You are not logged in.

#26 2008-04-02 07:21:54

Cucscspr

Re: Truecrypt 5 in AUR/pacman?

new2arch wrote:
Cucscspr wrote:

WOW you guys are quick, thanks new2arch for the tip about GCC I will try that smile 

And thanx to you zyghom for your tip, I figured on that before I came back to the forum tho tongue and yes you are right, it does work.

Just download the x86_64 package from truecrypt site here and extract it, then just run the truecrypt bin.

I have gotten it to actually map the drive, but it won't mount for some reason, although I haven't fooled around much yet.. but u can easily mount it yourself with mount /dev/loop0 or whatever number u mapped to.

weeee!

I could not use the 4.3 package for some reason, it would not map my drive that i crypted from windows.  but 5.1a works great..

Hm. I'll check it out but I know for sure TC 5 requires you to use 'sudo' to mount devices which I don't use anyway so I'm still stuck using 'su' to mount.

OOPS, my mistake, it did mount it as truecrypt1 in /media.. hehe I didn't notice.  HAL did not pop it up on my desktop for some reason.. bah!  another thing to figure out.  but at least I can access my drive now yea!

#27 2008-04-02 10:35:14

tomk
Forum Fellow

zyghom wrote:

I don't understand problem: since 5x tc is binary file, one file, just download debian package and extract from there this file and use it

You can use that if you want - however, the Arch package will be built from the TC source code, once the gcc issue is resolved.

tockar wrote:

Is there a chance for two packages: truecrypt and truecrypt-nogui?

If you're talking about official Arch packages, only if TC provide it upstream. However, any user is free to submit a nogui package to the AUR.

#28 2008-04-02 10:43:40

zyghom
Website

new2arch wrote:

I don't have any needs auto mounting stuff, so for me TC 5 is perfect. I find TC to be really valuable especially on a laptop, considering laptop thefts at airports are not unheard of.

try also cryptsetup /home
described on wiki
and if by any chance you laptop has SD card reader build in, then key file on it and ... wink

Zygfryd Homonto

#29 2008-04-02 17:57:52

new2arch

I can confirm TC 5, the debian rpm (586) works in Arch, had to install rpmextract in order to extract the rpm though.
However, the binary itself doesn't run via the terminal - it can only be executed if run in a Nautilus session induced by Root. As a normal user, the binary can be clicked and opened but since sudo is required to mount devices, the user's not getting anywhere beyond that point.

#30 2008-04-02 18:52:55

new2arch

zyghom wrote:
new2arch wrote:

I don't have any needs auto mounting stuff, so for me TC 5 is perfect. I find TC to be really valuable especially on a laptop, considering laptop thefts at airports are not unheard of.

try also cryptsetup /home
described on wiki
and if by any chance you laptop has SD card reader build in, then key file on it and ... wink

But wouldn't that mean /home would be erased?

#31 2008-04-03 03:51:26

zyghom
Website

new2arch wrote:

I did not mean "just enter this command" - I meant if you are "conspiracy theory freak" then encrypt your /home as well
for this you need free /home first - that is obvious
very good wiki is here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LUKS_Encrypted_Root

Zygfryd Homonto

#32 2008-04-03 06:14:55

new2arch

zyghom wrote:
new2arch wrote:

I did not mean "just enter this command" - I meant if you are "conspiracy theory freak" then encrypt your /home as well
for this you need free /home first - that is obvious
very good wiki is here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LUKS_Encrypted_Root

I'll look into it. Again. Well, I messed around with the /home encryption thing when I had Fedora as my main system and it only managed to give Havoc a new name. smile

#33 2008-04-03 09:19:50

Cucscspr

new2arch wrote:

I can confirm TC 5, the debian rpm (586) works in Arch, had to install rpmextract in order to extract the rpm though.
However, the binary itself doesn't run via the terminal - it can only be executed if run in a Nautilus session induced by Root. As a normal user, the binary can be clicked and opened but since sudo is required to mount devices, the user's not getting anywhere beyond that point.

If you had to use RPMextract then you grabbed the openSUSE RPM.  There is an Ubuntu .deb as well.  I used the Ubuntu .deb and opened it with fileroller or archive manager or something I can't remember exactly what, i'm not at the same location anymore so I couldn't tell you.  But it opened and extracted it, and I just grabbed the truecrypt bin and copied it to my ~/bin directory.  I could run it from terminal no problem.  If your directory is not in the path you may have to try ./truecrypt to run it.

You can also try deb2targz to convert the deb then unpack it.  I tried installing the truecrypt.tar.gz but it didn't convert all too well for me..  I heard someone is working on an Arch Alien package <drool>.

Anyhoo, I had no problem running it as user.  In fact, I put a launcher on my panel for it next to my Acetone2 launcher big_smile

#34 2008-04-03 12:31:21

new2arch

Cucscspr wrote:
new2arch wrote:

If you had to use RPMextract then you grabbed the openSUSE RPM.  There is an Ubuntu .deb as well.  I used the Ubuntu .deb and opened it with fileroller or archive manager or something I can't remember exactly what, i'm not at the same location anymore so I couldn't tell you.  But it opened and extracted it, and I just grabbed the truecrypt bin and copied it to my ~/bin directory.  I could run it from terminal no problem.  If your directory is not in the path you may have to try ./truecrypt to run it.

You can also try deb2targz to convert the deb then unpack it.  I tried installing the truecrypt.tar.gz but it didn't convert all too well for me..  I heard someone is working on an Arch Alien package <drool>.

Anyhoo, I had no problem running it as user.  In fact, I put a launcher on my panel for it next to my Acetone2 launcher big_smile

Ah, I was pretty sure the *.rpm would mean less hassle but you're saying the fireroller supports *.deb's? cool
Good one to remember. I suspect TC isn't in my path and definitely not in root's path because when I extracted it, a /home/usr folder came into existence. Will try ./truecrypt instead.
Are you using sudo? I'm still getting sudo errors when trying to mount an encrypted device, as a normal user that is.

Last edited by new2arch (2008-04-03 12:32:14)

#35 2008-04-03 21:33:13

Cucscspr

new2arch wrote:
Cucscspr wrote:
new2arch wrote:

Ah, I was pretty sure the *.rpm would mean less hassle but you're saying the fireroller supports *.deb's? cool
Good one to remember. I suspect TC isn't in my path and definitely not in root's path because when I extracted it, a /home/usr folder came into existence. Will try ./truecrypt instead.
Are you using sudo? I'm still getting sudo errors when trying to mount an encrypted device, as a normal user that is.

Sorry, I can't rememeber what it was that opened it.  I just double clicked it and something opened it.  And I don't use sudo, I use su.  BUT, I did a pacman -S sudo a while back so I could use yaourt.  Plus I find quite a few packages use sudo so to keep up with the times I just installed it and added myself to wheel gpasswd -a username wheel then edited the /etc/sudoers file and uncommented # %wheel ALL=(ALL) SETENV: ALL and thats all there was too it. smile

There are a couple great guides on sudo here and here.

As for a nogui version, once the AUR package is completed i'm sure someone will add a comment on how to attach the NOGUI=1 flag to the PKGBUILD manually.

It also states in the source that:

By default, an universal executable supporting both graphical and text user
interface is built. To build a console-only executable, use 'NOGUI' parameter

so shouldn't it be possible to just use trucrypt in a terminal with command-line arguments?  I can't test that right now since i'm not near a linux box but I will be able to this weekend.

#36 2008-04-04 08:52:07

new2arch

Cucscspr wrote:

Sorry, I can't rememeber what it was that opened it.  I just double clicked it and something opened it.  And I don't use sudo, I use su.  BUT, I did a pacman -S sudo a while back so I could use yaourt.  Plus I find quite a few packages use sudo so to keep up with the times I just installed it and added myself to wheel gpasswd -a username wheel then edited the /etc/sudoers file and uncommented # %wheel ALL=(ALL) SETENV: ALL and thats all there was too it. smile

There are a couple great guides on sudo here and here.

As for a nogui version, once the AUR package is completed i'm sure someone will add a comment on how to attach the NOGUI=1 flag to the PKGBUILD manually.

It also states in the source that:

By default, an universal executable supporting both graphical and text user
interface is built. To build a console-only executable, use 'NOGUI' parameter

so shouldn't it be possible to just use trucrypt in a terminal with command-line arguments?  I can't test that right now since i'm not near a linux box but I will be able to this weekend.

Opening the TC application itself isn't a problem as a regular user but mounting won't work since it requires privileges granted via sudo. I'm a 'su' kinda guy so I've avoided 'sudo' as long as I could but I also tried following some sudo/visudo wikis related to TC but it didn't work out too well. Thanks for the links though, I might give it another try if I find su'ing too bothersome. smile

Board footer