at some point or another.  Recently though, my needs dictated a level of customization that the others just couldn't provide, but my confidence with the nitty-gritty of a linux system made me nervous.

Enter Arch Linux.  The wiki sold me first - clear and well-written steps to make a command-line install easy for even the most inept users.  So I took the plunge.  The install was a remarkable process in itself - seeing each of my own preferences, from base packages to graphical interface (Xfce) to multiple desktops, come to life before my eyes.  And with nothing else I didn't need in the way.  Every hurdle I came to, the answer was out there in the Arch community. 

Now I have a platform that does everything I need, how I need it, and completely void of anything I don't.  Computing at it's purest, most refined form. 

Thanks guys - I hope I can give back to this community a fraction of what it's given to me.

#74 2009-04-09 07:18:10

skoby

Started using Arch a few years ago and I fell in love right away. I was looking for something like slackware an gentoo only better, and I found it. AUR and pacman are truly amazing and is by far the best package mangement tool out there. As a developer and someone who is a total control freak - I love to be able to have precompiled packages and dependency management out there, but also to be able to compile all my packages and have it finely tuned specifically for my hardware if I so choose.

In short: Arch makes me all warm in fuzzy inside, lets me do what I need to do whilst not giving me a migraine, turning me grey nor driving me into a tower with guns.

To the people behind Arch... I love you <3 =]

#75 2009-04-14 00:20:24

sonoran

Came to Arch several months ago after Fedora 10 proved to be a nightmare for me to install & maintain.
Last night I upgraded to Kernel 2.6.29 and X-server 1.6, followed by a full system upgrade - all without a single problem.

Congratulations and Thank You to everyone who works on this outstanding project, you are artists of the digital realm and
your work is very much appreciated.

I plan to be here for the foreseeable future and will try to contribute however I can.

Thanks again!

Board footer