You are not logged in.

#151 2008-05-27 04:25:54

droog

Re: bmpanel

nsf wrote:

And one more screeny fully showing new bmpanel skinning abilities. Sorry, I'm bad artist.
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/05/2 … 40x900.jpg (jpg version, 200kb)
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/05/2 … 40x900.png (png version, 900kb)

ya very nice, any chance you can post that theme so i can see how you did it?

#152 2008-05-27 05:42:29

nsf
Website

droog wrote:
nsf wrote:

And one more screeny fully showing new bmpanel skinning abilities. Sorry, I'm bad artist.
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/05/2 … 40x900.jpg (jpg version, 200kb)
http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/05/2 … 40x900.png (png version, 900kb)

ya very nice, any chance you can post that theme so i can see how you did it?

Yes, be patient please smile I have added some changes to bmpanel themes already and I think there are more to go. All changes will be introduced in next release and of course there will be following themes as an example.
I planned a lot, mainly I need to make all these composite changes stable and prepare theme engine for artists, so they can make everything what they want to. And that's why release will be very soon. I need feedback.

Bmpanel2 and obkey developer.

#153 2008-05-27 07:02:26

nsf
Website

0.9.19:

* Compositing managers support, bmpanel can select ARGB visuals now. Rendering happens with Render extension. So, you need xcomposite, xrender extensions for xorg and composite enabled on server side. Compositing manager is needed too (xcompmgr as an example, actually I was testing all this stuff with it and only with it, but compiz should work too). However when compositing is disabled you don't need compositing manager and composite extension enabled on server side.
( http://www.picamatic.com/show/2008/05/2 … 40x900.jpg the same screen as yesterday, this is an 'arch' theme )
* new theme parameter 'use_composite [1|0]', tells bmpanel to use composite or not to use.
* new theme parameter 'height_override [integer]', forces panel height, usable for themes with a lot of transparent stuff.
* theme render changes, you shouldn't notice them.
* 'native' theme are using composite by default, this theme is short example for argb abilities.
* 'arch' theme isn't shipped with bmpanel, can be downloaded here: http://nsf.110mb.com/bmpanel/arch.tar.gz - better example for argb abilities.

I will try to answer all questions about this release. Please ask here or via email.
Thank you for using bmpanel.

Last edited by nsf (2008-05-27 07:10:02)

#154 2008-05-27 10:39:16

pyther
Website

I can not get the native theme to load (the panel is on the desktop, you just can't see it!), however the arch them loads just fine.

Also when you click on the "A" in the arch theme, it switches over to the desktop 1, is this a bug or is this suppose to happen (doesn't bother me either way)

I love the arch theme, great work!!!

Thank you so much!

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#155 2008-05-27 11:05:03

nsf
Website

pyther wrote:

I can not get the native theme to load (the panel is on the desktop, you just can't see it!), however the arch them loads just fine.

It's kinda strange sad I will wait until more messages about native theme will appear.

pyther wrote:

Also when you click on the "A" in the arch theme, it switches over to the desktop 1, is this a bug or is this suppose to happen (doesn't bother me either way)

It's not a bug, "A" in arch theme is a part of button actually. Currently there is no other way to do this. Also you may notice that when you're clicking near "A" on transparent space buttons are being clicked also. This will be fixed in future. I need to figure out how to work with shape extension.

pyther wrote:

I love the arch theme, great work!!!
Thank you so much!

np smile

#156 2008-05-27 19:51:59

pyther
Website

When using the arch theme, there is no place for the system tray icons :-/
I get this error when I start an app with a system tray icon (in the terminal that is running bmpanel)

starting bmpanel with theme: arch
X error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) (resource id: 14680066)

Edit: Screenshot: http://pyther.net/a/bmpanel-arch.png

Last edited by pyther (2008-05-27 19:58:10)

#157 2008-05-27 20:03:06

droog

pyther wrote:

I get this error when I start an app with a system tray icon (in the terminal that is running bmpanel)

I was just coming to post this too, the icon appears in the tray for a half second then jumps to the top of the screen, but other than that everything else is working the same.

#158 2008-05-27 20:16:36

pyther
Website

Also if I change the transparency to 0 in the native theme it shows, but when I change it back to one it doesn't. This is the command I'm using for transparency.

xcompmgr -C

#159 2008-05-27 22:22:55

icrave

I have created a theme with the appearance of gnome-panel + clearlooks.

bmpanel_clearlooks557.jpg.xs.jpg

Here is the download link: http://recorder.googlecode.com/files/clearlooks.tar.bz2

Thanks for this great panel.

#160 2008-05-28 05:03:30

nsf
Website

pyther wrote:

starting bmpanel with theme: arch
X error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) (resource id: 14680066)

Edit: Screenshot: http://pyther.net/a/bmpanel-arch.png

droog wrote:

I was just coming to post this too, the icon appears in the tray for a half second then jumps to the top of the screen, but other than that everything else is working the same.

I will see what I can do. For now, consider compositing managers support as buggy experimental feature smile

icrave wrote:

I have created a theme with the appearance of gnome-panel + clearlooks.

http://xs127.xs.to/xs127/08223/bmpanel_ … jpg.xs.jpg

Here is the download link: http://recorder.googlecode.com/files/clearlooks.tar.bz2

Nice one!

Last edited by nsf (2008-05-28 05:04:58)

#161 2008-05-28 09:51:08

nsf
Website

Well, I searched a solution for systray problem. It looks like the problem is big and deep sad The reason why my panel kicks out tray icons when using composite mode is simple. Icons are windows actually, which are being reparented by bmpanel. But bmpanel can't reparent them because gtk tray windows have 24 bit depth (RGB, not RGBA), and panel has 32 bit depth. X can't do this, because icons have ParentRelative as a background pixmap. For reparent operations both windows should have a same depth.

I found a aseigo's blog entries about the same problem. He faced it while working on 'plasma' (new KDE desktop stuff, panels, desklets, etc.). And after I have read all this stuff I don't know should I do hacks and workarounds or someone else somewhere else should fix this. It might be a X problem or GTK/Qt problem. The simplest solution that I can do is to force disabling tray in composite mode.

A bmpanel user might use a bmpanel in composite mode and a standalone tray such as a 'stalonetray'.

Last edited by nsf (2008-05-28 09:57:30)

#162 2008-05-28 13:04:34

droog

If you do it this way have bmpanel error on height_override if composite isn't enabled so people dont get a big white bar above the panel when using a composite
theme without composite enabled so they can use the tray? and wow it was looking so nice sorry you ran into this problem.

#163 2008-05-28 14:56:13

nsf
Website

droog wrote:

If you do it this way have bmpanel error on height_override if composite isn't enabled so people dont get a big white bar above the panel when using a composite
theme without composite enabled so they can use the tray? and wow it was looking so nice sorry you ran into this problem.

I think theme author can decide should his theme be used with composite or not. For example he also can make 2 versions of his theme: one for using with composite and another for using in old-fashion way.
height_override is used only for WM hints, height_override is a number of pixels which bmpanel takes on the top or on the bottom of the screen and window manager can snap windows to that imaginary border and also can use this information for windows maximization.

What I planned to do is a clean up work. We have composite working fine, but without tray. So, what I have to do:
- write a manpage for bmpanel, I'm very bad in english and if someone can help me, I will appreciate that
- I need to decide what variants can be done in themes and what can't be and fix theme validation code for that
- also write documentation for themes even more clearly and with a lot of screenshots (the same problem with english here)
- write documentation about internal bmpanel architecture, it's philosophy, principles, etc.
- clean up a mess on bmpanel's page, I need restructurisation here and user themes page (possibly php script for uploading)
- clean up bmpanel's code (it's pretty clean, but I'm obsessed with perfection)
- recreate ChangeLog using git's commits

And after that I want to get rid of imlib2 as a dependency and move bmpanel's code to xcb (xlib replacement), xrender and xft. It will be a 2.0 version I guess, or 1.0 smile

I like what is bmpanel now, but there is number of possible new features:
- application starter - simple config file: '~/.bmpanel/apps' with apps and icons to put into panel, click to start
- another look of desktop switcher - [(arrow) (current desktop name) (arrow)], it will be more compact and more suitable for those who have a lot of desktops.

Also maybe I need a separate forum on my web possibly? This thread is kinda dirty big_smile
What do you think about all that?

Last edited by nsf (2008-05-28 14:58:50)

#164 2008-05-28 15:31:37

Diaz

go for it, yeah... i'll see if i can try the new version today tongue

#165 2008-05-28 15:41:23

droog

I know you like feedback so here you go big_smile

First i think you should update your default theme with any of these that have been posted. lyreas are great and icraves is great for gnome -ubuntu converts.

second i think there should be 2 versions, one with the old one working great with the theme and tray working perfect, and a dev? version with composite and no tray.

The main reason I use this is for the tray and clock, since it uses almost the same amount of memory as a tray application.

im sure if you made a forum it would get used more than this topic here so i think you should and ill help with what i can just let me know.

#166 2008-05-28 19:51:17

Diaz

with composite enabled:
-native theme starts ok ( the bottom place is occupied and if i click where the desktop switcher should be, it changes ), but all i see is the desktop background
-arch theme looks wonderful, and the red theme works

with composite disabled:
-native theme just shows a black bar at the bootom of the screen
-arch theme starts ( with black background: expected ) and the red one also works

changing the theme option use_composite in the native theme, with or without composite it works. Changing the option in the arch theme the panel works but the background now is blank.

I think there is a problem in the desktop with them margins set in the Obconf. Try setting a top margin of 31 for example and then start the panel... on my side the panel copies the margin setted at the top and applies it also at the bottom screen...

for now that's it.
by the way, a feature request: it is kind of annoying all the mouse bottoms doing the same, is it possible to add a context menu for the right click of a task to minimize, close, maximize? or bind the right click to minimize and the middle click to terminate the app? just wondering it it is too compicated tongue

thanks for the trouble wink

#167 2008-06-02 07:46:22

nsf
Website

0.9.20:

* Separator is being drawn only once if there are no tray icons.
* Tray is forced to be disabled when composite mode is enabled.
* themes/native theme changes, removed alpha channel and composite mode (as it was before).
* Placement bug fix.

Also I tried to make a workaround with composite tray problem, but it looked ugly and I made a decision to disable tray.
For example take a look on this screenshot: http://liquidat.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/plasma.png
It's a KDE plasma panel and their ugly systray hack. Systray is just above the clock. Icons in systray actually have no transparent background, but have a solid black background.
Of course if you have a theme such as this: http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.0/sc … /panel.jpg
you won't notice ugly hack. But let's take a look on other themes:
http://www.linux.org.ru/gallery/2785442.jpg - omg it's white sad
http://www.linux.org.ru/gallery/2784910.png - omg it's ugly gray.
So i decided to not do this hack at all.

Another issue with composite is an absence of shape extension. You can click on a transparent area and bmpanel will receive a click event. I tried to do something in this area, but no luck yet.

And finally, I tried to write a man page for bmpanel. But it isn't in this release yet. It's small and ugly.

And even more finally, I tried to set up a forum on my website (110mb.com hosting), but there is no free mysql access, so the forum was ugly and buggy. I removed it. big_smile

That's all news for today.

PS: I think I will not work on additional features anymore until I will finish a total rewrite using xcb library. Bmpanel itself looks messy and dirty, it definitely needs a redesign and cleanup or it will die soon.

Last edited by nsf (2008-06-02 07:57:30)

#168 2008-06-02 10:29:40

pyther
Website

Does anyone know of a small panel / tray for sys icons?

I would be able to setup forums on my server if you would like. I have 80KB up so I would never be able to handle a large load, but I think I should be able to fair with 10-15 simultaneous connections.

Email me and let me know if your interested (click on my username, and there should be an option to send an email)

Last edited by pyther (2008-06-02 10:34:36)

#169 2008-06-02 10:55:07

nsf
Website

pyther wrote:

Does anyone know of a small panel / tray for sys icons?

try stalonetray

pyther wrote:

I would be able to setup forums on my server if you would like. I have 80KB up so I would never be able to handle a large load, but I think I should be able to fair with 10-15 simultaneous connections.
Email me and let me know if your interested (click on my username, and there should be an option to send an email)

Thank you, but no smile I'll try to figure out something by myself.

#170 2008-06-03 12:56:35

nsf
Website

I'm suggesting to move all further discussion to bmpanel's forums: http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/bmpanel
Not sure about how reliable this hosting is, but let's try smile

#171 2008-06-10 17:08:43

noalwin

Using 0.9.21 on openbox
When a window it's on all desktops, I can't minimize/restore/focus it using the panel.

#172 2008-06-16 07:17:59

droog

I'm using it in fvwm and you got rid of scons so +1 works perfectly

#173 2008-06-16 09:43:00

nsf
Website

noalwin wrote:

Using 0.9.21 on openbox
When a window it's on all desktops, I can't minimize/restore/focus it using the panel.

Can you please tell me what app for example resides on all desktops? I'll test it and possibly I'll fix it smile

Last edited by nsf (2008-06-16 13:34:43)

#174 2008-06-21 04:01:23

pyther
Website

Any chance this can become 64bit compatible?

I get this error:

***** Imlib2 Developer Warning ***** :
    This program is calling the Imlib call:

imlib_image_set_has_alpha();

With the parameter:

being NULL. Please fix your program.

and when I maximize windows, the window only maxamizes to half of the full screen length

#175 2008-06-22 01:09:36

noalwin

nsf wrote:
noalwin wrote:

Using 0.9.21 on openbox

Can you please tell me what app for example resides on all desktops? I'll test it and possibly I'll fix it smile

I have tried Psi, OpenOffice and konqueror on openbox.

Openbox (and most WM) gives you a option to put a window on all destops, if I activate it, the app appears first on the panel (instead being the third for example) and I can't iconify, restore or focus it with the panel.

PD: sorry for the answer delay

Last edited by noalwin (2008-06-22 01:10:18)

Board footer