You are not logged in.

#101 2009-01-21 00:39:38

GogglesGuy
Website

Re: Goggles Music Manager

mgzzy wrote:

Things i'd like to have in gmm:
- Queue support. Currently it has nearly every feature that i use in mpd+sonata etc.. And only feature i miss was queue support in mpd. So adding queue will make gmm great for me smile

Not sure when, but it's definitly a planned feature.

mgzzy wrote:

- It is hard to see what is playing now if i'm not using "Mini Player". Status bar text is too hard to notice. It would be good if you add that to the toolbar.
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6659 … jz3.th.png

Yes, I've been thinking about that as well. For now, you can always do a Ctrl-J to quickly show the playing track in the tracklist..

mgzzy wrote:

- A toggle button in main window or in tray menu for enabling/disabling last.fm scrobbling quickly if user entered his last.fm information in prefences.

I can see why that could be handy. I initially didn't add it, since it would mean another button to press.

#102 2009-03-06 11:17:26

Skarjoko

I noticed I didn't have any music player up on this old laptop, so after getting the sound working I decided to give your music player a try. And wow, this is EXACTLY the kind of music player I needed. It has the Artist, Album and Track panes, which are of utmost importance to me, but it's also lightweight! I don't see why I'd use anything else now.

Just one thing: I'd like to be able to play tracks from an artist when I double click on them. I'd rather let it pick me a random song from an artist than pick one myself.

Thanks, and great work!

#103 2009-03-09 14:48:35

GogglesGuy
Website

Skarjoko wrote:

I noticed I didn't have any music player up on this old laptop, so after getting the sound working I decided to give your music player a try. And wow, this is EXACTLY the kind of music player I needed. It has the Artist, Album and Track panes, which are of utmost importance to me, but it's also lightweight! I don't see why I'd use anything else now.

I'm glad it works for you! Thanks for giving GMM a try!

Skarjoko wrote:

Just one thing: I'd like to be able to play tracks from an artist when I double click on them. I'd rather let it pick me a random song from an artist than pick one myself.

Next version will have something similar. When double clicking on  artist or album, it will start playing the first entry of the tracklist automatically. Now if you either sort the list randomly or turn on random playback it should do what you want.

#104 2009-03-18 03:56:50

Vipermaseg

Speaking about the personalization...

How is the thing of changing the themes? Only by changing the built-in icons?

PD: I made an Oxygen icon theme for goggles, but I only can change the icons by making a little change in the code and building it again.

A little piece of pie here:
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9292/oxygentheme.png

Last edited by Vipermaseg (2009-03-18 05:30:42)

#105 2009-03-18 12:50:12

GogglesGuy
Website

Vipermaseg wrote:

PD: I made an Oxygen icon theme for goggles, but I only can change the icons by making a little change in the code and building it again.

There is a special build option (./configure --external-icons) to always load icons from the icon theme directory. It's not enabled by default, since I
haven't tested it with the most common icon themes (naming differences screw things up). It should load icons with the tango spec though. In the preferences dialog you can select the directory from which to load the icons.

#106 2009-03-18 13:38:12

Rasi
Website

GogglesGuy wrote:
Vipermaseg wrote:

There is a special build option (./configure --external-icons) to always load icons from the icon theme directory. It's not enabled by default, since I
haven't tested it with the most common icon themes (naming differences screw things up). It should load icons with the tango spec though. In the preferences dialog you can select the directory from which to load the icons.

This should work on every gtk/kde4 icon theme, only kde3 can lead to trouble

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#107 2009-03-18 19:30:17

Vipermaseg

It works pretty good, I think you should set it by default.

#108 2009-03-19 15:30:09

GogglesGuy
Website

Vipermaseg wrote:

It works pretty good, I think you should set it by default.

Perhaps I should enable both the embedded icons in the executable and the option to load icons from whatever theme directory is specified.

#109 2009-03-21 17:28:01

Blue Peppers

Hi, I've just tried this out, and there are 2 features that I would give cpu cycles for (and that's a big sacrifice)

1. Fill in tags using MusicBrainz + a bulk version of this (something that persuaded me to use amarok for far too long)
2. Fill in tags from file structure + a bulk version of this

These are probabaly quite nasty things to code, especially MusicBrainz tag finder, but it would be nice to have them somewhere on a list of features for implementation. Good tagging is vital when people have larger (5000+) collections.

Thanks,

Laurie

Consistency is not a virtue.

#110 2009-03-21 19:04:39

GogglesGuy
Website

Blue Peppers wrote:

Hi, I've just tried this out, and there are 2 features that I would give cpu cycles for (and that's a big sacrifice)

1. Fill in tags using MusicBrainz + a bulk version of this (something that persuaded me to use amarok for far too long)
2. Fill in tags from file structure + a bulk version of this

These are probabaly quite nasty things to code, especially MusicBrainz tag finder, but it would be nice to have them somewhere on a list of features for implementation. Good tagging is vital when people have larger (5000+) collections.

Thanks,

Laurie

Musicbrainz looks like a lot of work. I happily accept patches though smile

From filestructure I assume you mean to parse the file and/or directory names to get tagging information?

#111 2009-03-21 19:55:09

Blue Peppers

From filestructure I assume you mean to parse the file and/or directory names to get tagging information?

I thought musicbrainz might be difficult. It would involve creating an audio footprint of the song and then syncing it with the MusicBrainz database as far as I can see. And yes, that is what I meant by file-structure, I.E. /$artist/$album/$tracknumber - $trackname - $comment.*

Consistency is not a virtue.

#112 2009-03-21 20:09:11

GogglesGuy
Website

Blue Peppers wrote:

I thought musicbrainz might be difficult. It would involve creating an audio footprint of the song and then syncing it with the MusicBrainz database as far as I can see. And yes, that is what I meant by file-structure, I.E. /$artist/$album/$tracknumber - $trackname - $comment.*

The current filename/dirname parser is kind of limited. (see http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/wiki/Import). Last week I've implemented a more general purpose parser which allows you to input a template so the parser knows what to look for. It's working pretty good and will be available in the next release.

#113 2009-04-12 16:41:01

steveov

This is great! I had never heard of it before but it was just what I needed.

#114 2009-05-31 14:46:10

GogglesGuy
Website

Good news everyone! I've released Goggles Music Manager 0.10.0. Hopefully soon in a community repository near you. Since it has been quite a while since last release, there have been quite a few fixes and new features.

One of the major improvements is the "per track artist" support which will handle "various artists" albums a lot better. Several audio improvements were made, including replay gain and a equalizer. If you want to give the replay-gain a try, make sure to reimport/resync all tags in the library.

Here are the full release notes:

- Database Improvements:

o Improved performance when modifying the database (importing & removing tracks)
      o Added fields for per track artist (issue 72)

- Import Improvements:

o Added "Sync Folder" capability, which can also update or remove tracks in the database if needed.
      o Added import exclusion filter for file and folders. (issue 84)
      o Redesigned import dialog. It now contains the import options that were previously in the preferences dialog.
      o Added a filename template input to grab track information from a filename. This replaces
        the less flexible "title from filename","album from directory" and "artist from directory".
      o Added option to choose where to read the track information from: filename, tag or both.
      o Replaced "Default Title", "Default Album", "Default Artist" and "Default Genre" with a single "Default Field"
        since most of time you would likely use the same text anyway.

o Removed the Import File(s) option. I don't think it's needed that much, and it reduces the number of choices a user has to make.
        Importing single files can still be accomplished through drag-and-drop.

o Remove wizard. Just show import dialog first time.

- Other Improvements:

o Added Localization Capability. (issue 3)
      o Added disc column to track view.
      o Allow multiple genre selection in browser.
      o Double click in artist and album list will start playing.
      o Added button to enable or disable last.fm scrobbler.
      o Equalizer with configurable presets.
      o Take into account the disc number when sorting albums.
      o Send cover art through dbus to notify daemon directly instead of saving it to disk.
      o allow to write tags when editing even if tracks have not been modified.
      o more flexible input to select which fields need to be searched (issue 51).
      o allow quoted strings in search field.
      o Support for Multimedia Keys.
      o Optionally display playing track in title bar.
      o The album list may now also be sorted by album year.

- Audio Improvements:

o The audio driver can now be changed. (issue 87)
      o Replay Gain (Only Ogg Vorbis, native FLAC and mp3 with APE tags).

- Filename Renamer

o The excluded character set may now be changed for the filename renamer.
      o Added year and disc parameters.

- Tray Icon Improvements:

o tray icon is now integrated within gmm. gmm-tray has been removed.
      o tray icon show/hide miniplayer as well.
      o volume may be controlled using the mousewheel.
      o middle mouse click will toggle between playing and pausing.

- Fixes:

o crash when sorting in Internet Radio view.
      o remember "Update Filename" setting in edit dialogs.
      o actually try alternative urls in PLS or m3u before failing completely.
      o correctly display playing track in playlists.
      o do not run event loop in dbus message callback.

#115 2009-05-31 18:12:32

Rasi
Website

GogglesGuy wrote:

Good news everyone! I've released Goggles Music Manager 0.10.0. Hopefully soon in a community repository near you. Since it has been quite a while since last release, there have been quite a few fixes and new features.

One of the major improvements is the "per track artist" support which will handle "various artists" albums a lot better. Several audio improvements were made, including replay gain and a equalizer. If you want to give the replay-gain a try, make sure to reimport/resync all tags in the library.

Here are the full release notes:

- Database Improvements:

o Improved performance when modifying the database (importing & removing tracks)
      o Added fields for per track artist (issue 72)

- Import Improvements:

o Added "Sync Folder" capability, which can also update or remove tracks in the database if needed.
      o Added import exclusion filter for file and folders. (issue 84)
      o Redesigned import dialog. It now contains the import options that were previously in the preferences dialog.
      o Added a filename template input to grab track information from a filename. This replaces
        the less flexible "title from filename","album from directory" and "artist from directory".
      o Added option to choose where to read the track information from: filename, tag or both.
      o Replaced "Default Title", "Default Album", "Default Artist" and "Default Genre" with a single "Default Field"
        since most of time you would likely use the same text anyway.

o Removed the Import File(s) option. I don't think it's needed that much, and it reduces the number of choices a user has to make.
        Importing single files can still be accomplished through drag-and-drop.

o Remove wizard. Just show import dialog first time.

- Other Improvements:

o Added Localization Capability. (issue 3)
      o Added disc column to track view.
      o Allow multiple genre selection in browser.
      o Double click in artist and album list will start playing.
      o Added button to enable or disable last.fm scrobbler.
      o Equalizer with configurable presets.
      o Take into account the disc number when sorting albums.
      o Send cover art through dbus to notify daemon directly instead of saving it to disk.
      o allow to write tags when editing even if tracks have not been modified.
      o more flexible input to select which fields need to be searched (issue 51).
      o allow quoted strings in search field.
      o Support for Multimedia Keys.
      o Optionally display playing track in title bar.
      o The album list may now also be sorted by album year.

- Audio Improvements:

o The audio driver can now be changed. (issue 87)
      o Replay Gain (Only Ogg Vorbis, native FLAC and mp3 with APE tags).

- Filename Renamer

o The excluded character set may now be changed for the filename renamer.
      o Added year and disc parameters.

- Tray Icon Improvements:

o tray icon is now integrated within gmm. gmm-tray has been removed.
      o tray icon show/hide miniplayer as well.
      o volume may be controlled using the mousewheel.
      o middle mouse click will toggle between playing and pausing.

- Fixes:

o crash when sorting in Internet Radio view.
      o remember "Update Filename" setting in edit dialogs.
      o actually try alternative urls in PLS or m3u before failing completely.
      o correctly display playing track in playlists.
      o do not run event loop in dbus message callback.

Very nice... thanks for this update...

A Question tho: Why only support mp3 with ape2 for replaygain? Its a bad hack that shouldnt even be supported imo... I know on linux we only have mp3gain and it only writes ape2 tags, but still its wrong.... id3v2 supports replaygain tags in TFXX frames. (Exfalso can write those btw...)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#116 2009-05-31 18:43:05

GogglesGuy
Website

Rasi wrote:

Very nice... thanks for this update...

A Question tho: Why only support mp3 with ape2 for replaygain? Its a bad hack that shouldnt even be supported imo... I know on linux we only have mp3gain and it only writes ape2 tags, but still its wrong.... id3v2 supports replaygain tags in TFXX frames. (Exfalso can write those btw...)

That is still on the TODO list. Patches are happily accepted that will read these.

#117 2009-05-31 22:15:29

Surgat_

Now that GMM supports localization, do you need help on translating? I'd be glad to help on a Spanish translation.

#118 2009-06-01 01:42:19

GogglesGuy
Website

Surgat_ wrote:

Now that GMM supports localization, do you need help on translating? I'd be glad to help on a Spanish translation.

That would be great!

#119 2009-06-01 11:19:16

Surgat_

Ok, just mail me through the forum the details and some instructions. This will be the first time I translate some piece of software, but I think I can do it.

Cheers!

#120 2009-06-01 13:03:15

CaptainHero

I could help on a German translation if needed. Instructions needed as well.

#121 2009-06-01 14:38:02

GogglesGuy
Website

CaptainHero wrote:

I could help on a German translation if needed. Instructions needed as well.

I'm using gnu gettext but I will post some basic instructions later this week on how to get started.

#122 2009-06-02 05:05:05

Vipermaseg

I can help with the Spanish translation too. I've already began to make some experiments.

After a while....

I don't know if it is right or not, but I did this:
http://pastebin.com/m7f934e08

The 80 first entries are supposed to be traduced to the Spanish.

Last edited by Vipermaseg (2009-06-02 06:01:40)

#123 2009-06-02 13:25:18

GogglesGuy
Website

Vipermaseg wrote:

I can help with the Spanish translation too. I've already began to make some experiments.

After a while....

I don't know if it is right or not, but I did this:
http://pastebin.com/m7f934e08

The 80 first entries are supposed to be traduced to the Spanish.

I don't know spanish, but it looks good to me. smile

#124 2009-06-02 13:51:58

anrxc
Website

Poedit is great for first time translators, it will take care of (almost) everything, you just need to focus on translation. One thing you need to think of, make sure that Plural-Forms are correct for your language.

One practical tip, beside various online dictionaries and translation tools that will help you when stuck, there is also a great project called Open-Tran that has a database of strings already translated in various open source software http://open-tran.eu/
Using Open-Tran you will not only ensure your translation is correct, but also that it's consistent with all other software translated to your language.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#125 2009-06-03 19:57:56

Vipermaseg

Great, thanks for the info. I'm going to keep translating.

I'm using Kde's Lokalize, tho.

P.S. Is Sugar_ still working on the Spanish translation?

Last edited by Vipermaseg (2009-06-03 20:13:12)

Board footer