You are not logged in.

#101 2008-03-06 18:12:53

Sjoden
Website

Re: bmpanel

Just tried bmpanel yesterday. It is amazing, great work nsf! I used it in pekwm(which I also tried for the first time) with the default/blueish theme. It worked perfectly, although I only used urxvt and firefox. Keep up the great work.

-Zack

#102 2008-03-07 14:08:20

hk2717

bmpanel says "failed to load font: Bitstream Vera Sans/7", is this relate to my freetype2-lcd?

Last edited by hk2717 (2008-03-07 14:12:06)

#103 2008-03-07 20:40:55

nsf
Website

hk2717 wrote:

bmpanel says "failed to load font: Bitstream Vera Sans/7", is this relate to my freetype2-lcd?

bmpanel uses font file names.
It means for bitstream font you should specify something like: Vera/7 or VeraBI/7 depends on font file name.
Here are my Vera font files:

[nsf @ TTF]$ ls | grep Vera
Vera.ttf
VeraBI.ttf
VeraBd.ttf
VeraIt.ttf
VeraMoBI.ttf
VeraMoBd.ttf
VeraMoIt.ttf
VeraMono.ttf
VeraSe.ttf
VeraSeBd.ttf

I know it's ugly. But sorry for now it's the only way.

In other words you just cut off ".ttf" and replace it with font size "/7"

Last edited by nsf (2008-03-07 20:42:56)

Bmpanel2 and obkey developer.

#104 2008-03-11 00:32:58

Sjoden
Website

Is there a way to use a 12 hour clock/am pm instead of a 24 hour clock. I've tried changing the variables but I must not have done it right.

#105 2008-03-11 03:42:16

cbxzcm

Sjoden wrote:

Is there a way to use a 12 hour clock/am pm instead of a 24 hour clock. I've tried changing the variables but I must not have done it right.

I  have the line:

clock_format  %-l:%M %p

In the theme file of the theme that I'm using.

#106 2008-03-11 03:53:24

mrcold

Sjoden wrote:

clock_format             %I:%M:%S %p

this currently is displayed on my computer as:
10:52:02 PM

#107 2008-03-11 17:40:13

Sjoden
Website

@cbxzcm & mrcold, thank you so much, thats exactly what I wanted!

-Zack

#108 2008-03-12 17:14:19

bslagowski

I get a font error every time I try to start it. I have Freetype and Freetype-devel versions 2.3 installed. I have imlib2 and imlib2-devel versions 1.4 installed. I'm also using the name "cut off" before .ttf as you specified earlier. No luck though.

starting bmpanel with theme: native
failed to load font: DejaVuLGCSans/9
fatal loading error
failed to load font: DejaVuSans/14
fatal loading error
failed to load theme: native

What really confuses me is that second error, failing to load DejaVuSans since NOWHERE in my theme file do I have DejaVuSans. Is there a default config somewhere else? Does it try to load themes in ~.bmpanel/themes and then resort to /usr/share/bmpanel/themes?

Last edited by bslagowski (2008-03-12 17:16:36)

#109 2008-03-13 00:35:16

mrcold

bslagowski wrote:

I get a font error every time I try to start it. I have Freetype and Freetype-devel versions 2.3 installed. I have imlib2 and imlib2-devel versions 1.4 installed. I'm also using the name "cut off" before .ttf as you specified earlier. No luck though.

fatal loading error
fatal loading error

What really confuses me is that second error, failing to load DejaVuSans since NOWHERE in my theme file do I have DejaVuSans. Is there a default config somewhere else? Does it try to load themes in ~.bmpanel/themes and then resort to /usr/share/bmpanel/themes?

it is trying to start the native theme(the blue one).. not whatever one you want. To start a different one the command is

bmpanel theme

did you try that?
If thats not working, try moving your theme to the /usr/share/... folder and see if that works

#110 2008-03-13 00:36:13

mrcold

bslagowski wrote:

fatal loading error
fatal loading error

it is trying to start the native theme(the blue one).. not whatever one you want. To start a different one the command is

bmpanel theme

where 'theme' is the name of your theme(that is the name of the folder your theme is stored in)
did you try that?
If thats not working, try moving your theme to the /usr/share/... folder and see if that works

#111 2008-03-13 05:05:32

bslagowski

I'm aware of how to switch themes, neither the "redmini" or "native" themes supplied with bmpanel seem to work. I edited the theme in /usr/share to use my own supplied font and that fixes the issue with it using DejaVuSans. It seems that it tries to first use the theme in the users .bmpanel/themes folder and then tries /usr/share. Makes sense, but doesn't help me.

I think my issue must be with the fonts. What is the version requirement for freetype? I thought I saw somewhere in here that it was 2.3.

#112 2008-03-13 14:27:26

Perre

nsf wrote:

I really think config file isn't necessary. Because everything what you should do is to add line to your .xinitrc:

bmpanel MySuperTheme &

And that's all the configuration smile

I use autostart.sh in openbox. I've put in

bmpanel &

and it start just fine. But I really don't understand how to use another theme... hmm
I've copied everything from /usr/share/bmpanel/themes/ to ~/.bmpanel and I then
change "bmpanel &" to "bmpanel Sandwich-black &" in autostart.sh, but then the panel
doesn't start at all. Do I have to edit .xinitrc or can I just use autostart.sh??

What am I doing wrong?? I'm kinda noob so I guess the sollution is staring straight at me. smile

#113 2008-03-13 17:46:01

Mazaev
Website

Perre wrote:
nsf wrote:

I really think config file isn't necessary. Because everything what you should do is to add line to your .xinitrc:

bmpanel MySuperTheme &

bmpanel &

and it start just fine. But I really don't understand how to use another theme... hmm
change "bmpanel &" to "bmpanel Sandwich-black &" in autostart.sh, but then the panel
doesn't start at all. Do I have to edit .xinitrc or can I just use autostart.sh??

What am I doing wrong?? I'm kinda noob so I guess the sollution is staring straight at me. smile

Try running it from the command line to troubleshoot. The Sandwich* themes by default use a font that needs to be downloaded separately, so it's probably not loading because of that. Edit the theme file (~/.bmpanel/themes/Sandwich-*/theme) and change the font to something you already have on your system. Note that the font gets specified 3 times in the config file and all 3 must be changed.

Speaking of that Sandwich theme, btw, I've downloaded the font that's specified in it and it STILL won't load with it. Tried putting it in ~/.fonts and /usr/share/fonts/TTF, re-ran fc-update and such, and it still dies with a font error. Any suggestions? Other fonts do work ok.

Last edited by Mazaev (2008-03-13 17:46:34)

#114 2008-03-13 18:26:40

Perre

Mazaev wrote:
Perre wrote:
nsf wrote:

bmpanel MySuperTheme &

bmpanel &

Try running it from the command line to troubleshoot. The Sandwich* themes by default use a font that needs to be downloaded separately, so it's probably not loading because of that. Edit the theme file (~/.bmpanel/themes/Sandwich-*/theme) and change the font to something you already have on your system. Note that the font gets specified 3 times in the config file and all 3 must be changed.

Speaking of that Sandwich theme, btw, I've downloaded the font that's specified in it and it STILL won't load with it. Tried putting it in ~/.fonts and /usr/share/fonts/TTF, re-ran fc-update and such, and it still dies with a font error. Any suggestions? Other fonts do work ok.

Thanks! smile Ran it from terminal and the fonts are the ones giving me problems.

#115 2008-03-14 23:30:23

Perre

BTW: Is it possible to have a transparent bmpanel??

#116 2008-03-15 10:26:14

nsf
Website

Mazaev wrote:

Don't know what can it be. You can try to use absolute paths.

Perre wrote:

BTW: Is it possible to have a transparent bmpanel??

Composite managers can change transparency of all windows. So, if you have good composite manager (not sure if there is at least one), you can tell him to make bmpanel transparent. But currently you can't use alpha channel in bmpanel skins to make really nice effects. I'm not familiar with composite extension and working now on another project. Not sure if any changes will be made to bmpanel by me in future sad

#117 2008-03-15 14:33:25

Mazaev
Website

nsf wrote:
Mazaev wrote:

Don't know what can it be. You can try to use absolute paths.

Thanks, that did the trick.

#118 2008-03-25 14:07:57

Marcel-

Your panel is great, nsf, thanks a lot!

But... I also experience a problem with PekWM and something else.

1) When I minimize a window, select another window (by clicking on it, not just working in the next top-level window) and then try to open the minimized window again, the window gets selected and gets focus, but doesn't appear on top. Perhaps this is a configuration issue with PekWM, I am just using it since yesterday. wink

2) Something annoying: when using the mouse wheel over a button, bmpanel acts as if the button was clicked (I was a bit confused when another window popped up out of the blue).

Anyway, thanks again!

#119 2008-03-26 16:39:26

nsf
Website

Marcel- wrote:

1) When I minimize a window, select another window (by clicking on it, not just working in the next top-level window) and then try to open the minimized window again, the window gets selected and gets focus, but doesn't appear on top. Perhaps this is a configuration issue with PekWM, I am just using it since yesterday. wink

Try openbox wink

Marcel- wrote:

2) Something annoying: when using the mouse wheel over a button, bmpanel acts as if the button was clicked (I was a bit confused when another window popped up out of the blue).
Anyway, thanks again!

Yep, wheel is a mouse button in X too. It works simple: When you click RMB anywhere on panel, panel hides windows and shows desktop. When you click other buttons (including wheel), panel checks if there is any button under pointer and it "clicks" on it. I don't want to change anything.

I'm still accepting patches, but I'm not listening user demands. Sorry smile

Last edited by nsf (2008-03-26 16:39:53)

#120 2008-03-29 17:59:38

noalwin

If a window it's in all Desktops itget's removed from the panel. I'm using openbox.

#121 2008-03-30 09:09:34

nsf
Website

noalwin wrote:

If a window it's in all Desktops itget's removed from the panel. I'm using openbox.

Thank you for bug report. But I'm sorry, I'm already released 0.9.13 and just saw this report after that. So, bug will be fixed in next release.
Also I have serious design problems with this bug (don't know how I missed this) and I can't just fix it in 5 minutes.

0.9.13:

* Modified build script, Imlib >= 1.4.0 is necessary now. Also building with gcc -march=native option. This decission leads to gcc >= 4.2.0 dependency (afair, maybe other version actually, anyway arch users are happy with gcc 4.3.0)
* Size hints bug fix, supplied by Mikael Magnusson.
* Sorted order corruption fix when moving window from one desktop to another.

updated: damn, I forgot to update version string again.
bmpanel --version still outputs 0.9.10 big_smile sorry for that

Last edited by nsf (2008-03-30 09:21:39)

#122 2008-03-30 09:59:23

nsf
Website

I guess I will be famous with my fast release style smile But I can't sit still when there is a known bug.

0.9.14:

* Panel shows windows with desktop == -1 (show on all desktops) correctly now.
* 'bmpanel --version' shows correct version.

Happy using. smile
I hope I didn't make some new bugs while fixing these.

Last edited by nsf (2008-03-30 10:02:26)

#123 2008-03-30 17:07:56

pyther
Website

Awesome panel, great work, I'm loving it!!

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#124 2008-04-07 17:04:02

scottro
Website

This looks quite nice and I want to try it.  At work, however, I'm on Fedora and it doesn't seem to recognize Fedora's libev.  Is there a known workaround?  (I've only done a quick forum search for bmpanel and libev which didn't return anything.)

#125 2008-04-11 17:57:57

nsf
Website

scottro wrote:

This looks quite nice and I want to try it.  At work, however, I'm on Fedora and it doesn't seem to recognize Fedora's libev.  Is there a known workaround?  (I've only done a quick forum search for bmpanel and libev which didn't return anything.)

Are you sure that Fedora has libev? There is another similar and very popular library called libevent.
And if it has, everything should work fine. Compiler should know where to find ev.h (main libev header file) and libev.a/libev.so. I'm not doing something special to find any of these. So, if you have ev.h in your /usr/include or /usr/local/include and libev.a/libev.so in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib, everything really should work.

Board footer