You are not logged in.

#26 2008-05-22 21:39:56

Shadowmeph

Re: trying to install Arch with Ubuntu hardy already installed

well I finally have a desktop I am already liking this better then Ubuntu now I have to figure out my smoothwall firewall which should be easier since I don't have to boot into Ubuntu every time I want to check it

#27 2008-05-22 21:50:12

Shadowmeph

it took me a while to figure out why I was having problems and one of the major problems is that the http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide doesn't tell you that you have to ( or at least I did) install hal and fam manually  I spent a while searching around then found the pacman -S dbus hal command lol

#28 2008-05-22 22:07:28

Aaron
Website

Shadowmeph wrote:

it took me a while to figure out why I was having problems and one of the major problems is that the http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide doesn't tell you that you have to ( or at least I did) install hal and fam manually  I spent a while searching around then found the pacman -S dbus hal command lol

You're asked to install hal and fam and such when you install a desktop environment, as well as add them to your Daemons array.

#29 2008-05-22 23:15:28

Shadowmeph

I don't remember seeing andything asking me to to install  I think that the instructions assume that you already installed it and then asks you to add the hal and fam command to your Daemons array. anyway it is installed now I just have to figure out why after I installed the ati driver it is all light green hazy on my desktop and I cannot change my settings to the way they were before . my xorg config looks the same

#30 2008-05-22 23:39:09

czar

nah it doesn't assume
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide#HAL
just gotta read.

Your desktop settings are going to be affected by your DM not your xorg. I don't use ati drivers so idk bout your green haze

edit:

Shadowmeph wrote:

this is how I am doing it for now but it isn't goping to make the problem go away smile

Yea the point was to make sure that the problem was in your smoothwall and not in your arch.

Last edited by czar (2008-05-22 23:41:51)

#31 2008-05-23 00:12:59

Shadowmeph

Your desktop settings are going to be affected by your DM not your xorg. I don't use ati drivers so idk bout your green haze

oh . hmm  in ubuntu thats how you change the drivers ( of course after you have downloaded them darn I cannot change any of my desktop setting when I first logged in it was fine then I changed to the ati drivers ( because I plan on downloading enemy territory and most likely will need them) and after I rebooted I am stuck a resolution 480x640 or at least it look that way ,with out any real color.

Board footer