You are not logged in.

#176 2009-09-22 09:50:56

guzz46

Re: Goggles Music Manager

Great player, light weight and super fast, only one small gripe though, in shuffle mode it does not seem to remember what songs have been played.

For example if there is an album with 10 songs being played and i skip to the next song it will often play a song that has just been played rather than going through all 10 songs.
Still my favorite player though

#177 2009-09-22 14:20:03

GogglesGuy
Website

AngryKoala wrote:

I've just installed it and from the looks of it, gmm will be my new default player.  Thanks for this great piece of software.

+1 for being fast with a fast startup
+1 for quick library import
+1 for easy multimedia key usage
+1 for good sound quality
+1 for configurable interface
+1 for good resource management/lightweight

I have a question about the equalizer though.  I've used a variety of music players (rhythmbox, banshee, amarok...) and most have equalizers that change the volume of the range of frequencies specified.  For instance, when the equalizer is flat, everything sounds just fine.  When I move the bottom 3 frequency ranges up in banshee, my subwoofers (yes I have subwoofers in my headset) make my headset vibrate enough that I can feel it with my hands from the outside.  However, in gmm, even if I turn all of them up 100%, not much happens.  I'm not a software dev nor am I a sound tech so I dont even know if that is correct functionality, but would you be able to clue me into something I should be doing or is it just the software?  Whatever the case, it's still a great program that gives me great sound.  Thanks.

I did notice the difference between Banshee and GMM. I can hear the increase in bass when I turn up the lower frequency in both players, but in banshee the difference seems to be much bigger. I also noticed that Banshee's range goes from +12 to -24 db, whereas GMM goes from +6 to -6db. Perhaps a increase in DB range should just do the trick.

For the record, GMM uses xine's internal equalizer. So sound wise, it should be pretty close to Amarok's equalizer ( with the xine backend )
Last time I looked at Amarok 1.4, their db range went from +12 to -12 (as far as I know, that range is complete bogus). Turning the lower frequencies all the way up should give the same result in both player.

#178 2009-09-23 09:36:38

AngryKoala

I ran into one problem that probably doesn't have to do with gmm itself, but I'll ask anyway.  The first 0.5-3 seconds of each song gets cut off, especially when I just let it play and move to the next track by itself rather than manually switching tracks.  What can I do to remedy this?  Thanks in advance.

#179 2009-09-23 10:05:22

sand_man

I just installed this for the first time and I think it's a great piece of software.
Only one problem though.
This stream is very jittery when played in gmm but runs fine in mplayer.
http://www.fresh927.com.au/streams/liveAAC.m3u

Is this a known issue?

-edit-
Sorry, I got it working. I changed the audio output to OSS. It must have been going through the alsa emulation before.

Last edited by sand_man (2009-09-23 10:08:38)

neutral

#180 2009-09-23 19:07:43

GogglesGuy
Website

AngryKoala wrote:

I ran into one problem that probably doesn't have to do with gmm itself, but I'll ask anyway.  The first 0.5-3 seconds of each song gets cut off, especially when I just let it play and move to the next track by itself rather than manually switching tracks.  What can I do to remedy this?  Thanks in advance.

Try toggling the "Gapless Playback" option the preference panel and see if you notice any difference. Does it happen to specific files types only?

#181 2009-09-23 19:11:36

GogglesGuy
Website

guzz46 wrote:

Great player, light weight and super fast, only one small gripe though, in shuffle mode it does not seem to remember what songs have been played.

For example if there is an album with 10 songs being played and i skip to the next song it will often play a song that has just been played rather than going through all 10 songs.
Still my favorite player though

In shuffle mode gmm doesn't keep track of which songs were played (and I'm not sure if that would be a good idea todo or not). Perhaps the "Shuffle" sorting of the tracklist would work for you better [View->Sort->Shuffle / Ctrl-R ].

#182 2009-09-23 19:12:57

GogglesGuy
Website

sand_man wrote:

I just installed this for the first time and I think it's a great piece of software.
Only one problem though.
This stream is very jittery when played in gmm but runs fine in mplayer.
http://www.fresh927.com.au/streams/liveAAC.m3u

Is this a known issue?

-edit-
Sorry, I got it working. I changed the audio output to OSS. It must have been going through the alsa emulation before.

I'm glad you got it solved. The stream works fine for me when using Alsa.

#183 2009-09-23 20:45:08

AngryKoala

GogglesGuy wrote:
AngryKoala wrote:

Try toggling the "Gapless Playback" option the preference panel and see if you notice any difference. Does it happen to specific files types only?

Playing a wma file by letting it move to the next automatically skips the first 5 seconds.  mp3's are fine.  Without gapless playback, the first 0.5 seconds of wma files are sped up and mp3's are fine.  m4a's are fine without gapless on, ogg's are fine without gapless on.  I guess that was the problem.  Thanks again.

#184 2009-09-23 22:10:23

GogglesGuy
Website

AngryKoala wrote:
GogglesGuy wrote:
AngryKoala wrote:

Playing a wma file by letting it move to the next automatically skips the first 5 seconds.  mp3's are fine.  Without gapless playback, the first 0.5 seconds of wma files are sped up and mp3's are fine.  m4a's are fine without gapless on, ogg's are fine without gapless on.  I guess that was the problem.  Thanks again.

I suspect there may be some problem with xine than.

#185 2009-10-03 23:27:15

Dogs1985

can i ask how to using scim to key in chinese or japanese?

#186 2009-10-05 15:37:16

GogglesGuy
Website

Dogs1985 wrote:

As I already said, I'm not sure if input is supported by FOX at the moment.

#187 2009-10-06 03:45:02

banshee28

Just installed it. Very nice. First time using this type of music manager, but I really like it and will keep it.

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

#188 2009-10-07 04:23:36

Godofgrunts

GogglesGuy wrote:
AngryKoala wrote:
GogglesGuy wrote:

I too am having this problem playing back FLAC songs. However, when I turned off gapless playback it's fine.

Also, so far I'm loving this GMM.

#189 2009-10-07 14:52:05

GogglesGuy
Website

Godofgrunts wrote:
GogglesGuy wrote:
AngryKoala wrote:

I too am having this problem playing back FLAC songs. However, when I turned off gapless playback it's fine.

Also, so far I'm loving this GMM.

Can you run gmm with:

gmm --xine-debug &> log

And send me the log file?

#190 2009-10-07 15:38:40

stefanwilkens

extremely fast, very nice. I might consider jumping ship to more fox based applications smile

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#191 2009-10-07 17:07:42

GogglesGuy
Website

Dogs1985 wrote:

So I decided to give it a try myself. Before you are able to use scim, you need to have FOX library with XIM support. Unfortunately, the one in the Arch Linux repository doesn't have this enabled. If you want to test it out you need to compile FOX yourself. Just get the latest 1.6 version from fox-toolkit.org and configure it with the following options:

./configure --with-xim --with-xft
make
sudo make install

Note the above will install FOX in /usr/local so it won't interfere with existing installation. If you want to make GMM use this library, all you need to do is to make sure the library search path is set correctly

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
gmm

Now you should be able to use the input methods the usual way.
Let me know how it works.

#192 2009-10-08 11:27:42

alecmg

I was quite frustrated today. I discovered after hours of editing tags of my files that they are not actually changed in the file, only in the music library of gmm.
How come?

Xyne wrote:
"We've got Pacman. Wacka wacka, bitches!"

#193 2009-10-08 13:14:14

GogglesGuy
Website

alecmg wrote:

I was quite frustrated today. I discovered after hours of editing tags of my files that they are not actually changed in the file, only in the music library of gmm.
How come?

Did you check the "Update Tag in File" option in the edit dialog?
Assuming you didn't clear the database, just select the tracks you have edited before and right click to edit them all, Make sure to check the "Update Tag in File" and optionally "Update Filename" if you want to update the filename itself and click Save.

#194 2009-10-09 06:52:39

Godofgrunts

Wouldn't you know it. I can't reproduce the problem... I'll run it in debug mode from now on and if the problem happens I'll let you know.

#195 2009-10-09 08:26:54

alecmg

GogglesGuy wrote:
alecmg wrote:

How come?

Assuming you didn't clear the database, just select the tracks you have edited before and right click to edit them all, Make sure to check the "Update Tag in File" and optionally "Update Filename" if you want to update the filename itself and click Save.

I will try that

If only I remembered which tracks I edited...

Xyne wrote:
"We've got Pacman. Wacka wacka, bitches!"

#196 2009-10-09 12:04:43

pritchard92

Amazing program. Love it.

However, I can't seem to get out of mini player mode.. Ideas?
I feel like such a helpless noob sad

EDIT:

Oooh, got it. F11 or Alt-F4. Maybe somehow embed a button into mini player mode for this? Incase anyone is like me and checks out options without really reading much about them. Could also make it hidable, so as not to get in the way of the people who do know.

Great program none the less. Going to use it for the few tracks that I have on my laptop, but also for radio streams smile. Thank you.

Last edited by pritchard92 (2009-10-09 12:08:44)

#197 2009-10-09 13:41:40

GogglesGuy
Website

alecmg wrote:
GogglesGuy wrote:
alecmg wrote:

How come?

I will try that

If only I remembered which tracks I edited...

Ofcourse you could just update all tags but depending on the size of your collection that could take a while. Other than that, I don't see any easy solution.

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2009-10-09 13:47:38)

#198 2009-10-15 07:23:13

Gen2ly
Website

Can I start gmm minimized?  I've tried:

gmm --toggle-shown
gmm --toggle-shown hide

But maybe I'm missing something?  Or is it not available.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#199 2009-10-15 14:23:00

GogglesGuy
Website

Gen2ly wrote:

Can I start gmm minimized?  I've tried:

gmm --toggle-shown
gmm --toggle-shown hide

But maybe I'm missing something?  Or is it not available.

Do you want  just minimized or minimized to tray?

#200 2009-10-15 15:19:12

GogglesGuy
Website

pritchard92 wrote:

Amazing program. Love it.

However, I can't seem to get out of mini player mode.. Ideas?
I feel like such a helpless noob sad

EDIT:

Oooh, got it. F11 or Alt-F4. Maybe somehow embed a button into mini player mode for this? Incase anyone is like me and checks out options without really reading much about them. Could also make it hidable, so as not to get in the way of the people who do know.

The 'close' button on the window should get you back to the regular window....

Board footer