You are not logged in.

#26 2008-04-18 18:08:05

darose

Re: Eclipse Freeze [SOLVED]

That was intentional - I'm using version 3.2.2.  (Long story, but I'm forced to stick with that version because our package of 3.3.1 doesn't properly support the old JDK1.4.)

Anyway, I temporarily upgraded to 3.3.1, and it has the same problem.  The problem is obviously something Mozilla/Firefox related anyway (since downgrading to FF2.0.0.12 instantly fixes it, and since upgrading to Eclipse 3.3.1 made no difference) so I don't think the version of Eclipse is really all that relevant here.

#27 2008-04-18 23:24:36

wonder
Developer
Website

can somebody tell me why eclipse is running if i start it from terminal and why if i start it from gnome menu is freezing.

what's the difference?

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#28 2008-04-21 09:07:44

depp

It's the difference between eclipse and /usr/share/eclipse

#29 2008-04-22 06:39:46

skipper13
Website

I use eclipse-jee-europa and have same problem. But after that I switched off "workspace request" bug disappeared.

#30 2008-04-22 20:55:38

funny

I have the same problem

eclipse freeze when I perform code assist (eg: type System. and hit <ctrl>+space). I dont have firefox.  Before week it was OK. Then I updated system and now it doesnt work.

#31 2008-05-06 04:10:13

sntianren

Llama wrote:
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/share/eclipse     # doesn't work without this...
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/java/jre/lib/i386/client::/opt/java/jre/lib/i386
./eclipse

This works for me, but not quite. I can't use help: "Help error: Couldn't open a Web browser because there are none configured", which is a lie smile . I use Firefox. Any suggestions?

just put this line:
into /etc/profile
and run eclipse with nothing different
this works in my arch:)

Last edited by sntianren (2008-05-07 16:17:31)

#32 2008-05-07 20:57:14

sliponoga

It didn't help in my case. I've removed firefox, xulrunner. Then I've installed firefox3-systemcairo 3.0b5-1 and added export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/java/jre/lib/i386/client::/opt/java/jre/lib/i386 to my /etc/profile.d/jre.sh. Eclipse was still crashing during reading plugins metadata (Help|Software Updates|Manage Configuration was not able to locate install location). Then I've installed IBM Java Developers Kit for J2SE 6 and updated /etc/profile.d/jre.sh. Since then eclipse runs just fine. I think that strange behaviour of eclipse is somehow related to Sun's JRE, locale settings (pl_PL.UTF-8) and filenames encoding (using jfs with iocharset=utf8 mount option). IBM's JRE seems to be a little bit faster than Sun's one.

#33 2008-05-12 19:58:01

Condex

hubertstar wrote:

Not xulrunner or firefox bug I think!

For eclipse env,the java.library.path has same firefox/xulrunner path.

java.library.path depands LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH include firefox/xulrunner path.

so,before running eclipse,export LD_LIBRARY_PATH without firefox/xulrunner path will solved this problem.

I use a .sh file to startup eclipse.

./eclipse

I installed xulrunner and firefox.

Needn't remove/downgrade xulrunner and firefox. Those are BASE package for GUI.

This seems to work for me also.

I'm running Eclipse Europa Winter from Eclipse website. I need those J2EE modules and it's easier to get them this way.

During my tests:
-Eclipse seems to run without making that export thing... but when it tries to open Firefox for ANYTHING, it crashes. If I run Eclipse after running the export command, it opens Firefox without any problem.
-Code completion works perfect. With my local classes and with JDK classes.
-Firsts tests with J2EE applications and no problems so far. Simple test, a JSP file that opens a DB and generates a table from the data. I'll test JSF web apps later.
Problems found so far:
  -Web Tools Platform Web Page Editor, used to drag and drop JSF components to design web pages, doesn't work:
    -Running Eclipse without the export: Crashes when I try to open the JSF file.
    -Running Eclipse with the export: Doesn't crash, but fails after a few seconds with this screen: View Image. Tried installing Arch repo SWT, doesn't work, as it provides other file(3346 instead of 3349).

Thanks for the fix dude, I can get back to my homework again wink

Cheers!
Condex- cool

Note: When I say it crashes I mean, it starts using all CPU time and doesn't respond to commands.

Last edited by Condex (2008-05-12 21:41:31)

« Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero. »

#34 2008-05-13 16:57:09

Condex

More tests...

I've installed Kubuntu 8.04 on VirtualBox, and tried to get the same applications I have in this machine running, with the same versions if possible.

Sun JVM version is different:
-ArchLinux:

java version "1.6.0_05"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_05-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b19, mixed mode, sharing)

-Kubuntu:

java version "1.6.0_06"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_06-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b22, mixed mode, sharing)

Test results on Kubuntu:
-Eclipse version is the same, I've downloaded it from Eclipse site. After one hour testing, just found a crash(crashed when opening a XML file, only once), and some memory problems(expected, VM is running with 512 MB, and Adept-Firefox where open).
-SWT, Swing applications run ok on both systems... hmm (But on Arch I'm getting the libxcb assertion failure with Swing apps posted somewhere)

I don't want to leave Arch, I like it much more than Kubuntu, but I'm about to start my final college project, and I need everything running flawlessly...

#35 2008-05-16 15:09:18

Condex

More tests sad

Downloaded and installed by hand JDK6u6, the same version that runs on Kubuntu. Setup all environment vars.

condex@condexarch Eclipse $ java -version
java version "1.6.0_06"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_06-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b22, mixed mode, sharing)

Eclipse runs fine, until:
-I get the code assist up... then freezes sad
-Try to open a JSF web page using Web Page Editor, another freeze. sad

So, I'm installing again the JDK and the JRE that pacman wants, as well as the Eclipse version provided... and pray sad

More on this later...

#36 2008-05-16 19:39:25

Condex

I give up... I can't get Eclipse running properly sad

For those who read this post:
-With the fix posted earlier(LD_LIBRARY...). Eclipse will run ok. You can use it to develop desktop Java apps without almost any problem. It runs out of memory sometimes, but nothing worse.
-Web developing with JSF, and using WTP Web Page Editor is impossible. With the fix it fails with the error I posted a couple days ago. Without the fix, Eclipse crashes. JSF is a requisite for me, so I'll start looking for other solutions(AKA distros sad)...

Hope you have more luck than me with it sad
Condex- cool

Edited: Removed a comment about SWT that was erroneous hmm

Last edited by Condex (2008-05-16 20:15:57)

#37 2008-06-10 06:19:20

avelino

Try this:

1) pacman  -S extra/xulrunner
2) Edit /etc/ld.so.conf, and put this line: /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.8.1.14 (in my case, version is 1.8.1.14)
3) Run ldconfig

Eclipse run with firefox fine! big_smile

(sorry my english!)

Board footer