You are not logged in.

#226 2008-10-18 18:58:02

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: bmpanel

Nsf, you asked for our input.  Here's mine:
I think it looks very, very nice.  You probably _need_ a themes system to have such a flexibility in designing custom panel looks.
Personally I'm a real freak related to files in my ~.  (My ~ is under version control).  So I really like textfiles (not binary), and the simpler they are, the more I like them (eg I prefer a simple txt config over a theme).  Of course is this a very personal, and even techical reason.
So I think I'll just need to skip this panel, even though it looks nice.  But I really like my principles cool

Also, it looks like bmpanel does not implement XDG specifications.  Take a look at http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedi … c-0.6.html . It's very easy to implement.

beautiful! Where can i get that wallpaper?

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#227 2008-10-19 11:10:15

nsf
Website

Dieter@be wrote:

Nsf, you asked for our input.  Here's mine:
I think it looks very, very nice.  You probably _need_ a themes system to have such a flexibility in designing custom panel looks.
Personally I'm a real freak related to files in my ~.  (My ~ is under version control).  So I really like textfiles (not binary), and the simpler they are, the more I like them (eg I prefer a simple txt config over a theme).  Of course is this a very personal, and even techical reason.
So I think I'll just need to skip this panel, even though it looks nice.  But I really like my principles cool

Also, it looks like bmpanel does not implement XDG specifications.  Take a look at http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedi … c-0.6.html . It's very easy to implement.

Themes are textfiles. And they have the simplest format in the world. But of course themes have images too. It's bitmap panel! It's the _idea_.
About XDG, shortly - no.
There are good and necessary standards. But also there are totally useless standards. XDG is one of them.

Last edited by nsf (2008-10-19 11:14:11)

Bmpanel2 and obkey developer.

#228 2008-10-27 08:15:20

Heller_Barde

nsf wrote:

About XDG, shortly - no.
There are good and necessary standards. But also there are totally useless standards. XDG is one of them.

hmm. why not? it's incredibly convenient to have all the configuration in one folder so it does not clutter up your ~
I start my bmpanel with bmpanel /full/path/to/my/own/theme so it does not affect me very much. but xdg finally tries to unify all the data, config, themes, even the cache. how is that unnecessary or useless?

cheers Barde

#229 2008-10-27 10:57:23

nsf
Website

Heller_Barde wrote:
nsf wrote:

About XDG, shortly - no.

hmm. why not? it's incredibly convenient to have all the configuration in one folder so it does not clutter up your ~
I start my bmpanel with bmpanel /full/path/to/my/own/theme so it does not affect me very much. but xdg finally tries to unify all the data, config, themes, even the cache. how is that unnecessary or useless?

cheers Barde

I understand that. But it's too late for this standard, there are already a lot of software which mess your ~. These dirs are hidden anyway, why bother? My ~ contains 200+ dot files, so.. It's too late to make ordering here. But if you really want this, it's easy, patch bmpanel.. There is only one string define related to HOME dir:
#define HOME_THEME_PATH "/.bmpanel/themes"
Change it to whatever xdg says.

#230 2008-10-27 12:37:32

Heller_Barde

nsf wrote:

I understand that. But it's too late for this standard, there are already a lot of software which mess your ~. These dirs are hidden anyway, why bother? My ~ contains 200+ dot files, so.. It's too late to make ordering here. But if you really want this, it's easy, patch bmpanel.. There is only one string define related to HOME dir:

agreed. there really is already too much software messing $HOME up. but there is actually a growing number of apps that don't do that (awesome3 started to do it) so i think it' wise not to develop further software not doing it. even if its just one little app against 200 others lol:D
i already did patch it, today in the morning to adhere to xdg standards. i will release the patch once i am sure i didn't mess up. i didn't mean to offend you, i was just curious about the background of your opinion smile

PS: yesterday i took some time to actually clean up my home folder big_smile , i think i threw away about 100 dotfolders -.-
PPS: i like to do a ls -lA in my home folder to find stuff and then its very annoying if all the (sometimes very old) config stuff is clogging up the output

#231 2008-10-27 12:59:04

nsf
Website

Heller_Barde wrote:
nsf wrote:

agreed. there really is already too much software messing $HOME up. but there is actually a growing number of apps that don't do that (awesome3 started to do it) so i think it' wise not to develop further software not doing it. even if its just one little app against 200 others lol:D
i already did patch it, today in the morning to adhere to xdg standards. i will release the patch once i am sure i didn't mess up. i didn't mean to offend you, i was just curious about the background of your opinion smile

PS: yesterday i took some time to actually clean up my home folder big_smile , i think i threw away about 100 dotfolders -.-
PPS: i like to do a ls -lA in my home folder to find stuff and then its very annoying if all the (sometimes very old) config stuff is clogging up the output

Hm.. Actually, you're right I guess. I'll add XDG thing to TODO list.

#232 2008-10-27 13:02:23

Heller_Barde

nsf wrote:

actually you could wait for my patch smile i'll see that i can get it to you some time this week wink one thing less to think about for you smile

#233 2008-10-27 13:11:47

nsf
Website

Heller_Barde wrote:
nsf wrote:

actually you could wait for my patch smile i'll see that i can get it to you some time this week wink one thing less to think about for you smile

I can, sure, and I will. Well if it will be good patch it's awesome. In whole bmpanel's history people sent me non-production quality patches. I had to fix them anyway. Patches were small and it was much faster to rewrite them from scratch smile
You can send me this patch to email (no.smile.face@gmail.com) when it's ready.

#234 2008-11-08 00:32:09

Heller_Barde

i finished the patch. but since it's half past 1 in the night here, i will look at it tomorrow again so it does not break something horribly, okay?

cheers Barde

#235 2008-11-23 07:13:50

my0pic

Hi nsf. bmpanel is great! Thanks very much. I've been using this now for about a week and the only very minor hiccup I encountered was that it would still be running after I logout of my session. I use compiz fusion as a standalone wm and start/exit the session with fusion-icon. If after I logout I log back in, the previous instance of bmpanel would be maxing out the processor. The solution was to kill bmpanel on session logoff instead as that has the same effect as killing fusion-icon.
Great work smile

nsf wrote:
zodmaner wrote:

Look nice. smile Does it have auto-hide feature?

No, and not planned yet. But it is open source, you can make it by yourself wink

Achieved this by putting it on the widget layer with compiz fusion.

Last edited by my0pic (2008-11-23 07:20:22)

#236 2008-11-23 23:57:07

nsf
Website

my0pic wrote:

Hi nsf. bmpanel is great! Thanks very much. I've been using this now for about a week and the only very minor hiccup I encountered was that it would still be running after I logout of my session. I use compiz fusion as a standalone wm and start/exit the session with fusion-icon. If after I logout I log back in, the previous instance of bmpanel would be maxing out the processor. The solution was to kill bmpanel on session logoff instead as that has the same effect as killing fusion-icon.

Well, I can't even tell you what is wrong here smile Maybe it's some other app's fault, maybe it's bmpanel's fault. Personally, I don't like compiz fusion and all this 'composite' thing, and adding composite support into bmpanel was my mistake. I like simple things and composite isn't one of them. And this area (accelerated rendering) in X is still messy, I hope 5-10 years later there will be really nice improvements.

So, I'm glad you like it, but I can't help you smile

#237 2009-01-26 20:12:21

Kyle Carter

Hey, sorry to bump an old thread...  But is there a way to make BMPanel close a window on right-click or middle-click or have a context menu, etc? I couldn't find anything in the theme config, but this seems like a pretty standard behavior.

#238 2009-01-26 20:51:11

pyther
Website

I think you best bet would be to program it in yourself. I can't imagine it being that hard if you have some programming experience, but what do I know!

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#239 2009-01-26 21:29:58

Kyle Carter

Yeah, I don't have any such experience, I was hoping there was an option in there somewhere that I just missed somehow.

#240 2009-02-27 19:35:28

wankel
Website

Kyle Carter wrote:

Hey, sorry to bump an old thread...  But is there a way to make BMPanel close a window on right-click or middle-click or have a context menu, etc? I couldn't find anything in the theme config, but this seems like a pretty standard behavior.

I would be interested in this as well. How does one go about programming this into bmpanel?

#241 2009-02-27 19:47:38

nsf
Website

wankel wrote:
Kyle Carter wrote:

I would be interested in this as well. How does one go about programming this into bmpanel?

Currently, bmpanel2 is in development/designing process. So, I'll consider this thing definitely. I'm doing this because I'm not happy with current source base and libraries base (imlib2) and other small things. And it will take some time (probably a lot) but I'll finish this work, no doubts. Current bmpanel version showed me a lot about what users want and what panel needs and that was its destiny smile

Last edited by nsf (2009-02-27 19:48:16)

#242 2009-02-27 23:03:52

pogeymanz

My suggestions are to have a context menu on right-clicking that has options like Restore/Minimize, Sticky, Move to Workspace x, and Close.

Also, window grouping is kind of important to me.

If these were both present in another panel, I could consider dropping xfce4-panel. As it stands, I wont use anything else.

I'm not coming in here and making demands, by the way. I just figured I would let you know why I'm not using Bmpanel since it sounds like you're doing a rewrite. big_smile

Last edited by pogeymanz (2009-02-27 23:04:19)

#243 2009-02-27 23:41:20

DonVla

pogeymanz wrote:

My suggestions are to have a context menu on right-clicking that has options like Restore/Minimize, Sticky, Move to Workspace x, and Close.

actually the simplicity is what's so cool about bmpanel.
if bmpanel would have a right/left click context (or more) menu than bmpanel would be like every other panel.
though i second a simple functionality like:
* left click - iconize/restore window (like now)
* middle click - kill/exit app
* right click - maximize/minimize (restore) window.

#244 2009-02-28 00:44:12

wankel
Website

nsf wrote:
wankel wrote:
Kyle Carter wrote:

Currently, bmpanel2 is in development/designing process. So, I'll consider this thing definitely. I'm doing this because I'm not happy with current source base and libraries base (imlib2) and other small things. And it will take some time (probably a lot) but I'll finish this work, no doubts. Current bmpanel version showed me a lot about what users want and what panel needs and that was its destiny smile

Sweet, good luck with the project, definitely looking forward to it smile

#245 2009-02-28 15:17:37

nsf
Website

I have a question to all bmpanel users. What do you think about GTK as bmpanel2 base?

GTK is a nice and solid base for such project and solves few problems (like composite drawing, tray support via xembed, context menus for tasks). Also using xlib directly is a pain in the known place.

But on the other hand, GTK brings the complexity (which is unnecessary) and other problems. For example currently it doesn't support shaped widgets and I'll be forced to deal with its object model. Also GTK doesn't play nice with my theme approach and I expect few problems in that area. And finally with GTK it is pointless to think about memory usage optimizations and number of mallocs/frees, since those are already out of control in xcb/xlib/glib/gobject/gdk/gtk stack. GTK "hello world" application does about 10000-12000 allocations on a start. Every competent game developer (these guys are experts in optimization and the "right way" of doing software) will be agreed that such behaviour is a total fail, even if it doesn't run slowly. Current bmpanel (it's a complete application!) does 2000-3000 allocs, it's a total fail also, but it's much better than GTK! I mean of course GTK works fast and nice on modern PCs, because it's the core2duo inside, but that fact doesn't give us (programmers) the right to forget about correct and nice programming. I'm actually really pessimistic about current linux desktop software, because it's a total crap. But we have to live with it and even make programs for it. So, the right choice is to do software as best as you can, even if the base for your software sucks.

I definitely wish to use gdk-pixbuf or cairo and pango for drawing. But I'm not sure about the GTK itself.

That's a kind of thoughts eating my brain this weekend.

#246 2009-03-01 11:48:25

alelinuxbsd

I would like use this panel on pewkwm but i have some problem:
1) the panel don't appear exactly on the bottom of the monitor but there is a space from the bottom of about 1 cm;
2) i would like specify some manual voice on menu but i don't known:
When i using fpanel on menu i write:

Plugin {
    type = launchbar
    config {

button {
            icon = xterm
            image=/usr/share/pixmaps/xterm-color_32x32.xpm
            tooltip = Terminal
            action = xterm
        }

3) The next release of your project will be more portable to other environments such as the BSD and OpenSolaris?

Thanks. smile

Note:
Sorry for my english.

#247 2009-03-01 14:02:04

nsf
Website

alelinuxbsd wrote:

I would like use this panel on pewkwm but i have some problem:
1) the panel don't appear exactly on the bottom of the monitor but there is a space from the bottom of about 1 cm;

Have you tried git version? It is possible that this is a bug, can you fully describe the situation? Do you have multiple panels on your desktop (for example one on top, and one on bottom)? What version of pekwm are you using? Screenshot also would be nice.
There are two possible variants: it's a bmpanel bug or it's a pekwm bug. PekWM isn't the nicest WM out there.

alelinuxbsd wrote:

2) i would like specify some manual voice on menu but i don't known:
When i using fpanel on menu i write:

Plugin {
    type = launchbar
    config {

button {
            icon = xterm
            image=/usr/share/pixmaps/xterm-color_32x32.xpm
            tooltip = Terminal
            action = xterm
        }

Currently there are no launchers in bmpanel and even no plugin system. And I'm not sure about bmpanel2, because I would like to keep it simple.

alelinuxbsd wrote:

3) The next release of your project will be more portable to other environments such as the BSD and OpenSolaris?

Have no idea. I'm changing a base of the project (core libraries), so maybe it will cause some kind of side effect on portability. Portability wasn't my goal and never will be, I like bleeding edge linux and it will be my target. However, it doesn't mean that I will reject patches which add support for other platforms.

Last edited by nsf (2009-03-02 13:48:06)

#248 2009-03-05 13:11:16

Shapeshifter

nsf wrote:

I have a question to all bmpanel users. What do you think about GTK as bmpanel2 base?

If you thought about GTK, I'm sure you'd also think about Qt. I have used it before and it is very simple, easy to program and convenient. It's also said that it's supposed to be "better" in some other more technical aspects, but I don't know about that.

Also, there are enough GTK panels out there already. fbpanel, lxpanel, gnome-panel... I'm thinking about writing a Panel using Qt but it would be a while until that happens.

by the way: To me, support for optional NETWM hints would be much more important than the look and feel (which I already like).

Last edited by Shapeshifter (2009-03-05 13:12:38)

#249 2009-03-05 13:52:15

nsf
Website

Shapeshifter wrote:

If you thought about GTK, I'm sure you'd also think about Qt. I have used it before and it is very simple, easy to program and convenient. It's also said that it's supposed to be "better" in some other more technical aspects, but I don't know about that.

Also, there are enough GTK panels out there already. fbpanel, lxpanel, gnome-panel... I'm thinking about writing a Panel using Qt but it would be a while until that happens.

by the way: To me, support for optional NETWM hints would be much more important than the look and feel (which I already like).

All GTK panels use GTK themes. Bmpanel2 will use bmpanel1 theme style, no matter what platform it will be based on. Actually themes will be more flexible (I have few thoughts about that).
Qt is not a variant, since I don't like C++ (even with nice introspection from Qt's moc addition).

Currently the choice is between Pango+Cairo and GTK. And GTK actually uses pango and cairo, so the choice is - to use GTK or not to use smile

Last edited by nsf (2009-03-05 13:52:33)

#250 2009-03-06 11:50:08

na12

How to rename desktops,I have desktop1,desktop2...,but I want something different  to put.

Board footer