You are not logged in.

#76 2009-05-12 20:28:51

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Arch Linux on the Sony Vaio TZ [was 'Two-finger scrolling on Vaio TZ']

If you have the version with the SSD, there used to be a problem with earlier kernels putting the SSD into UDMA33 instead of UDMA66 (the default Samsung SSD does UDMA66, at least the 32 GB version).

I recently swapped for an Mtron Mobi 32 GB 1,8" ZIF and speeds nearly doubled in hdparm tongue. Bootup is incredibly fast, I'm always staring at my login screen before I know it big_smile (new SSD makes no difference in that wink).

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#77 2009-05-13 06:22:45

superstoned

I have a harddisk version, but I'm thinking about swapping it someday with a SSD - lighter, less power usage & faster ;-)

I'm also wondering if there is a way to get rid of the cd drive, I'll never use it...

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

#78 2009-05-13 09:17:34

superstoned

B wrote:

If you have the version with the SSD, there used to be a problem with earlier kernels putting the SSD into UDMA33 instead of UDMA66 (the default Samsung SSD does UDMA66, at least the 32 GB version).

I recently swapped for an Mtron Mobi 32 GB 1,8" ZIF and speeds nearly doubled in hdparm tongue. Bootup is incredibly fast, I'm always staring at my login screen before I know it big_smile (new SSD makes no difference in that wink).

Hmmm, those are about 250 euro's aren't they... Well, price will go down, I'm going to buy this one day big_smile

Was it hard to build it in?

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

Board footer