You are not logged in.

#126 2004-06-24 19:25:39

standsolid
Website

Re: GUI pacman? [update: new screenshots on page 7]

IceRAM wrote:
punkrockguy318 wrote:

...But, I've grown to live with it, and I use vim and gvim for everything.

After some time... you'll find that it's not that great wh:en you try to exit other editors with "<esc>:wq<enter>"

well links and less let you exit when you type <esc>:q -- helpful.

whenerver I use nano I alwyas have "i"s all over the place and the ocasional jjjkhlllklkkkjjjhhjjkk.

ewwwwww Arch is all gooey

#127 2004-06-24 23:11:49

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

vim takes a bit of practice if you aren't used to it... nano takes a bit of practice if you're used to vim, etc.

I'd say that the efficiency afforded by learning to use vim (read the entire manual many times) is worth the time spent learning it.

I've never seen a vim vs nano debate... what the heck happened to emacs? Does it work like this now:

emacs < nano < vim?

Here we gooooooooooooooooooooo....

#128 2004-06-24 23:20:27

standsolid
Website

not to steer us back on topic or anything...
but a heated debate between Vim and any other lesser editor is somewhat irrelevant to the topic of the userbase's feelings on a GUI for pacman.

Perhaps a new topic is in order?

But ayway --

I have my pacman GUI almost fully functional (the search function at least).  I have submitted a request for a sourceforge project and once I have it registered completely, I will begin using cvs for coding and such.  Also, I will reveal the project's uber-secret name

I will reward a browser cookie to whomever can guess the name before I announce it. smile

#129 2004-06-25 10:30:09

dpb

standsolid wrote:

I have my pacman GUI almost fully functional (the search function at least).  I have submitted a request for a sourceforge project and once I have it registered completely, I will begin using cvs for coding and such.  Also, I will reveal the project's uber-secret name

Ouch. Sorry, but you gone the wrong way. Sourceforge is evil and you should get away from, not go to it. Sourceforge doesn't use opensource software for their services! You'd be better off with gna.org or savannah.nongnu.org...

standsolid wrote:

I will reward a browser cookie to whomever can guess the name before I announce it. smile

pacman-gui ?

#130 2004-06-25 15:05:03

Evangel

I will reward a browser cookie to whomever can guess the name before I announce it.

i would prefer pkgui if its not in use by someone else.

#131 2004-06-25 16:51:40

i3839

Sourceforge evil? Because it's sponsored by Oracle?

Jeez, grow up...
-------------------------------

Wild guess: Pakman.

(Btw, your CVS seems to have a bunch of weird code there, hopefully it's a bug in webcvs or something like that, if not contact sf and ask them to fix it...)

#132 2004-06-25 19:51:47

standsolid
Website

i3839 wrote:

Jeez, grow up...
-------------------------------

Wild guess: Pakman.

(Btw, your CVS seems to have a bunch of weird code there, hopefully it's a bug in webcvs or something like that, if not contact sf and ask them to fix it...)

ding ding!  although I'm not sure if you can win a browser cookie by cheating and looking at SF.

in accordance with the lame KDE naming scheme pakman it is. 

I just found out that my project was accepted.

that CVS code is quite odd... looks like a VC++ project. perhaps there was another project called pakman that was booted from sf?

I am on lunch break atm, and had some time to work on pakman.  i'll make some pretty screenies

#133 2004-06-25 23:40:30

i3839

Only KDE programs start with a K, Qt programs can use whatever name they want though. So as long as you didn't use KDE specific crap then the K doesn't make any sense. I for instance do have Qt installed, but no KDE, so I will never install your program if it needs KDE stuff...

I think the old pakman was a PAK file manager, Quake and friends use those it seems.

Yeah, well, not really cheated. If I didn't give the hint then ok, you could have called it cheating, but it was obvious that I got it from SF. I don't want a browser cookie anyway...

Just to rub it in: It would be very silly if your app depends on KDE, because all it really uses is Qt and pacman. So it's either laziness or KDE has stuff that belongs in Qt.

#134 2004-06-25 23:43:35

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

paqman then... or for what a GUI frontend is worth, crapman...

#135 2004-06-26 00:01:41

dp
Website

pagman?

pakky?

paqueman?

xpacman?

kapman?

gapman?

... by the way: anyone want to write a php-frontend for pacman? this would e.g. be usefull to remote-update a server running arch

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#136 2004-06-26 00:08:10

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dp wrote:

... by the way: anyone want to write a php-frontend for pacman? this would e.g. be usefull to remote-update a server running arch

What's wrong with SSH?

#137 2004-06-26 00:11:43

dp
Website

Dusty wrote:
dp wrote:

What's wrong with SSH?

you cannot have nice images showing you a yellow pac-man eating pkgs :-)

nothing wrong with ssh - but if people have resources to make frontends, then it would for sure be cool to make a phpacman

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#138 2004-06-26 01:36:58

aCoder
Website

nothing wrong with ssh - but if people have resources to make frontends, then it would for sure be cool to make a phpacman

Let me know when it's done! wink

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#139 2004-06-26 01:39:09

standsolid
Website

i3839 wrote:

Only KDE programs start with a K, Qt programs can use whatever name they want though. So as long as you didn't use KDE specific crap then the K doesn't make any sense. I for instance do have Qt installed, but no KDE, so I will never install your program if it needs KDE stuff...

I think the old pakman was a PAK file manager, Quake and friends use those it seems.

Yeah, well, not really cheated. If I didn't give the hint then ok, you could have called it cheating, but it was obvious that I got it from SF. I don't want a browser cookie anyway...

Just to rub it in: It would be very silly if your app depends on KDE, because all it really uses is Qt and pacman. So it's either laziness or KDE has stuff that belongs in Qt.

Well, when you write a KDE app vs Qt you get the advantages of consistency throughout the KDE desktop.  I do agree that Qt should adjust to what platform it's on better and take care of this stuff, but until then -- you COULD just install KDElibs.

I also want the package manager to be tightly integrated with KDE (like in the control center).  It would be trivial, tho, to remove the KDE depencencies and the features it provides.  I noticed that most people who dont use KDE will avoid all Qt/KDE apps completely (usually complaints about how slow a Qt app loads)

As of now, my app is still in an unreleaseable state and things could change.... but it's probably going to end up exploiting KDE technologies to the max.

So it would be unfortunate that I'd lose a user over a desire not to have the kde-libs package installed, but I'm losing plenty by not making it in GTK2 already.

#140 2004-06-26 05:44:28

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dp wrote:

Just open an animated gif in a web browser window and have an ssh session in a terminal beside it.

#141 2004-06-26 09:19:42

i3839

standsolid wrote:

Well, when you write a KDE app vs Qt you get the advantages of consistency throughout the KDE desktop.

I'm starting to hate that "consistentcy", in practice it means that if you don't use KDE/Gnome/Whatever insane bloaty app you can't use that program without loading half of the required software.

I noticed that most people who dont use KDE will avoid all Qt/KDE apps completely (usually complaints about how slow a Qt app loads)

Qt apps don't load slow, KDE apps do if you don't have KDE loaded already.

but it's probably going to end up exploiting KDE technologies to the max.

Ok, that's a choice you make, and if you do make it a KDE app then the least you could is integrate it well...

So it would be unfortunate that I'd lose a user over a desire not to have the kde-libs package installed, but I'm losing plenty by not making it in GTK2 already.

True, but you could reduce that loss by not making it a KDE app.

Good luck

#142 2004-06-26 09:53:42

IceRAM
Website

i3839 wrote:
standsolid wrote:

Ok, that's a choice you make, and if you do make it a KDE app then the least you could is integrate it well...

Hmm... "exploit KDE technologies to the max"...
Why not integrate it in KPackage then? Make a module for it... you already have the whole interface set up.

Everybody running KPackage in other distros will find out of ArchLinux and its great package management system wink

#143 2004-06-26 19:43:20

standsolid
Website

IceRAM wrote:
i3839 wrote:
standsolid wrote:

Hmm... "exploit KDE technologies to the max"...
Why not integrate it in KPackage then? Make a module for it... you already have the whole interface set up.

Everybody running KPackage in other distros will find out of ArchLinux and its great package management system wink

except KPackage has a horrible UI

#144 2004-06-27 19:47:53

Paul

Dusty wrote:
Just open an animated gif in a web browser window and have an ssh session in a terminal beside it.

lol  lol  lol

#145 2004-06-28 00:05:39

oldtimer

Hey, even an Oldtimer likes the idea of a GUI "pacman"! I think you should call it "gpacman". Some may need to "dust ole Dusty off a bit"! The Oldtimer knows that "the times they are a changing"! Don't get left in the "dust" of change, Dusty my boy.  lol

#146 2004-06-28 00:40:05

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

bah. go back to mandrake.

#147 2004-06-28 03:00:47

linfocito

I think pacman and ABS are simple enough and a GUI frontend (even a curses one) isn´t necessary. But if it´s desirable for someone there´s no problem in someone doing and packaging it.

HOWEVER, a GUI browser for the package system, showing the names, descriptions, url and if the package is installed or not, allowing filters an searches could be a Good Thing IMHO.  (Just like CRUX´s yapo, but lighter, with less features).

"...archoholism is a hard disease to cure..."
Archlinux Brasil

#148 2004-06-28 04:39:25

oldtimer

Dusty wrote:

bah. go back to mandrake.

Never was a Mandrake fan, but I have used Red-Hat, Fedora and Debian. However, I do like apt-get and the Synaptic GUI front-end makes using apt a better experience; especially for an "oldtimer" like me!  roll

#149 2004-06-28 07:22:53

dpb

i3839 wrote:

Jeez, grow up...

No. Not because it's sponsored by Oracle. SourceForge itself is closed source.

You can find a good article about sourceforge here. It's a bit old, but still valid.

#150 2004-06-28 15:13:28

sarah31
Website

ooo. closed source is so evil  roll  roll

it is because of such opinions that the roll smiley exists.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer