You are not logged in.

#251 2011-11-07 13:09:34

elysisone

Re: Arch Linux and Splashy, a big update

I have a problem...

I have done all what wiki says about Splashy but i had two issues and i am not sure if any of them was the problem.

First one. The wiki says we have to re-generate grub.cfg with the command "# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg", but i do not have GRUB2 but GRUB, so what command should I use?

Second one. When i change a theme the console says i have to update the initramfs with the next command: "update-initramfs -u", but everytime i try to use it it says "Command not found".

Until now i still have no splashy so i guess it's related to something of the previous steps. Anyone knows what should i do?

#252 2011-11-07 13:53:25

Zom

elysisone wrote:

I have a problem...

I have done all what wiki says about Splashy but i had two issues and i am not sure if any of them was the problem.

First one. The wiki says we have to re-generate grub.cfg with the command "# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg", but i do not have GRUB2 but GRUB, so what command should I use?

Second one. When i change a theme the console says i have to update the initramfs with the next command: "update-initramfs -u", but everytime i try to use it it says "Command not found".

Until now i still have no splashy so i guess it's related to something of the previous steps. Anyone knows what should i do?

Maybe you should have a look at the arch wiki instead of whatever other wiki you seem to be using: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Splashy

#253 2011-11-07 13:58:36

elysisone

Zom wrote:
elysisone wrote:

I have a problem...

Maybe you should have a look at the arch wiki instead of whatever other wiki you seem to be using: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Splashy

That one is the one i used.

#254 2011-11-07 14:45:56

Zom

elysisone wrote:

Well, where did you get instructions for update-initramfs then? The article doesn't even mention it at all.

Either way, you use mkinitcpio to rebuild your initrd,

mkinitcpio -p linux

if you use the standard arch kernel. For the grub question:

You now need to set quiet splash as you kernel command line parametres in your bootloader. The following is an example for Grub2 and /boot/grub/grub.cfg (the legacy Grub and Lilo follow the same pattern):

linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/... ro quiet splash

So, in other words, just edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, add quiet and splash to the end of the kernel line.

#255 2011-11-07 15:11:47

elysisone

Zom wrote:
elysisone wrote:

Well, where did you get instructions for update-initramfs then? The article doesn't even mention it at all.

Either way, you use mkinitcpio to rebuild your initrd,

mkinitcpio -p linux

if you use the standard arch kernel. For the grub question:

You now need to set quiet splash as you kernel command line parametres in your bootloader. The following is an example for Grub2 and /boot/grub/grub.cfg (the legacy Grub and Lilo follow the same pattern):

linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/... ro quiet splash

So, in other words, just edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, add quiet and splash to the end of the kernel line.

Thank you for your answer. I got update-initramfs from the console once I applied a splashy theme. Anyway, if things are as you said, then i have to say splashy doesnt work for me. Though before the daemons boot screen appears it seems i get for a second a flash screen like if splashy tried to start but didnt success.

Is there anyway to see a log or something to realize what could be the problem?

Last edited by elysisone (2011-11-07 15:12:29)

#256 2011-11-07 16:12:02

Zom

elysisone wrote:

Thank you for your answer. I got update-initramfs from the console once I applied a splashy theme. Anyway, if things are as you said, then i have to say splashy doesnt work for me. Though before the daemons boot screen appears it seems i get for a second a flash screen like if splashy tried to start but didnt success.

There might be, either /var/log/splashy.log or in /var/log/daemon.log. I don't actually use this myself anymore, so I'm not sure how I can help you unfortunently. hmm

#257 2011-11-07 16:44:28

elysisone

Zom wrote:
elysisone wrote:

There might be, either /var/log/splashy.log or in /var/log/daemon.log. I don't actually use this myself anymore, so I'm not sure how I can help you unfortunently. hmm

Okay, nevermind. I installed Plymouth and it works just fine n.n

#258 2011-11-25 21:24:04

adrian9116

Same error happens to me. The splash blinks and disappears, then the kernel keeps booting. It says error -10, I have read it has something to do with splashy not being able to load the fonts properly, any workaround for this issue?

#259 2011-12-04 11:28:16

marko90

The same happens to me: splashy blinks and closes.
Dec  4 11:04:39 localhost kernel: [    5.268225] splashy[179]: segfault at 0 ip   (null) sp bfe2a94c error 4 in splashy[8048000+5000]

#260 2012-10-02 13:12:34

bassu

Both splashy and fbsplash don't seem to be in active development or at least under active package management.
Plymouth is way to go, if you're looking for a stable splash tongue

Last edited by bassu (2012-10-02 13:12:57)

The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge!

Board footer