You are not logged in.

#176 2008-05-09 17:09:20

mbahamonde

Re: Daily KDE4 Subversion Packages

Just wondering.... why don't you set the install dir to be something like /opt/kde4 ? I don't like having it all mixed up in /usr, specially the headers at /usr/include....

#177 2008-05-11 08:23:56

markc
Website

Some package changes: amarok2 and k3b removed and replace by extragear-multimedia, digikam attempt failed but extragear-libs compiled and everything but digikam in extragear-graphics, which will contain digikam when it builds... so sudo pacman -R amarok2 k3b and then a sudo pacman -Sf extragear-multimedia extragear-libs extragear-graphics (-f will be needed because of a few oxygen icons, nothing serious). I'll look into languages tomorrow as it took me all afternoon to download the complete l10n-kde4/ directory (4.6Gb compared to 2.1Gb for all of KDE/).

@mbahamonde: as stated in the first posting of this thread, I never intended these packages to co-exist with either extra/kde or kdemod and was aiming for the simplest unadulterated set of PKGBUILDs for KDE svn with minimal hacks to adopt them for any particular system... ie; I consider kde svn sacred and a first class citizen and I want a system where these packages take precedence and anything else gets to fit in and around them, rather than tacked on in /opt.

FWIW my long term aim is to build a complete system that does not rely on the standard ArchLinux repos and, perhaps, even built with uClinux so the whole system is as light and fast as possible. I'm aiming for a distro that is targeted at, and works well on, sub-notebook eeePC like devices (somewhere halfway between embedded and regular desktop).

#178 2008-05-11 20:56:28

ozar

Hi, markc

Version '0511 is the most stable on this end, yet, at least for me.

I'm no longer having problems getting Dolphin to open up, as it opens immediately now and the entire desktop feels quite fast.  The plasmoids seem to be more stable than before, although the New Device Notifier plasmoid won't open at times for some reason.

Kmail now allows me to open it and click the "new message" button without crashing, and Konqueror is no longer crashing.

Other than some missing some icons, all seems pretty well for the most part on this end.

Thanks again for your efforts.

oz

#179 2008-05-12 00:39:00

ozar

Update... I just upgraded to '0512 and all seems to be about the same as '0511.  Note also that you still have to force the install/upgrade on the extragear stuff.

Thanks again, Mark.

oz

#180 2008-05-12 21:09:10

tanis

Why do you use /usr? Wouldn't it be better to have KDE4 in /opt/kde4 instead? It would be possible to install it in parallel to KDE3 without any problems.

#181 2008-05-12 22:50:02

Belitsky.A

Kde3 cannot work with config files from kde4. It's senselessly.

Last edited by Belitsky.A (2008-05-12 22:51:57)

#182 2008-05-13 01:21:24

markc
Website

@tanis: [copy n paste from previous post] as stated in the first posting of this thread, I never intended these packages to co-exist with either extra/kde or kdemod and was aiming for the simplest unadulterated set of PKGBUILDs for KDE svn with minimal hacks to adopt them for any particular system... ie; I consider kde svn sacred and a first class citizen and I want a system where these packages take precedence and anything else gets to fit in and around them, rather than tacked on in /opt.

Having said that, if I want more people to help with fine tuning these packages then I might have to consider this. Anyone else have an opinion about whether this package set should move to /opt so they can be installed along side extra/kde or kdemod? Would enough folks want to ever use them to make it worth the effort? OTOH, do I want more folks using these packages and blowing my bandwidth on my site, if not then I might be better off leaving it the way they are so not too many people want to to use them. If they get too popular then I'll have a potentially expensive bandwidth problem.

I'll  work on some languages for 20080515. The mpkg script is taking longer than expected. For some reason, amarok was missing from the x86_64 extragear-multimedia package, it gets built for i686 but not x86_64 from the same PKGBUILD. Weird! I might be the only person using the 64bit packages so maybe no one else would have noticed but I added an extra function to specifically build amarok for x86_64 and it seems to work (like the non-standard -doc and -dev hooks I use in qt-copy and kdelibs).

#183 2008-05-13 02:30:37

ozar

Regarding post #180 above where I said that the New Device Notifier plasmoid isn't working...

I've found that if I change the panel size (height), it starts working properly again.

Plasmoid bug of some kind, I suppose.

oz

#184 2008-05-13 02:46:29

somairotevoli

I was wondering if you could just share your build script or PKGBUILDS. I would like to build daily along side kde3.

#185 2008-05-13 05:17:47

markc
Website

@somairotevoli: the problem with these packages is that I use a build script to manage pulling in all the sources into $SRCDEST first (from /etc/makepkg.conf), then build all the tarballs locally, then call each PKGBUILD and build the package, then move the resulting packages from $PKGDEST to my local repo, then rsync up to my online vhost. The point being that the PKGBUILD source is source=($pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2) for almost all the PKGBUILDs so they are almost useless without the "mpkg" build script I use. You are certainly welcome to use them as a base to change them for your own needs. I am working hard to generalize this "mpkg" build script so others can use the same build method and be in a position to help me maintain and update these source packages... and to be able to also build a debug version locally.

svn checkout http://eth-os.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ eth-os
or
svn checkout http://eth-os.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/kde kde-svn

for just the kde-svn packages but there are a few dependencies in dev/. Again, if anyone wants to be a member with Subversion write priviledges then just send me your Google ID either by PM, here or in the Google group.

#186 2008-05-13 06:24:53

tanis

Belitsky.A: So? I can have (and I do) separate user just for KDE4. And switching users is a simple thing. I can not afford to switch completely to KDE4 only, and I don't really want to play with chroot. KDE4 can coexist next to KDE3/KDEMod, to be used whenever I want to.

markc: I'm definitely for /opt/kde4 location smile When/If the bandwidth starts being a problem you can do some moves then, it's not a decision you can't change, right?
By the way, do you mind sharing the "mpkg" script? Even if it's not perfect, it would be helpful!

Last edited by tanis (2008-05-13 06:40:24)

#187 2008-05-13 14:03:47

yuanjiayj

I think qt-copy needn't build any more.
These pkgs are better than kdemod4,good jobs!

#188 2008-05-13 23:40:50

ozar

I installed '0514 on a fresh Arch install today and it's working pretty well, with things improving daily.  Along with the extragear stuff, there were several other additional conflicts with files, so the force option had to be used with pacman to install them.  The 'New Device Notifier' seems to be working properly again.  It does seem that some system sounds are intermittent from one login to the next, though.

oz

#189 2008-05-14 13:48:29

maarten

Thanks for these packages! Really great to see kde4 improving a lot.

However I was wondering if some of you also have problems when opening linked images with konqueror, as ie. in the first post of this topic. When I click on the hyperlink I get a crash. Seems to be a problem with gwenview I think. Anyone experiences this as well? I was wondering if it is kde bug, or something with my installation. I just installed ArchLinux and before trying these packages I tried kdemod4. Maybe something to do with that?

#190 2008-05-14 14:17:45

markc
Website

@tanis: the curre4nt mpkg script is... embarrassing, and contains personal details... /me really close to having the new one in a usable state.

@yuanjiayj: yes, qt-copy doesn't need building everyday but I haven't come across an easy way to check for updates. I guess I should add some revision checking code and not continue with a build of any package unless the rev number is greater than the previous build... means I have to store the current build revisions somehow. I am storing some state info for each build with "ugly" .i686 and .x86_64 "state" files in each source folder but I want to get rid of those files and store  persistent values some other way... maybe even use SQLite, not sure. I don't want to use the $pkgver variable in the PKGBUILD itself either.

@maarten: I just clicked on that link and got an embedded viewer, I'm not sure if it's gwenview though, it could be. I know it use to crash up till a few weeks ago (for me) but kmail/konq seem to launch gwenview okay now so it might be old kdemod4 libs hanging around.

As always, having at least one extra spare 10Gb partition to a fresh install is always handy and once all the Archlinux packages are cached on the current partition it only takes about 1/2 hour to do a fresh install from scratch and reboot into it. If you also use a common /home partition then your ~/.kde remains intact and ready to go.

#191 2008-05-14 17:08:45

ozar

markc wrote:

As always, having at least one extra spare 10Gb partition to a fresh install is always handy and once all the Archlinux packages are cached on the current partition it only takes about 1/2 hour to do a fresh install from scratch and reboot into it. If you also use a common /home partition then your ~/.kde remains intact and ready to go.

Yeah, after doing a fresh Arch base system install, I added a few other odds and ends packages, then made an image of the partitions.  Now, I can restore those images in about 3 to 4 minutes and then add all of the latest kde4 packages from your repo in about 5 more minutes.  It's the desktop tweaks that take the most time for me.

oz

#192 2008-05-15 00:31:12

ozar

I'm finding '0514 to be more stable and have less breakage than '0515, at least on this box.

It's back to '0514 for me until a better release comes along.

Still having fun with it, though.

oz

#193 2008-05-15 17:27:07

EvilSide

I am trying to compile gtk-qt-engine from svn (svn co http://gtk-qt.ecs.soton.ac.uk/svn/gtk-q … qt-engine)
but when I try to "cmake ." - I get:

CMake Error: Qt qmake not found!
-- Configuring done

qmake is included in qt4 but if I try to put it, it will remove current qt-copy ...
Any solutions?

Last edited by EvilSide (2008-05-15 17:28:59)

#194 2008-05-15 18:04:38

ozar

If you are planning to run it with the KDE4 svn builds that this thread relates to, did you try to using the gtk-qt-engine that's already included in the GUI repo?  See post #1 for details.

I'm finding that I get much better looking GTK2 apps if I leave the gtk-qt-engine alone and in its place use qtcurve-kde4 and qtcurve-gtk2, along with gtk-chtheme from AUR.

Edit:  Just saw this in another thread and it looks like it might be even better:

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2008/05 … qgtkstyle/

Last edited by ozar (2008-05-16 02:06:54)

oz

#195 2008-05-15 20:37:15

miggols99

Hi, I'd just like to have an update on this. Is there a powersaving program (KLaptop or KPowersave) available for KDE4? Because if I don't have them my laptop gets quite hot. Also is KDM still working fine? I'd like to reinstall Arch (been using Ubuntu for a while) and use KDE4, but without powersaving stuff it gets quite annoying....

#196 2008-05-17 03:03:26

markc
Website

@EvilSide: in case you didn't work it out you need to install the qt-copy-dev package.

@ozar: good find and thanks for sharing. I'll look into including this in a day or so.

@miggols99: I'm not aware of a working laptop daemon and I haven't used kdm in a while, just startx with a ~/.xinitrc of "exec startkde". Maybe someone else will comment about either of these points.

There probably won't be a 20080517 update as I've messed up with the new script and changed things around enough that the old script won't work either.

#197 2008-05-17 08:59:47

EvilSide

It works, thanks ozar! smile I searched for gtk-engines-qt, not for gtk-qt-engine big_smile

@markc - qt-copy-dev gives:

:: Retrieving packages from kde...
 qt-copy-dev-4.4.0-2...     7.1M  188.1K/s 00:00:39 [############] 100%
checking package integrity...                                          
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                   [############] 100%
error: could not prepare transaction                                   
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)                
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/abstractaudiooutput.h exists in filesystem                                                                   
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/abstractmediastream.h exists in filesystem                                                                   
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/abstractvideooutput.h exists in filesystem                                                                   
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/addoninterface.h exists in filesystem 
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/audiooutput.h exists in filesystem    
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/audiooutputinterface.h exists in filesystem                                                                  
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/backendcapabilities.h exists in filesystem                                                                   
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/backendinterface.h exists in filesystem                                                                      
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/effect.h exists in filesystem         
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/effectinterface.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/effectparameter.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/effectwidget.h exists in filesystem   
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/mediacontroller.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/medianode.h exists in filesystem      
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/mediaobject.h exists in filesystem    
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/mediaobjectinterface.h exists in filesystem                                                                  
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/mediasource.h exists in filesystem    
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/objectdescription.h exists in filesystem                                                                     
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/objectdescriptionmodel.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/path.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/phonon_export.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/phonondefs.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/phononnamespace.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/seekslider.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/streaminterface.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/videoplayer.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/videowidget.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/videowidgetinterface.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/volumefadereffect.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/volumefaderinterface.h exists in filesystem
qt-copy-dev: /usr/include/phonon/volumeslider.h exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

Last edited by EvilSide (2008-05-17 09:59:23)

#198 2008-05-17 10:26:37

markc
Website

@EvilSide: just use pacman -Syuf with an -f to force the install, harmless enough. Phonon is in both qt-copy and kdelibs and I'm still not sure which one is supposed to be the canonical copy.

As it turns out, there may not be a 20080518 update. Sunday tomorrow so I'll have a whole free day to spend on the new mpkg script.

#199 2008-05-17 14:59:25

maarten

maarten wrote:

Thanks for these packages! Really great to see kde4 improving a lot.

However I was wondering if some of you also have problems when opening linked images with konqueror, as ie. in the first post of this topic. When I click on the hyperlink I get a crash. Seems to be a problem with gwenview I think. Anyone experiences this as well? I was wondering if it is kde bug, or something with my installation. I just installed ArchLinux and before trying these packages I tried kdemod4. Maybe something to do with that?

Fixed it, must have been a conflict with kdemod4 or the kde I compiled from AUR.

Now I'm trying to run openoffice in kde4. Anyone succeeded in this? I only get crashes. In xfce it works however without any problem.

#200 2008-05-17 18:30:25

pressh
Developer/TU

maarten wrote:

Now I'm trying to run openoffice in kde4. Anyone succeeded in this? I only get crashes. In xfce it works however without any problem.

If you have set the gtk-qt-engine to use native qt4 theme for gtk2 applications, these applications are really unstable since a week or so (at least for me). Setting it to another theme gives the stability back. You may have another problem though, just try it.

Board footer