You are not logged in.

#26 2008-03-31 01:39:19

rson451
Website

Re: arson - The HOT AUR search helper

very nice. -i is very informative.  keep up the good work zenix

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#27 2008-03-31 02:13:44

venox
Website

Great! Now 'arson -D arson' works just fine smile

#28 2008-03-31 02:22:41

bender02

@zenix: Sorry about the confusion about the install script: it needs to be in the install=() field, but not in sources=() field. I guess you figured by now.

Is there a way to check if a package is in community? Search seems to say "aur/<package>" regardless of community status - that doesn't matter much; but 'arson -D <package>' downloads just a html file (but named <package>.tar.gz), and since I have minitar installed, it complains about that file not being an archive (of course).

#29 2008-03-31 16:26:24

sunn

zenix wrote:

Yay! arson v0.6.3 is released!

Great! Now it works in urxvt! smile
I'm still not getting colored output in urxvt though (color works in xterm and Terminal), but apart from that (and the minor issues below), it seems to work fine. Great work zenix! smile

A few minor issues:
Failing to pass an argument to arson when performing a search, download or info fetch produces an error:

arson -S
/usr/bin/arson:123: undefined method `colorful' for main:Object (NoMethodError)

arson -I and arson -D produces the exact same error.
Passing invalid options to arson seems to produce the same error (but at a different line):

arson -foo
/usr/bin/arson:118: undefined method `colorful' for main:Object (NoMethodError)

This happens in urxvt, xterm and Terminal.

EDIT:
DISCLAIMER: I've never used ruby roll.
Since arson seemed to complain that colorful() wasn't defined, I had a look at the source code, and colorful() is defined further down in the file than the calls to it at line 118 and 123. So on a whim, I tried moving the function definition further up in the file - before the calls at line 118 and 123, and that seemed to solve the errors I got above.

That said, I've never programmed anything in ruby so I wouldn't know if this is the "proper" way to solve this, and if it would break anything else. roll Just trying to help. smile

Last edited by sunn (2008-03-31 16:46:30)

#30 2008-03-31 22:58:38

zenix
Website

@bender02: can you please post the backtrace? (or pastebin it if it's long) - I tried making it error, but I failed doing so! Ha ha.

@sunn: You're idea works, and I've done pretty much the same thing, but this time the call is made after the definition, instead of moving the function up. Look for it actually working in 0.6.4 (in development now!) I still don't understand why you're not getting color. Do you see any error messages when you run arson from tput? Example:

$ TERM=console arson
zsh: can't find terminal definition for console
tput: unknown terminal "console"
You need to specify a command!

PS: Don't worry, Ruby is quite flexible about things. You haven't broken anything by doing that.

sunn, bender02, venox, rson451, wain, Sigi, blu3ness, schivmeister, Purch:
I just want to say, Thanks! (And I thought everyone would rag on me like SpookyET about yaourt and others, ha ha smile )

I made an AUR helper once.
I also go by evaryont and nogweii elsewhere on the internet.
Check out my projects and packages.

#31 2008-04-01 15:17:08

sunn

zenix wrote:

Do you see any error messages?

Doing TERM=console arson gives me the same result as you posted.
After starting urxvt:

$ echo $TERM
rxvt

My $TERM is apparently set to rxvt.
I tried doing this:

$ TERM=rxvt-unicode arson -S arson
Found 1 results
aur/arson (0.6.3-1): The HOT AUR search helper!

And this gives me colored output. But I think I read somewhere on the forum that setting $TERM manually is a Bad Thing - any input on this? And is it supposed to be rxvt, when I'm using urxvt, and rxvt-unicode seems to work?

Off-topic: This german thing is both hillarious and slightly annoying. lol

#32 2008-04-02 01:01:09

zenix
Website

<offtopic>

sunn wrote:

Off-topic: This german thing is both hillarious and slightly annoying.

Only slightly? Jeez, I almost shat myself when I saw it. Getting a grasp though (English URLs do help a bit wink )
</offtopic>

For me, urxvt sets TERM to "rxvt-unicode". Setting $TERM isn't the best idea, but it does help a lot when your terminal doesn't set it correctly anyways. Standard package question: Are you sure you have the latest version? Pacman reports version 9.02-2 on my sys.

#33 2008-04-02 01:06:37

rson451
Website

sunn, add

urxvt*termName:         rxvt-unicode

to your .Xdefaults.

--

#34 2008-04-02 01:35:21

bender02

@zenix: I'm not exactly sure what you mean by backtrace, but I recorded some interaction with arson at http://rafb.net/p/lQYuxT61.html. It seems to get errors for some community packages (like shorewall, last-exit), but work for some others (e.g. slock).

#35 2008-04-02 08:17:46

Purch

Few ideas to the search part of the arson to kick it to the next level:

$ arson -S firewall script
- It would print packages that match both terms. Maybe 2 is enough, but 3 terms could be usefull sometimes.

- What I need, as the psearch is "dead", is to print installed information. Like the version installed. Maybe just print search hits, that are installed or not installed. These are psearch  (AUR) capabilities, but maybe easily implemented. Arson would be powerul program to handle AUR packages, when it has powerfull and informative search.

PS: bold works in the search results, thanks.

PSS: $ sudo gem install --remote archive-tar-minitar

#36 2008-04-02 08:51:57

Purch

$ arson -D keepassx

gives you the first version from the cvs, not the last/newest.

#37 2008-04-02 15:44:31

sunn

rson451 wrote:

sunn, add

urxvt*termName:         rxvt-unicode

to your .Xdefaults.

This worked. Colors are now working properly! smile Thanks.

#38 2008-04-11 03:10:27

millerl

This is great.  Saw this thread a bit ago and finally gave it a go.  Very happy with this!  Thanks!!!

#39 2008-04-11 16:24:14

zenix
Website

WOAH! Look at that! Did you see it? IT'S A NEW RELEASE!! arson v0.8 is OUT! (yes, 0.7 was skipped). Change log:

arson v0.8 (11April2008)
- I'm the energizer bunny! I keep going and going with arson!
- Fixed colorful() error when not providing any keywords
- Now checks if the extraction target already exists
- Added -f/--force option to skip check
- Added warning when you use more than 1 command (for rson451)
- Added Magenta color to the 'crew'! Welcome! lol
- Added minitar gem install, I completley missed that there /was/ a gem!
- Minitar gem is now installed during the first install. Upgraders, run 'gem
install archive-tar-minitar"
- PKGBUILD build() now uses install instead of cp/mkdir
- Added --more-help option, removed note about minitar, see --more-help for
info about installing the minitar gem. If anything else strikes me as useful
for day-to-day use of arson, I may stick it in --more-help or just start a man
page. Dunno if --more-help is here to stay. Enjoy?
- Added color output to help. This is the longest changelog I've written. Fun
- 'arson -D pkg1 pkg2' now downloads both pkg1 and pkg2!
- Multiple pkg info provided when -I is passed multiple packages. (Same vein
as above)
- Skipping 0.7 and going straight for 0.8 cause I feel this is many releases
delayed into 1
- Added OutOfDate checks to -I, -D, -S. Version numbers in Search reaults are
in red if the package is marked out of date, arson now warns you about downloading
an out of date package, and -I is the same, but it now WORKS (as per the fix
above)
- Prevented a possible bug where a user didn't have tput in $PATH. Instead of
calling just tput, it calls the full path (/bin/tput)
- Now provides (not) installed/upgradable info in Search and Info output!
- If a package is in the community repo, Search tells you (so it's community/
instead of aur/) and Download exits into pacman, to avoid the HTML page
download which some users have run into.
- Added Facets as a dependency, it get installed along with arson. This has SO
MUCH STUFF IN IT!
- Facets includes Archive::Tar::Minitar in it's EXTRA libraries. Removed
-e/--dont-extract cli option, removed archive-tar-minitar as a dependency
- Facets includes an ANSICode class, allowing pretty shell output, with full
support for all the effects! Removed tput/ncurses dependency.

As the log above states, this is the largest 'log I have written. Yay me. Also, if you read through it, I countered myself. I added magenta to the 'crew', then just switched to using ANSIColor, removing the ncurses dependency. Some code saved, some cycles saved, a bit faster overall. I'm sure I missed a few features/bug fixes along when developing this over the last 10 days.

@millerl: I hope you like this one even more. I myself am quite blown away by it!

#40 2008-04-11 17:30:21

rson451
Website

I made the changelog!! big_smile.  Will upgrade when I get home this weekend.

--

#41 2008-04-11 22:21:16

zenix
Website

OK, I'm going to address everyone who made a request/bug report since 0.6.3 since, right now, I'm kinda out of ideas with Arson. I know I'll think of more, just to make Arson even MORE awesome, but right now, as I type this, I'm blank. Oh wait, I made a ToDo file, right, I could check that....

bender02: Community packages are now displayed in search results. Hm, now that I think, I think -I still just says aur instead of community (when applicable).EDIT: It doesn't say AUR or community. Nevermind then The session you pastied was an example of the Community Bug, as I call it now. While AUR's db contains the info for both AUR unsupported and those picked up by TU and put into [community], it doesn't actually have the absolute path for them, instead they are in the repo. Fixed.

sunn: Fixed the "colorful not defined" bug you mentioned. It's been fixed for a while, just never released until now (I really should push bug fixes promptly..)

rson451: lol yes you're now 'immortalized' in arson's changelog! What an honor! Thanks for helping sunn, didn't know about that URxvt resource. Gotta make a note... (though I don't think it would ever happen)

Purch: The 2 keyword full text search wasn't implemented because the AUR dev ML brought that up, no response to the idea of implementing it in AUR itself or not. If they choose not, I'll add an option to 'switch' between each type of searching. I added installation status and whether or not a package is upgradeable (the latter took the longest) to Search and Info output. Hope you like! The CVS 'bug' you reported isn't much Arson's fault. The packager should update the PKGBUILD information, but makepkg also includes code that (if the PKGBUILD is correctly configured) it would automatically download the latest CVS revision, as well as make a correct version pkg locally.

millerl: Glad you like it! arson 0.8 adds a lot, IMO. Most is under the hood, but it is definitely an improvement over 0.6.3's code!

To the user who isn't using arson yet: What are you waiting for? A certain feature that arson doesn't have? (Besides automatically installing packages) Post it! I'll work on it big_smile

Last edited by zenix (2008-04-11 22:53:11)

#42 2008-04-11 23:11:30

bender02

Thanks for the fixes! Great job.

#43 2008-04-12 11:20:50

[vEX]

Suggestion, when no command is given, instead of just printing "You need to specify a command!" perhaps it should print the help?

PC: Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | GeForce 450GTS | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux x86_64
HTPC: Antec NSK2480 | ASUS M3A78-EM (AMD 780G) | AMD Athlon X3 425 | 8GB DDR2 | GeForce G210 | 2TB HDD | Arch Linux x86_64
Server: Raspberry Pi (model B) | 512MB RAM | 750GB HDD | Arch Linux ARM

#44 2008-04-13 16:59:26

rson451
Website

zenix, below is a running output from the latest arson.  blu3ness mentioned it on irc.

[randy@voodoo ~]$ ls
archive  avi  bin  docs  dwm  iso  movies  music  public_html
[randy@voodoo ~]$ arson -S cairo-ubuntu
Found 2 results
[N] aur/lib32-cairo-ubuntu (1.5.14-4): Cairo vector graphics library, with Ubuntu's LCD rendering patches
[N] aur/cairo-ubuntu (1.6.4-1): Cairo vector graphics library, with Ubuntu's LCD rendering patches
[randy@voodoo ~]$ arson -D cairo-ubuntu
Downloading package cairo-ubuntu to /home/randy
Error: No package named 'cairo-ubuntu' found
[randy@voodoo ~]$
[randy@voodoo ~]$ pacman -Ss cairo-ubuntu
[randy@voodoo ~]$

so this package is not in the community repo, and is in the aur but arson fails to download it.  i don't know what could be causing this behavior.

also i second [vEX]'s suggestion.

thanks for the work so far zenix

--

#45 2008-04-17 13:10:42

benito

zenix, I have a feature suggestion: make arson produce a list of installed packages, that have an update available in the AUR.

I like to quickly have a look, which packages I should rebuild, which have major updates and which (probably) only minor.

I wrote a small ruby-script myself that does this: take the output of `pacman -Qm` ('foreign packages') and ask the AUR for the latest PKGBUILD-version of each package, then list the packages with differing versions.

Essentially it's this:

`pacman -Qm`.each_line do |line|
  name, version = line.chomp.split
  aur = JSON.parse(open("http://aur.archlinux.org/rpc.php?type=info&arg=#{name}").read)['results']
  if aur.kind_of?(Hash) and aur['Version'] != version
    puts "#{name} has an update available: #{version} -> #{aur['Version']}"
  end
end

Another idea: make it default to delete the tarball after downloading and remove the doubled sub-folder: ATM arson extracts the contents of the tarball to an extra subfolder while the tarball already contains one, so the PKGBUILD is located here: ./pkgname/pkgname/PKGBUILD

I suppose most arson-users have a dedicated folder for AUR-packages, so it would be convenient to have the tarball extracted to the current directory and be removed after that.

In any way: Thanks for your work! It's a very nice and much more arch-like alternative to yaourt etc!

Last edited by benito (2008-04-17 20:38:24)

#46 2008-04-24 02:20:42

zenix
Website

Ok, this is getting bigger and faster than I can handle on my own. Users of Arson who would like to help development, visit http://www.rememberthemilk.com/home/evaryont/3045084/ for a shortened TODO (I'll add more as suggestions/ideas come to mind) of what I'd like to see done. Highest priority: Github. I wouldn't mind a few examples/tutorials on how to use git + github. (Yes, Google helps. I'm very busy with school and do not want to put up with the "Do it yourself" attitude right now, so help me learn and arson improves more, faster, alright?)

As I see it, the biggest error so far is the problems with "non existent" packages, which aren't found when Downloading, but are displayed in -S. I really have no clue why 1 works and another doesn't but that is the way it seems right now.

~ EDIT:
Ok, looking deeper into github and it doesn't seem as wonderful as it first did, but it's still great, and it's a wonderful service - free git hosting! But, repo.or.cz is available as well, so which service should I use? While I do host my own website, the darn weak computer couldn't handle git+http+<more> so, I'm asking the small fraction of Archlinux users who actually care to read my posts cool, which server is better for a small project such as this? Github or repo.or.cz? (EDIT again) Ok, another host to add to the fray: Gitorious. I know that, at the core, they are all the same (git) but each has their own quirks. Looking for public opinion for which to use. Sigh, so many choices.

Last edited by zenix (2008-04-24 02:56:48)

#47 2008-04-24 05:05:58

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

you can also use an svn repo (like google code), and use git to pull off of that.
http://quirkygba.blogspot.com/2007/10/u … sting.html

mauahahahaaa
/me rubs hands together as he makes the choice harder by adding more options

tongue

If you are looking for strictly git (probably a better idea), then I have no opinions. I know a few people who use repo.or.cz, and they seem pretty happy with it.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#48 2008-04-27 17:28:53

rson451
Website

zenix: see notes in http://rafb.net/p/eke0NE60.html

i played around a bit and this seems to be causing the issue.  i may be reading something wrong so forgive me if so.  i dont really understand what the "tar" variable contains, but if it doesn't have "String" in it, it seems to fail.

[randy@voodoo test]$ ./arson -S cairo-ubuntu
Found 2 results
[N] aur/lib32-cairo-ubuntu (1.6.4-1): Cairo vector graphics library, with Ubuntu's LCD rendering patches
[N] aur/cairo-ubuntu (1.6.4-1): Cairo vector graphics library, with Ubuntu's LCD rendering patches
[randy@voodoo test]$ ^S^D
./arson -D cairo-ubuntu
Downloading package cairo-ubuntu to /home/randy/test
Warning: 'lib32-cairo-ubuntu' != 'cairo-ubuntu'. Moving to next package.
Found package cairo-ubuntu! Downloading it now...
DEBUG: This is tar -- #<File:0xb7ad37b8>
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/delegate.rb:268:in `method_missing': undefined method `string' for #<File:/tmp/open-uri.13506.0 (closed)> (NoMethodError)
        from ./arson:188:in `aur_download'
        from ./arson:183:in `open'
        from ./arson:183:in `aur_download'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/open-uri.rb:135:in `open_uri'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/open-uri.rb:519:in `open'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/open-uri.rb:30:in `open'
        from ./arson:181:in `aur_download'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:121:in `chdir'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/fileutils.rb:121:in `chdir'
        from ./arson:171:in `aur_download'
        from ./arson:164:in `each'
        from ./arson:164:in `aur_download'
        from ./arson:162:in `each'
        from ./arson:162:in `aur_download'
        from ./arson:320
[randy@voodoo test]$ ./arson -S dvtm
Found 1 results
[i] aur/dvtm (0.4-1): Dynamic virtual terminal manager
[randy@voodoo test]$ ^S^D
./arson -D dvtm
Downloading package dvtm to /home/randy/test
Found package dvtm! Downloading it now...
DEBUG: This is tar -- #<StringIO:0xb7adf9dc>
[randy@voodoo test]$

there was one other package i found that had the "File" instead of "String" but i cannot for the life of me find it again.  maybe this sheds some light?

--

#49 2008-04-28 21:44:32

zenix
Website

Updated to 0.8.1, a bugfix release. Kinda. Meant to be, but then people's suggestions are awesome, so...eh

Changelog:
arson v0.8.1 (28April2008)
- Bugfix release :/
- Removed the {{{ & }}} folding markers, now I use the syntax markers. Makes
the comments themselves much easier to read :)
- When using open(http://) arson now uses the same method of retriving the
results (#read instead of #string which only worked sometimes) -Thanks again,
rson451! :)
- arson only displays search results if the package is in AUR. Community
packages can still be downloaded via -D (though, what's the point when pacman
is just as able, if not more so?)
- The tar.gz file is deleted by default now. Changed the -x/--delete option to
-k/--keep to reflect this. Still only if Facets/Archive/Tar/Minitar is
installed (which it is when installing arson for the first time)
- Nobody complained about this, oddly enough. arson.install said it was
installing the Minitar gem when it actually wasn't. Now it doesn't ;)
- arson called without a -COMMAND provides the --help output along with the
'error' message -Thanks [vEX]
- arson now checks if a foreign package (according to pacman) has an update in
AUR - Thanks benito, hope you don't mind that I copied & pasted your code :)
Call -U/--upgrade to see a list
- No longer stops downloading packages when 1 isn't found. - Thanks rson451
- Fixed keyword check, now it excludes :upgrade
- Better error message when calling an invalid option

Edit... Make sure you download it after 5:59 GMT-4 (28Apr2008) - I fixed another 2 bugs that popped up JUST after I uploaded 0.8.1 (and the fixes are uploaded to AUR as of 5:59). Added those fixes to the above ChangeLog.

Last edited by zenix (2008-04-28 22:03:25)

#50 2008-04-29 03:10:58

rson451
Website

thanks again zenix for all the hard work on this.  i really believe this is a tool the entire community should at least take a look at.

edit:  at this time, the -U option isnt working for me,  the attatched diff shows what I changed to make it work.

[randy@voodoo arson]$ diff arson rson
283c283
< if ARGV.size < 1 and $Options[:command] != :update
---
> if ARGV.size < 1 and $Options[:command] != :upgrade
296a297,298
> elsif $Options[:command] == :upgrade
>         pacman_check_aur_updates

Last edited by rson451 (2008-04-29 04:03:12)

--

Board footer