You are not logged in.

#26 2011-06-18 10:08:42

dumas

Re: [SOLVED] Audio CD not working

mandog wrote:
dumas wrote:

I tested

mplayer cdda:// -cache 5000

In the office computer it works perfect, and Glenn Gould is incredible! At home it's imperfect, but that's probably because the CD drive is dodgy, I won't worry about that right now.

So as a summary:

Programs that play audio CD:

audacious (with plugin)
VLC
mplayer

Programs that fail:

soundjuicer (but I don't have gnome installed, and with gnome3 I don't see how interoperability will improve)
cdcd (last updated 2004)
mcdp (last updated 2005)
cdfs (broken a few years back, probably still broken)

So I suppose we do have the choice, VLC provides a modern media player for more GUI oriented people and mplayer for more CLI people, and there's audacious and xmms?

and what is wrong with exaile or banshee gnomemplayer alsa cd player xbmc smplayer and many more that play cd out of the box

And now you tell me about all these apps wink.

I did hope there are these modern media players that play cd out of the box, audacious and VLC being examples. What I was trying to say, and I just did a quick check, mplayer (and its graphical frontends), exaile, banshee and xbmc are all big projects with a lot of dependencies (please correct me if I'm wrong). I happen to use mplayer anyway, so I'm happy to use it to play cds. However, before when I was not aware of this capability of mplayer, I tried to find a simple, lightweight CD player. Of course, I could install a full blown media player like VLC and its dependencies just to play CDs, but all archers should agree that's not an elegant solution. My googling and research a few years back brought me to truely simple programs in the form of cdcd, mcdp and cdfs, which to my dismay were all non-functional. Now I know alsaplayer, another truely simple player would play CDs, I'm happy; although I just tried it and failed, I'm pretty sure I can fix it and I wouldn't bother. Case closed?

#27 2011-10-13 16:29:14

wolfjb

tried exaile and banshee, neither work. I tried cdcd, but it choked trying to get cddb info.

My system:

MSI Wind U100 netbook with external USB Buffalo DVD+R drive.

The CD:

Star Wars Episode II sound track (purchased CD)

abcde is able to rip the CD, I am in the optical group, there is no /dev/cdrom, and making a symlink to /dev/sr0 doesn't help either banshee or exaile. VLC works, sort of, it plays 2 seconds, stops, plays another 2 seconds, stops....

#28 2011-12-27 03:17:35

pilgrim689

I read the thread thinking dumas and I were in the exact same boat, up until he said mplayer was working fine...

mplayer, for me, plays the track then pauses then plays then pauses...(very choppy playback).

When I give it a cache "-cache 5000", I can play the song a bit longer up until it reaches a pause, then the play/pause loop comes back. Seems like the cache is getting emptied faster than it is getting refilled (if it is getting refilled...).

Everything else is the same as him: cdcd, mcdp playing no sounds but appearing to play the track... device is /dev/sr0...I'm in optical group

Board footer