You are not logged in.

#76 2009-01-08 04:43:11

r6

Re: Goggles Music Manager

Any chance of a Times Played and Last Played columns on the tracks?

#77 2009-01-08 15:33:16

GogglesGuy
Website

r6 wrote:

Any chance of a Times Played and Last Played columns on the tracks?

Yes, but at the moment there still some things I have to work out before I can add those.

#78 2009-01-09 10:15:21

skualito

GogglesGuy wrote:
skualito wrote:

Hmmm, I think my english is too bad. Reading further in this topic i saw a request for a "folder structure", and I guess it's what I meant by "display by directory". Not sure if it was clear or not.
Keep up the good work. MMG is now my default music application.

Just curious, why do you need to have the display by directory? Is that because the files don't have any proper tags and therefore mess up the album/artist categories? Or is it to avoid putting any files in the database at all?

Hi
Yeah, it's a tag problem, not all the file are tagged, and the ones that are render really messy from the database. I should though work on it. As workaround I organise the music by folder structure...

#79 2009-01-09 22:32:29

centos

Hi, first of all - thank you for the player.

If I may add something - I think view by directory sctructure is very useful, but not the way it's used in Amarok. I like it in foobar, where you set your music directory a then you see only that directory, not entire hard disk structure and by one click you'll see it's content, not clicking-until-last-folder-is-opened. smile And reason? Well, when you have in your music collection some "singles" directories with different artist in each track or some soundtrack, it can pretty mess up your music library (showing that many different artists among "real" artist with a few albums).

If it's not possible, what about making library of that "real" artists (which I have already) and creating a playlists with soundtracks, etc. I'd like if that playlists didn't affect library, which they do now (or have I missed something?).

Uff, hope that's clear, sorry for my English smile

Last edited by centos (2009-01-09 22:38:33)

#80 2009-01-10 03:22:01

GogglesGuy
Website

centos wrote:

Hi, first of all - thank you for the player.

If I may add something - I think view by directory sctructure is very useful, but not the way it's used in Amarok. I like it in foobar, where you set your music directory a then you see only that directory, not entire hard disk structure and by one click you'll see it's content, not clicking-until-last-folder-is-opened. smile And reason? Well, when you have in your music collection some "singles" directories with different artist in each track or some soundtrack, it can pretty mess up your music library (showing that many different artists among "real" artist with a few albums).

In general compilation albums (soundtracks,singles) kind of mess things up. If it's a real compilation album I usually tag them as "Various" or assign them to the biggest contributer of the album. The down side of that is ofcourse that you lose the real artist information per track and you have to put it somewhere like in the title of the track. This doesn't work very well with services like last.fm

So the next version of GMM will finally support both Artist per Track and Artist per Album information. This way you still can have one artist entry per album entry, but still have the individual artist information per track. I'm probably going to have an option to determine whether or not per track artist entries should show up in the artist list since some people might like that while others might not.

If your tags are set correct and with support of artist per track info, I don't think  there will be much need for per directory display (IMHO ofcourse). I will also add some options to force using the directory names for artist/album information even if there's a tag inside the file. That way you can make sure correct information is entered.

centos wrote:

If it's not possible, what about making library of that "real" artists (which I have already) and creating a playlists with soundtracks, etc. I'd like if that playlists didn't affect library, which they do now (or have I missed something?).

Uff, hope that's clear, sorry for my English smile

I'm not sure what you mean by playlists affect the library. Playlists are stored in the database and are basically a subset of all tracks (in a certain order).

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2009-01-10 03:22:57)

#81 2009-01-10 11:02:25

centos

ad 1) Thank you very much. It should fix that. In foobar it works this way, each track have different artist - track tag and whole album have one album tag (eg. Forrest Gump OST) and one albumartist tag (Various), so it's shown under one album and under one albumartist header - still having proper artist - track tags.

ad 2) I mean I have this folder structure:
-Music
---Album
-----many albums ...
---mp3
-----many folders with singles and soundtrack

So I made my Music Library from Album folder for not showing singles in it and wanted to create playlists for each album in mp3 folder. I hoped playlists and Music Library will be separated, but after creating a playlist and importing mp3 files that files showed up in Music Library (and messed it up) meanwhile new created playlist reaimed empty.

But it should be ok wih the new version.

What about storing and reading lyrics from tags?

Last edited by centos (2009-01-10 11:09:05)

#82 2009-01-10 16:58:50

GogglesGuy
Website

centos wrote:

ad 1) Thank you very much. It should fix that. In foobar it works this way, each track have different artist - track tag and whole album have one album tag (eg. Forrest Gump OST) and one albumartist tag (Various), so it's shown under one album and under one albumartist header - still having proper artist - track tags.

ad 2) I mean I have this folder structure:
-Music
---Album
-----many albums ...
---mp3
-----many folders with singles and soundtrack

I see your point. In the future I like to implement the concept of multiple collections; sort of a playlist, but without ordering and you can't have one file in multiple collections. Which probably also help your case.

centos wrote:

So I made my Music Library from Album folder for not showing singles in it and wanted to create playlists for each album in mp3 folder. I hoped playlists and Music Library will be separated, but after creating a playlist and importing mp3 files that files showed up in Music Library (and messed it up) meanwhile new created playlist reaimed empty.

But it should be ok wih the new version.

Right now the only way to import directly into a playlist is to drag-and-drop the directory or file to the playlist item.

centos wrote:

What about storing and reading lyrics from tags?

Yes, but not sure if I want to store it into the database or not. So i'm holding off for the moment.

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2009-01-10 16:59:31)

#83 2009-01-10 18:51:45

centos

GogglesGuy wrote:

Right now the only way to import directly into a playlist is to drag-and-drop the directory or file to the playlist item.

Well I tried this and it caused total freeze smile

I'm having problem now, I had to change sound output to Alsa because of my two sound cards (so players use my stereo instead only integrated repro in laptop) and GMM gives me Unable to open error. hmm Any ideas?

#84 2009-01-11 21:40:25

GogglesGuy
Website

centos wrote:
GogglesGuy wrote:

Well I tried this and it caused total freeze smile

That's no good. Can you reproduce it all the time? From which application are you dragging it?

centos wrote:

I'm having problem now, I had to change sound output to Alsa because of my two sound cards (so players use my stereo instead only integrated repro in laptop) and GMM gives me Unable to open error. hmm Any ideas?

Unable to open the soundcard I assume? All the xine configuration is held in ~/.goggles/xineconf. You could check if some setting is wrong there. Or delete the whole file, then xine should start from a fresh config. In the past, not being able to open the soundcard usually meant that some other application has exclusive access to it.

#85 2009-01-13 02:56:27

qwazi

I'm having a great time with gmm, with one relatively large problem.

When I delete entries from a playlist, gmm becomes unresponsive for a far longer time than I would think necessary.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  In most music programs, when I delete an entry from a playlist, there's no noticeable slowdown.

#86 2009-01-13 03:59:08

GogglesGuy
Website

qwazi wrote:

I'm having a great time with gmm, with one relatively large problem.

When I delete entries from a playlist, gmm becomes unresponsive for a far longer time than I would think necessary.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  In most music programs, when I delete an entry from a playlist, there's no noticeable slowdown.

Yes, that's currently a known issue. It needs to do a reordering of the playlists, which somehow takes a long time. I haven't found a nice solution that can fix this problem.

I think I have found the bottleneck. Probably be fixed in next release!

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2009-01-13 05:16:13)

#87 2009-01-15 11:42:33

centos

GogglesGuy wrote:

That's no good. Can you reproduce it all the time? From which application are you dragging it?

Well I tried it again and it works, so I've no idea what went wrong. Just assume it wasn't Goggles' fault smile

GogglesGuy wrote:

Unable to open the soundcard I assume? All the xine configuration is held in ~/.goggles/xineconf. You could check if some setting is wrong there. Or delete the whole file, then xine should start from a fresh config. In the past, not being able to open the soundcard usually meant that some other application has exclusive access to it.

Didn't help, neither did reinstall. Maybe the problem is that I have pulseaudio set to simultaneous output to two soundcards? Don't wanna change it for testing because as a Linux BFU there's a chance I will not set it back.

Last edited by centos (2009-01-15 12:11:48)

#88 2009-01-15 15:24:53

GogglesGuy
Website

centos wrote:
GogglesGuy wrote:

Well I tried it again and it works, so I've no idea what went wrong. Just assume it wasn't Goggles' fault smile

Ok. well it still might be usefull to know which app you used. It might be a problem in FOX as well.

centos wrote:
GogglesGuy wrote:

Didn't help, neither did reinstall. Maybe the problem is that I have pulseaudio set to simultaneous output to two soundcards? Don't wanna change it for testing because as a Linux BFU there's a chance I will not set it back.

The xinelib package in arch has pulseaudio disabled. The wiki has some hints how to make legacy ALSA apps work with pulseaudio: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio . Maybe that might help.

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2009-01-15 15:43:11)

#89 2009-01-15 17:11:46

centos

Thanks, will check it out.

I was importing with Gnome Commander, Nautilus or Krusader, It was week ago, I'm not sure smile But propably Gnome Commander.

#90 2009-01-19 16:34:11

centos

Oh, wait, before I'll do something..
I don't use Arch Linux, is that what you were pointing to?

#91 2009-01-19 17:00:09

GogglesGuy
Website

centos wrote:

Oh, wait, before I'll do something..
I don't use Arch Linux, is that what you were pointing to?

Well. it is the Arch Linux forum...  so yes, I was assuming you were using Arch.

#92 2009-01-19 18:23:12

centos

smile sorry then, I'm using Mint.

#93 2009-01-19 18:58:35

JT

First off, thanks for a wonderful player. It's fast and reliable. I honestly don't have any complaints, just one minor issue.

I set up a MPD Server on a separate box with Icecast2 as the audio output stream. I created a new Internet Radio station linking to that server, "http://thebox:8000/mpd.ogg" . . .

It fires up and sounds great, but the notification box doesn't update correctly. It displays the info of the song that JUST played, not the next track. If I open the manager, the bottom status will eventually show the correct song.

So my question is:
Is this a MPD/Icecast2 latency error? Or could it be a simple tweak for GMM?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JT (2009-01-19 19:01:37)

#94 2009-01-19 20:03:33

GogglesGuy
Website

JT wrote:

First off, thanks for a wonderful player. It's fast and reliable. I honestly don't have any complaints, just one minor issue.

I set up a MPD Server on a separate box with Icecast2 as the audio output stream. I created a new Internet Radio station linking to that server, "http://thebox:8000/mpd.ogg" . . .

It fires up and sounds great, but the notification box doesn't update correctly. It displays the info of the song that JUST played, not the next track. If I open the manager, the bottom status will eventually show the correct song.

So my question is:
Is this a MPD/Icecast2 latency error? Or could it be a simple tweak for GMM?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if it's a bug in GMM. It could also be in xine. Can you try playing the url throug xine itself and see if the title gets correctly set?

#95 2009-01-19 22:22:22

JT

GogglesGuy wrote:

Can you try playing the url throug xine itself and see if the title gets correctly set?

Interesting.
After starting the stream (in xine), it displays the correct song info. When the track is changing, the display reads "[ Buffering ##% ]," but once the buffer is done, it outputs the same title for about 3 seconds, then correctly updates to the new title.

Could it be something with the buffer?
Or simply network latency?

Thanks for your time,
JT

Last edited by JT (2009-01-19 22:50:02)

#96 2009-01-20 04:59:17

doorknob60

Nice! I'm surprised I've never heard of it before. In order for it to replace Exaile though, I need hotkeys, and some way of controlling it from Lxpanel (Hotkeys only I'll consider it though). Exaile simply allows you to stick control buttons in the system tray, and that works well. It's a very nice player though, despite it not looking that great with FOX (haven't messed with appearance much though).

#97 2009-01-20 09:58:25

alecmg

+1 for hotkeys
exaile and consonance have the command line "hotkeys" that you can bind to your key combination

Xyne wrote:
"We've got Pacman. Wacka wacka, bitches!"

#98 2009-01-20 15:29:20

GogglesGuy
Website

JT wrote:
GogglesGuy wrote:

Can you try playing the url throug xine itself and see if the title gets correctly set?

Interesting.
After starting the stream (in xine), it displays the correct song info. When the track is changing, the display reads "[ Buffering ##% ]," but once the buffer is done, it outputs the same title for about 3 seconds, then correctly updates to the new title.

Could it be something with the buffer?
Or simply network latency?

Thanks for your time,
JT

I just tried with a stream from streamingsoundtracks.com, I think it's a xine issue. I'll see if I can work around it.

#99 2009-01-20 15:33:03

GogglesGuy
Website

GMM does have commandline arguments to control a already running gmm:

http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/wiki/CommandLine

The other type 'hotkey' you're talking about,. I'm guessing, are the ones that are registered globally when the application is running. (this assumes no one else has registered that same key combination).

#100 2009-01-21 00:11:46

mgzzy

Things i'd like to have in gmm:
- Queue support. Currently it has nearly every feature that i use in mpd+sonata etc.. And only feature i miss was queue support in mpd. So adding queue will make gmm great for me smile

- It is hard to see what is playing now if i'm not using "Mini Player". Status bar text is too hard to notice. It would be good if you add that to the toolbar.
200901210209181152x834sjz3.th.png

- A toggle button in main window or in tray menu for enabling/disabling last.fm scrobbling quickly if user entered his last.fm information in prefences.

Last edited by mgzzy (2009-01-21 00:12:37)

Board footer